Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

My right turn signal started being intermittent, and the left one stopped working altogether. The switch was filthy, so I cleaned it, and now the right signal is less intermittent, but the left still doesn't work.

I took the tail off and am going to go through the mass of free-air-taped splices from the PO's fender eliminator. If everything is OK, then a new flasher relay, I guess. Or not use signals anymore. I'm kinda either way, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

MotoMind posted:

Stuff a plastic bag in the cam chain tunnel, but leave some sticking out so you can remove it easily and don't forget it in there.

Losing a small object down the cam chain tunnel is no bueno.

That's generally a pretty good advice.

It's not really needed here though, since you don't have to gently caress around with shims and poo poo on that bike.

The only thing at risk for being dropped down there would be an 8mm. wrench or a beer capsule. An 8mm wrench won't fit in there, but a beer capsule might.

Drinking canned beer while performing the art will probably keep you just as safe as the plastic bag trick. There's no way you can brute-force a beer-can down the cam chain tunnel.... I think. drat, I might have to test that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I should have considered the plastic bag trick when I was rebuilding the headset and stem...then I wouldn't have had to fish around inside the front down tube with a magnet on a stick to get the balls back out :argh:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Adjusted the CCT on the 636 in. Now it doesn't tick at all and has a sight whine, but I won't have to listen to any more wannabe stunters tell me "Yo your motor is knocking bro".

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Mounted a Pelican Storm iM2620 topcase on the KLR: http://www.pelican-case.com/im2620.html

I calculated that the Pelican Storm was the perfect size to store a pair of boots, my Roadcrafter, and gloves. It's a very nice balance of length, height, and width. The only downside is a pair of recesses for the wheels, which I did not consider in my measurements. Because of those recesses, it's limited to storing touring boots at the very bottom; tall MX boots do not fit so well.

For prep, I removed the roller and handle assembly, and removed the middle set of mounting nipples using a wood saw.

I then unbolted the plastic deck from the KLR rear rack to use as a template. The placement I chose had the frontmost part of the deck lined up with the edge of the case. While I held it tightly in place I heated up a screwdriver and inserted it through the template and into the plastic of the case, creating a set of neatly placed holes.

Then it was a matter of flexing everything into alignment, a job made more difficult by the presence of side racks. On the upside, those side racks will help reinforce the stock top rack, which isn't rated for much more than 20 lbs.

The primary downside to any topcase is that in case of a direct rear-end accident there's a high risk of paralysis for a passenger; slightly less so for the driver. I can easily imagine a severe lumbar fracture over the edge of a case.

Pictures tomorrow.

Edit: This was a one-beer job, but took two beers because of random frustrations involved in working on the sidewalk. Final rating:

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 29, 2012

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
I pulled the rear wheel from the '82 XJ650. It's time to start the tire swap.

The trickier question is the final drive oil seal. Has anyone here ever done one? The Haynes manual doesn't have any info on how to do it, nor do I see anything on xjbikes.com. Basically: do I need to open the case? Given the non-serviceability of these units, I don't want to go in deeper than necessary on what is currently a working item.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Mounted up a Michelin T63 in 110/80-18. Let it soften up in the sun for 2 hours and it slid right on, even though the first step was to seat the whole rim inside the tire (I'm using Tubliss so you can't reach over the inner tube). Took surprisingly little air to get it up to pressure. Should spin up nicely, probably a better fit for the 250's powerplant than a 120 or 130 tire. 130/90-18 Michelin MT21 for comparison.

It took about 2 hours to do, largely because I needed to be very delicate with the Tubliss liner and made sure I got everything as clean as possible. It's bad ju ju if you nick the liner while removing or installing the tire or have crap in there.

Rating: 0 beers.

Tire changes, oil changes, and air filter cleaning are routine and don't receive a beer rating.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Made some progress on the track SV. Put the rear end together then started working on the wiring. Soldered it up, put it roughly in place then started trying to get it working...still have a lot of work.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
Working on 125's is a pain in the rear end! Everything around the engine on my little YZF R-125 just seems to be crammed into the smallest area possible, with no thought at all given to how the gently caress you'd get access to anything!

I Gave the bike its 14k mile valve check and an overdue oil, filter and spark plug change over the weekend. It was my first time doing a valve check so I gave myself plenty of time, which proved to be well needed!

Got all 10 pieces of the fairing jigsaw off the sides of the bike in about 30mins, then removed the tank. I was greeted by the smallest amount of access to the head cover I could ever imagine. I got everything I could easily move out of the way and was left with this:

I could barely get my hand in there, let alone get any decent access to the head cover's bolts! An hour later I managed to get the bolts loose enough to unscrew by hand. I managed to get to the exhaust side with a spanner through a gap on either side between the frame and the radiator, and could get a small socket extension to the intake side.

After being so much of a pain in the rear end to get to, I finally get the feeler gauge in there and....they're slightly on the tight side, but still well within spec. Not a single adjustment needed.

gently caress you bike, gently caress you.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

I should have considered the plastic bag trick when I was rebuilding the headset and stem...then I wouldn't have had to fish around inside the front down tube with a magnet on a stick to get the balls back out :argh:

This is much less fun when you drop something non-ferrous down in there.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Pinny posted:

gently caress you bike, gently caress you.

After removing the carbs on an R6 I've pretty much vowed never to touch another modern sportbike. I'm sticking with my vintage Hondas.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
What did I do to my bike today?
I bought it.
1975 CB125 :hellyeah:
This thing is loving cute.
I'll try to snap some pictures tonight.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I bought it.

I have a 74 125S

I'd challenge you to a race, but I'd clearly win :smug:

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

After removing the carbs on an R6 I've pretty much vowed never to touch another modern sportbike. I'm sticking with my vintage Hondas.

The money saved by doing it myself was far outweighed by the amount of frustration it caused for those few hours. I'm glad I did it, as now I won't be so reluctant to tackle things like that in the future, but my god it'll be tempting to just go "gently caress it" and put it in the shop instead of wasting the better part of a Saturday afternoon.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

I have a 74 125S

I'd challenge you to a race, but I'd clearly win :smug:
The S is for sayonara.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Pinny posted:

The money saved by doing it myself was far outweighed by the amount of frustration it caused for those few hours. I'm glad I did it, as now I won't be so reluctant to tackle things like that in the future, but my god it'll be tempting to just go "gently caress it" and put it in the shop instead of wasting the better part of a Saturday afternoon.

The first time is always the slowest. As you work on them more and more you'll get faster and faster at handling maintenance.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I bought it.

You still don't have the 360 going, you jackass.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
I replaced the dry clutch assembly on my Monster.

The old basket and pack had 25,000 miles on it and was starting to slip pretty bad. I broke one of the posts off the hub earlier and was running with 4 springs instead of 6 for a while.

I got a new aluminum pack, and slightly used aluminum basket and hub. The whole job took about two hours, since I was going slow. The only thing I didn't have was a torque wrench that went to 150 ft-lb, mine only goes to 75.

After borrowing it from the neighbor I was good to go. It's hard to believe how sloppy the engagement was compared to new. It also cleared up the bucking at slow speeds in 1st and 2nd.

It's also a lot quieter now, but you still know it's a dry clutch.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I discovered that a 1-3/4" rubber expansion plug is a nearly perfect fit for the starter motor fitting on my CL350. So, I finally got rid of it, having already removed the starter sprocket and chain and all the electronics that control it. It was squealing and since the bike starts just great with the kick, eh, who needs the extra 10 pounds? Now the front of the engine is quite a bit more open and clean-looking, with just a little brass disc where the starter was. Neato.

Also, I lubed up some nipples and twisted them good and tight. One wheel is now trued up and the other is getting there.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 1, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Bucephalus posted:

You still don't have the 360 going, you jackass.

haha that's gonna take a backseat to the 125 now. I want a bike to teach the GF to ride on. neither should take all that long to get back on the road.
the guy also threw in 2 CB360 tanks to sweeten the deal. I might put one on the 125 just to be awesome.

BOTH the 360 and 125 have new tires and decent brakes though. I've been getting awesome deals on bikes lately.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I threw some race carbs on there and started it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP-k-f-D6iE

Yeah I know I sound like a nitwit.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I changed the oil, bike last got it's oil changed 6k KM ago.

The oil was just pure black ... bike runs a hell of a lot better now.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I know they generally don't run for poo poo but I love the sound of pod filters or open intakes.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Z3n posted:

I know they generally don't run for poo poo but I love the sound of pod filters or open intakes.

Holy hell me too :3:

I don't know if that's necessarily true about them not running well, but the logic certainly holds water. I give them my fair share of poo poo when people ask me if they should put them on their bikes.
They don't run too well on stock bikes or with stock carbs but they've been nothing short of spectacular on my CR29's. Even going fast or when it's windy I've not had a problem.

well... not until it rained hard and a bunch of water got in the motor on the way home. :sigh:

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Oh my god, I haven't heard anything that sounds that awesome in so long. Revving the motor made my stomach move!

Is it bad that I just got my first bike and I really want something like a CB750 to wrench on. I have a decent tool set and I've done some work on cars before, but never on any carb'd motors (totally not against it though). There's not much I can do to the Ninja 250 and I don't want to throw too much cash at it from the start since it runs perfectly and is basically new.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Forks off. The bike is resting on a stack of foam bricks, since I couldn't leave enough weight on the tail to get it to stand up that way. Taking the forks to a shop for service tomorrow.

The shop is actually really good. Only about 5% more expensive than the internet on tires, and free install. Randomly good prices on other parts, too.

Also, the flasher shorted out my console today. I flipped the blinker on to pass a cop, and lost my dials :(. I also lost the neutral and oil lights, but the bright indicator still came on.

I replaced the fuse and decided to not use the blinkers anymore.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Changed oil. Overfilled very slightly it turns out after a 10 mile test ride. This bike has the most convoluted oil change procedure ever.

Unfortunately I think my battery is dying. I replaced it about 6 months ago so its a little unexpected. The last few times I've taken it out starting has been a bit harder. Today after riding for about 5 miles and stopping for gas it needed 3 attempts at starting. The first did nothing, the second turned it over and the third time fired up. At least I think it is the battery because this is the same behavior as I saw last time before I replaced the battery, and it went away afterwards.

Got a 3 day trip lined up for this weekend so I am hoping the shop I bought the battery from will warranty it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Oh my god, I haven't heard anything that sounds that awesome in so long. Revving the motor made my stomach move!

Is it bad that I just got my first bike and I really want something like a CB750 to wrench on. I have a decent tool set and I've done some work on cars before, but never on any carb'd motors (totally not against it though). There's not much I can do to the Ninja 250 and I don't want to throw too much cash at it from the start since it runs perfectly and is basically new.

Thank you for this. I'm grinning ear to ear.
Once it get it out and broken in I'll try and record some 8k rpms. 5000rpm is really where the fun begins.

My 1977 CB750 was the first bike I bought. It was perfect. It's a little bit more expensive, and difficult than a twin (there's about twice as many parts to buy basically), but I never regretted it.

The SOHC motors are so incredibly simple and there's such a wealth of info and support that it's a perfect first bike to wrench on.

If you want to get a head start, head on over to http://forums.sohc4.net/

If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 2, 2012

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Wiring on the track bike figured out...still needs to be cleaned up, wrapped and put in place. Tossed the carbs on and connected all the throttle cables. If time allows tonight I'll see if it will start.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Thank you for this. I'm grinning ear to ear.
Once it get it out and broken in I'll try and record some 8k rpms. 5000rpm is really where the fun begins.

My 1977 CB750 was the first bike I bought. It was perfect. It's a little bit more expensive, and difficult than a twin (there's about twice as many parts to buy basically), but I never regretted it.

The SOHC motors are so incredibly simple and there's such a wealth of info and support that it's a perfect first bike to wrench on.

If you want to get a head start, head on over to http://forums.sohc4.net/

If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

Has the SOHC world figured out how to stop that drat headgasket leak yet?

That was the thing that annoyed me the most about my old CB750

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Finally sorted out my fuel overflow issue. Turns out I had a combination of badly cut bowl gaskets that sometimes snagged the floats and a couple of wrongly sized washers on the needle valve seats that leaked fuel into the bowl bypassing the drat needle valve.

Now that the fuel flow is sorted out, I can finish the paintwork on my other tank and ride again. W00t!

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

GanjamonII posted:

Changed oil. Overfilled very slightly it turns out after a 10 mile test ride. This bike has the most convoluted oil change procedure ever.

Unfortunately I think my battery is dying. I replaced it about 6 months ago so its a little unexpected. The last few times I've taken it out starting has been a bit harder. Today after riding for about 5 miles and stopping for gas it needed 3 attempts at starting. The first did nothing, the second turned it over and the third time fired up. At least I think it is the battery because this is the same behavior as I saw last time before I replaced the battery, and it went away afterwards.

Got a 3 day trip lined up for this weekend so I am hoping the shop I bought the battery from will warranty it.

Well the battery tested out fine. I cleaned the +ve terminal when I re-installed it with a wire brush as it was crusty as gently caress and now it starts as soon as I even think of pushing the button. In fact just typing this post out probably made it start, even though its 10 miles away from me. I hope I didn't leave it in gear.

I'm a little concerned that something else is up, but I'll ride it around till it breaks again I guess. Or maybe it was some random quirk. It is Italian after all.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Has the SOHC world figured out how to stop that drat headgasket leak yet?

That was the thing that annoyed me the most about my old CB750

Yeah, get a decent head gasket and get proper engine studs. The stockers are poo poo.

http://cbrzone.com/sohc.html
http://dynoman.net/engine/studs.html

If it still leaks deck your cyls or head; one is most likely warped.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Installed a legal tail light, blinkers front and back, plus mirrors. Maybe now it will actual pass the bi-annual vehicle inspection (all the things I mentioned are required for a motorbike to be road legal, I just seem to have lost them earlier).

The tail tidy from R&G Racing looks really nice.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Replaced muh ground strap. Poor thing has to take such a scenic route through a congested area with one end nailed to a VibroMatic(TM) engine, it's a wonder it held on for six years. Someone needs to invent a batt compartment where you just slide the thing in, close a latch, and all the contacts line up. I'm sure BMW thought of this back in 1922 or something.

Also ran into this, and dug it much:

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Marv Hushman posted:

Also ran into this, and dug it much:

I love that look. Just the right amount of chrome to be a great accent as opposed to overbearing.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Helped the wife out with the VF500C carb rack last night. She got through the three I didn't get through after giving up because I was frustrated with stripped out screws and making trips to the Honda dealer to finish the project that she was neglecting.

Carbs came off because they were leaking huge amounts of fuel. Float bowl seal or stuck float valve were likely culprits. Tried tapping the bowls with a screwdriver and riding it good and flat out to try and un-stick a float valve. Neither worked.

Both outside carbs seemed to have sort of messed up seals. Inside ones looked ok. Float valves all moved nicely. Jets were nice and clean (it never had trouble running). We're operating on the assumption that the fuel was getting past the messed up float bowl seals.

Everything's back together on the bench, we just have to put the rack back on the Magna. God I hope I can find all those stupid little screws and poo poo.

The best part of this task was the Harbor Freight dude's look of horror when she asked where they keep their pig's dicks.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Plugged it into the trickle charger because I left the heated grips on when I got home last night :cripes: This was followed by throwing my helmet in the car and driving to work fully geared. The lady at the ferry terminal kiosk looked at me oddly.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Pope Mobile posted:

Plugged it into the trickle charger because I left the heated grips on when I got home last night :cripes: This was followed by throwing my helmet in the car and driving to work fully geared. The lady at the ferry terminal kiosk looked at me oddly.

I used to do this far...far too often. Like, carry around the trickle charger with me, too often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Mine turn off with the bike, it's nice for dumbasses like me.