Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm more looking for something that can either report to the cloud or be exported to PC to allow for record keeping. Something that only reports back to it's own website works too as I can always save an HTML file manually if need be.

What about something more general like Evernote? It seems to do everything you want to do, stores to the cloud and can be accessed anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

hey santa baby posted:

What about something more general like Evernote? It seems to do everything you want to do, stores to the cloud and can be accessed anywhere.

I missed the post you're quoting...but yes I have used Evernote for almost this exact purpose before.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
Odd question: How do I disable syncing on the Google Voice Android app?

I have google voice integration with Sprint, but use the normal Android messaging app for all my text messaging. I've been noticing lately that the GV App actually hits up the 3G connection a fair bit keeping things in sync when I'm in a texting flurry.

I don't really need it to be in sync since I'm not using it for messaging, but like to have it on the phone to read voicemail transcriptions and such.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

hey santa baby posted:

I actually didn't think of Evernote. I always thought it use it only for notes...but I suppose that's what these are: notes for places I've been. I'll give this a shot, thanks!

A question about Desktop VisualizeR, do I need to check the Encode option or would I just be able to use the apps/icons without encoding? Do apps just randomly change all icons or are they icons that have say a badge or something on it?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Speaking of Evernote, is anyone here using it on a Nook Tablet running CM7? Because I can't get it to synch, it always throws an I/O error.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Kazy posted:

I'm probably switching from the iPhone to the One X. I use BiteSMS all the time on my iPhone, and I'm wondering:

Is there an SMS app with Quick Reply, that opens the quick reply window only AFTER tapping the notification?

I use the stock messaging app and SMS Popup. SMS Popup should be a loving option in the stock Android OS itself, but the app is perfect. I've used it since my very first Droid, and dude just updated it to support ICS as well, so it looks great on the Galaxy Nexus..

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

SMS Popup is really nice. I've been using ChompSMS since back on my OG Droid and, while I really like it, I've been giving a lot of thought to ditching it in favor of SMS Popup + the stock messaging app. The only two things keeping me on Chomp is being able to set a dock gesture to quick compose a text and being able to long press the search key and open a quick compose window, regardless of what app I'm in. If I could just find a way to do that second thing with the stock messenger, I'd totally jump ship.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

XIII posted:

SMS Popup is really nice. I've been using ChompSMS since back on my OG Droid and, while I really like it, I've been giving a lot of thought to ditching it in favor of SMS Popup + the stock messaging app. The only two things keeping me on Chomp is being able to set a dock gesture to quick compose a text and being able to long press the search key and open a quick compose window, regardless of what app I'm in. If I could just find a way to do that second thing with the stock messenger, I'd totally jump ship.

Sms popup is nice but has some bugs. For example, sometimes the message that popped up won't be viewable in the actual message conversation at all. Like it just totally deletes itself. The Beta version still has the bug, unfortunately.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Is it good? Space Hulk loving rules but I am always leery of "adaptations". Please tell me it's great. :ohdear:

The biggest change is that all weapons have an ammo count instead of storm bolters and assault cannons having jams. This impacts how overwatch is handled too. Additionally, having the captain die is an immediate loss.

Download the free version and give it a try.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I think I got the information from this thread a while ago, but I've forgotten how to get on the beta channel for Widgetlocker. Does anyone know?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Can anyone recommend an email app replacement? My girlfriend's Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch with Sprint doesn't like getting email all the time. Just something with the basic features that supports multiple accounts. Any suggestions? Free is preferred.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

hooah posted:

I think I got the information from this thread a while ago, but I've forgotten how to get on the beta channel for Widgetlocker. Does anyone know?

Settings > Long-press volume down for Experimental > Beta Updates > Public Betas

then back out and check for an update, you should be good to go after that.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
Does the Google Drive app bring anyone else's phone to a grinding halt, especially while downloading files? Just scrolling a list of a few dozen files the app hangs so long I get the option to force close. Tried clearing data to no avail.

I just want to love you google drive!

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Pretty excited to check the Drive app out, once my account is "ready."

Is there a consensus on the fastest free web browser out there? I'm using Opera now.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^^^I kept getting the thing about getting your account "ready", so I tried again from an Incognito window and it worked like a charm. Maybe give that a shot.

Is there an app that can disable my lockscreen when I'm at certain places? Or maybe on WiFi. I know there's Unlock with WiFi, but that seems to only work for people with a pin/pattern lock setup, which I don't use. I'm guessing Tasker is going to be my best bet.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
There's a Tasker for that, you can also right it to work with wifi as well or based on a rough locational context.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Anyone here use Mobo Video Player? It has decided to stop showing subs for my mkv files and I have no idea why. I checked the subtitle settings and everything is fine so v:confused:v

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Bhm posted:

Is there a program that will let you manage the hardware button functionality on your phone?
I'm thinking if it's possible to replace the "double tap homebutton" function on my Samsung GSII. I managed to uninstall the gently caress out of the VLINGO poo poo and I'm wondering if it's possible to bind "open app drawer" to it instead.

Short answer: No
Long Anser: Yes, but you will have to download off your phone and then decompile one of the system packages (I forget which one), and edit the code manually to do what you want, and then recompile, sign, etc the package and flash the altered version to your phone. Some XDA roms (used to?) do this but simply remove it all together instead of replacing it.

Junkenstein posted:

Is there a camera app that gives you manual or aperture/shutter priority modes?
As much as I would love more of this functionality, the camera hardware used in mobiles never expose these functions to the OS. Or simply don't have the functionality. ie all of them I have seen have a fixed aperture (although they are normally quite fast).

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Is there no way of altering media button input, then?

My wired earphones have just the one button that pauses music, and I'd prefer it to skip to the next track.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

spincube posted:

Is there no way of altering media button input, then?

My wired earphones have just the one button that pauses music, and I'd prefer it to skip to the next track.

What app are you using for music? Some do support the headset button for more than just pause. ex: Mortplayer uses double press for next track, triple for back, 4 for next album, 5 for prev. album. It takes a bit of practice to not press too quickly our slowly but other than that it works well. Other music apps may do this too, and I seem to remember separate apps on the market that enable this as well.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

hey santa baby posted:

What app are you using for music? Some do support the headset button for more than just pause. ex: Mortplayer uses double press for next track, triple for back, 4 for next album, 5 for prev. album. It takes a bit of practice to not press too quickly our slowly but other than that it works well. Other music apps may do this too, and I seem to remember separate apps on the market that enable this as well.

The ever popular poweramp has options for these as well.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

spincube posted:

Also Headset Button Controller lets you assign actions to the button click.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Does anyone know what's up with the Samsung TV remote control app? I think it's kind of dumb that I can install it on my two year old Droid but not on my GNex made by Samsung.

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Does anyone know what's up with the Samsung TV remote control app? I think it's kind of dumb that I can install it on my two year old Droid but not on my GNex made by Samsung.
I pulled it from data/app on my nook (cm9) and dropboxed it to gnex where it did install. Still says its incompatible in the market though. The remote part works great on both but thats it. Maybe a update soon so everything works?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I guess this is the best place to post this.

I disabled the Google Search bar on my Galaxy Nexus. Now I have a stupid blank 4x1 spot on top of my screen that I can't do anything with.

Without rooting, what can I do about it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I guess this is the best place to post this.

I disabled the Google Search bar on my Galaxy Nexus. Now I have a stupid blank 4x1 spot on top of my screen that I can't do anything with.

Without rooting, what can I do about it.
Install a different launcher, like Apex or Nova. Both have free versions (that I linked) that have all the functionality of the stock 4.0.x launcher and paid versions that offer even more functionality.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Shanakin posted:

Short answer: No
Long Anser: Yes, but you will have to download off your phone and then decompile one of the system packages (I forget which one), and edit the code manually to do what you want, and then recompile, sign, etc the package and flash the altered version to your phone. Some XDA roms (used to?) do this but simply remove it all together instead of replacing it.

This reminds me of an old wishlist item of mine. I would love a way to temporarily lock out the hardware buttons (or at least the ones at the bottom) so when I hand somebody my phone to look at a picture, they don't accidentally brush one of them and freak out.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

brc64 posted:

This reminds me of an old wishlist item of mine. I would love a way to temporarily lock out the hardware buttons (or at least the ones at the bottom) so when I hand somebody my phone to look at a picture, they don't accidentally brush one of them and freak out.

TouchWiz (Samsung phones) have (or, at least had) that feature.

A couple of times I thought my phone (Epic 4G) had locked up on the camera screen...hitting home, back, menu, etc... did nothing. Turns out that tapping the power button (as one would do to turn the screen off, which was what I was trying to do) would lock out the buttons. Freaked me out because I had no idea what was going on at first.

I have no idea if it also worked in the gallery app, though, or even if the current version of TouchWiz does this. But it is something that can be done, so maybe talk to some ROM creators?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
The SiriusXM app finally got an update and you can now skip back to programs from 5 hours ago and set show alerts. Starts playing a lot faster too or at least it seems like it from a few minutes messing around. The 5 hour playback is definitely the highlight, but the new interface is very appreciated since it's been pretty stagnant for a while.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I have reason to believe that BeWeather was screwing up all of my widgets. After getting the OTA upgrade to 4.0.4 for my Galaxy Nexus I noticed that many widgets of all types would freeze and the only way to fix them was to restart the phone, uninstalling or removing/replacing the widget would do nothing.

So what is an alternative to BeWeather? Weatherbug and stock doesn't look that good and AIX Weather doesn't fit very well with ICS.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Is there an app or something that I can dock on my homescreen to control pandora that isn't so visually jarring as the pandora widget?

Alternatively, is there a way to use the Phantom Control widget to control it?

The only other option I can think of that may work would be tasker but it seems like that'd be extremely complicated.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Red_Fred posted:

I have reason to believe that BeWeather was screwing up all of my widgets. After getting the OTA upgrade to 4.0.4 for my Galaxy Nexus I noticed that many widgets of all types would freeze and the only way to fix them was to restart the phone, uninstalling or removing/replacing the widget would do nothing.

So what is an alternative to BeWeather? Weatherbug and stock doesn't look that good and AIX Weather doesn't fit very well with ICS.

You could try Beautiful Widgets. I'm on 4.0.4 and it works fine. There have even been a few ICS themed skins released for it.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Lord Yod posted:

Is there an app or something that I can dock on my homescreen to control pandora that isn't so visually jarring as the pandora widget?

Alternatively, is there a way to use the Phantom Control widget to control it?

The only other option I can think of that may work would be tasker but it seems like that'd be extremely complicated.

Similarly, is there any way to do the same thing with mortplayer or akimboplayer? Both of their widgets are hideous.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
So Mobo player has just decided that I don't need subtitles I guess.

Can anyone recommend a free video player that will display subs for mkvs?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

MeinGott posted:

Dice player

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inisoft.mediaplayer.trial

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Oh man I was going to ask about a music player control widget on the lock screen but I just played music through Google Play Music for the first time and saw IT'S ALREADY THERE. I love ICS.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Even though I love Widgetlocker, I stopped using it because I didn't have much extra poo poo on there anyway and the stock lockscreen music controls in ICS are so boss. It's really amazing how much of an improvement ICS is over Gingerbread.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Thanks awesome dude!

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

MeinGott posted:

MX Player

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mxtech.videoplayer.ad&feature=search_result

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

I'll check this on out too.

Is your av a touhou riding a Yian Kut Ku

• Locked thread