Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Philip J Fry posted:

You may be okay if the previous owner(s) didn't start the thing up 27 times per day for 5 mile trips at a time. I think it's the collective number of heating and cooling cycles that really does these things in, coupled with an overheating incident somewhere along the way.

Took the stock(!) 297x u-joints out this weekend and swapped in some beefier Spicer 760x's. Probably a good thing since I'm about to hit the trails hard here soon and the old ones were missing about half of their needle bearings.

A quick small tack weld on the caps will keep them in place. If you ever need to replace a joint, 1 second with an angle grinder will take off the tack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Sad days, that $2600 '99 is gone from CL and the seller never got back to me. The hunt continues...

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

jonathan posted:

Do yourself a favour. Mud and grime will get inside the body panels. Quadratec has a brand that sells inner fenders that pop in specifically for the do it yourself flat fenders. It will hide all the exposed crevices.

Thanks, I'll definitely take a look. On another note, one of my rock rails threw itself on last night. The other didn't because it got cold and there was whiskey waiting for me inside :)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
So. The $1600 WJ.

"Runs hot when it sits. OK on freeway. We've pulled the thermostat so it runs cooler."

I'll bite, scrub PO for sure but it's a 4.0, they can run on pond water with sand in the crankcase, right?

I was dumb though, and did not _immediately replace the water pump.

Upper hose blew up yesterday on a short drive (first time that's ever happened to me!) and I got pissed off and said gently caress this, this thing is getting fixed now.

Let's pull the water pump.

Oh.

I guess where we're going we don't need impellers

Fortunately a good bit of the plastic was still right up in the water pump cavity, so I was able to fish most of it out. Some of it is assuredly lost to the 4.0's voracious appetite, but I think we'll be in better shape now. Tossed in a 195 thermostat as well, and she idles in the driveway for 20 minutes at a time right around 200 on the dash shitgauge with the A/C on full blast.

I feel a lot better now about letting the wife drive it, that's for fuckin' sure.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

After a month of test driving a few XJs and not finding any diamonds in the rough, I decided to let my dream of owning a good, solid XJ for a couple grand die (for now), until I can set aside more funds to buy one in proper condition.

Instead, my wife and I went out and traded her '07 Rabbit on a brand new Grand Cherokee. I know it's not quite the type of Jeep this thread was created for, but goddammit, I love it already.

Here it is next to my Audi:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DropShadow posted:

After a month of test driving a few XJs and not finding any diamonds in the rough, I decided to let my dream of owning a good, solid XJ for a couple grand die (for now), until I can set aside more funds to buy one in proper condition.

Instead, my wife and I went out and traded her '07 Rabbit on a brand new Grand Cherokee. I know it's not quite the type of Jeep this thread was created for, but goddammit, I love it already.

Here it is next to my Audi:

The last few years of grand Cherokee are very capable wheelers. The traction control essentially acts like locked diffs front and rear. I've seen the system in action and it was night n day better then my high flex open diff xj.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

I might really want to do this. I've been looking for places/ways to mount pioneer tools.

http://www.endroad.com/

cyberbully
Feb 10, 2003

Did you guys see a diesel Grand Cherokee is scheduled for 2013? Hope it turns out affordable anyway.

DarkestLite
Feb 27, 2007

"Can we fix it?"
"No, it's fucked."
Now that I saw the guy post his new Grand Cherokee, I feel a bit more confident in posting a picture of my first car!

I took a year off of school to work 80 hour weeks in order to get a car. I'm 23 and this was going to be my first car. My parents made a deal that they would only let me stay lIving at home rent-free and not go to school if I got a brand new car. Stupid, I know (Goons already told me how dumb this was in the car financial forum) but I didn't have much of a choice.

Nonetheless, in late December (28th) I was getting close to my goal for a down payment so my best friend and I decided to finally go test drive Jeeps. I went in wanting a wrangler, but, when I saw her get in the back seat, I could tell that this probably wasn't the best fit for my first car (seeing as I've been mooching rides from friends since 13, I figured I'll get something that is comfortable for at least four. I really wanted a Grand Cherokee, but I knew it was out of my price range.

And then I saw her. A 2011 Jeep Compass. Fully loaded (Leather heated seats, Navigation, premium sound system with a "tailgating" feature [Which is awesome because I go to a lot of SF Giants games] and 4x4) and after test driving, I fell in love. I wouldnt have the funds to get it until February. The cost was listed at 32.5 and they were asking 27.5 as a Christmas sale they "forgot" to erase.

I ended up taking the car home that day for 24.5 out the door.

I love this thing to death. I know (and have heard) that its not a "real" Jeep, but, I have to ask, though, is a 4x4 Compass capable of much? I don't mean hard core offloading or anything, but, maybe the easiest trails, drive on beaches, Tahoe in the snow, etc. I'd just like to play around and learn my car.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

jonathan posted:

The last few years of grand Cherokee are very capable wheelers. The traction control essentially acts like locked diffs front and rear. I've seen the system in action and it was night n day better then my high flex open diff xj.

This will be my wife's daily driver, and it'll be much more Chelsea Tractor than off-roader. It's a Laredo X package and, though we didn't specifically want them, it has 20" wheels. She wanted the new "Maximum Steel" color, and the only two on their lot were equipped this way. I would have preferred the 18s, but she got what she wanted, so we're both happy.

In low light "Maximum Steel" is dark gray or almost black, but in full light it is very blue-grey. I really like it. I got up early this morning so I could take it out for a few errands. It's definitely a very different driving dynamic than my way-too-low Audi.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

jonathan posted:

The traction control on the entry models ain't shabby, but the real magic is in the electronic LSDs. Completely automatic with full lock? Yes please.

DarkestLite posted:

I love this thing to death. I know (and have heard) that its not a "real" Jeep, but, I have to ask, though, is a 4x4 Compass capable of much? I don't mean hard core offloading or anything, but, maybe the easiest trails, drive on beaches, Tahoe in the snow, etc. I'd just like to play around and learn my car.

You're still not going to fling it around boulder hopping, but the Compass's main problem was that Daimler was so obsessed with its imaginary rally car segment that they wouldn't let it compete with the Patriot.

The current model is a much less stupid vehicle. It has even more ground clearance than the first-gen (which itself had better clearance all around than the Patriot), a much better interior, improved versions of the technologies they introduced with the Compass/Patriot, and lets you have Freedom Drive II (4WD with a low range).

The CVT makes a lot of people uncomfortable, but having driven a friend's and seen Jeep's test drivers hoon around on the local trails, they'll get where many people want to go. Beaches, snow, logging roads, washboards, easy trails... Shouldn't be a problem. You may have to kick it a little due to the smaller engine, but it's not like it sees dirt and just quits working.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cyberbully posted:

Did you guys see a diesel Grand Cherokee is scheduled for 2013? Hope it turns out affordable anyway.

They're offered everywhere but America. There are lots in Canada. Not sure about the newest generation. I think they used a 3.0L.

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

DarkestLite posted:

It'll be fine for fire roads, most beaches, and snow/ic. Just don't get over confident with it and you'll be ok.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I organized my tools a little today and did a layout on the driveway.

:v:

While I was working on a quick inventory, a guy showed up who had seen my ad for my hard doors on craigslist in a killer super clean CJ8 Scrambler with the half cab hard top. :swoon:

He said the doors weren't exactly was he was looking for. I think I drooled on myself a little.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

jonathan posted:

They're offered everywhere but America. There are lots in Canada. Not sure about the newest generation. I think they used a 3.0L.

Correct, a 3.0L V6 diesel with ~240HP and ~450ft/lb torques. It's the same engine found on several Mercedes (320 CDI) and it's just amazing, completely putting aside any negative aspects about diesel (loud, smoke, jumpy, no power at high RPM).

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Isn't the new grand cherokee based off the ML platform?

Hell the new Pentastar engine is a really nice engine. Its no 4.0, but its definitely acceptable.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Isn't the new grand cherokee based off the ML platform?

Hell the new Pentastar engine is a really nice engine. Its no 4.0, but its definitely acceptable.

I think it's somewhat "inspired" by the ML, but Chrysler parted from Daimler (Benz) in 2007, so I guess it's carried over from earlier designs.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Steiler Drep posted:

I think it's somewhat "inspired" by the ML, but Chrysler parted from Daimler (Benz) in 2007, so I guess it's carried over from earlier designs.

Actually it pretty much is the same ML platform underneath, but obviously the design both outside and inside have some notable differences. The ML, Durango and GC were pretty much all initially designed when Diamler was still running things so given the long design lifecycle, it was unavoidable to have a model carry over with some Daimler designed underpinnings.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Well, for having the full independent suspension, and the new off road settings in the overland model... it has really encroached on the Range Rover at a fraction of the price.

I just spec'ed out a Grand Cherokee with all the bells and whistles, Overland Summit. Price is around 51,000

A similar Range Rover is 80,000

Both have the adjustable suspensions and the locking center dif's .... Not a bad deal really. I am curious how capable the Jeep is compared to the RR.

I eats my spinach
Jan 16, 2005

'sup gordon
So this is the third Comanche that's shown up in my town of ~1400 people, is it destiny :(

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/2985355722.html

I eats my spinach fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 29, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
My god that is a clean truck. All it seems to need is a set of rear fender flares...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You appear to have mistyped "This is what I went and bought today".

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that
I picked this '06 Wrangler up yesterday:

I've always wanted a Jeep and this one had ~29,000 miles on it. I posted a whole bunch of photos here.

What I've found so far that isn't stock is the exhaust, some kind of lift, tires and air filter. I'm not sure about the quality of all these things though. I come from the Corvette world so while I'm used to working on cars, I've never had a Jeep before. This one seems like it's a lot easier to get under to work on though.

There were these 2 bars included with it. What are they?

I'd like to try and find a set of wheels/tires that I can put on for the road and keep the other set for when we go camping/kayaking. Anyone have any suggestions? Also, any ideas of things I should check since I just got it?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Well, for having the full independent suspension, and the new off road settings in the overland model... it has really encroached on the Range Rover at a fraction of the price.

I just spec'ed out a Grand Cherokee with all the bells and whistles, Overland Summit. Price is around 51,000

A similar Range Rover is 80,000

Both have the adjustable suspensions and the locking center dif's .... Not a bad deal really. I am curious how capable the Jeep is compared to the RR.

The capability of a vehicle is often determined by its tires. Put a 32" offroad tire on both vehicles, lower the pressure down to 15psi, and have a good driver, and I am sure both vehicles would do very well on any obstacle save for deep snow, deep sand, deep mud or cross ditches requiring high breakover clearance.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

dangerz posted:

I picked this '06 Wrangler up yesterday:

I've always wanted a Jeep and this one had ~29,000 miles on it. I posted a whole bunch of photos here.

What I've found so far that isn't stock is the exhaust, some kind of lift, tires and air filter. I'm not sure about the quality of all these things though. I come from the Corvette world so while I'm used to working on cars, I've never had a Jeep before. This one seems like it's a lot easier to get under to work on though.

There were these 2 bars included with it. What are they?

I'd like to try and find a set of wheels/tires that I can put on for the road and keep the other set for when we go camping/kayaking. Anyone have any suggestions? Also, any ideas of things I should check since I just got it?

Get underneath and take a photo of the trailing arms (the 4 control arms) for the front axle relative to the ground at an angle that allows us to see how parallel they are to the ground. Looks like a basic cheap lift but that isn't bad, you don't need many components for a small lift.

How is the steering and road manners on the highway with ruts and things ? Any shakes or wandering ? It will wander some with the wide tires.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

jonathan posted:

Get underneath and take a photo of the trailing arms (the 4 control arms) for the front axle relative to the ground at an angle that allows us to see how parallel they are to the ground. Looks like a basic cheap lift but that isn't bad, you don't need many components for a small lift.

How is the steering and road manners on the highway with ruts and things ? Any shakes or wandering ? It will wander some with the wide tires.
On the road it's not that friendly. I'm used to the tight suspension from my previous car, but this thing grabs ruts and throws itself into them. I thought that if I could find some more 'street' tires for my daily driving and leave these current tires for when we go offroad, that might help.

I'll get pictures of the control arms this afternoon.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

jonathan posted:

The capability of a vehicle is often determined by its tires. Put a 32" offroad tire on both vehicles, lower the pressure down to 15psi, and have a good driver, and I am sure both vehicles would do very well on any obstacle save for deep snow, deep sand, deep mud or cross ditches requiring high breakover clearance.

I think for "out of the box" these are both almost equals in terms of capability, luxury and build quality.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Professor Awesome posted:

So this is the third Comanche that's shown up in my town of ~1400 people, is it destiny :(

What's keeping you from buying it?

I eats my spinach
Jan 16, 2005

'sup gordon

Rhyno posted:

What's keeping you from buying it?

We're looking for another Jeep with the goal of using as many parts off our (barely) totaled 2001 XJ as possible:

Doing a massive rework and dropping the TUPY 4.0L into an MJ, along with the late-model interior, would be rad but that one is so clean I'd feel guilty ripping it all out. Basically, what we really need is something with a solid body but a dead drivetrain and an interior nobody would miss. As much as I'd love to go haggle for it right now (my wife also really likes the idea of having an MJ alongside our XJ) it doesn't solve the problem of what to do with the salvaged vehicle.

I guess I could always keep and resell the removed components but we're working out of my father-in-laws 2nd garage bay while he keeps his work van parked outside. I don't feel like abusing his charity by making him store a truck interior and engine + transmission for who knows how long :(

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

dangerz posted:

On the road it's not that friendly. I'm used to the tight suspension from my previous car, but this thing grabs ruts and throws itself into them. I thought that if I could find some more 'street' tires for my daily driving and leave these current tires for when we go offroad, that might help.

I'll get pictures of the control arms this afternoon.

There's not much you can do (cheaply!) to make your TJ less of a wanderer. It's not the tires, the suspension and lift are to blame for the drifty steering. The only adjustment possible on factory TJ front axles is toe-in. So when you do a cheap puck-on-spring lift, you reduce the caster angle on the front tires. This reduces the return-to-center action and makes it easier for ruts in the road to pull the tires out of a straight heading.

You can go back to the stock sized tires and remove the lift, get used to driving a wandering beast, or go wild and replace the upper control arms in the front with adjustable versions. If you go with the third option, be careful not to point the pinion too far from the transfer case; if you're really set on correcting this, then you can get the steering knuckles cut off and rotated then reattached.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

We're looking for another Jeep with the goal of using as many parts off our (barely) totaled 2001 XJ as possible:

Doing a massive rework and dropping the TUPY 4.0L into an MJ, along with the late-model interior, would be rad but that one is so clean I'd feel guilty ripping it all out. Basically, what we really need is something with a solid body but a dead drivetrain and an interior nobody would miss. As much as I'd love to go haggle for it right now (my wife also really likes the idea of having an MJ alongside our XJ) it doesn't solve the problem of what to do with the salvaged vehicle.

I guess I could always keep and resell the removed components but we're working out of my father-in-laws 2nd garage bay while he keeps his work van parked outside. I don't feel like abusing his charity by making him store a truck interior and engine + transmission for who knows how long :(

Well that is understandable. If I were closer I'd go make an offer and snipe it out from under you!

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

It's a 1999 Cherokee. I picked it up Friday. I'm loving it so far. Door locks are a little sketchy and the driver's seat has some wear. I am the second owner and loving it.

Edit: Fixed Images.

th vwls hv scpd fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 30, 2012

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

EightBit posted:

There's not much you can do (cheaply!) to make your TJ less of a wanderer. It's not the tires, the suspension and lift are to blame for the drifty steering. The only adjustment possible on factory TJ front axles is toe-in. So when you do a cheap puck-on-spring lift, you reduce the caster angle on the front tires. This reduces the return-to-center action and makes it easier for ruts in the road to pull the tires out of a straight heading.

You can go back to the stock sized tires and remove the lift, get used to driving a wandering beast, or go wild and replace the upper control arms in the front with adjustable versions. If you go with the third option, be careful not to point the pinion too far from the transfer case; if you're really set on correcting this, then you can get the steering knuckles cut off and rotated then reattached.
We drove around town running errands today and I was already getting used to it, so I think I'll give it more time before I make a decision.

Any idea what these things are?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

dangerz posted:

We drove around town running errands today and I was already getting used to it, so I think I'll give it more time before I make a decision.

Any idea what these things are?

The top piece looks like a soft-top header for a Rampage frameless top, and the bottom piece is the bottom bar for a soft-top rear window.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

thvwlshvscpd posted:

It's a 1999 Cherokee. I picked it up Friday. I'm loving it so far. Door locks are a little sketchy and the driver's seat has some wear. I am the second owner and loving it.
You'd be better off with imgur if you want to show it to us.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It looks like my Rustys rear MJ leafs had lovely bushings in them, as expected... and they aren't the same size as standard ones, they use 1.5" and 2" OD bushings instead of 1.75" and 2.5". Oh well, time to buy 6" each of McMaster 8695K575 and 8695K595 (1.5" and 2" 95A durometer black polyurethane), 6 5/8" grade 8 bolts, and chop up / bore out some of the 1" x 0.375" DOM I got a while ago for center sleeves.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

InitialDave posted:

You'd be better off with imgur if you want to show it to us.

Thanks, I was trying to use Drive to show these off. Next time I will just use imgur.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Ugh. Going by your listing, I live about 10 minutes away from you (I'm in Wentzville). My wife and I are closing on a new house soon, so all my funds are tied up in that. This loving sucks. I want that truck.

edit - And yeah, you are right. Lots of Comanche's showing up on Craigslist in our area recently.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

That truck is clean as gently caress.

And I agree with the comanche sentiment. Two summers ago I was looking for one and craigslist was dry. Now I get 15+ a week on my google reader when I dont want them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I missed out on the perfect Comanche because I was $200 shy and the guy would not take a deposit. I still cry about it every night.