Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Merchant of Death posted:

Depends really how much you play with it, there was a lego atat that used them but 4 legs and it might of weighed less.

LDD is great, but sometimes you need to try it out in brick to see how much you can get away with the hinges.

I would test it if I had any of those joints at the moment. Not worried about play too much, it just seems wrong to not have a working joint in a thing that is supposed to be able to move.

InfinEight posted:

If you have two of them per leg, it would probably hold as long as the leg is pretty straight. But with that sort of always-bent position, there's gonna be a lot of leverage on the joint and it'll want to collapse easily. If you can work in 3 per leg it'll stand a better chance I think.

3 per leg would make the legs too wide. I could probably do 2-per and still have it be not ugly. I had thought to put a 3-stud technic pin through the center, not sure how much strength that would add, probably not much, but it would be something (LDD lets you do that, anyway).

quote:

Hell if you wanted, you could give me an approximate piece count of the torso and I could mock it up for you to see how it holds.

Close to 900. He's a fatty. But drat, dude, if you're willing to go to that much trouble, PM me and I'll email you the LDD file. I've wanted to do this MOC for a long time, I desperately want it to work right, and I'd love any other advise you might have. You certainly have more experience than I do with big rear end free-standing mechs.

afflictionwisp fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

afflictionwisp posted:

I've had so little time to work on my Timberwolf, it's just taking forever. I come to this thread, again, looking for advice. The ankle and hip joints are going to be strong as hell, but I'm not sold on the knees. Currently using these things, of which I have none. First, what angles do they lock at? Second, assuming that the torso is mostly not hollow, do two of them stand a good chance of being able to support the weight?

Just for fun, I was looking through my old LDD mocs folder for a technique I used once, and found the first thing I ever posted in these threads. What a difference three years makes!

Clanner scum! FOR DAVION!

but really, it's quite nice. Find a way to make the missiles shoot and I'd buy it.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
For shits and giggles I'm taking this fan survey Lego put out but it's just taken a strange turn

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Saint Sputnik posted:

For shits and giggles I'm taking this fan survey Lego put out but it's just taken a strange turn

Eventually it's going to start asking you questions about whether you'd ask your Lego friends for help to extricate a lego brick from your butt.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Eventually it's going to start asking you questions about whether you'd ask your Lego friends for help to extricate a lego brick from your butt.

I was thinking like, "We've grown close over the years bonding over little plastic children's toys, so can you look at this rash/advise me on my divorce/help me clean up all this blood," but that's even worse.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Queen Anne's Revenge 25% off at Amazon.co.uk if ayone has been ating for a good price, Cheapest I've seen here. Still way too expensive for me though.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I thought the weirdest question was asking you to elaborate on all of the online communities that you use that aren't related to Lego. Er, no.

Recursive Expanse
May 4, 2011
I brought out my lego from storage after my brother got me excited for Mobile Frame Zero, miniuture mecha combat using lego.
[url] http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476710 [/url]
I feel like I'm 10 (or...17) again.
But this post isn't about that. This is a question about trains.

I've wanted to either make a monorail or locomotive style lego train since I was a wee brick muncher, and I just now remembered that dream.
Problem is, I don't know where I should start.
I suppose the best bet would be to buy some key power functions equipment. I know they make some specifically for trains, and I might get one, but theirs another itch I've got. What Power functions, or other lego motorized systems could I use to engineer my own type of locomotion? I'm not sure how small they make some of the actuators and motors.
I've tried looking at some sites devoted to lego trains, but the few I've seen seem to have a major fixation on the battle between 9v vs. unpowered tracks. Is this really a thing to worry about? Why can't I use other means to create switch funtions using the newer style tracks?
And if I wanted to go the route of recreating mostly antiquated future tech in the form of Mono-rails, what would be the best way to go about that?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you decide to go the 9V route, I've got a big pile of 9V Train stuff I'll sell you for $100 plus shipping. It also includes a set of Train Track Contacts and the AC adapter for one of the Speed Regulators that are not pictured. The 9V motor part alone goes for 40-60 dollars in the condition the one I have is in(all clips on both front and back intact, as well as the pin on the top of it).

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
If your just starting, stick with the PF stuff. 9v stuff gets expensive and you never seem to have enough straight track. You can convert most of the 9v trains to run PF stuff.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

7thBatallion posted:

Clanner scum! FOR DAVION!

but really, it's quite nice. Find a way to make the missiles shoot and I'd buy it.

FLICK MISSILES!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

ZarathustraFollower posted:

So, I moved into my dad's old house, and while trying to find space for clothes, I stumbled across something.

I figure I'll remind my dad about it once my nephew is old enough to like trains and lego. Need to get them started young.

Ah, the DB 7722. Seriously, this set made up a huge part of my childhood. My folks picked it up on clearance from TRU, and it cemented both my love of Lego and my desire for Lego trains.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Kinda bummed, the nearest TRU had Marvel stuff in, but only Cap's cycle and the Quinjet and Loki escape, nothing for the truck or helicopter anywhere, not even an empty shelf space. Are they shipping out in separate waves or something?

On the bright side they did have a box of S7 minifigures that now has 3 fewer spacemarines in it.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Testro posted:

I thought the weirdest question was asking you to elaborate on all of the online communities that you use that aren't related to Lego. Er, no.

The only thing I typed in response to that was "video gaems"

Network42 posted:

Kinda bummed, the nearest TRU had Marvel stuff in, but only Cap's cycle and the Quinjet and Loki escape, nothing for the truck or helicopter anywhere, not even an empty shelf space. Are they shipping out in separate waves or something?

On the bright side they did have a box of S7 minifigures that now has 3 fewer spacemarines in it.

Do you have access to a Walmart? They don't have any of the Marvel sets on the shelves in my area but I ordered from WM online. And last I checked Amazon has them for the same price.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I tried making custom stickers for my Shuttle last night, but the sticker sheets I found at Office Depot aren't cutting it. They're basically just photo-paper with a sticky back, so they tear easy and they leave tons of residue when you peel them off. And because they're paper they're going to fade and look like poo poo in a few months. How do I get my hands on the clear plastic that Lego uses? And what's the best way to get sticker residue off Lego? :negative:

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
By God, you will stand if I have to buy every last technic joint in Europe!

In seriousness, though, having that second technic disk joint sticking out makes it look like poo poo and complicates the structure of the lower leg. I wonder if a single ball joint on each leg would add enough friction?

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
you could try offsetting one of these http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4185 with http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=6558 with one of these to prevent the top part of the leg from going any lower than you want?

I have used the wheel and pin before to set the amount of range a joint could have on technic vehicles it might work in this case.

I have a dozen or so of those assemblies and they work well for the most part but if something is heavy enough to need two, try not to place them side by side if possible put a spacer between them. Your madcat looks awesome :)

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

If you just want to pose it and not move it quickly, you can always use a wormgear or a linear actuator.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

you could try offsetting one of these http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4185 with http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=6558 with one of these to prevent the top part of the leg from going any lower than you want
not quite sure what you're getting at.

Ika posted:

you can always use a wormgear

I always thought this could be destructive to the gears? And I'd have to use a smaller gear to be able to hide it inside the leg without the leg being huge. I've never used worm gears for joints before, but it's an option.

Ordered some of the technic disk joints, going to play around with using 2 + 2 ball joints, see how much weight it holds. Those ball joints get surprisingly strong when you pair them up. I built a platform with four of them and a handle, and it held my entire Thunderbolt at a 45 angle as long as the center of gravity was over the joint. Makes me a little more hopeful for the ankles.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Are you using normal ball sockets, or rubberized ones?

Rubberized ones, especially if you paired them up, would solve almost any joint issues you'd have.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
I'm using these. The description doesn't say rubberized, are they what you mean?

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

afflictionwisp posted:

not quite sure what you're getting at.

To control the range of the joint, you use the pulley wheel and a pin to prevent it from collapsing in towards itself. That way the feet dont end up on in the cockpit. You don't want the full 360 degrees of rotation from the knee joint and its a way to do it that might be less noticable.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=x1192px3 these are the rubber ball joint connectors they do work much better than the plastic ones.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=x1192px3 these are the rubber ball joint connectors they do work much better than the plastic ones.

oh poo poo, the connector! I'm an idiot and can't read. Looks like it connects to an axle on the back? I definitely need some of these, will solve some issues. Might complicate the ankles in different ways, though, one stud length of two axles in each ankle supporting all the weight.

afflictionwisp fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 29, 2012

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
The BTTF Delorean just got 10k votes on cuusoo!
http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/96

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

beato posted:

The BTTF Delorean just got 10k votes on cuusoo!
http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/96

And will never be made.

Almost nothing on Cuusoo with a license attached will ever get made. It costs way, way too much for a license for a one off product, let alone a small handfull of them. They were lucky to get Minecraft, and probably couldn't have afforded to get it for just one product release in a couple more years if Notch and crew turn into a high-ranking studio.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
Just picked up a Exo-force Striking Venom set off Craigslist for $25, I figured it would be partially assembled since the box looked beat up and held together by scotch tape. I get home and find everything is still in its plastic :dance:

A great week to get back into LEGO, picked up the last Wolverine/Deadpool/Magneto set from Wal-Mart, and also grabbed the alien, roman soldier and surgeon from Series 6 as well.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

And will never be made.

Almost nothing on Cuusoo with a license attached will ever get made. It costs way, way too much for a license for a one off product, let alone a small handfull of them. They were lucky to get Minecraft, and probably couldn't have afforded to get it for just one product release in a couple more years if Notch and crew turn into a high-ranking studio.

Yeah, basically. The Eve Rifter is likely to be one of those exceptions that actually happens, because CCP has been falling over themselves to promote it, it's really obvious that they want it to happen.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Wish people would vote for that western modular. Sigh...

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lizard Combatant posted:

Wish people would vote for that western modular. Sigh...

It's ironic that the only way to get votes on Cuuso is to pander to nerds, which also ensures that nothing that gets enough votes will ever actually get made.

e. Hahahaha there's a loving my little pony project on Cuuso

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 30, 2012

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Travis343 posted:

It's ironic that the only way to get votes on Cuuso is to pander to nerds, which also ensures that nothing that gets enough votes will ever actually get made.

Maybe a 'no existing license' rule would be better if they have such a low success rate?
If submissions keep getting to 10,000 and having to be turned down, the site will die.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
As opposed to all the adult Lego fans who are not nerds?

Minecraft and EVE are no nerdier than Western Modulars and the like.

Travis343 posted:

nothing that gets enough votes will ever actually get made.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Maybe a 'no existing license' rule would be better if they have such a low success rate?

They don't have a low success rate though. To date, I think only one set that hit 10,000 has been rejected and that wasn't due to licensing issues. Although if it had of made it that far licensing probably would have been an issue too. Three have been made, one of them involved a license and there is another licensed property that has reached 10,000 that I think has a pretty good chance.

If it becomes an issue in the future there's nothing stopping them tweaking the application/voting process if they want the site to continue to function. Especially given the site/concept is still theoretically in a beta stage. I'd be suprised if a fairly low success rate wasn't considered the norm. The current success rate is a lot higher than I'd have expected. I think they've made it clear that desptie the popularity contest nature of the voting, the next stage is more of a business decision than anything else.

For what it's worth I suspect the Back to the Future set to be rejected before the licensing stage simply because, despite 10,000, it's not a license with enough interest to be worth making a one-off set for. I might be wrong on that though.

Despite all the specualtion that Lego won't make a one-off (major) licensed product we don't actually know if that's the case or not yet. I think it probably is, but I do find myself wondering if it's as big a barrier as a lot of people think in many cases. For something like the Serenity ship there are loads of small fan orientated companies making licensed products so the license itself can't be that big an immovable object.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 30, 2012

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Travis343 posted:

e. Hahahaha there's a loving my little pony project on Cuuso

MLP Kreo could happen though!

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
:words: for the record I don't actually care that much about Cuusoo or anything. I think it's a fun and interesting PR thing from a company that's pretty good to it's fans in that respect. In terms of PR and helping raise awareness outside of Lego's core audience I think it's doing just fine.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Gravy Jones posted:

:words: for the record I don't actually care that much about Cuusoo or anything. I think it's a fun and interesting PR thing from a company that's pretty good to it's fans in that respect. In terms of PR and helping raise awareness outside of Lego's core audience I think it's doing just fine.

Hey I like the site too :)

Sorry I was speaking hypothetically but wasn't being very clear, I meant that it's likely that the most popular designs are going to have a licensing issue.
And a lot of these may not have cool guys like Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg getting behind them.
To me, the Shaun of the Dead and Minecraft sets have really lucky in this regard and can't be considered typical of the process.
Even despite this, the SotD design got rejected for a non-licensing issue (and understandably so, if disappointing).
If it keeps happening, I think it'll hurt the site's chance of success and no one wins.
Sure, non-licensed stuff might not grab people's attention the same way, but godDAMNIWANTTHATWESTERNMODULASET... :v:

I'm not a anti-licensed lego nut either, I love it all. Just sayin'...

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We also don't really know how many sets of some of the themes even sell. Like how many Architecture sets are sold, especially the big expensive ones? A $200 Robie house model seems a lot riskier than a $30 BTTF Delorean, even if $5 of that goes to the license.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Yeah, a lot of this simply remains to be seen. Sure stuff like My Little Pony that is current and (most importantly) already has conflicting competitive licenses will almost certainly have an issue. But stuff like Back to the Future and Serenity? It remains to be seen. If it makes it that far the Back to the Future set will be an interesting test case. But the amount of small statue, figure, model and t-shirt companies who license these sort of products, sometimes as one-offs, suggests to me that it might not be the automatic end of the road that a lot of people seem to think it is.

Time will tell I guess.

Also, licensing is a two way street and the holders of a license are always happy to (a) make money and (b) raise awareness of their brand or product. In that respect Lego has a lot of visibility, generates a lot of good will and has a big built in audience. They are a pretty attractive partner for this kind of stuff.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 30, 2012

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Gravy Jones posted:

Also, licensing is a two way street and the holders of a license are always happy to (a) make money and (b) raise awareness of their brand or product. In that respect Lego has a lot of visibility, generates a lot of good will and has a big built in audience. They are a pretty attractive partner for this kind of stuff.

Yeah, that's all very true. A lego license is like toy royalty. I should stop being so pessimistic.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
In other news someone is planning a minifig scale Helm's Deep MOC

This is a "test" to see how feasible it is

There are a couple of minfigs at the base for scale. The quantities of Lego involved in some of these things always floors me.

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

And will never be made.

I could absolutely see a Back to the Future set coming around 2015 for the 30th anniversary of the first film. The trilogy is popular enough around the world that fan demand could spawn a couple of sets. Yeah there's not as many 'action' scenes as say Indiana Jones or PotC, but some scenes could be Marty getting chased by Biff, the clock tower, Doc Brown's wacky Blacksmith shop, Cafe 80's, Manure truck. There's stuff to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Gravy Jones posted:

Not only that but a ton of people grew up with Legos and I think would be more than enthusiastic about living the childhood dream and having themselves or their product immortalized in Lego form. I think this was the case with Minecraft, right? Notch was super psyched about it.

Haven't a few celebrities who play characters from things like Indiana Jones expressed happiness at having a Minifig version of themselves?