Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Never let the game be an arena for real life. Never never never.

You can't be afraid to call out the DM if they're being petty. This is a game and if they want to turn it into their own personal pissing funnel they must not be allowed to do so.

Don't let the geek social fallacies warp your life and your mind!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Had an amazing time playing 4e with my wife some friends at my FLGS. Rolled up a Dwarf Invoker, and we were beset upon by some undead. Told my party to focus on the other side of the combat, I have this side, I got into position, went to use Rebuke undead.... and rolled a critical fumble. The entire table went silent. Apparently the DM uses the Gamemastery Critical Fumble and Critical Hit decks, so I wound up tripping over my beard and doing damage to myself. Then the next turn I went to take care of them with an AOE attack.. and I critical fumbled again. It happened to another player too. Twice in a row, 1's.

I was at half health, and the monsters didn't even hit me yet. Then, at the end of the session, both my wife and I rolled natural 1's doing active perception checks. I have never, ever seen a table roll so many 1's, and it was hilarious and we had an awesome time.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Not really a gaming experience but gaming related.

Apparently some guy named James owned a game store at one point and a bunch of people on BoardGameGeek never got their games from a series of eBay auctions. Later his business partner shows up selling the rest of the business's inventory. People think it's shady and it goes back and forth for about 8 pages but the business partner ended up being legit and people get their games.

Then someone mentions James is now on the run from the police.

Based on the news articles it looks like he was some kind of family cult leader and was molesting their homeschooled children and they were living in their store in the mall at one point.

Oh and he may have been sockpuppeting one his daughters on MTGSalvation to make her look psychotic, the one that ran away and brought all this to light.

What the gently caress?

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

Then someone mentions James is now on the run from the police.

The guy was found and caught by US marshals in Chicago, IIRC.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

RoleModel posted:

The guy was found and caught by US marshals in Chicago, IIRC.

I am intrugued by this story and would like to know more about it. Unfortunatly my google-fu is weak, and mostly gets me Jim Jones and Jonestown related results.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
If there's anything my most recent D&D group has taught me, right or wrong, it's this: Never make a campaign based around legacy weapons.

Looking back on it, it was pretty much doomed from the start. The group is being DMed by one of my old high school friends, who is a great guy, but is definitely a better player than he is a DM. The party currently consists of a Chaotic Neutral Hexblade who has no back story what so ever named after the bus driver from Borderlands, a Chaotic Neutral Wood Elf Mary Sue As gently caress Scout who left a noble family because it was boring, a Chaotic Good human rogue whose backstory was pretty much resolved within itself, so his entire purpose for being in the campaign was he wanted money, and my urban ranger/watch detective, a elf who seeks to bring a former friend turned assassin to justice. It should come as no surprise that there's a bit of disparity between how much roleplay the players in our party want. Myself and the Rogue are pretty much the driving force of the party during non-combat, while the Scout acts like a bumbling ditz and the Hexblade doesn't roleplay at all. There was also a cleric and a sorcerer in the party for the first session who didn't show up again afterwards.

The first session started pretty normally: our characters get hired to investigate the potential presence of a death cult known as the Brotherhood of the Cloak in a tomb near the city. We are also warned that they may be trying to unearth various "weapons of legacy", powerful artifacts capable of untold destruction. Also the previous group of undead slayers they sent in never returned. We get to the tomb and find that, for some reason, 5 undead or corrupted heroes of legacy are within the tomb, and we basically kick the poo poo out of them with little effort save for one. Mind you, this is a campaign that started at level 4.

The one exception to this was an Elven Hero named Silverlight. He wanted to fight each of us in one on one combat, which was basically an excuse for this Mary Sue to stomp each and every one of us. Our Hexblade went first and fought him straight up and lost horribly. I decided to go next, as I had a plan in the works. Silverlight fought each person in what can only be described as a boxing ring about 30 feet long and wide with a force wall surrounding it during combat. My character had picked up a magical ring of concealing mist, which can create a 15 by 15 foot square of mist 3 times per day for 3 rounds each. The mist grants total concealment, so I figure I could try my luck and plink away at Silverlight. I mean, we are obviously not supposed to win in a straight up fight. I step into the arena, activate the ring, only to have Silverlight teleport to me and say "I can see you". I'm pretty sure the DM said it was because his eyepatch was magical or something like that. 25 damage later, my rear end is booted out of the arena, and I get to sit for an hour while the rest of the party takes their lumps.

As you can probably guess, this became a theme in the campaign.

What eventually I found out was that the session served the purpose of demonstrating how badass the weapons were, which leads me to believe now that the weapons themselves are DMPCs in their own right. The campaign isn't about our characters, its about the weapons. My character got Shadewrath, a bow wielded by an assassin who silenced 9 royal families. She also made a successful save or die against my character, who got bullshitted back to life at the end of the session. I should have left it then and there. I didn't. :v:

And it got so much worse. I'll write more up later when I'm not so tired.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Randalor posted:

I am intrugued by this story and would like to know more about it. Unfortunatly my google-fu is weak, and mostly gets me Jim Jones and Jonestown related results.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/546780/gbjauctions-again has a lot of the info linked.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My recent run of Cairn of the Winter King went kind of off track. It's supposed to be a straight dungeon crawl with about 10 encounters and a few minor sidequests. My guys managed to skip the entire dungeon, then joined forces with the end boss, only to rethink it after a few months and straight up assassinating him in the dead of night with very little trouble in a semi-epilogue. I guess there were a number of things I could have done to get things back on track but everyone had fun and we got through the thing in one session. Good times.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

TOOT BOOT posted:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/546780/gbjauctions-again has a lot of the info linked.

Follow up to this:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-us-marshals-alleged-sex-offender-from-iowa-nabbed-on-nw-side-20120419,0,5540156.story

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts

TOOT BOOT posted:

:stare: those poor children!

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

So I had a statistically impossible minion in my encounter today. This thing lasted 7 rounds, against 6 people. We could not physically hit it. It ended up knocking 2 people unconcious (mage and cleric) and on it's death trigger it ended up full out killing our cleric.

It must have been such a proud goblin- he shall forever be remembered.

The stats of the thing:

1 HP
14 AC
12 Fort
10 Reflex
11 Will

Deals 6 damage on hit. When it dies it deals 6 damage vs. Fortitude in close burst 1

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Tell the player of the dead cleric to make their next character that Goblin after he clawed his way out of hell.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
You can make a Revenant Goblin easy enough, yeah.

But JESUS that's some crazy odds. You'd have to be rolling below ten for the Vs AC or WELL below 10 for the NonAC stuff every single attack even with a party of level one characters.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Chaltab posted:

Tell the player of the dead cleric to make their next character that Goblin after he clawed his way out of hell.

Revenant (Goblin) Vampire or Blackguard (or both)

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Clearly, that Goblin needs to be restored to life as a holy warrior in the name of his god. He's already proved his worth, after all.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.

Section Z posted:

You can make a Revenant Goblin easy enough, yeah.

But JESUS that's some crazy odds. You'd have to be rolling below ten for the Vs AC or WELL below 10 for the NonAC stuff every single attack even with a party of level one characters.
Sometimes things work that way. The players in my group tend to have an innate ability to lower an enemy to 1 HP, then miss for several rounds before finally killing it. I think the longest (with seven players), was about four rounds.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
For me and the people I play with with increasing infrequency on message boards, our great failures are Save throws. A trend set from the first fight we ever did and onwards. Oh look, we beat our first encounter against a couple giant spiders with a few people only being hit once, or not at all!...

Oh, 2/3 of the party almost died because they just cant effing make a saving throw, even with people making aid checks. Where we are now? I'm failing my save throws vs ongoing damage again (Superior Fortitude feat is payin for itself, I tell yah. Bless you damage reduction vs Ongoing).

It could be worse though. We could be in the land of Save Or Die.

Our other problem? We hate rolling threes more than we hate rolling ones at this point.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 26, 2012

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

One of my friends played a ranger who was notorious for almost never missing, but almost never succeeding on saving throws. During one part of our campaign we were in a swamp/forest environment with a lot of enemies using poison attacks. I think the quickest he saved against ongoing poison was 4 rounds, but it usually lasted a lot longer. He flavored it as his rugged ranger purposefully exposing himself to these poisons to try and work up an immunity (which, based on his saving throws, never really worked).

masam
May 27, 2010
So i just played "Aye, Dark Overlord" for the first time tonight. I'd heard good things about it and the game store i frequent wound up having it this afternoon in a lucky break, and i snapped the thing up quick. After a few shaky rounds we went over to a friend of ours who is the board game guru of the area and helped us out a bit. I unfortunately earned the dark lords ire but because of that i got to be him for our next round.

I decided to start off my sniveling minions on guard duty the night prior and when i woke up, there were footprints, and my left arm was missing. Long story short it winds up that one of them found my evil overlord to-do-list and attempted to help it along by sabotaging the other evil beings near by, and cement my place as evil overlord of the month at the next OFTAoE (that's Overlords for the Advancement of Evil)however they attempted to do that by selling my relics, such as my pet, my arm, my staff, my shoes, and my book, to the other overlords as a set up, release a few of my monsters into the bazaar, and make off with my stuff, and every other evil overlords stuff in the process, obviously they screwed it up, and i lost all of my things.

So for the last round, (everyone had a level two withering look by this point. If you're not familiar, it's a 3 strikes you're toast system.)I ask whose insipid idea this was. I was also given a skull mask as a prop when this started and had been wearing the thing to be in character. Why is it important you ask? a friend of mine ended the game while pointing to another player by yelling, "It's all his fault your lordship! It all started with his stupid idea to sell your skull!" and then she laid down the skull card, took the mask off my head and hid it under the table.

so we all stopped for a moment and laughed ourselves silly because I, the evil overlord had been grilling them for information the entire time, without realizing my head was missing. best game ever!

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I'm glad to hear a good story for that game. I just picked it up and I'll probably play it for the first time with my group next week. Gloom went over well and has similar improv aspects so I think it will be a hit.

I could have played it last week, but I wanted to get card sleeves before playing (I've read the cards aren't made well), so I ordered some FFG sleeves (which are very good sleeves, btw) from my FLGS and went to pick them up.

Then I made the mistake of chatting with one of the basement dwellers there. He was reading a Dark Heresy book and I'd overheard someone say they just started a DH campaign so I chatted him up about that. Turns out it was an online thing on some forum I've never heard of. I mention I had an IRL Pathfinder game later that night, but that I didn't care for the ruleset, preferring 4e or, even better, FATE or WH40k RPG.

What followed was a spewing forth of every grognard talking point torn to shreds in grognards.txt. My brain shut off when he said 4e was just WoW on the tabletop, was unrealistic (referring to fighter-magic), and didn't allow for role-playing (just roll-playing :rolldice:). You know how insufferable the people in grognards.txt come off? They're like that in real life too.

The moral of the story is that the worst thing about role playing games is the people who play them.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

I played Aye, Dark Overlord for the first time with my group last weekend. It is amazing. Our D&D is more hack & slash dungeon crawl than roleplaying so I was afraid the group wouldn't be into it, but 5 beers later we had a powermad Overlord handing out Withering Looks when minions used only 5 honorifics when addressing him while everyone was pointing fingers and blaming each other for losing the troops, not stealing the treasure and getting chased by dragons.

This is a game about backstabbing, lying and putting your friends in incredibly complicated situations when at any moment the whole thing can explode. I love it so much.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Clanpot Shake posted:

What followed was a spewing forth of every grognard talking point torn to shreds in grognards.txt. My brain shut off when he said 4e was just WoW on the tabletop, was unrealistic (referring to fighter-magic), and didn't allow for role-playing (just roll-playing :rolldice:). You know how insufferable the people in grognards.txt come off? They're like that in real life too.

There are some members in my local gaming group like this. Funny thing is, they're quick to complain about someone setting up a 4e game, but they never take the initiative and set anything up for Pathfinder. Seems like they're content making snippy remarks and not playing anything as opposed to gaming with a different system and having fun.

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

Verdugo posted:

There are some members in my local gaming group like this. Funny thing is, they're quick to complain about someone setting up a 4e game, but they never take the initiative and set anything up for Pathfinder. Seems like they're content making snippy remarks and not playing anything as opposed to gaming with a different system and having fun.

Surely, these are the customers WotC should be courting with the latest edition of dungeons and dragons!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I've had experiences with grogs who hate 4e, although my personal one wasn't quite as abrasive and didn't make any WoW references.

He did go after me about "not having played a REAL game of D&D" because I play PbP online though.

Naturally, he also constantly rubbed the fact that 4e was all about mechanics and had no roleplaying, ignored my comments about 3.5 letting you ascend to godhood at Level 1 (Pun-Pun! :v:), and didn't think Wizards, Clerics or Druids were overpowered (probably because he hadn't played his current game past about level 5 or 6).

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Interesting thing happened last time on the continuing campaign of Optima, Ick'ee and all: 8 DM crits! In one encounter!

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

ungulateman posted:

I've had experiences with grogs who hate 4e, although my personal one wasn't quite as abrasive and didn't make any WoW references.

He did go after me about "not having played a REAL game of D&D" because I play PbP online though.

Naturally, he also constantly rubbed the fact that 4e was all about mechanics and had no roleplaying, ignored my comments about 3.5 letting you ascend to godhood at Level 1 (Pun-Pun! :v:), and didn't think Wizards, Clerics or Druids were overpowered (probably because he hadn't played his current game past about level 5 or 6).

When I asked the guy behind the counter at the nearby FLGS if they were running any public D&D, he said no but he would personally run something for me "in anything but 4th Edition".

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Dr Nick posted:

When I asked the guy behind the counter at the nearby FLGS if they were running any public D&D, he said no but he would personally run something for me "in anything but 4th Edition".

Which boggles the mind, because these guys are supposed to be SELLING that stuff to customers. Why would they be operating a gaming store if they hate the lines they are carrying? Obviously they're not running DCI 4e stuff, which only hurts them.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Dr Nick posted:

The guy who runs my FLGS has a similar opinion but isn't so hostile to it. Definitely misses the point of 4e getting new players into the game, which for a business owner (presumably) is astounding. I really only go there for boardgames and accessories.

I had to custom order the LoA rulebook. He'd never heard of it.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

ungulateman posted:

Feels like a good time to share my 4e hate story.

We'd gathered for a Saturday game and grabbed lunch before hand, on the way out someone started yelling at one of my friends (J) that he'd opened the car door to much and dented the car next to us, he hadn't and we told the guy he was crazy and left.

An hour later we're well into our 4e game when a cop shows up at the house looking for J, after the door had been opened but before J made it over there the officer stuck his head and and yelled "What are you guys playing, D&D?" in a rather sarcastic tone and we all shared the same look of "Oh good, this cop's gonna give us poo poo for playing D&D fun."

We informed him that yes, we where playing the newest edition of D&D and his response was "What? You're playing fourth edition? That's for babies." We than proceed to have discussion about new editions. While we didn't bring him around to trying it he did concede that new editions aren't always a bad thing and often a good way to bring in new players. Also J didn't get in any trouble so it was a good ending all around.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Verdugo posted:

Seems like they're content making snippy remarks and not playing anything as opposed to gaming with a different system and having fun.

There was this grognard at my local store that spent ages just hovering around the table while we were playing 4e, telling us how dumb it was that the fighter was doing interesting stuff and how the wizard shouldn't be able to cast Magic Missle that much. Finally I asked him if he'd ever played, which he hadn't. So I asked him if he wanted to at least try it, and he reluctantly agreed to make a character and sit in next session.

He showed up with three or four books that he printed up himself and put in a three ring binder (while loudly bragging in a store that sells said books about how he totally didn't give Wizards any money for this terrible edition), and an elven cleric that had 18 dex and used a bow. He complained loudly when he missed (maybe his 10 cha and 12 wis were the problems?), which was often. He complained loudly when anyone did anything that was different than previous editions. He complained loudly when an employee asked him to please stop complaining so loudly.

So basically it seems some grognards are content making snippy remarks while playing a different system, much to the chagrin of anyone else involved.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
That cop story about 4e is hilarious. A cop, and a grognard! Should have told him to make a perception check to see if J was there.

I have the naive outlook that maybe if these people would just let go of their impressions and have fun, they can have fun playing any game system, instead of being married to 3.5 / Pathfinder / Gurps / 4e / whatever. I tell all my RPG friends that the only reason I do this stuff is to have fun, and when I stop having fun, I'm not playing, doesn't matter what system. Example, I'm going out to play Gamma World tonight, never played it before, but I know the DM and I think we're going to have an awesome time nevertheless. THere are people I will play with whatever system they DM because I know the session is going to be good -- and there's people I wouldn't go play with no matter what they were running. It's not about the game system at all but about the community.

Rant over I guess. I only am griping at the mythical grognard who is alive and well in my local gaming community and drives me up the wall.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
A true copnard you could say.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Verdugo posted:

Example, I'm going out to play Gamma World tonight, never played it before, but I know the DM and I think we're going to have an awesome time nevertheless.
Gamma World owns bones so you have nothing to fear.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Verdugo posted:

That cop story about 4e is hilarious. A cop, and a grognard! Should have told him to make a perception check to see if J was there.
You mean a Spot check, 4rry swine :reject:

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Chaltab posted:

You mean a Spot check, 4rry swine :reject:

Don't you mean 4ron? :v:

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

4nicator.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib
As entertaining as the next seven or eight 4e pun posts will doubtless be, Pathfinder also has Perception checks.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

some loving LIAR posted:

As entertaining as the next seven or eight 4e pun posts will doubtless be, Pathfinder also has Perception checks.

Well, no TRUE Scotsmangrognard would use a Perception check.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Skill Focus: self-awareness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

some loving LIAR posted:

Yes, but I've yet to see a single Pathfinder pun.

A system is only as interesting to grogs as the derogatory nicknames that can be made from its designation. :colbert:

See also: Buttsexbox, Gaystation.