Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

To add to the umami/anchovy discussion:

I was reading in the latest cook's illustrated about how umami flavors can be further enhanced by including a Disodium guanylate or disodium inosinate component with an MSG component. Apparently the two synergize and create a better savory flavor than either alone. So for vegetarian options, I think dried shiitake (they contain the Disodium guanylate) and kombu (they have the MSG) would help more than just some MSG powder. They also mentioned that anchovies/sardines already had a mixture of both of those chemicals, so they're a good addition to a lot of food. IIRC, fish sauce just contains the MSG, at least how they had it listed on their chart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

bringmyfishback posted:

It's just not an option for me. When I say I'm fine with fish sauce, I mean that I can't really taste the fishiness if it's in a curry or something- but I've tried anchovies before, and ended up retching from the fishy taste. Sigh. Lame.
Add some acidity during the prep. What you're smelling/tasting as `fishy' is almost certainly methyl amine (or one of the other amines commonly found in fish), which will be converted from the volatile (and therefore smelly) form it naturally occurs in to a less volatile (and therefore essentially odourless) salt in the presence of an acid like lemon juice or vinegar. This is also one of the reasons why you don't get a `fishy' note off of tomato sauces containing fish sauce, or `traditional' marinaras containing seafood.

I mean I can't get inside your head and from the way you're talking about it it might be enough that you just know that there's fish in there. And I can't help you with that. But I'd bet you dollars to doughnuts that most of what's tripping the freak-out circuit in your brain is the odour more than the flavour, just because we're way more sensitive to the scent of amines (and just about everything else) than the flavour.

Scott Bakula posted:

Not really sure where to ask this but, I'd like to grow my own chilli plants. A few different varieties I guess. How important is the time of year (am I too late?) and what sort of conditions do they generally need? I'm in England so they would definitely be grown indoors
I've never grown hot peppers indoors, but I have grown them in planters and I've never found them to be that picky. Most (all?) hot peppers are perennials and will grow any time of year. About the only `trick' is that they seem to be calcium-hungry, so adding some bonemeal (or something similar) to the soil every once in awhile is a good idea---if they start looking kinda sad and wilty, this is probably the first thing you want to check. Assuming you're giving them enough water. I'm not master gardener and I just grown things for cooking (and not competition) so I'm willing to be convinced that I'm Doing It All Wrong and there's all kinds of crazy poo poo that you need to worry about to which I'm entirely oblivious.

Some peppers---like all fruiting plants---will flower but won't produce fruit unless they're pollinated. Since I've never grown 'em indoors I don't have any knowledge to lay down on this; maybe ask in the gardening thread.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

SubG posted:

Add some acidity during the prep. What you're smelling/tasting as `fishy' is almost certainly methyl amine (or one of the other amines commonly found in fish), which will be converted from the volatile (and therefore smelly) form it naturally occurs in to a less volatile (and therefore essentially odourless) salt in the presence of an acid like lemon juice or vinegar. This is also one of the reasons why you don't get a `fishy' note off of tomato sauces containing fish sauce, or `traditional' marinaras containing seafood.

I mean I can't get inside your head and from the way you're talking about it it might be enough that you just know that there's fish in there. And I can't help you with that. But I'd bet you dollars to doughnuts that most of what's tripping the freak-out circuit in your brain is the odour more than the flavour, just because we're way more sensitive to the scent of amines (and just about everything else) than the flavour.

I just read "amines" as "animes" and got all confused...

Anyways, thanks to everyone who suggested fixes for this. I know it sounds dumb to say that fish bothers me- and whoever said that the problem might be handling the fish, yeah, that is actually a huge part of it- and fish sauce doesn't really, but blergh.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
And this is why people who simply don't /like/ something end up saying that they're allergic to it. Because people can't leave them the gently caress alone about it. If someone says they don't like something, maybe it's best to just let it go and suggest something else? "Oh but you haven't tried it /this/ way!" :eyeroll: Just let it go. People have different tastes. S/he wasn't saying that s/he is some kind of bland food person who cooks out of boxes. It's a dislike for a specific ingredient. That's not a horrible thing!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

coyo7e posted:

:350: Nice glassware on the barbecue duder :350:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

VoodooSchmoodoo posted:

I have a quick question: I plan on cooking Rick Stein's recipe for carbonara on the weekend but I may have a problem acquiring pecorino cheese.

It seems my alternative options are parmesan (too pungent?), manchego (too nutty?) or asiago (I've tried it before, but can't remember too much about it. I think it's more tangy and fruity so may be the best option).

Any guidance is welcome.

Really any of those cheeses would work fine. Pecorino is the authentic and probably best choice, but if it's not available anything that's nice and hard and salty should do the trick. I'd use parmigiano to keep it in the same geographic vicinity, but it'll be good no matter what.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
SubG should get his own show.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Didion posted:

What's the trick to making polenta worth eating. do I mix stock, magic beans, what?

Cook it in for 3 hours in milk and finish it with butter and parm.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

SubG posted:

I've never grown hot peppers indoors, but I have grown them in planters and I've never found them to be that picky. Most (all?) hot peppers are perennials and will grow any time of year. About the only `trick' is that they seem to be calcium-hungry, so adding some bonemeal (or something similar) to the soil every once in awhile is a good idea---if they start looking kinda sad and wilty, this is probably the first thing you want to check. Assuming you're giving them enough water. I'm not master gardener and I just grown things for cooking (and not competition) so I'm willing to be convinced that I'm Doing It All Wrong and there's all kinds of crazy poo poo that you need to worry about to which I'm entirely oblivious.

Some peppers---like all fruiting plants---will flower but won't produce fruit unless they're pollinated. Since I've never grown 'em indoors I don't have any knowledge to lay down on this; maybe ask in the gardening thread.

I'll buy a few plants then and give it a go. Worst that happens is they just provide some colour to the room. As for the pollination I read that all thats really needed is brushing a finger/cotton bud around all the flowers if they won't have access to insects that do it for you.

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009
So I'm going to make hummus from scratch for the first time tomorrow. I've got the chickpeas soaking and everything, and I have tehina, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and lemons (for juice). My (probably dumb) question is this: Do I add the tehina and oil and stuff immediately as I drain and mash the cooked chickpeas, or do I need to wait for them to cool a bit?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Psychobabble posted:

Cook it in for 3 hours in milk and finish it with butter and parm.

This. Though honestly you don't really "need" three hours.. letting the polenta get a toasty crust on the pan to flavor the rest of it, while a super bitch to clean, is really delicious.

I've always enjoyed hard polenta more than soft, honestly.. so pour that polenta on a LINED sheet tray, let it cool and set up, then you can cube it up and you know, do whatever (at the restaurant we'd do a little boat of polenta, veggies, cheese, and pesto and bake it, it was a vegetarian fat-bomb of awesome).

Also once it's cooled you can give it a little dredge and pan fry it.. fried starch + cheese always = good.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Grushenka posted:

So I'm going to make hummus from scratch for the first time tomorrow. I've got the chickpeas soaking and everything, and I have tehina, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and lemons (for juice). My (probably dumb) question is this: Do I add the tehina and oil and stuff immediately as I drain and mash the cooked chickpeas, or do I need to wait for them to cool a bit?

It probably won't make a difference, but I would let the chickpeas cool a bit while I prepped the other things. Are you doing it in a food processor?

Personally, I'd also add some lemon zest, cumin, and I've even done a little rosemary before, but of course hummus is very versatile so experiment with little batches!

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009
I'm doing it by hand unfortunately :( Though the cumin and lemon zest is a really good idea. I was thinking of chopping up fresh chillies to add in, so perhaps I'll take the little batches idea! Thank you!

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
Do it while the chickpeas are hot. If you do it while they are cold you will have to work twice as hard and end up with a product that is just not as nice.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Every time I've tried frying solidified polenta, it always ends up sticking to the pan and I end up getting a gobbly mess. This is on a nonstick pan with olive oil. What am I doing wrong? :(

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Doh004 posted:

Every time I've tried frying solidified polenta, it always ends up sticking to the pan and I end up getting a gobbly mess. This is on a nonstick pan with olive oil. What am I doing wrong? :(

Are you dredging it with flour? Also if you know you're going to be frying it up, then I'd suggest cooking the polenta a bit thicker, too.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Turkeybone posted:

Are you dredging it with flour? Also if you know you're going to be frying it up, then I'd suggest cooking the polenta a bit thicker, too.

No I haven't. None of the recipes I've read have said to do it. I'll try it out next time.

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

anyone have a good "basic" paella recipe I can check out and mess around with? forums search didn't turn up anything other than a delicious photo from a cooking thread

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mr Gentleman posted:

anyone have a good "basic" paella recipe I can check out and mess around with? forums search didn't turn up anything other than a delicious photo from a cooking thread

Paella is more a method than it is a recipe. I don't want to be presumptuous, but I'm assuming the paella pic was mine. I watched the hell out of Jose Andres making paella on the youtubes, http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...1221.11j5.16.0.

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

GrAviTy84 posted:

Paella is more a method than it is a recipe. I don't want to be presumptuous, but I'm assuming the paella pic was mine. I watched the hell out of Jose Andres making paella on the youtubes, http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...1221.11j5.16.0.

Thanks a ton, a method is exactly what I'm looking for. I just wanted something I could learn the basic concept from

edit: and yeah, it was your post here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437879&pagenumber=27&perpage=40#post398973326 :)

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Kenning posted:

Really any of those cheeses would work fine. Pecorino is the authentic and probably best choice, but if it's not available anything that's nice and hard and salty should do the trick. I'd use parmigiano to keep it in the same geographic vicinity, but it'll be good no matter what.

Honestly I never have pecorino on hand so I almost always use parmigiano. It is a little...uh...sharper? And I think you have to be a little careful about salt, especially with bacon/pancetta in the mix, but it's definitely edible. Mmmm.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Our friends are hosting the next group get-together, and they're serving spaghetti and meatballs. I was going to volunteer for garlic bread, but someone beat me to it. I'll probably end up volunteering to bring the vegetable.

Normally when I make something like that I serve a regular mixed green salad, but I'd like to step it up a little.

Any inspiring ideas for a green vegetable dish that would go well with spaghetti? My first thought was something like a warm wilted spinach salad with goat cheese, but I'd gladly try something new and unusual. I just can't come up with anything interesting off the top of my head.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
/\
How about grilled thick zuccini slices sprinkled with olive oil, topped with fresh basil and goat cheese (or chopped sundried tomato for vegetarians)

Hawkgirl posted:

Honestly I never have pecorino on hand so I almost always use parmigiano. It is a little...uh...sharper? And I think you have to be a little careful about salt, especially with bacon/pancetta in the mix, but it's definitely edible. Mmmm.

It's definitely sharper, more salty and harder than pecorino

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cowcatcher posted:

It's definitely sharper, more salty and harder than pecorino

huh? Pecorino romano tastes a lot saltier than parm regiano.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

huh? Pecorino romano tastes a lot saltier than parm regiano.

I think Cowcatcher meant to say parmigiano, not pecorino, in which case s/he'd be agreeing with you.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
What's the french word for that crispy, slightly browned rice you get if you leave it on the stove a bit too long?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
MY GIRLFRIEND doesn't really eat fish and she's decided that she'll try some today.

I picked up supafresh Ahi steaks, looking for an idea of how to cook them up for A GIRL. I usually just sear it with a beurre blanc, but I'd like some other ideas.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Cowcatcher posted:

/\
How about grilled thick zuccini slices sprinkled with olive oil, topped with fresh basil and goat cheese (or chopped sundried tomato for vegetarians)

I feel like zucchini might be kind of starchy to serve with pasta, but I do love the stuff.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

MY GIRLFRIEND doesn't really eat fish and she's decided that she'll try some today.

I picked up supafresh Ahi steaks, looking for an idea of how to cook them up for A GIRL. I usually just sear it with a beurre blanc, but I'd like some other ideas.

I dunno man, girls don't eat food like regular people. You might want to have like, zucchini or fairy dust or some poo poo in there, not steaks and butter.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

RazorBunny posted:

Our friends are hosting the next group get-together, and they're serving spaghetti and meatballs. I was going to volunteer for garlic bread, but someone beat me to it. I'll probably end up volunteering to bring the vegetable.

Normally when I make something like that I serve a regular mixed green salad, but I'd like to step it up a little.

Any inspiring ideas for a green vegetable dish that would go well with spaghetti? My first thought was something like a warm wilted spinach salad with goat cheese, but I'd gladly try something new and unusual. I just can't come up with anything interesting off the top of my head.

Blanched then sauteed broccoli rabe with garlic, chile and the best olive oil you can afford. Bring it blanched and finish it on site.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

RazorBunny posted:

Not to be funny, but for some reason, Indian food goes /really/ well with Italian food. Something about the spices ...

Anyway.

Get a bunch (1/2 lb - 1 lb~ish) of kale, and chop it up roughly (including stems; just separate the stems and cook them first). In a large skillet, throw in some olive oil, crushed cumin seed, crushed coriander seed, and crushed fennel seed. Let the spices toast until they smell amazing. Throw in about 3 - 7 cloves of chopped or sliced (it's a personal preference; I prefer sliced) garlic. Cook the garlic for less than 30 seconds. You just want to take off that raw edge from the garlic. Add the kale stems, and sautee over high heat until they're tender. Add the kale leaves, a few handfuls at a time (they'll cook down to allow more kale into the pan), and stir continuously until all your kale is in the pan. Add salt and red pepper flakes. Finish with a bit of lemon juice.

Barring that, do the roasted broccoli thing. Just toss broccoli florets in some neutral cooking oil, and throw them into a 350 oven on a baking sheet for like 15 - 20 minutes. Season with salt, black pepper, and a clove of minced garlic, and toss through.

Or, if you're not a huge fan of broccoli, there's always the option of grilled eggplant. The weather's nice enough to do it on the grill. Make a quick marinade of oil, mustard, some vinegar, cayenne pepper, garlic, thyme, oregano, and some salt, and dip the eggplant slices into the marinade before slapping onto the grill. Or, if you don't have a grill, lightly oil and rub the eggplant slices with a mix of cayenne powder, garlic powder, cinnamon, clove, allspice, turmeric, cardamom, paprika, cumin, coriander, and salt, and bake at 400 for 12 minutes. Remove from the oven, flip over, and bake the other side. I use parchment or my silicon baking mat when I do it this way, because I'm nervous about sticking.

Barring that, do a quick cauliflower. In a skillet, heat some neutral vegetable oil. Add 5 - 7 cloves of minced garlic, along with 1 TB of curry powder. Turn on the heat to high. As soon as the garlic sizzles, add the florets from 1 head of cauliflower, and toss the cauliflower in the spices and fat. Drop down the heat to medium. Sprinkle on some salt, and red pepper flakes, and let it cook until tender. Stir every couple of minutes to avoid burning.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I made the White Chicken Chili recipe off the wiki (which is amazing, by the way) but I overestimated the size of my slow cooker and have about a pound of soaked great northern beans I need to use. Any quick ideas?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

C-Euro posted:

I made the White Chicken Chili recipe off the wiki (which is amazing, by the way) but I overestimated the size of my slow cooker and have about a pound of soaked great northern beans I need to use. Any quick ideas?

DAAAAAAL! For the american version, sautee off garlic and onion, throw in some curry powder, and let the veg get soft. Add 1 tin of chopped tomato (about 2 cups), and cook until the tomatoes are hot. Cook the beans separately. When done cooking, combine the two.

Either that, or do a proper daal. For a South Indian one, heat about 1 TB of vegetable oil (not olive oil, you need the oil to get very hot) in a pot. Add 1/2 tsp of mustard seed. Let them crackle and pop. Add 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds. Let them pop. Add 3 - 5 TB of chopped (not grated) ginger. You can chop the ginger big or small, as to your preference. Add 1/3 tsp turmeric powder. Sautee with the ginger until the oil is yellow. Add the beans, add enough water to come up to twice the height of the beans, and let the water come to a boil. Let the beans boil at full heat for 10 minutes. Drop down the heat to a gentle simmer, and let it simmer for 25 - 40 minutes, depending on how long the beans take to get tender.

If you want a more North Indian daal, boil the beans in a pot, and get a separate pot with the spices and such. In a small~ish pot, heat 3 TB of vegetable (not olive) oil. Add 1/2 tsp fennel seed, 1 tsp crushed coriander seed, 1 tsp cumin seed, 3 cloves, 1 stick of cinnamon, 2 cardamom pods (lightly crushed), and swirl in the hot fat. The cumin and fennel will get hot and pop lightly. This is good. Add 1 large Spanish onion (diced), and stir into the spices. When the onions are half cooked, add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 5 cloves of minced garlic, and 3 TB minced or grated ginger. Stir well to combine. Add 2 cups of diced tomato, and stir well.

Optionally, add 1/2 cup of white wine. If you don't like or have wine, apple juice or water will do. Let the tomatoes boil rapidly until they break down. If the tomatoes don't break down, you bought a lovely brand that has calcium chloride in, and they'll never break down. loving Americans and their obsession with perfect looking food. :( If this is the case, just take an immersion blender to it, and it'll break down. Optionally, thicken the mix with a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste, although this is not necessary.

When the beans are tender, stir through the tomato mix, and garnish with chopped cilantro.

Barring that, make a white bean hummus. It's extremely delicious.

Aradekasta
May 20, 2007
Does anyone have any favorite baked good recipes that use quinoa flour? Doesn't need to be gluten free; I just love the subtle nutty flavor of quinoa. Is toasting the flour first, as suggested in this recipe, really necessary? The flour's a little expensive, so I'm trying to keep as much error as possible out of the trial-and-error process.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
Does anyone have a clear understanding of the physics and chemistry involved in overcooking food? basically I know that food cooked at high temperatures becomes carcinogenic, hard to digest, and a ton of other undesireable things. But what about food cooked for a long time at lower temperatures?

Basically the situation is this: My roommate wants to make a never-empty constantly evolving stew, by leaving a crock pot on low, basically 24/7. Eat a couple bowls, toss in some old vegetables or "should eat it soon" meat, constantly evolving flavor, etc.

It sounded great to me until I started thinking about the health angle. If maybe some lost vitamins are all that happens, that's fine with me. But carcinogens, liver/immune system damage, not so much.

Will I die from infinite stew?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

dino. posted:

South India

Today we had an event for some of my ex's college alums.. we did a big pot of sona masoori, papads, coconut white stew thing (I dont know the name), cilantro and tomato chutneys, eggplant theeyal, and some sambar with okra. Good stuff, everyone loved it. Oh and green bean thoran.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Locus posted:

infinite stew
I'm not sure about the health concerns, but if you do this, you should make a blog or something with a daily-ish stew reports.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Locus posted:

I don't know about that, but you'd have to stir and clean off scum a lot... the first two things that came to mind were sourdough starters and legendary ramen soups, so it's not a completely retarded idea.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Locus posted:

There are many other channels of spoilage other than bacterial. I would worry about the compounds created by grossly overcooked vegetable matter, stuff that gets washed into solution during cooking, bits that you can't fish out completely. Not to mention oil degradation and rancidity, etc. This is just a really bad idea. Why doesn't he/you just make a batch, eat it, then make another batch? The whole risking serious health consequences just because you don't want to wash a pot is pretty loving dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Turns out one of the other folks called veggie dish, so I'm got assigned dessert instead :(