Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I think I'm done with both of my maps. I fixed the name issue with Suicides and changed a lot of poo poo in Abattoir Blues. Like...a lot. Completely different map, now.

Some screens of Abattoir:

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

QwertySanchez posted:

I noticed dog mode there, was that the quake lightning gun that set the player on fire when he fell in the water??
Yep! Gotta be careful with those.

Rather Dashing posted:

That left me with a genuine, unironic grin on my face. Where's the music from?
It's "Teenage Crimewave" by Bobby Trafalgar.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Any feedback would be nice or if you are a word guru you can pretty it up if you want.

Haha yes finally an excuse to use LaTeX. I'll try to whip up something for you in the next couple of days.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Speaking of which, hook me up with all the images if you can rgb and I'll make you somethnig pretty (or dumb).

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Updated GOONWAD list:

Cream-of-Plenty - "Suicides" + "Abattoir Blues" (almost done fixing, will rehost)
Sanzuo - "Starship"
Encryptic - "Blood of the Earth"
an_mutt - "Aquatic Ruin"
SPACE HOMOS - "Waste" (needs to be fixed?)
Jimmy Boag
Chinese Tony Danza
John Carstairs - "TeleLab 01"
Reive
Dukka
Ayin

MAYBES:
Savage Messiah

I went ahead and uploaded a newer version with less flickery lights.

http://www.mediafire.com/?rq2qig5ylya314e

I'm also creating a part II but it's a lot more ambitious, so who knows when it'll be done.

James Peach
Dec 30, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I think I'm done with both of my maps.

I like what you've done with Abattoir Blues a good bit. Played it vanilla and with Brutal Doom, and it's noticeably more difficult, in a good way. Still some things wrong with it:

1. One of the issues I mentioned from the first time I played AB is still there. This:

results in this:

2. When you enter the area with the altar, you have a wall come up to trap the players with the revenants. That's good. After you get the red skull key and take the teleporter, if you go back you'll find that the wall from the other side is see through, like this:

That's bad.

As for the level itself, I think the gameplay is solid, and the visuals are good aside from those glitches I mentioned. I think it would be nice if players could lower the wall I mentioned in (2) should they want to go back to the red skull key room for whatever reason, but that's just my opinion.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

CoarsestGrate posted:

I like what you've done with Abattoir Blues a good bit. Played it vanilla and with Brutal Doom, and it's noticeably more difficult, in a good way. Still some things wrong with it:

1. One of the issues I mentioned from the first time I played AB is still there. This:

results in this:

I totally see what happened with problem #2, but I still cannot replicate problem #1. Nothing shows up in either Doom Builder or Skulltag, and it's really mystifying. I wonder if anybody else is getting the same issue.

This is what I get when I play the map in that area:

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 27, 2012

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

I can't get past the cathedral full of revenants. :(

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Sanzuo posted:

I can't get past the cathedral full of revenants. :(

GOOD! My goal was to make this too difficult for you, Sanzuo. You were the only one who didn't say the original was too easy. :c00lbert:

Make sure you're picking up the chaingun in the Mancubus chamber and the DB shotgun in the secret. At that point, you should have enough firepower to level 4 or 5 revenants.

James Peach
Dec 30, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I totally see what happened with problem #2, but I still cannot replicate problem #1. Nothing shows up in either Doom Builder or Skulltag, and it's really mystifying. I wonder if anybody else is getting the same issue.

This is what I get when I play the map in that area:

I took a closer look. Played the wad in PrBoom and regular ZDoom and the problem isn't there. It seems to be something with GZdoom that's causing the issue. No clue what it could be, though.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's a weird little something - SplitWolf!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPgvTvxrFM0
It's a four-player splitscreen co-op mod for Wolfenstein 3D... for some reason.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So, I'm going to need a few bad enough dudes who would like to consider doing some multiplayer videos for my Descent II LP. I figure that this is the outside thread to recruit in.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

For you folks that love GZDoom, Spawn is a great gem that got lost in the shuffle following the Cacowards and DTWID's release. It's got five maps (well, one boss) and kind of feels like Doom II meets Quake II meets Doom 3. It's pretty much all techbase, but the lighting is great and while the first three maps have some irritating hub-running, his HUD tells you exactly what you have to do and the automap will show you where you have to go to do it. Also, there's some kind of an achievements system. I doubt you can do everything in one run, but it's cool that the designer included them.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Going to try "recovering from IV sedation mapping" right now! :v:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SavageMessiah posted:

Going to try "recovering from IV sedation mapping" right now! :v:
I was gonna make a joke about potmapping, but The Sky May Be was released years ago.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Kins posted:

I was gonna make a joke about potmapping, but The Sky May Be was released years ago.

I still say that Doug's own scholarly dissection of his own masterpiece is one of the best Doom-related videos ever made.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Star Man posted:

So, I'm going to need a few bad enough dudes who would like to consider doing some multiplayer videos for my Descent II LP. I figure that this is the outside thread to recruit in.

I'm tentatively down. I've never used DXX-Rebirth, but as long as it's not too different from D2X-XL there shouldn't be a problem. Is this going to be co-op, deathmatch, or something else entirely?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Heads-up: If for some reason you don't trust or like GOG, it looks like the Thief games are heading to Steam.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Main problem is that Steam usually doesn't care if the games don't run well on modern systems. The most Steam does is put dosbox if needed (doom 1/2).

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Guillermus posted:

Main problem is that Steam usually doesn't care if the games don't run well on modern systems. The most Steam does is put dosbox if needed (doom 1/2).

id Software is the one to blame for that. Not Steam/Valve. It's kind of stupid because they released a fairly good (albeit barebones) Windows source port for use with the Doom Collector's Edition a few years back.

Not that I really cared. I just ripped the WADs from the CDs and shelved them forever :v:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The point is more that Steam/Valve doesn't care whether the game runs well on modern systems, so it's up to the developer/publisher to take care of that, and sometimes they just cannot be arsed. GOG is a better bet because they - at least in principle - handle patching the game for newer systems themselves, ensuring that everything works even if the publisher gives no shits.

This doesn't always work out well (Interstate '76) but they've got a pretty good success rate.

On the other hand, if you're ok with applying the multicore patch and whatnot yourself, the Steam version will probably be cheaper at some point.

E: of course, it's also possible that Valve is trolling us; they like to sprinkle the CDR with games that they have no intention of putting on Steam just to keep people guessing.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

id Software is the one to blame for that. Not Steam/Valve. It's kind of stupid because they released a fairly good (albeit barebones) Windows source port for use with the Doom Collector's Edition a few years back.

Not that I really cared. I just ripped the WADs from the CDs and shelved them forever :v:

Yeah I own the Doom Trilogy (is what it was called in Spain) wich was Doom95 and Doom II 95. Both ran really nice and multiplayer was really easy to jump in.

(My own hosting)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Doom95 did have a fair few issues, including mouse support problems and a weird bug where all the sound effects were at the wrong pitch. I think they were right to include the DOS versions for the purists, and everyone else can just use a source port.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Convex posted:

Doom95 did have a fair few issues, including mouse support problems and a weird bug where all the sound effects were at the wrong pitch. I think they were right to include the DOS versions for the purists, and everyone else can just use a source port.

Yeah, win9x ports of DOS games never seem to hold up well when you try to get them running on a modern machine. (See also Wing Commander: The Kilrathi Saga, which included win9x versions of the first two games that don't actually work very well on XP/7, and a DOS version of the third that works flawlessly in dosbox). Going with the original DOS release is definitely the best move, unless there's significant improvements in the win9x version.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

So, uh...Kins. When were you planning on telling us that Reelism was out? :colbert:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

So, uh...Kins. When were you planning on telling us that Reelism was out? :colbert:

Welp, I know what I'm doing tonight.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Right now! Sorry, it was late. There's apparently still a bug or two and people are finding it a lot harder, but it's all good.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
First round, I get ROTT's dogmode and nothin' but Wolfenstein guard dog enemies. :smugdog:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
That was amazing. Those dogs though... maybe a bit too fast? My very first round I got Reelism 64 and laughed the entire round. I don't even remember what the enemies were or the weapons, just the fog.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
I just finished playing through "Doom the Way Id Did": http://dtwid.herokuapp.com/

And I had a good time with it :) so this is just a reminder that it is a fine level pack. It completely succeeds at being a polished presentation of classic Doom gameplay, true to its roots but with the rough spots filed off. My only complaint would be a level or two that had a bit too much forced slime-trekking, but that's a nitpick of a hugely enjoyable production.

Following along in the "classic but improved" spirit, the setup I used was:

- GZDoom with a texture filter mode of "none (linear mipmap)" -- but I'm not against playing in widescreen with mouselook support.

- Per Kristian's remastered Doom sound effects and weapon animations.

- Sycraft's recordings of the Doom music tracks.

Good times. I do enjoy it when the aftermarket work on a game comes up with new gameplay mechanisms or themes, but I also appreciate it when folks concentrate on dialing in the best essence of the original game.

BTW this is in no way any sort of sneaky commentary on Reelism; it's purely coincidence that I happened to finish DTWID now and had the urge to post about Doom "essence". :) With that session behind me it's probably a great time to check out something like Reelism.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 08:42 on May 1, 2012

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

The Kins posted:

Right now! Sorry, it was late. There's apparently still a bug or two and people are finding it a lot harder, but it's all good.

I only just watched the Reelism trailer. It looks like a lot of fun! I will try it out tomorrow if I have time. How long did it take you to make it?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Johnny Law posted:

I just finished playing through "Doom the Way Id Did": http://dtwid.herokuapp.com/

In this vein, I've finally started playing through Wonderful Doom and it's pretty good. If you want more id-like levels, give it a shot.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The Kins posted:

I can't start Reelism at all (GZDoom 1.5.2, ZDLSharp 3.0.5.3). It gets as far as LoadActors and then fails with this message:

code:
Script error, "reelism-x1.pk7:splot.wad:DW-NRG" line 150:
Unknown identifier 'RGF_FULLBRIGHT'
Script error, "reelism-x1.pk7:splot.wad:DW-NRG" line 240:
Unknown identifier 'RGF_FULLBRIGHT'
Plain Doom 2 works fine, as do Brutal Doom and AoD.

E: turns out I was running the latest official release, not the latest SVN build.

E2: It would be nice if the text showing what you rolled stayed on screen longer

E3: Round 1: dog vs. bronies. Round 2: MY TANK IS FIGHT wait what did it say about friction OH GOD NO NOT THE BOTTOMLESS PIT

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 1, 2012

James Peach
Dec 30, 2008
I got the jackpot.

Why did I get the jackpot?

Anyway, beat it once, got to the boss 3 times. Very fun game, that Reelism.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

CoarsestGrate posted:

I got the jackpot.

Why did I get the jackpot?

Anyway, beat it once, got to the boss 3 times. Very fun game, that Reelism.
See the little numbers on each reel icon? You get jackpots by matching three numbers (4-4-4, 6-6-6 etc.) or by getting special number combinations (9-1-1, 4-5-1 etc.). What one did you get, out of interest?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
After finally trudging through the last few levels of Brutal "Community Chest 2" with Irish and a few other goons, I can safely say "gently caress lost souls." dropping into a huge room with five pain elementals constantly spewing those flaming skulls to the point where you can't even shoot at them without hitting a lost soul instead and jesus they move so fast where did my health go oh god they're spawn camping me.

Also, to whoever made those last few levels: I don't mind keyhunts. jumping puzzles? Sure. Switch puzzles and races? Why not! Crusher mazes? Okay with me! But all of the above, packed into a gigantic, sprawling map filled with well over 800 monsters? I've never wanted to punch a mapper so hard before that trainwreck of a level.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

ChickenHeart posted:

After finally trudging through the last few levels of Brutal "Community Chest 2" with Irish and a few other goons, I can safely say "gently caress lost souls." dropping into a huge room with five pain elementals constantly spewing those flaming skulls to the point where you can't even shoot at them without hitting a lost soul instead and jesus they move so fast where did my health go oh god they're spawn camping me.

Also, to whoever made those last few levels: I don't mind keyhunts. jumping puzzles? Sure. Switch puzzles and races? Why not! Crusher mazes? Okay with me! But all of the above, packed into a gigantic, sprawling map filled with well over 800 monsters? I've never wanted to punch a mapper so hard before that trainwreck of a level.

This taught me that the "gently caress Yourself" line is not meaningful by voice acting or implementation, but by context. After the fourth instant cyberdemon respawn, all the loving-of-selves went straight to irish for setting the server on nightmare.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
I didn't think it was going to be that awful. Treat you and Eatpants weren't there for the archvile hell that was somewhere in the early 20s.

Though the best was Chickenheart getting trapped in that Mancubus tomb in another early 20s map and dying for 5 minutes straight while I cleared the level up to him.

Also gently caress that last level. It was unplayable.

ChickenHeart posted:

I don't mind keyhunts.

SO WHEN'RE WE GONNA FINISH HEXEN?

EDIT: And no matter the horrifying circumstances we were in for the last few levels, pokewad with brutal doom makes everything better.

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 2, 2012

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
gently caress Hexen. Throw that poo poo in the trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I dicked around with Hexen 64 quite a bit. It didn't get a sweet-rear end upgrade like Doom 64 did, it was just plain ol' Hexen. There was co-op though! Unfortunately the game was bad enough that I couldn't convince anyone to play it with me.