Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

foodfight posted:

I'm talking about The Host.

Yea I've seen that, but I'd put that in the campy/cult group, if I remember it correctly.

e; added the quote 'cause of new page.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Ok, just wanted to make sure. The Host was ok. A fun Korean monster movie.

Don't let the cover of Timecrimes throw you.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

RizieN posted:

Yea I've seen that, but I'd put that in the campy/cult group, if I remember it correctly.

Yeah, its a totally campy cult flick.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

RizieN posted:

And I'm assuming he meant the Perfect Host as well, which I have not seen but sounds interesting. Between The Perfect Host and Timecrimes which would you choose?

Timecrimes for sure.

DHP is great in The Perfect Host but the other guy is the world's dumbest criminal.
Like dumb to the point that he should be supervised by a professional.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Man I heard so much about The Host but when I finally watched it I really didn't like it. I dunno, I thought it was a pretty straight forward and not very well done monster flick. On the other hand, I actually really liked Cloverfield. What's my problem?

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

foodfight posted:

Yeah, its a totally campy cult flick.

Not in the way of like... zombie strippers or that poo poo, but like I'd need to be in a different mood for it. The same kind of mood I'm in when I watch those other flicks. I think I'll try out Timecrimes tonight, but you guys have added a few movies to my list.

\/\/ I know thats why I was clarifying that it's not exactly similar to something like Devils Rejects or B-Horrors. Its a legitimate horror, but straight forward and not entirely what I'm in the mood for, I kind of want something a little more cerebral.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 28, 2012

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

RizieN posted:

Not in the way of like... zombie strippers or that poo poo, but like I'd need to be in a different mood for it. The same kind of mood I'm in when I watch those other flicks. I think I'll try out Timecrimes tonight, but you guys have added a few movies to my list.

I was being sarcastic. If you like Timecrimes check out Triangle.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

foodfight posted:

I was being sarcastic. If you like Timecrimes check out Triangle.

Timecrimes the Spanish movie?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

RizieN posted:

I'm trying to find a really good movie to chill out to tonight, and eat some loving popcorn (haven't had popcorn in forever).

But I want the perfect movie. Can anyone do a better "recommended based on your interest" than netflix for me? Using these movies: Clockwork Orange, 2001 a Space— all Kubrick films, The Fountain, Blade Runner, Alien, anything by Wes Anderson, Sofia Coppola, David Lynch, and Terry Gilliam. I guess I'll cut the list off there.

I'd be super grateful if someone knew of something on instant queue that falls in line with some of the above movies. Or even if it isn't similar but just a really good, well made, slightly deep movie that isn't your normal trash or only good because its corny/cheesy/bad.

I'm just gonna list a bunch of good movies from my Watch It Again netflix section:

Robocop
Spinaltap
13 Assassins
The Hunt for Red October
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
Momento (Check this one out for sure if you haven't seen it yet)
The Way of the Gun
Chinatown
Zulu
Brick
Rob Roy
Ran
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead (this one also rules)

Edit:
The Man from Nowhere
The Way Back

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 28, 2012

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Timecrimes the Spanish movie?

Yes

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

RizieN posted:

I'm trying to find a really good movie to chill out to tonight, and eat some loving popcorn (haven't had popcorn in forever).

But I want the perfect movie. Can anyone do a better "recommended based on your interest" than netflix for me? Using these movies: Clockwork Orange, 2001 a Space— all Kubrick films, The Fountain, Blade Runner, Alien, anything by Wes Anderson, Sofia Coppola, David Lynch, and Terry Gilliam. I guess I'll cut the list off there.

I'd be super grateful if someone knew of something on instant queue that falls in line with some of the above movies. Or even if it isn't similar but just a really good, well made, slightly deep movie that isn't your normal trash or only good because its corny/cheesy/bad.

How about some Terrence Malick? Either The Thin Red Line or Days of Heaven are on Netflix streaming now and both excellent. I just watched Days of Heaven recently and really enjoyed it--I couldn't believe it was made in 1978, it looked timeless and beautiful!

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Manky posted:

Man I heard so much about The Host but when I finally watched it I really didn't like it. I dunno, I thought it was a pretty straight forward and not very well done monster flick. On the other hand, I actually really liked Cloverfield. What's my problem?

Nothing, I'm the exact same way. The Host was kind of a weird and goofy movie.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

mod sassinator posted:

How about some Terrence Malick? Either The Thin Red Line or Days of Heaven are on Netflix streaming now and both excellent. I just watched Days of Heaven recently and really enjoyed it--I couldn't believe it was made in 1978, it looked timeless and beautiful!

Have you seen Deadhead Miles? It's kind of a rare movie, but is on netflix instant and Terrence Malick did write it.

I watched it one day when I was bored, and I've never really watched a trucker move, but I loved it. Watched it three or four times now.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I watched Rammbock and Little Shop of Horrors today and although I've seen shop before, it held up really well. Rammbock was an interesting character-driven movie. It could have lasted a little longer though and ended far too soon.

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.
It looks like we're getting a serious dump of new/returning movies on Tuesday.

Highlights:

Adaptation
The Addams Family
Hannibal
Gandhi
Snatch
High Anxiety
Finding Forrester
The Wiz
Mouse Hunt

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I'm still incredibly bummed Primer was taken off instant; I would recommend it every page were it still on.

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

Started my netflix trial, slowing burning through the movies. Of particular note, found out there is robocop in netflix, just finished them, its awesome!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
couple of us goons found that Death Race 2000 was on Instant after I had searched for it the other year with no luck. If you haven't seen it, Sly Stallone and pre-Asian David Carradine are in it. It's a fantastic piece of 70s camp cinema. Even though it's ahead of its time in many ways, you couldn't make a movie like it today

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072856/

"but Alan Smithee there was a rem-"
"nope"
"but it had Al Sw-"
"I don't know what you're talking about"
"Seriously in 2008 they made one starring Jaso"
"no, no they didn't"

Watch it

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Alan Smithee posted:

couple of us goons found that Death Race 2000 was on Instant after I had searched for it the other year with no luck. If you haven't seen it, Sly Stallone and pre-Asian David Carradine are in it. It's a fantastic piece of 70s camp cinema. Even though it's ahead of its time in many ways, you couldn't make a movie like it today

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072856/

"but Alan Smithee there was a rem-"
"nope"
"but it had Al Sw-"
"I don't know what you're talking about"
"Seriously in 2008 they made one starring Jaso"
"no, no they didn't"

Watch it

I watched this for the first time about a month ago and loved it, especially the lampooning of the media. The second half of the movie focused much more on the race, though, and I honestly found the Death Race itself to be less interesting than the details of the society that spawned it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

I watched this for the first time about a month ago and loved it, especially the lampooning of the media. The second half of the movie focused much more on the race, though, and I honestly found the Death Race itself to be less interesting than the details of the society that spawned it.

Yeah, funny that I agree considering I knocked The Hunger Games for the exact same reason, I'm trying to think of why I'm not a hypocrite. More self-awareness and takes itself less seriously I suppose?

I mean they never really explain why a society that would be the victims of Death Race would enjoy it, though clearly they are on to something, just can't quite put your finger on it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I was always confused why they never made a video game for the Death Race remake. The gameplay is all laid out in the movie. There's even powerups!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I was always confused why they never made a video game for the Death Race remake. The gameplay is all laid out in the movie. There's even powerups!

Carmageddon was directly inspired by the movie, if I remember correctly.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Watched Best Worst Movie yesterday. Liked it, but I still have no interest in ever watching Troll 2. Kudos to the filmmaker who was one of the main actors in the film but clearly realized that the guy who played the father is the most interesting person in this documentary.

Kind of conflicted about the director. On one hand, I really don't know how I would respond or behave if something both my wife and myself put in a lot of effort into becomes famous but only for people to laugh at how they think it's complete garbage. On the other, he sure did a great job making himself out to be the delusional and incompetent yet completely arrogant rear end in a top hat the actors accused him of being on set.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

kuddles posted:

Watched Best Worst Movie yesterday. Liked it, but I still have no interest in ever watching Troll 2. Kudos to the filmmaker who was one of the main actors in the film but clearly realized that the guy who played the father is the most interesting person in this documentary.

Kind of conflicted about the director. On one hand, I really don't know how I would respond or behave if something both my wife and myself put in a lot of effort into becomes famous but only for people to laugh at how they think it's complete garbage. On the other, he sure did a great job making himself out to be the delusional and incompetent yet completely arrogant rear end in a top hat the actors accused him of being on set.

I also watched this yesterday. It kinda bummed me out that the director was taking it so personally that people were laughing at his movie. Having seen Troll 2, I was surprised that they didn't show the scene that got the biggest laugh out of the group I watched it with: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyophYBP_w4

There were also some incredibly strange moments with a few of the cast members. One of the actors who played a villain in the movie talks about how he went crazy after the movie and wasn't "acting" in many of his scenes. The mother from the film also seemed really bizarre and clearly just wanted to be left alone.

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

"But I've been twelve for a very long time"

VaultAggie posted:

Has anyone seen The people vs George Lucas? I was cruising Netflix looking for a documentary and this one caught my eye. Is it a good look into the behind-the-scenes of star wars or just another boring documentary slamming Lucas?

I checked this out, but I was honestly really disappointed in it. It was basically a bunch of man-children comparing the Star Wars Special Editions/Prequels to holocaust deniers and rape.

There was an almost creepy lack of self-awareness for everyone featured in this. I'm a big nerd too and I'm sure it's a mutual agreement that the prequels are pretty bad, but for christ-sake, it's just a drat movie.

Just stick with the Red Letter Media reviews if you want a good and funny explanation of why the prequels are bad.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

FrostedButts posted:

The original G.I. Joe, Jem and Transformers series are all on streaming now. They're worth watching not because of nostalgia, but because how ridiculously awkward the animation was. Jem is probably the worst/best of the bunch just for how warped gravity and basic human actions turn into unintentional comedic gold.

Oh, sweet! ...but only the first season of Jem. :saddowns:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Watching Paranormal Entity and it's not bad! It's what you'd expect, a movie that's trying to be like the other one. But it's not a horrible film, has some genuinely spooky moments. Not a great film, but not unwatchable.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
If anyone is interested in a good korean action film War of the Arrows is out on instant streaming. Somewhat uneven film. Don't expect plot or character development or even semi realistic physics. You get to indulge your inner robin hood. Really enjoyed the main antagonist(relatively sure that this guy had more lines than the protagonist), strong character that I rooted for.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/War_of_the_Arrows/70225528

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I just watched Jackie Chan's Little Big Soldier and I think it was a fantastic movie. Imagine Jet Li's Hero but with the humor of Jackie Chan. Its a very well done and has a really sad ending.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

So I watched Dogtooth based on the recommendations in this thread and the big '"Hilarious" - Nicolas Rapold / New York Times' on the cover image is, shall we say...somewhat misleading :stare:

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I love single word quotes.

"It's truly hilarious how poorly the entire production was put together."

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Terrifying Effigies posted:

So I watched Dogtooth based on the recommendations in this thread and the big '"Hilarious" - Nicolas Rapold / New York Times' on the cover image is, shall we say...somewhat misleading :stare:

There's something to be said for Dogtooth as a comedy, but that's probably the last word I would use to describe that movie to somebody.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

TrixRabbi posted:

There's something to be said for Dogtooth as a comedy, but that's probably the last word I would use to describe that movie to somebody.

Netflix has had Trainspotting as a comedy for ages.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I watched Return to Sleepaway Camp last night, just for fun since it seems that the star wars documentary was a dud. It was a pretty generic slasher movie with some extremely predictable deaths but overall it was entertaining. Now to get my hands on a copy of the original...

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Party Plane Jones posted:

Or how my "Like: Cosmos" (The Carl Sagan series) includes tons of space documentaries... and Archer.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Party Plane Jones posted:

Yeah, but Trainspotting pretty much is a comedy so... what's the deal? A comedy doesn't automatically mean Zucker Brothers, Farrellys, Judd Apatow or whatever. It doesn't have to be wacky slapstick or parody. Trainspotting is intentionally humorous. It might be dark humor, and it isn't funny all the way through, but I'd still call it a comedy.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

VaultAggie posted:

I watched Return to Sleepaway Camp last night, just for fun since it seems that the star wars documentary was a dud. It was a pretty generic slasher movie with some extremely predictable deaths but overall it was entertaining. Now to get my hands on a copy of the original...

The original is probably my favorite slasher ever.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Just watched both OSS 117 movies and loved them based on this thread. Are there any other great foreign comedies on Netflix that are worth watching? Preferable subtitled instead of dubbed.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Chunky Delight posted:

Just watched both OSS 117 movies and loved them based on this thread. Are there any other great foreign comedies on Netflix that are worth watching? Preferable subtitled instead of dubbed.

I'm in the same boat. I loved both movies and am craving more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The only ones off the top of my head that I can think of are La Cage aux Folles which is streaming and 12:08 East of Bucharest which isn't.

edit: Great Britain is a foreign country, innit?

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 29, 2012

• Locked thread