Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

xzzy posted:

You can also get a dyna disc, it's a little rubber blister looking thing that you stand on to develop balance. It's nice because you can use it easily at home. Stand on it with one foot and stickhandle with a tennis ball.. you'll have hulk ankles and spiderman balance before too long.

Seconding this advice. As for balance my (insanely talented) buddy said to play hackey sack. Be a hippy and learn how to jump around on one foot to juggle your feet and balance. Slap on some patchouli oil and marry a dread-locked white girl with rich parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I used to do hackey sack, it was "the thing" in high school because you could carry it in your pocket and use it between periods. Easier to keep low profile than a soccer ball anyway.

I'd say it's definitely good for building foot coordination, but I'm not so sure about balance. Maybe it's one of those things that secretly trains your balance without you ever realizing it. Or maybe I just didn't hackey sack hard enough. :black101:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

19 o'clock posted:

Seconding this advice. As for balance my (insanely talented) buddy said to play hackey sack. Be a hippy and learn how to jump around on one foot to juggle your feet and balance. Slap on some patchouli oil and marry a dread-locked white girl with rich parents.

tbh girl with rich parents is good advice no matter the situation.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

xzzy posted:

I'd say it's definitely good for building foot coordination, but I'm not so sure about balance. Maybe it's one of those things that secretly trains your balance without you ever realizing it. Or maybe I just didn't hackey sack hard enough. :black101:

The dude said it was for "fast feet" whatever he meant. I'm with you in that it was just kind of a fun, low setup thing to do anyways.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

tbh girl with rich parents is good advice no matter the situation.

Even my college professor used to tell me this. "Because then it won't matter what you make."

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

Waroen posted:

This... looks terrifying. It cannot end well. :stare:

As someone who suffers from horrible balance, I've thought about getting a dyna disc or one of those balls with the wood around it. Then I saw this thing on USA Hockey. You can do it on the cheap, too. Not sure if this does ankle strength, but it should improve balance?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, balance boards are the old school style. There's several variants of them out there, they all pretty much do the same thing.

I think the disc nailed to a ball is the "best" because it means you work on all angles at once.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

xzzy posted:

Yeah, balance boards are the old school style. There's several variants of them out there, they all pretty much do the same thing.

I think the disc nailed to a ball is the "best" because it means you work on all angles at once.

I might try to make one of those, I think I really need to work on my balance.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
I usually just kneel on a exercise ball like this. Start off just balancing for a 30 count 4 or 5 times, and keep working your counts up until you can stay on there forever.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Petit.Conan posted:

I usually just kneel on a exercise ball like this. Start off just balancing for a 30 count 4 or 5 times, and keep working your counts up until you can stay on there forever.

From there it's not much of a stretch to just stand up on it. Once you get the hang of it you can stand there until your legs crumble from muscle strain, but might wanna have something to catch yourself on while you are practicing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Which is why I brought up the dyna disc.. when your legs give out, the floor is only two inches away. Balance boards would be the same.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Do the kneeling on a swiss ball right up against a wall or mirror until you're comfortable. That was you can either roll into the wall or put your hand against it to stabilize yourself. Then you can work up to standing on swiss ball and doing squats. Also putting the swiss ball on a padded mat will help stabilize it a little bit as well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Has anyone here ever had, or heard of anyone, having issues with lace bite causing pain in the pinky toe area?

I had an appointment with a podiatrist this morning and he seemed pretty convinced that the "fitting issue" I'm having on my skates is actually lace bite. Downside being he admitted to not being an expert in skate fitting, so I'm hunting around for some additional evidence.

When I lace up, I keep the toe eyelets pretty loose.. usually snug and a tug. Then once I get to the bend where the ankle is, I crank down as hard as I can because it helps the skates feel like a part of my foot and I feel a lot more confident on the ice.

Which really leaves me two options.. try to skate with the laces loosened up a bit, or maybe hunt down some extra padding for the tongue to try and ease the pressure on the nerves that run along the top of the foot. Anyone got a lead on something that would be good for this?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Anyone want to feel terrible at hockey? This kid is 9 years old and plays with the rest of the team. I think this team play is better than most adult leagues I've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDcGi_PIbzA&feature=watch_response

Ignore the poo poo out of the terrible eastern Eurotrash soundtrack.

xzzy posted:

Has anyone here ever had, or heard of anyone, having issues with lace bite causing pain in the pinky toe area?
Which really leaves me two options.. try to skate with the laces loosened up a bit, or maybe hunt down some extra padding for the tongue to try and ease the pressure on the nerves that run along the top of the foot. Anyone got a lead on something that would be good for this?

I think one of the most accepted lacing patterns is to tie the toes tight while staying comfortable, slightly loose through the mid where your foot flexes, and slightly tight around the top of the boot while still allowing you to bend forward.

As for lace bite, there are a few products out there to essentially stiffen or pad the tongue so that it spreads out the contact area of the laces. Think about a climbing harness or a seatbelt. Wide straps spread the surface area of contact making it more comfortable than if they were really thin pushing into your body. Same rule applies to lace bite.

The most common areas for people to get lace bite are on the top of the foot usually resulting from tying the middle of the skate too tight or having a thin tongue, and the top of the ankle because its tied too tight not allowing your full range of motion.

I've heard these are pretty good but I feel like you could do a few things DIY to take care of it.
http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=LBPAD

Verman fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 25, 2012

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

xzzy - Bunga Pads. I had a pretty bad case of lace bite on my left foot. A bunga pad eliminated it completely. Pricey, but worth it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seriously, how much do parents pay to get their kids on those teams? The level of play is pretty drat high. Usually mite teams are just a bunch of slow skaters chasing the puck, you almost never see kids covering the back door or making long passes.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

xzzy posted:

Seriously, how much do parents pay to get their kids on those teams? The level of play is pretty drat high. Usually mite teams are just a bunch of slow skaters chasing the puck, you almost never see kids covering the back door or making long passes.

This is europe, these kids are 10x better than most mite (even highschool) teams that I've seen. They have hockey sense established before most kids even learn the basics.

Their families are probably loaded.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

xzzy posted:

I don't know, man. I was making long bomb stretch passes and dangling dudes the first time I stepped on the ice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Verman posted:

This is europe, these kids are 10x better than most mite (even highschool) teams that I've seen. They have hockey sense established before most kids even learn the basics.

Their families are probably loaded.
So where's the breakdown? At what age do they loose their poo poo and turn into floaty euros? :haw:

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Verman posted:

Anyone want to feel terrible at hockey? This kid is 9 years old and plays with the rest of the team. I think this team play is better than most adult leagues I've seen.

I love the fact that a 9 year old is screening, looking for tips and getting legit garbage goals. That kid will be my new favourite player if or (most likely) when he makes the NHL.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

xzzy posted:

So where's the breakdown? At what age do they loose their poo poo and turn into floaty euros? :haw:

Much like how the broken clock is right twice a day,
the floaty euro is eventually in the right position to make the play

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

xzzy posted:

Once they introduce checking.

And by that I mean move to North America since there is obviously no hitting in floaty Euro leagues :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also, since it was discussed briefly in this thread a couple weeks back, I figured I'd quote this. I was doing google searches about lace bite and came across it.

quote:

ABSTRACT: Midway through the season, an intercollegiate ice hockey player experienced bilateral numbness in the posterior aspect of the leg along the area of the calcaneal tendon. This numbness corresponded with the distribution of both sural nerves. While obtaining a history of the condition, the athlete admitted that he routinely spiraled his ice hockey laces tightly around the proximal portion of each ice hockey boot before finally tying the laces off. A complete neurological examination was negative except for the bilateral numbness. Based upon this information, a diagnosis of bilateral sural nerve entrapment was made. In addition to frequent follow-up examinations, nonoperative treatment consisted of changing the way the athlete laced his ice hockey skates. The athlete was able to complete the season and, after approximately 4 months, was asymptomatic. Although this appears to be an isolated incident, athletic trainers should be cautious when evaluating patients with paraesthesia in this region. If symptoms such as those described develop, entrapment of the sural nerve should be considered as a possible cause.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1318360/pdf/jathtrain00017-0070.pdf

Basically, wrapping laces around your ankle to use up slack could put pressure on nerves that run through the back of your leg, creating numbness in the lower leg and/or toes. :v:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Or just get proper length laces in the first place.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Man I love hockey, so much so that I just rented a car for a day so I could make sure I made my game on Friday night.

Guess that's the downside of only having 1 car and then family visiting and wanting to go to the theme parks.

Oh well, I get to play hockey so all is right in the world.

sevorak
Apr 27, 2011
Well, my team won our championship last night! We didn't end up playing trilljester's team on the way unfortunately, but we did knock out the team that was destroying us all season in the semi finals. That one felt good and was probably our best game overall. We were down 3-1 early in the championship game, but fought back to take the lead 4-3 until the other team tied it with 1 second left in the game off a lucky bounce off a blocked shot that went right to a stick. Then we won in overtime when a partially blocked shot inched ever so slowly over the goal line with the goaltender looking the other way.

Feels good to win after we went 1-15 in our first season over the summer. We definitely progressed a lot and figured out how to play as a team since then. I play defense most of the time and it was fun making defensive plays and denying chances. I think there was only one goal scored against us while I was on the ice during the 4 games of the playoffs, and I had a couple key keep ins that led to goals, so I definitely feel like I contributed a lot to our wins even though I wasn't on the score sheet.

I love this sport.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Verman posted:

The kid is definitely playing good, but the other team just has awful defensive coverage.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.
Schedule at the rink went from:

to:

I love when this happens! Now I can go play and then wait for them to resurface and go back out again.

(fyi, AHS is adult hockey skills(where its like practice pickup), AH is pickup hockey, and ST is stick time)

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Finally tried my One100 skates today.

Coming from Graf skates for the last 12 years, it was a change, but so far so good. I had heel lifts put in, and I'm glad I did. The biggest thing I noticed that they're very stiff. I had to actually skate with the top eyelet undone, which I've never done before.

There's still some break-in to be had and also finding my comfort level, but so far they're excellent.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I'm going to play with a new team at a different rink this summer and I have no idea what the level of play is going to be like. I mean, it's a low-level league but I don't know how it will compare to my current low-level league. Also it appears that my new team has lost their top four scorers so I predict we will be getting shelled.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

http://tinyurl.com/btl3xhl

Some eBay douchenozzle actually think he's going to get $500 apiece for new and unused Jofa "Gretzky style" helmets :psyduck:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

bewbies posted:

I’ve been ice skating like 4 times in my life, just what am I getting myself involved in here?

This is me. For years (pretty much the entire 6 years of my grad school), I wanted to learn to play hockey. I never bothered because grad school gives you neither time or money (both of which you need a good amount of to play).

Granted, in retrospect, I should have at least spent that time learning to loving skate. One of my biggest regrets was never learning the game as a kid, but I at least have the excuse there that I never really got into the NHL until I was in high school.

Anyway, I decided to go to my local ice house this afternoon and try to skate for the first time in easily 10 years. Even then, I can not skate. No, I never roller bladed as a kid either. It was my first time on hockey skates even, the rentals blades I used looked barely sharpened at all. I really had to look for the moon shape in the blade.

Nonetheless, I was actually pretty surprised at how decently I could keep myself up. I fell down quite a bit, but I did a pretty good job of keeping my balance and getting some decent motion on the ice. I won't call it fast, but at least not moving like a snail.

I will say that I did have some difficulty controlling my direction. I'd usually either over or under shoot where I was trying to turn to. I tried to do a hockey stop once and faceplanted the ice... hard. Speaking of stopping, I found that to be p difficult too. I know I'm supposed to use the outside edge but I feel like when I stick my leg out to stop I'm not using the outside edge but rather the inside edge and I'm gonna fall.

I also felt good that I was keenly aware that I was able to push off better with my right foot than my left. This is probably largely because my posture is poo poo and I already put more of my weight on my right foot when I stand as it is. At least I'm aware of something I'm doing wrong, which in my experience in sport, is much better than not being aware of it.

I did spend half the time around the boards though because it was really the only way I could reliably stop without just coasting to a stop. I did find reasonable success shifting my weight to my heels slowed me down... or crashed my rear end to the ground if I was stupid enough to stand up doing it.

Another issue was that I got some nice blisters on the inside of both my feet, right on the big toe. Much bigger on the left toe, I guess the shoes I was wearing were too tight? Or is this just normal for newbies who haven't gotten used to the angle your gotta keep your feet at to be on the inside blade?

Fun part for you vets: there were two little girls on the ice too that barely came up to my waist that could have totally skated circles around me if they wanted to. :v:

Other than that, I had the ice to myself, and for other newbies to skating, I really suggest daytime skate if you want to fall down in peace. Oh, and it was only $6 (rental included) for the ice time.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Oh, and my city has a adult development league where they encourage adults to come learn to play hockey even if they don't know how to skate. Apparently, they just separate people out by skill level and teach you how to play. 6 weeks, for like $150 and they'll even let you rent equipment for like $25+$50 deposit. Sounds like an awesome deal, I'm gonna try it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hockey stops can be quite difficult for a new skater.. don't try to rush it. Sort out one foot stops first, learn how to trust putting your weight into that inside edge and get a feel for how the angle of your skate effects the stop. Keep at it and 6-12 months down the road you'll find your trailing foot is getting in on the action too and all the sudden you're doing hockey stops like a pro.

As for steering, that improves as well as you learn some confidence. Left turns are accomplished by putting your weight on the inside edge of your right foot, right turns are the inside edge of the left foot. Later on you'll find you can control the radius of your turn by varying how much you lean the edge of the skate into the ice.

If skates are giving you blisters, they don't fit right. Scrape up your pennies and buy a pair of skates for yourself, you'll do much better in the long run.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

Hockey stops can be quite difficult for a new skater.. don't try to rush it. Sort out one foot stops first, learn how to trust putting your weight into that inside edge and get a feel for how the angle of your skate effects the stop. Keep at it and 6-12 months down the road you'll find your trailing foot is getting in on the action too and all the sudden you're doing hockey stops like a pro.

As for steering, that improves as well as you learn some confidence. Left turns are accomplished by putting your weight on the inside edge of your right foot, right turns are the inside edge of the left foot. Later on you'll find you can control the radius of your turn by varying how much you lean the edge of the skate into the ice.

If skates are giving you blisters, they don't fit right. Scrape up your pennies and buy a pair of skates for yourself, you'll do much better in the long run.

Ah, thanks for the tips!

My biggest problem with all footwear is I have wide feet, sometimes I even need 4E sneakers. So couple skates being expensive as it is with needing a width that I probably can't get at a store, and :(.

I will say though, that sometimes the "W" can work for me, depending on the shoe. Generally though, I *always* get blisters when I wear any kind of shoe that's even "W". So now that I think about it, it's just my fat feet doing their thing.

I'm hoping that I can get enough practice in that I can join the scrub beginner league that will start up next September... :shobon:

EDIT: I know this is getting *WAY* ahead of myself, but I kinda wish there was a checking league for adults around here. Maybe that will change when I see the size of some the guys playing, but Scott Stevens was is my hero and I wanna lay some people out. :allears: (can you tell I was always better with defense with the sports I played? :v: )

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 27, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Beginner leagues are exactly that.. beginner. I've seen guys who have never been on ice show up and start learning and no one cares.

In general, as long as you work hard, no one is going to care about your skill level. Every single person out there knows how much work it is to get good at hockey so you'll probably find them lining up to give you hints.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

shyguy posted:

http://tinyurl.com/btl3xhl

Some eBay douchenozzle actually think he's going to get $500 apiece for new and unused Jofa "Gretzky style" helmets :psyduck:

There's an old-school coach at one of the rinks I skate at who wears one of those. I don't know that he'd drop 500 bones for a new one, though.

As an aside, he has a modern helmet that he wears in his graybeards league. League requires it.

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 27, 2012

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

JetsGuy posted:

Awesome stuff about starting skating

Hey fellow newbie skater!

Most skates have variants for wide feet. Go to somewhere with a handful of brands like the ones listed in the OP and try them on. If they don't have a moron helping out, you should be able to find a pair that fits, or they can order it for you.

You'll get used to turning with time. Really. It took me about 5 sessions to get comfortable turning to where I was even considering leaning into it and touching the ice. Still not doing crossovers even 50%. That's why I'm in lesson! Yay!

For stopping and backwards, take your time. Try snowplow stopping so you can get used to the momentum. I tend to "slam on the breaks" so I used to go flying face first to the ice. No I do not as often. Backwards feels really strange. I'm not sure how to explain going backwards but try pushing off the boards to get used to it first. Its crazy.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I stopped by play it again for some tape and they had a used Easton Stealth Rs for $80, it was in decent shape so I had to buy it. I'm turning into a stick whore. I'm excited to give a run through tomorrow night.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I think I'm going to have to stop playing for a while thanks to patellar tendonitis.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

JetsGuy posted:

EDIT: I know this is getting *WAY* ahead of myself, but I kinda wish there was a checking league for adults around here. Maybe that will change when I see the size of some the guys playing, but Scott Stevens was is my hero and I wanna lay some people out. :allears: (can you tell I was always better with defense with the sports I played? :v: )

Yeah this is pretty unlikely. You would absolutely need to be on a team with a coach to learn checking hockey, and adult teams are generally not coached. Also there's such a disparity in skill, size and age that it would be really dangerous.

The good news is that body contact is alive and well at any level of hockey, it's still a physical game and there is a real art to playing without checking. :)