Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
Man I was kinda hoping this thread wouldn't take off so I wouldn't feel bad for missing it :(

I'll be back in Salem for a bit this summer if you guys end up having round two and need beers and a diesel to pick on. I would go to a Chicago area AI meetup but I'd probably just get raped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I really need to flush my brake fluid. Does anyone have a power bleeder they can bring and/or want to help me do it?

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Turns out VIP didn't tighten my alt belt because it's still loose as poo poo.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

commissargribb posted:

Turns out VIP didn't tighten my alt belt because it's still loose as poo poo.

It's VIP, I can't say I'm really all that surprised.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Opensourcepirate posted:

I really need to flush my brake fluid. Does anyone have a power bleeder they can bring and/or want to help me do it?

I just did mine last week on the GTI. Ill bring the bleeder along and help you out. Start putting PB Blaster or something on the bleeders right now so they don't break off like last time.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Thanks man. I think perhaps I should bring an extra bleeder screw as I remember one of them being weird and barely sealing when I screwed it back in. Any idea what size I'd need? It would on one of the drums.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

chrisgt posted:

It's VIP, I can't say I'm really all that surprised.

yeah right?

They did do the free whatever point inspection thing and pointed out some things for me to keep an eye on which was cool.

I fixed the belt today in the driveway. Super easy.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kastein posted:

Easy, just ban anyone who shows up because of this thread :frogout:

:smith: and I was hoping to stare at the rust.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

some texas redneck posted:

:smith: and I was hoping to stare at the rust.

Oh.. I think we can make an exception. You have the rustiest Nissan in Texas, don't you?

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

ACEofsnett posted:

Oh.. I think we can make an exception. You have the rustiest Nissan in Texas, don't you?

The rustiest nissan in Texas would probably pass for "like new" in Maine.

Except for the sun baked clearcoat.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I'm going to try and make it to this if possible.

I'd also like to offer my workshop in Nashua for future events. We have a 9000lbs. asymmetrical Rotary lift, lots of space, and within the next couple weeks should be getting a CNC plasma cutter that will do 3/4" steel or better. Hell, if any of you live nearby and want to drop by some night or weekend to use the facility, I'm there all the time.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

ACEofsnett posted:

The exhaust has a bit of surface rust. So yeah, i guess it is.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Hillridge posted:

I'd also like to offer my workshop in Nashua for future events. We have a 9000lbs. asymmetrical Rotary lift, lots of space, and within the next couple weeks should be getting a CNC plasma cutter that will do 3/4" steel or better. Hell, if any of you live nearby and want to drop by some night or weekend to use the facility, I'm there all the time.

I wanna see that CNC plasma cutter!!! That sounds badass.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Hillridge posted:

Fab me rally car poo poo k thx

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I'll be sporting a :krad: new scar, automotive-related.
:nws:
http://i.imgur.com/Pwa1O.jpg

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Hillridge posted:

make me a spare tire carrier and a new roll cage.

:3:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

sharkytm posted:

I'll be sporting a :krad: new scar, automotive-related.
http://i.imgur.com/Pwa1O.jpg

'Splain please :allears:

(edit):Oof

(edit2): Hero staus: achieved.
Faith in human nature: restored

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 23, 2012

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

PainterofCrap posted:

'Splain please :allears:

Only for you...
I was a witness to an auto accident, 2-cars, with one car veering off into the woods and hitting a tree. The woman driving was knocked out, face down in the passenger seat... couldn't tell if she was breathing, or if the car was about to catch fire (its been wicked dry here on the Cape). I was on the phone with 911, and literally had the phone in my left hand, my Leatherman in my right, and broke the passengers side window to get to her and potentially drag her out/start CPR. Turns out she was breathing, she gasped once I shook her shoulder. Needless to say, my glass-breaking skills aren't the best, and my arm hit the window frame and impaled itself on the glass. Two hours of surgery to remove the shards of safety glass from my arm, several dozen stitches, etc... Scary poo poo.

:edit:
/\/\/\ Thanks. Not trying to do anything but what I thought was right.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 24, 2012

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Welp

My top might actually match my doors by the time I get down there. :3:

Is everyone still interested in getting free BDUs when I come to NEAIfest? Katie says when I bring them down to MA I'm not allowed to bring them back because keeping nearly 10 years worth of old military uniforms is hoardy.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I will take free BDUs.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
^^I'd be down for BDUs as well^^

Still not 100% sure I'll be able to make it, but I'm going to try drat it. I am sadly rather low on things to contribute for the destructofest, except for a rusty gutted SVX door we could put thermite on / hit with hammers / run over with the muddin trucks / just loving blow up. Buuut, it won't fit in my rather useless car. :saddowns: Hopefully I'll able to take care of my poo poo lifter by then but if not, y'all are gonna get to see it as a clacking hoopty with no engine plastics and peeling valve covers! :haw: I hope it's done by then

My car can fit tons of beer in it though, so I'll bring that at least, and maybe some stuff to grill up too - if I can figure out a way to ensure lack of rottenness by the time I arrive, that is. I'm thinking it'll take me somewhere between 3 - 4 hours driving.

Question - I know we've got a date, but has a general let's-get-this-poo poo-started time been figured out yet? I assume most people don't want to be that guy who shows up 2 hours ahead of schedule and awkwardly sits around while the host / hostess tries to get everything in order.

Also - I have a friend who's not an AI'er but would love the poo poo out of everything being discussed ITT and doesn't get to do any of it out here. Can we bring non-AI'ers? :ohdear: It would just be the 2 of us, since I don't know any small children or double amputees that would be able to fit in my back seats for more than 3 minutes.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Opensourcepirate posted:

I will take free BDUs.

They make excellent coveralls/wheeling clothes since they're ripstop and dark colored/patterned. Throw em on, proceed to soak yourself in transmission fluid, grease, dirt, 100 year old engine oil etc and take em off when you're done.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

commissargribb posted:

They make excellent coveralls/wheeling clothes since they're ripstop and dark colored/patterned. Throw em on, proceed to soak yourself in transmission fluid, grease, dirt, 100 year old engine oil etc and take em off when you're done.

I do that in whatever cloths I'm currently wearing. Then get yelled at by my GF for ruining perfectly good cloths.

In her defense, she probably has a point. I just don't give a gently caress.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Glad I'm not the only one... PS: soaking them in acetone or hosing them down with low-VOC brakleen before washing them tends to take most of the stains out! I can't vouch for what critical parts and seals within your washing machine it will dissolve, nor whether it will cause your gas dryer to explode, but it works nicely.

I'm down for some BDUs :woop: assuming you happen to have some that actually fit me.

Non goons are welcome as long as they aren't weird (oh wait... goonmeet... no worries!)

Since there's likely to be alcohol fairly available I'd really like to keep this to 21+ or at least reasonably of-age appearances, seriously, remember that the police showed up for my last bonfire. If you look like you'd get carded and are underage, please don't drink in case they show up. I doubt anything will happen, but still, that's the last thing I need right now.

Time of arrival - anytime after about 10AM is fine with me. I have no idea when most people are going to show up, that's just the time you can expect me to be awake and mostly conscious. If you show up and no one else is there yet, well, I'll probably be wrenching and down for bullshitting about cars, or we can smash some poo poo in my house, I don't really care. Anything goes.

kastein fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 25, 2012

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I agree with commissargribb, and so do my camo pants with Rust Bullet on the legs and jacket with fiberglass resin on the sleeve.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

chrisgt posted:

I do that in whatever cloths I'm currently wearing. Then get yelled at by my GF for ruining perfectly good cloths.

In her defense, she probably has a point. I just don't give a gently caress.

Yeah I do that too. I try to remember to throw on coveralls before I work to protect my decent clothes though.

By the way: here's the weather for the 12th and the 13th. Hopefully the rain prediction is wrong. :ohdear:

kastein posted:

Non goons are welcome as long as they aren't weird (oh wait... goonmeet... no worries!)

I invited my buddy Chris from ROTC who wants to wheel around in his blazer. I dont know if he's going to come but I'm sure he'd fit in.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 26, 2012

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

commissargribb posted:

Yeah I do that too. I try to remember to throw on coveralls before I work to protect my decent clothes though.

By the way: here's the weather for the 12th and the 13th. Hopefully the rain prediction is wrong. :ohdear:

:lol: you believe weather more than 24 hours in advance?

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

sharkytm posted:

:lol: you believe weather more than 24 hours in advance?

I generally dont.

I'm just excited :blush:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
the title of the pilots thread in ask/tell is pretty accurate - weather reports are horoscopes with numbers

e: I think my favorite was a Thursday sometime last April when I took the day off work to finish rebuilding my roof. Forecast:
sunny, 60s, 10mph winds

Arrived at 7AM, weather matched forecast. Worked until around 9AM... when suddenly the winds picked up to 30-40mph, temperature dropped into the low 40s, and the sky was completely filled with dark clouds. I packed up my tools and went inside.

5 minutes later it was snowing. :psyboom:

... and 5 minutes after that, it was sunny, 60s, and 10mph winds again... so I went back to working on the roof.

kastein fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 26, 2012

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I work in an industry where weather is critical to our day-to-day operations (marine ops), and its a total crapshoot. Hell, I've taken hourly screen captures of the NOAA forecasts before, just so I can explain to a client why we left the dock when the weather turns to poo poo immediately.
0000: Weather for today, calm, sunny, beautiful. Winds less than 5 kt.
0400: Weather for today, calm, sunny beautiful. Winds 5-10 kt.
::We depart dock at 0600::
0800: Weather for today, AWFUL, Hail, Lightning, squalls, winds 20-25 kt.

:facepalm:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Only got 1 min in before I got too thrilled at the idea of having my car on some internet show:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3250210&pagenumber=12#post403086040

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Hillridge posted:

No kidding. I'm in Milford, and I work in Merrimack. Where in Nashua is your shop?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Some eye candy from the junkyard of forgotten dreams off rt49 in East Brookfield:

There are more old, rusting trucks from Ford, International, GMC, you name it, sitting in that yard than I have seen anywhere else.

EDIT: update. Thermite mix is now nearly optimal, does not melt through cast iron yet, but melts aluminum with a quickness. I have thermite ignition powder already and have 125g of magnesium ribbon on the way just in case... and another 20lbs or so of thermite materials.

Only one turbo on hand for Small Engine Big Turbo, but depending on the presence of one of my friends, there may also be some kickin rad solid fueled rocket motors in play as well. He showed up Saturday evening after we finished welding the new exhaust parts onto Ace's truck and we built a polyethylene/oxygen fueled rocket out of $20 worth of parts from the plumbing aisle in home depot. It was loud enough to be extremely uncomfortable and we are pretty sure the exhaust velocity broke the sound barrier.

If I can get a source for liquid oxygen, we might up the motor diameter from 1/2" to 2". 1/2" motors were fuel surface area limited, but when we tried 2" we just couldn't get enough flow even with the oxygen supply (40cf welding tank) regulator turned all the way up.

kastein fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 30, 2012

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

daslog posted:

No kidding. I'm in Milford, and I work in Merrimack. Where in Nashua is your shop?

We're off of Crown St, back by the train yard. Technically it's a hackerspace with a very automotive/industrial slant rather than a true automotive shop, so we're not limited to only car stuff.

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
Central MA checking in, havent been on this forum in a while but I'm still building and tuning LSX ridiculousness. Definitely want to set something up this summer, I'm putting some meets and dyno days together def want a good turnout!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

thArf posted:

Central MA checking in, havent been on this forum in a while but I'm still building and tuning LSX ridiculousness. Definitely want to set something up this summer, I'm putting some meets and dyno days together def want a good turnout!

Can a stock LS7 be tuned for any gains?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Can a stock LS7 be tuned for any gains?

Only if you show up to the loving meet at kens place :colbert:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I want to go and get my post-Apocalyptic survival gear.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

I want to go and get my post-Apocalyptic survival gear.

no need. Some of us love playing with fire... just stand back, hold our beer and watch this :haw:

Between me, ace, billy tully, my neighbor, possibly my friend with the jet engines, and anyone else who lacks a fear of death or dismemberment, I'm sure there will be enough of a show for everyone...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Put some beers in my hands and I'll light off whatever stupid poo poo you fuckers come up with.

• Locked thread