Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Tokiomi Tohsaka... is not a people person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good_Haro
Mar 14, 2009

Noted shitposter.
Yeah, this is about all I got out of the episode:

Mezmerize
Feb 24, 2012

SOLO MID OR I FEED

Good_Haro posted:

Yeah, this is about all I got out of the episode:

I dunno about you but this was the only thing I got outta this episode.

(well outside out of sexy-rear end-hell Gilgamesh teleporting.)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
:byewhore:

Good riddance.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Happy Kirei is...terrifying. :gonk:

hakkart
Jul 22, 2011

by exmarx

Neo_Crimson posted:

Happy Kirei is...terrifying. :gonk:

Happy Kirei Might be the single greatest part of this show. That or Archer Pwning Kirei's mind

Edit: No one saw me spoilerfail there.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Kind of wish we'd gotten a bit of a riff on All Evils of This World there, but overall I'm happy. Curious as to see how they'll handle the flashback episode next week.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Bakanogami posted:

Kind of wish we'd gotten a bit of a riff on All Evils of This World there, but overall I'm happy. Curious as to see how they'll handle the flashback episode next week.

All the Evils of the World can't happen until the timer runs out.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Anyone know the soundtrack name for the Saber vs Lancer fight from the previous episode?

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.
Saber on a motorcycle <3<3<3<3

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I was really confused by that preview, but I'm guessing it's going to be a flashback explaining what turned Kiritsugu into such a fanatic badass.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Sindai posted:

I was really confused by that preview, but I'm guessing it's going to be a flashback explaining what turned Kiritsugu into such a fanatic badass.

Most likely, to the novel readers so how long is this flashback going to be and how heartwarming is it going to be?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

heartwarming

Ahahahahahah!

hakkart
Jul 22, 2011

by exmarx

Most likely, to the novel readers so how long is this flashback going to be and how heartwarming is it going to be?

If it's a backstory flashback, it is going to be the most depressing thing ever. Of all time. Expect at least one of the following: Death, surprise sex, violence, negligence, or twins Welcome to the Nasuverse.

Edit, because I've edited every post I've ever made ever so why break the streak?: I have not read the novel, I'm just guessing based on every flashback in every Type-Moon VN.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Sindai posted:

I just kinda wanna see the ways Kiritsugu parallels Shirou/Archer going from idealist to pessimistic monster.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I'm conflicted, because I do want to see the heart-wrench of Kiritsugu's backstory, but I also want to push past it because the stuff that comes up now that Saber's on her motorcycle is BOSS AS HELL

Also, I find it somewhat ironic that in the end it was Tokiomi's judgment that Irisveil and Saber were the lesser threat that was his downfall. Considering his daughter's obsession with the Saber class led to her life being saved more than a few times in the various routes of Stay Night, the idea that Tokiomi's feeling that Saber was nothing special next to Rider even after seeing Excalibur was the proverbial domino that finally pushed Kotomine into killing him amuses me.

Fate/Zero: Like Genesis if the Snake was made into pants

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011

Bambi-levels.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
So this exist:

This episode was pretty good. Kotomine and Gil are the best characters so it was cool to get an entire episode with them, even though it's going to get overshadowed by next week's. The next episode is going to loving own, guys. Even more than Berserker possessing an F-15. The only episode that will be able to top it will be the very last one.

Keepin' it real.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Knew as soon as young Rin showed up all happy and Tokiomi gave her that book that his death flag was going to be triggered. Almost funny how anticlimactic the whole thing was, though everyone knew it was coming and the buildup to it was intense. Especially with the Tokiomi presenting Kirei with the Azoth Dagger (irony of ironies, it's later the same weapon used to kill him by Shirou in Fate and I believe Rin uses it in HF) and the will telling him to be Rin's guardian and instructor in magic... His expression when Kirei stabs him with the Azoth Dagger is priceless, with his eyes bugging out of his head like that... Tokiomi really isn't all that good with reading people at all is what I'm seeing...

Saber on a motorcycle was cool. Gotta put that Riding Skill B to use, I guess. Also, the whole thing with Iri and Maiya was interesting, exposition wise. I already knew Iri's backstory as the vessel for the Grail, but I guess it would be new for people who aren't knowledgeable about the whole Nasuverse backstory stuff.

Gil really is a jerk, playing both sides, but I guess his personality fits Kirei more than Tokiomi. Him and Kirei plotting and trolling Tokiomi was done perfectly. The Kirei/Gilgamesh partnership that we see so much of in F/stay Night is born right here. Also, apparently Gil likes to teleport everywhere in that Church basement instead of walking? Guess he's just lazy when he's not enjoying himself. Also, with all those Command Seals that he picked up from his dad, Kirei should be a force to be reckoned with down the line, as he was in Fate/stay Night.

Next episode preview threw me a bit with the nice island scenery, I thought at first that it was another NICE BOAT thing. But once I heard the dialogue and saw the episode title, I'm guessing we get some Kiritsugu backstory next? I already know the outline of it, but seeing as how "heartwarming" the last couple of episodes have been ever since we got back from the season break, I can only imagine how good this next episode will be. Urobuchi hasn't disappointed me yet with the heartwarming stuff, and I'm not expecting him to do so now with the next episode and the rest of the season. I can only imagine how far deep it goes, though I have a general idea through spoilers...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 30, 2012

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So...uhhhh. What happened to the command seals that re-appeared on Kirei's hand 6 episodes ago? Were they just added to the massive tree of them he gained from his father?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

So...uhhhh. What happened to the command seals that re-appeared on Kirei's hand 6 episodes ago? Were they just added to the massive tree of them he gained from his father?

That is exactly the case.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Rodyle posted:

That is exactly the case.

Dude is gonna end up looking like the Enigma only with command seals.

In other news: dawww :3:

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

There is no other franchise with cuter fanart than Fate.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Rider would make a great Totoro.

That plan blew up spectacularly in Tokiomi's face. And it took him the best part of 17 episodes to do it, but Gilgamesh finally convinced Kotomine to off his Master. That seemed to be what the episode was pretty much building up to from quite early on.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

What strikes me about this series is how little heart it has. Episodes manage to be exciting and well animated, with a lot of cool stuff going on, but not once do I actually care about any of the characters. Alexander is probably the only one with a bit of warmth to him. None of the characters actually seem like real humans.

It's the kind of anime I'll watch and enjoy while it's airing, but after it finishes I'll probably forget all about it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I'll admit that Kotomine's characterization is told rather than shown, but otherwise I don't see the issue with the characters. Saber's argument with Kiritsugu after he kills Team Lancer is a pretty emotionally powerful scene; normally I'm firmly in the "honor is a stupid concept" camp, but somehow I felt really angry at Kiritsugu there.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Ccs posted:

None of the characters actually seem like real humans.

That's a tough sell. It does hurt that this is a prequel series, some of these characters get their development in Fate/Stay Night and Fate/Zero is simply filling in the blanks of their backstory. It would be inexplicable, for instance, how much screentime Tohsaka Rin gets if you didn't know she was a major heroine in Fate/Stay. Still, they do a good job of making characters who are flawed but likable.

About the episode:

I can't believe how nightmarish Kirei looked when he finally smiled. That is the face of a man who could do literally anything. It's amazing how demonic they managed to make a man appear.

Would it spoil me to ask how he managed to end up with a single Command Spell in Fate/Stay despite just inheriting a billion of them from his dad?

quote:

Keepin' it real.

"Don't worry, my master. I will teach your daughter ALL ABOUT how to look good in front of boys."

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 30, 2012

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Vengarr posted:

Would it spoil me to ask how he managed to end up with a single Command Spell in Fate/Stay despite just inheriting a billion of them from his dad?
Huh? He only ends up with one in Heaven's feel, after he uses up all his other ones in an effort to remove Zouken's worms from Sakura.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Factor_VIII posted:

Huh? He only ends up with one in Heaven's feel, after he uses up all his other ones in an effort to remove Zouken's worms from Sakura.

That's his magic crest that gets used up. He has to expend it in order to heal people. At one point while fighting True Assassin he takes stock of his inventory and on his mental checklist, mentions he has one command spell, "unused since the last war".

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm glad Zero is focusing a lot on Irisviel, a completely new character. I think her plight is pretty drat sympathetic and unlike some of the other characters (Kirei for example) there's no need to fill in any blanks from FSN.

I mostly blame Saber for the relative un-humaness of the cast, who throughout all things Fate-related has firmly held to her crown of Most Boring Main Character.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So in the end, the only way to turn Kotomine was the power of flirtation.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Vengarr posted:

That's his magic crest that gets used up. He has to expend it in order to heal people. At one point while fighting True Assassin he takes stock of his inventory and on his mental checklist, mentions he has one command spell, "unused since the last war".
Kotomine is flat-out lying to Shirou and Rin in that scene. His father wasn't a magus and thus didn't have a magic crest to bequeath his son. What Kotomine inherited from his father was the Command Seals. I also like the fact he lied to them about using up all of his "crest" on Sakura when he in fact kept one just in case.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

I just watched the Unlimited Blade Works movie for the first time. I had a morbid desire to check out the actual series, but that's gone now, thankfully. I knew putting a 15-hour story into a 90-minute movie meant there would be some cuts, but basically everything that made UBW great was removed from the movie. There was absolutely no breathing room, it just went from one action scene to the next. The second the scene where they first face caster at Ryuudouji Temple ends, they immediately cut to Caster holding Taiga hostage at the Emiya house. It's just jarring. Honestly, the only moments that I sincerely enjoyed were when they actually slowed down and had the characters talk instead of rushing to the next action beat. Not even the action scenes were that enjoyable, which is really odd since UBW has the best fight scenes in the VN. I still loved the ending though, even DEEN couldn't ruin that for me. If the entire movie was actually good I might of teared up at it. Like I did during the VN.

There was a lot of unintentional comedy, which I appreciated. Kotomine's "Meanwhile, in another dimension..." interludes were good, but nothing can beat the Mana Dolphin scene. Nothing.

Vengarr posted:

"Don't worry, my master. I will teach your daughter ALL ABOUT how to look good in front of boys."

It's... It's beautiful.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Vengarr posted:

Dear God that's horrifyingly apropos.

Ccs posted:

What strikes me about this series is how little heart it has. Episodes manage to be exciting and well animated, with a lot of cool stuff going on, but not once do I actually care about any of the characters. Alexander is probably the only one with a bit of warmth to him. None of the characters actually seem like real humans.

It's the kind of anime I'll watch and enjoy while it's airing, but after it finishes I'll probably forget all about it.

That's a part of Urobuchi's style; he's not too good at actually writing endearing, warm characters because he's too busy being heartwarming. Another thing is Fate is predicated on the Grail War being inhuman and disgusting because Mages are insane backwards nobility with superpowers. Waver's character (and Rin's, in F/SN) are based on how dumb and hosed up being an actual Magus is.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Factor_VIII posted:

Kotomine is flat-out lying to Shirou and Rin in that scene. His father wasn't a magus and thus didn't have a magic crest to bequeath his son. What Kotomine inherited from his father was the Command Seals. I also like the fact he lied to them about using up all of his "crest" on Sakura when he in fact kept one just in case.

It's less that he's lying and more that the moderator's command spell array effectively is his magic crest. They're supposed to be concentrated bits of magical energy capable of doing things normally reserved for ancient magic or sorcery (teleportation, for instance), as well as binding immensely powerful beings. The theory is that someone with a knack for it like Kirei can take them apart and use them for other stuff, in the case of Heaven's Feel Sakura's surgery. That's why he describes his crest as the sort that gets used up with use, which completely goes against the concept of normal magic crests that grow over generations.

Also, he has used up some of his spells. At the very least he used one on Assassin to force him to assault the Rider/Saber/Gilgamesh meeting with all their numbers. I think the anime might have skipped this, which is a bit of an oversight. I don't remember if he used a second one there or if he uses another later, which would clear up the "one command spell from the last war".

EDIT:Come to think of it, did he successfully acquire Bazett's Command spells when he attacked her? Because if not he would have needed to use his second when he ordered Lancer to gather intel at the start of the 5th war, leaving him with one.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Bakanogami posted:

EDIT:Come to think of it, did he successfully acquire Bazett's Command spells when he attacked her? Because if not he would have needed to use his second when he ordered Lancer to gather intel at the start of the 5th war, leaving him with one.
I guess you could argue that the command seals he carries are roughly similar to a magic crest since it can be used to perform magic and he inherited it, but I'd say that in reality they are quite different for the reasons you listed and since they don't encode a wizard family's magic.

In the Fate/Zero novels it's stated that anyone can use a command seal to perform other kinds of magic; it's just that commanding a Servant is the best use of them so nobody but Kirei uses them for anything else. And Kirei does use multiple seals but don't forget that he also acquired his father's Command Seals in the 4th grail war so they do count. What he does in UBW is irrelevant since HF is the only route where's he's left with just one seal.

And he did take Bazett's command seals as well by chopping off her arm and then using psychic surgery to add them to his own hand, similarly to what he he did to Shirou in the first FSN bad end.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
It amuses me to no end that neither F/SN nor F/Z make any effort to hide the fact that Kirei is evil. Literally his first appearance in the F/SN visual novel is him being imposing and creepy to Shirou with EEEEEVIL organ music in the background and yet no one catches on that maybe he's not one of the good guys until the very end of Fate.

Fortunately everyone's a little quicker on the uptake in UBW, and in HF Kirei isn't even really the villain so no one really gives enough of a drat until literally the second-to-last scene of the route.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

I like how inscrutable Kirei is during FS/N. He kind of bounces back and forth between being a smug jackass, to evil mastermind to a helping hand pretty often during the 3 routes. Even after Fate when you know he's evil he still keeps you guessing when he saves Sakura for no apparent reason and offers to go rescue Ilya.

Even when he's sitting down enjoying a bowl of Mapo Tofu like a regular guy you're still wondering what he's really plotting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

I mostly blame Saber for the relative un-humaness of the cast, who throughout all things Fate-related has firmly held to her crown of Most Boring Main Character.

The holder of that title is and always will be Sakura, backed up by her equally boring and terrible friend Rider.

Zahki posted:

I like how inscrutable Kirei is during FS/N. He kind of bounces back and forth between being a smug jackass, to evil mastermind to a helping hand pretty often during the 3 routes. Even after Fate when you know he's evil he still keeps you guessing when he saves Sakura for no apparent reason and offers to go rescue Ilya.

Even when he's sitting down enjoying a bowl of Mapo Tofu like a regular guy you're still wondering what he's really plotting.

I remember the first time I got to the fistfight in HF. It was like saying goodbye to an old friend at last. So long you insane motherfucker, you made this ride worth it.

• Locked thread