Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Somedays I love my job. I was writing a piece on a local gun club, so I went to the grocery store and bought som lettuce, a 5 lb bag of flour, and a couple gallons of water (please don't repost the starving kid, thanks). My wife took pictures as I broke in my new shotgun by exploding a couple heads of lettuce trap-style at the club. That was fun.

Fun fact: the club was started after WWII by vets. They built their clubhouse at the dump. There, they would dust clays and go on rat hunts :catstare: .

Writing at the office on a Saturday isn't nearly as fun though. Yay procrastination!

edit: rat hunt snype

Eat This Glob fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Halalelujah posted:

Soooo, what is everyone doing this weekend?

My roommate got the notice that he was accepted to UC Berkeley yesterday, so we all had a cocktail or six. I think I'm mostly gonna spend my weekend recovering.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Suckling pig is a thing.

a delicious thing.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I'm finally going to implement my plan for world domination. I'll let you all know how it goes. I've decided to spare most of you, with one or two exceptions.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.

bunnielab posted:

God damm Charlotte has some disappointing grocery stores. I assume there is something better in the burbs but it seems kind of ridiculous to drive out of the city to find better stores.

In somewhat related news, my love of mustard-based bbq sauce has reached new heights. There is a new bbq place about to open by my office, i have very high hopes.

Mustard-based bbq is really freaking good.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

GrAviTy84 posted:

a delicious thing.
got one brining in my bathtub as we speak. Got coverage of my shifts and an oven in my neighbors yard.

Gonna be a hell of a birthday.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Delicious Sci Fi posted:

Mustard-based bbq is really freaking good.

Carolina BBQ is the best BBQ.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.

Eat This Glob posted:

Carolina BBQ is the best BBQ.

The ranking of bbq sauces by their base is

Vinegar
Mustard
Ketchup

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Delicious Sci Fi posted:

The ranking of bbq sauces by their base is

Vinegar
Mustard
Ketchup

As most mustard and most ketchup contains vinegar - you're really just writing:

Vinegar
Vinegar
Vinegar

?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Got a new Italian restaurant opened up next to my house yesterday, went over to check it out and made friends with the chef/owner. One of those guys that is very proud of his Italian heritage but is just a big shaved head sweaty american guy.
Haven't tried the food yet but he's got a very clean kitchen (second day of operations though, so no idea how long that will stick) and a decent looking neapolitan menu. I helped him get his projector running and once it was up a picture of the Florence duomo came up and he identified it as the Vatican. And further misidentified other things. Like the ponte vecchio, the cinque terra, and some statues and things. From the DVD he put together.
My big :stare: moment occured when he showed me, another customer, and the servers how to make HIS drink. Which was the orange flavored Lance Armstrong energy drink developed for cancer patients! with Stoli orange vodka half heartedly shaken and poured over rocks. In a glass rimmed in Tang.
I'm really not sure of his target demographic for the place, so many aspects go in different directions.
We'll see how this works out. I'm hoping he just sucks at coming up with drinks and can put together some decent pasta.
He did brag about using some fancy rice oil or something to fry in that is "so healthy if you eat a cheese stick fried in it, it actually lowers your cholesterol!" So...

The newest iteration of the hole in the wall pizza place across the street is pretty awesome though. The dude knows his poo poo, been making pizza for 40 years and came out of retirement to open the place. He is in the black within a month of opening, and is cheap as hell with good quality to boot.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

I like turtles posted:

photos...

How... how... how do you misidentify Il Duomo as the vatican if you've actually been there? (And honestly even if you haven't and know anything about italy)

Still, maybe he's an idiot that makes good pasta.

OmegaBeard
Sep 13, 2010
Spent the weekend quitting my teaching job and moving up to the mountains to settle in for canyoning training. Jumped in on a whitewater rafting tour and had a lovely 2km jog in the morning.

Jumping off waterfalls is set to begin shortly!

Hopefully part timing in the lodge kitchen will also begin shortly, and I may be able to steal oven time for bread.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them
Took my kid to aikido yesterday for the first time. Of course it happened to be the one day of the year the parents are expected to be on the mat with the children.

It was a bunch of moms and me and their children. My darling daughter pipes up "daddy was in wrestling and karate and tae kwon do".

I got to be the instructors throwing and smacking things into toy for the day.

Ouch, everything is sore today.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

In reply to the "industrial food supply is evil "statements that have been going on recently, I would like to inform you people of an interesting development.

As I am an industry insider, I get lots and lots of trade magazines and invitations to trade shows and other events. one such events is a food safety conference that's going on very soon. essentially everyone in the industry will attend this conference. I know I'm going!

Like many large tradeshows, there will be lectures presented. one such lecture is on the topic of sustainability. Who do you guess the lead speaker and presenter is for sustainability in the food industry?

Why, of course it's Smithfield foods!

The same company that has been cited by the EPA for destroying watersheds and poisoning large swaths of land. The same company that has had employees die from being too close to its poo poo lagoons.

Yep they're experts on sustainability, and will teach us all how to do it right!

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Toast posted:

How... how... how do you misidentify Il Duomo as the vatican if you've actually been there? (And honestly even if you haven't and know anything about italy)

Still, maybe he's an idiot that makes good pasta.

More specifically, how do you misidentify it as St Peter's Basilica?

This is his second restaurant, I believe the first went under. He spent nearly a year opening this place, it used to be a lovely Yokohama rice bowl and I'd say he has put at LEAST $100,000-$150,000 into renovating the place.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Roasting a whole drat pig. Pics to follow tomorrow if I sober up.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
Happy pigday!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Vegetable Melange posted:

Roasting a whole drat pig. Pics to follow tomorrow if I sober up.

awwww yeah

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.

NosmoKing posted:

The same company that has been cited by the EPA for destroying watersheds and poisoning large swaths of land. The same company that has had employees die from being too close to its poo poo lagoons.

Yep they're experts on sustainability, and will teach us all how to do it right!

Is Monsanto co-sponsoring?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Marked down lamb shoulder chops at Central Market, aww yeah.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Jenkin posted:

Is Monsanto co-sponsoring?

Monsanto is leading a lecture on seed saving and on non-GMO heirloom seeds.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Satan climbs the pulpit, it would seem

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

NosmoKing posted:

Took my kid to aikido yesterday for the first time. Of course it happened to be the one day of the year the parents are expected to be on the mat with the children.

It was a bunch of moms and me and their children. My darling daughter pipes up "daddy was in wrestling and karate and tae kwon do".

I got to be the instructors throwing and smacking things into toy for the day.

Ouch, everything is sore today.
And you were hoping for floor work with one of the moms?

True confession: the first time I ever put my arms around a girl was in judo, and I was trying to keep her from throwing me to the ground.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

The Macaroni posted:

True confession: the first time I ever put my arms around a girl was in judo, and I was trying to keep her from throwing me to the ground.

As long as every other encounter with a lady didn't end up like this, I'd say you turned out okay.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

The Macaroni posted:

Aikido doesn't have a lot of hugging. It's kind of a lot more like holding hands. Except I kept flying through the Frikin' air

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

NosmoKing posted:

Aikido doesn't have a lot of hugging. It's kind of a lot more like holding hands. Except I kept flying through the Frikin' air

I took Aikido for a couple months, and it was actually rather pretty to watch the people who knew what they were doing. Then I got in and felt like I was made of spaghetti with Parkinson's in comparison.

Also, it was humbling to see how fast I could go from being on my feet to being held against the ground with a limb halfway wrenched off like I was a GI Joe toy in the hands of that kid who liked frying ants.

And yet the real thing I remember from that class is that no matter how far you can huck somebody, if someone brings in a knife, it's time to seriously consider how much you value your life, and if they bring in a gun, you'd better hope you have your affairs sorted out.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

NosmoKing posted:

Monsanto is leading a lecture on seed saving and on non-GMO heirloom seeds.

I can't even tell what's sarcasm anymore.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Daeren posted:

Also, it was humbling to see how fast I could go from being on my feet to being held against the ground with a limb halfway wrenched off like I was a GI Joe toy in the hands of that kid who liked frying ants.
Yeah, that's what judo was like. Plus some choking.

One day, the Sensei said, "Hey Macaroni, you're just old enough to be out of youth competition. That means people are allowed to use the choke move on you. Here, I'll show you!" The world faded out and I woke up about 5 minutes later, staring at the ceiling. Good times.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

NosmoKing posted:

In reply to the "industrial food supply is evil "statements that have been going on recently, I would like to inform you people of an interesting development.

As I am an industry insider, I get lots and lots of trade magazines and invitations to trade shows and other events. one such events is a food safety conference that's going on very soon. essentially everyone in the industry will attend this conference. I know I'm going!

Like many large tradeshows, there will be lectures presented. one such lecture is on the topic of sustainability. Who do you guess the lead speaker and presenter is for sustainability in the food industry?

Why, of course it's Smithfield foods!

This industry tradeshow was curated by The Onion.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

The Macaroni posted:

Yeah, that's what judo was like. Plus some choking.

Heheh, I took a martial arts class from the Perez brothers. Julian, the older one, was tall and handsome and had a rogueish scar down one cheek. Hector was a little fireplug of a man who was a weightlifter and definitely a match for Julian. The best memories I have in that class are when the two of them would square off and start sparring. Once you've got brothers going after each other, ahahah all bets are off.

Good times.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

One time my platoon was being instructed in detainment of suspects. The instructors were kinda brash and cocky and I got a fair amount of Thai massage-style pindowns as the doll of the day, which after a while started to tick off the guys since they thought they were being unnecessarily harsh with me, and they were, goddammit, they near hosed my neck up and drat if they didn't think it was good fun. Then at the end of the lecture mr. Full-of-himself #1 invited a volunteer into the sand pit for some live sparring to demonstrate. One of my soldiers quickly raised his hand, incidentally the same guy who'd been a national MMA/submission wrestling champ.

It was like watching a capybyra trying to put handcuffs on the Queen of the Anacondas. Shitheels sidekicks #2 and #3 jumped in on their own initiative when their boss got a handfull of sand flung into his eyes.

It took a good ten minutes before a draw was called. Good times.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

bartolimu posted:

Hey ISF? The chat thread generally has expanded boundaries for acceptable posting, and PXJ and I try not to do much in the way of moderation here. Most everyone seems happier with that arrangement most of the time.

In the spirit of that congeniality, I'm going to simply say publicly that your post was significantly over the line in both abject stupidity and condescension, and you should probably consider not making posts like that in GWS again. Ever.

Also, everything Happy Hat said.

The best part of this (other than anything that HH says in general) is that ISF has been trying to kill his family with bad SV for a couple years. But no one banned him at the time when he was reported for it.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Wroughtirony posted:

I can't even tell what's sarcasm anymore.

That's what I'm here for, to blur the line.

(Smithfield = real, Monsanto, eh, maybe next year)

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Dear E/N

After 11 years of no new issues, my son started complaining of headaches this weekend, had a CT scan at the local ER, they found a 'mass' in a completely different area of his brain than previous issues, and now he's on his way to a children's hospital for an MRI.

Here's hoping that it was just a bad scan/read by the local ER.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
gently caress dude. Hoping for the best.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Phummus posted:

Dear E/N

After 11 years of no new issues, my son started complaining of headaches this weekend, had a CT scan at the local ER, they found a 'mass' in a completely different area of his brain than previous issues, and now he's on his way to a children's hospital for an MRI.

gently caress. gently caress. Hope everything's ok. You must be making GBS threads yourself.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Phummus posted:

Stroking rabits feet and pressing thumbs for this!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

SYFY HYPHY posted:

The best part of this (other than anything that HH says in general) is that ISF has been trying to kill his family with bad SV for a couple years. But no one banned him at the time when he was reported for it.
A lot of people seem to think being Wrong On The Internet is worthy of probation/ban. That's really not the case. If you're Wrong often enough, they might even make you a mod.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

bartolimu posted:

If you're Wrong often enough, they might even make you a mod.

pi = 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Phummus, hope this turns out to be a bunch of nothing or human error. :(

bartolimu posted:

That's really not the case. If you're Wrong often enough, they might even make you a mod.
Hmph. You're still a mod, what does that say? Although I always was the most wrong.