Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Mazerunner posted:

Hmmm, I'm not really sure how I feel about depicting real people (even if they are douchebags) as being genocidal murderers and 'anti-christs' and then being brutally murdered themselves. Seems a bit... over the top? I guess?

I just... I dunno man, I dunno.

But it's not real people. It's Guy Fieri and ICP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Mazerunner posted:

Hmmm, I'm not really sure how I feel about depicting real people (even if they are douchebags) as being genocidal murderers and 'anti-christs' and then being brutally murdered themselves. Seems a bit... over the top? I guess?

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from, I felt a bit uncomfortable when Dirk started fleshing out Guy Fieri's story, and I realized he'd have a bigger role than a silly throw-away joke on Jane's desktop.

But I read it less as real people that are just awful and more as weird internet jokes that are turned into horrifying monsters. I doubt that Hussie has a deep and abiding hatred of Guy Fieri and the ICP, he probably just finds taking largely harmless internet jokes and stretching them to absurdly monstrous conclusions to be hilarious.

As long as that's the most we hear of it, then I can agree with him. Plus, they're relegated to the distant past/future, so they're still in that "background joke" area that every other reference to real people and pop icons has been.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Starmaker posted:

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from, I felt a bit uncomfortable when Dirk started fleshing out Guy Fieri's story, and I realized he'd have a bigger role than a silly throw-away joke on Jane's desktop.

But I read it less as real people that are just awful and more as weird internet jokes that are turned into horrifying monsters. I doubt that Hussie has a deep and abiding hatred of Guy Fieri and the ICP, he probably just finds taking largely harmless internet jokes and stretching them to absurdly monstrous conclusions to be hilarious.

As long as that's the most we hear of it, then I can agree with him. Plus, they're relegated to the distant past/future, so they're still in that "background joke" area that every other reference to real people and pop icons has been.

If you watched Food Network for any amount of time you would actually want the entire rest of homestuck to just be a series of new and more gruesome deaths for Guy Fieri, scratch after scratch of fuckface murder.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Truly it is an awful vision of the future, when Niagara Falls flows red with the blood of billions of innocent victims. Guy Fieri is an evil, evil man.

He's also someone I have only heard of through Homestuck. I preferred it when I hadn't heard of him or ICP thank you very much! :colbert:

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Failboattootoot posted:

If you watched Food Network for any amount of time you would actually want the entire rest of homestuck to just be a series of new and more gruesome deaths for Guy Fieri, scratch after scratch of fuckface murder.

After reading more about him, I can't say I entirely disagree.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Roger Explosion posted:

Hey heeeeey! :haw:

Yesssssssss!

B2-Rose looks like some kind of alien with a giant brain though :pwn:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

creationist believer posted:

Yesssssssss!

B2-Rose looks like some kind of alien with a giant brain though :pwn:

I don't know, the shape of her hair kind of reminded me of Lucy Flathead from Zork: Grand Inquisitor.

On another note, I think with the ICP and Guy Fieri, these are the first characters in Homestuck that have been drawn as visibly fat.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Mr. Lobe posted:

On another note, I think with the ICP and Guy Fieri, these are the first characters in Homestuck that have been drawn as visibly fat.

Sawbuck.

Yes that counts :mad:

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

How long before some devoted fans track down and brutally murder ICP and Guy Fieri?

It is the will of the Huss.

I would kind of love to see the news try and explain it if a crazed Homestuck fan killed Guy Fieri and rode his corpse down a waterfall. Like, no, don't actually do that, anyone. But I'm just trying to imagine how in the world they'd explain the context of this.

The court notes would basically require a lengthy synopsis of Homestuck for any of it to make anything resembling sense.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

nerdbot posted:

I would kind of love to see the news try and explain it if a crazed Homestuck fan killed Guy Fieri and rode his corpse down a waterfall. Like, no, don't actually do that, anyone. But I'm just trying to imagine how in the world they'd explain the context of this.

The court notes would basically require a lengthy synopsis of Homestuck for any of it to make anything resembling sense.

"Motion to strike the Act 3 Intermission from the record on grounds of irrelevance."

"No you gotta read it! It'll be relevant later I promise!"

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Thundarr posted:

Because Vriska is a bad influence? v:shobon:v

I dunno, it just seems remarkably unlikely to me that a reference specifically to Tavros and Vriska's powers immediately after their viginette would have nothing at all to do with those characters. In this of all comics.

I'm very inclined to agree, even if it's not the hip, popular opinion. We literally just cut from Tavros and Vriska (who are both outside the normal continuum anyway) deciding to gently caress some poo poo up. They're in the dream bubbles, a deal cut between both Meenah and Feferi and the horrorterrors. I feel like that's enough to at least humor the idea that something fishy is going on.

Bell_ posted:

It fits both with her agenda of psychological warfare and the little we picked up from Meenah in the dream bubble. We've seen her being pretty fit in the flash and Scratch's narration, but the figureheads she attracted and the lifestyles they glorified make me wonder if we'll see a fleshy beast of such corpulence we forget all our Fat Vriska jokes.

This would be absolutely hilarious. Besides, with all humans extinct (save for two), she wouldn't have to worry about keeping in shape for any resistance movements.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
I can't see anything but an afro on Mom Rose, personally.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I see a beehive. Maybe a strange space future beehive, but a beehive nonetheless.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I see a bulb-headed guardian.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'd like to think that just as it's become A Thing that Fieri and ICP are villains in Homestuck, that also the likes of Nick Offerman, David Cross, Nick Cage, Liv Tyler, and the rest of the celebrity shout-outs in this comic would join Dave and Rose in the resistance. Brought together to seek justice for the assassination of Donald Glover of course.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."

Nate RFB posted:

Nick Cage

Oh my god we don't know anything about B2 nic cage! He could turn up at any point!

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Rooreelooo posted:

Oh my god we don't know anything about B2 nic cage! He could turn up at any point!

I'm more curious about B2 Fedorafreak.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Midnight Raider posted:

I'm more curious about B2 Fedorafreak.

Uh, B2 FedoraFreak has been dead and taxidermied since the 1980s :colbert: He switched places with his B1 ancestor, Roger Sterling, duhhhhhh

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Mazerunner posted:

It reminds me of the some other webcomic authors who resort to celebrity violence for that "edge" in their webcomic.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Because Vriska is a bad influence? v:shobon:v

I dunno, it just seems remarkably unlikely to me that a reference specifically to Tavros and Vriska's powers immediately after their viginette would have nothing at all to do with those characters. In this of all comics.

Cavatica posted:

I'm very inclined to agree, even if it's not the hip, popular opinion. We literally just cut from Tavros and Vriska (who are both outside the normal continuum anyway) deciding to gently caress some poo poo up. They're in the dream bubbles, a deal cut between both Meenah and Feferi and the horrorterrors. I feel like that's enough to at least humor the idea that something fishy is going on.

I hate to burst your bubbles, guys, but...

Hussie's Girlfriend posted:

MAN OKAY I normally try not to intrude on stuff like this but this is making me nutbar

it’s right there it’s right theeeeeeeeeeeeere

quote:

i’m not spreading this info for some nefarious reason i am spreading it because it is the intentional truth and i want y’all to be able to theorize about poo poo that doesn’t yet have an explanation ok 

quote:

okay here’s a nice explanation:

we don’t always use symbols to denote their literal meaning. i draw a lot of hearts on mail i send to friends, but that doesn’t mean I feel true romantic love for them! hearts, although understood to mean romantic love generally, can also be a symbol of affection and warm feelings.

similarly, throughout Homestuck we have become accustomed to seeing Vriska’s symbol in that manner when she uses her mind-control powers, and Tavros’ symbol in that manner when he uses his powers to commune with animals. they do not literally denote Vriska and Tavros in that panel (and nota bene, there are at least two other trolls using those symbols anyway (Mindfang/Aranea, Summoner/???)); rather, they carry connotations of those powers, which, when combined with the text right below the image, stand to imply that the Condesce has somehow tinkered with weird psyence enough to gain control over those powers herself.

also, I’m dating Andrew and he told me.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

quote:

this is interesting because if you don't want to read Guy Fieri and ICP as a bunch of genocidal psychos, you can just read them as a bunch of easily manipulated doofuses.

I'm kind of in the camp that celebrity violence was stuff I thought funny back in like 3rd grade and the last few panels are the only really cringe-worthy moments of lameness Homestuck has seen. But, I mean, at least hussie has cause for it, and at least he kept it brief.

snucks fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 27, 2012

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I think the difference is that this is sort of being played for absurdity. It isn't really comparable to Buckley's Paris Hilton murder strip because there, the joke is merely "PARIS HILTON'S A DUMB BITCH" because Buckley.

Here it feels more like the joke is that the idea of a Double Juggalo Presidency instating death camps for those who are not sufficiently mirthful is bizarre and insane and over-the-top, rather than "HA DID YOU SEE HIM KILL THOSE JUGGALOS??" The idea of Guy Fieri being the Antichrist could be seen as a jab at him, but it's also so far out there that I can't really take it as a serious attack on Fieri himself. It's sort of like how the Nic Cage jokes go so far out there that they stop really being about Nic Cage and become their own, strange thing.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 27, 2012

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You could interpret it as a sign of just how hosed up this universe is. Sort of like "Before the war, he was just a harmless celebrity chef, without an oppressive bone in his doughy body."

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What's interesting too is that, if you read into this a certain way, it means ICP was created purely out of the Condesce's desire to re-create the Subjuggalotrs and would not have existed in our universe otherwise.

I can't believe I just typed that sentence.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Maybe it's Crocker's work in the first place, all that subliminal messaging in the ads and maybe secret ingredients in the food made humanity more predisposed towards madness. It could have been one of possibly various things helping tip the scales of generating a few more complete psychopaths out of people who might have just been doughy and vaguely benign(if embarrassing) otherwise.

(And I'm also vaguely reminded of "Evil alternate worlds" like that one episode of Star Trek where Spock had a goatee.)

Trolls used to be a peaceful race themselves, so it didn't surprise me a bit to see a more violent and extreme aspect of Earth occuring Post-Scratch.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Nate RFB posted:

What's interesting too is that, if you read into this a certain way, it means ICP was created purely out of the Condesce's desire to re-create the Subjuggalotrs and would not have existed in our universe otherwise.

I can't believe I just typed that sentence.

Okay, this actually makes a ton of sense if you know your ICP history.

According to the lore, Violent J had a dream about spirits in a traveling carnival, and that became the inspiration for everything that followed. The whole Dark Carnival and every one of the Joker's Cards came from places and people in this dream.

Now, the Joker's Cards were a six-part concept album. It started with Carnival of Carnage, which introduced the Dark Carnival setting. Each one after that represented going deeper and deeper into hell, until the sixth and final card. The Wraith was a two-part album which was supposed to complete the journey into the Dark Carnival. It was only on the last track of The Wraith: Shangri-La that the band turned around and claimed that the whole point of the Joker's Cards was to find God.

A lot of juggalos were upset about this, viewing it as a betrayal of the ideals of horrorcore that ICP had founded ten years earlier. They lost a lot of their fanbase, and what fans they gained were much mellower. This happened in 2002. If the Insane Clown Posse had stuck to their demonic murder roots, who knows how much larger and more violent the juggalo movement would have been by 2012?

If it was a dream that made them disband the Inner City Posse to form the Insane Clown Posse, what happened ten years ago to change their direction a second time?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

RandomFerret posted:

Okay, this actually makes a ton of sense if you know your ICP history.

According to the lore, Violent J had a dream about spirits in a traveling carnival, and that became the inspiration for everything that followed. The whole Dark Carnival and every one of the Joker's Cards came from places and people in this dream.

Actually, I wonder if this is why Hussie gave Gamzee dream-influencing powers. He inserted those clowns into John's dreams and Lil' Cal into Dave's dreams.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The battle stylization of Guy Fieri and ICP is hilarious.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Random thought of the night: Now that Dave is God-tier, what would happen if created more dead Daves via timetravel?

Assuming the deaths of these doomed Daves were not heroic or just, would they resurrect?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Maybe 'for the good of causality' makes it any death automatically count as Heroic.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Bobulus posted:

Random thought of the night: Now that Dave is God-tier, what would happen if created more dead Daves via timetravel?

Assuming the deaths of these doomed Daves were not heroic or just, would they resurrect?

All doomed Daves would do something incredibly dangerous but also incredibly heroic. Non-heroic doomed daves just don't exist.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

YggiDee posted:

Maybe 'for the good of causality' makes it any death automatically count as Heroic.

This is the problem when Just and Heroic become metaphysical qualifiers. If someone like Doc Scratch or Lord English or even maybe Skaia were in charge of determining what constitutes a Just or Heroic death, then when something disagreeable like dying for causality is termed Heroic we can take issue with them. If it's the universe that says it, though, it can make we the readers uncomfortable with the implications.

Hussie's aware of this. We saw Vriska's God-tier clock and that it was broken while pointing at Just. Vriska is a fairly complicated character and the same is true of her death, and painting what happened as black or white on a metaphysical level - that is, the universe itself judges her death Just - doesn't sound right. Breaking the clock, though, quietly leaves open the question of whether that was really the universe's judgement.

All that in mind, then, I don't think we're going to be seeing much more of the beta timeline future Dave death stuff. I base that partly on what happened with Aradia, where before she went God-tier she was dying all over the place and afterward she was happy, and she wouldn't have been nearly as happy if she knew she still had some dying to do.

Partly it's because they're past the Green Sun's creation, which was the big immovable object on causality's road that forced everything to conform to the Alpha Timeline.

Partly it's because God-Tier represents the culmination of personal development, and Dave's problems with his beta selves were part of his developmental past (not that he's done developing, just done that phase).

That's what I'd say, anyway.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

nerdbot posted:

I think the difference is that this is sort of being played for absurdity. It isn't really comparable to Buckley's Paris Hilton murder strip because there, the joke is merely "PARIS HILTON'S A DUMB BITCH" because Buckley.

Here it feels more like the joke is that the idea of a Double Juggalo Presidency instating death camps for those who are not sufficiently mirthful is bizarre and insane and over-the-top, rather than "HA DID YOU SEE HIM KILL THOSE JUGGALOS??" The idea of Guy Fieri being the Antichrist could be seen as a jab at him, but it's also so far out there that I can't really take it as a serious attack on Fieri himself. It's sort of like how the Nic Cage jokes go so far out there that they stop really being about Nic Cage and become their own, strange thing.

Yeah, for the most part the celebrity jokes have been pretty light-hearted. The most mean have been Betty Crocker (a company) and maybe Nic Cage, which just sort of spiralled into something weird? The ICP and Betty Crocker stuff both started as a joke and got built up to. Guy Fieri though just sort of showed up and went straight to the absurd punchline with no set-up.

The situation described is still totally absurd and 'out there' and of course I don't think Hussie is actually serious in any capacity or anything, it's just... hmmmm.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Seperate post for separate thought-

Dolash posted:

This is the problem when Just and Heroic become metaphysical qualifiers. If someone like Doc Scratch or Lord English or even maybe Skaia were in charge of determining what constitutes a Just or Heroic death, then when something disagreeable like dying for causality is termed Heroic we can take issue with them. If it's the universe that says it, though, it can make we the readers uncomfortable with the implications.

Hussie's aware of this. We saw Vriska's God-tier clock and that it was broken while pointing at Just. Vriska is a fairly complicated character and the same is true of her death, and painting what happened as black or white on a metaphysical level - that is, the universe itself judges her death Just - doesn't sound right. Breaking the clock, though, quietly leaves open the question of whether that was really the universe's judgement.

All that in mind, then, I don't think we're going to be seeing much more of the beta timeline future Dave death stuff. I base that partly on what happened with Aradia, where before she went God-tier she was dying all over the place and afterward she was happy, and she wouldn't have been nearly as happy if she knew she still had some dying to do.

Partly it's because they're past the Green Sun's creation, which was the big immovable object on causality's road that forced everything to conform to the Alpha Timeline.

Partly it's because God-Tier represents the culmination of personal development, and Dave's problems with his beta selves were part of his developmental past (not that he's done developing, just done that phase).

That's what I'd say, anyway.

I think one of the big things about god-tier's conditional immortality is that it's basically Hussie directly assuring the reader that important characters will have important deaths- no joke deaths like Equius' or quick one panel ones like Feferi's. I don't think it's really a coincidence that the terms of God-tier revivals were outlined just after the Trollpocalypse and just before several of the more 'important' characters were entering into life threatening situations.

So yeah, I doubt that Dave's really going to have a beta-Dave's show up because, like you said, he's progressed past that, but also because the beta-Dave's basically served the same function for him as god-tier did for John. Now they're not really needed anymore, and I'm reasonably sure that there probably won't be too many/any more fakeouts/revivals or anything like that, simply because now we're moving into the endgame.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I only ask, because I could see, in the very late stages of the comic, Dave intentionally creating a bunch of doomed Daves for the final showdown, sorta the way Aradiabot did with the their Black King, except not nearly so automatically suicidal.

Conquering his issues with the Dead Dave Pile and all that.

True, in that scenario, all of them would die 'heroically', so it would be a non-issue, but it's where my thought process started.

(Just finished watching someone read through Problem Sleuth and so I'm thinking about the end-game of Homestuck. I can't decide if a big showdown with Lord English is narratively okay, or too expected for it to actually go down.)

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

One of my friends just sent me this over AIM. He doesn't read Homestuck. Apparently this is a thing that exists in fashion now? How recent is this? What the gently caress is going on? Andrew Hussie is entirely to blame for this.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Bobulus posted:

(Just finished watching someone read through Problem Sleuth and so I'm thinking about the end-game of Homestuck. I can't decide if a big showdown with Lord English is narratively okay, or too expected for it to actually go down.)

Sensing its impending end, Homestuck grows several more acts.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

Under the vegetable posted:

One of my friends just sent me this over AIM. He doesn't read Homestuck. Apparently this is a thing that exists in fashion now? How recent is this? What the gently caress is going on? Andrew Hussie is entirely to blame for this.

gently caress it, Shut down the internet, nuke the world. It was good while it lasted.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

H.R. Hufflepuff posted:

gently caress it, Shut down the internet, nuke the world. It was good while it lasted.

Seems it's.. some kind of "fashion"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hands outside pants. Doesnt count.