Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

My intent was to point out to someone fairly new that it's not something you must do, and that in my experience focusing on other techniques will result in a far better game.

Cheers to that, especially if you've got even a slight weight advantage on your uke. Could I ask about your judo background btw? It sounds like you've been at it a while :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Pro click. That'll probably be my next gi. Thanks.

they are very boxy traditional cut gis. If you're a long and lean type the fit might frustrate you. Just fyi

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

CivilDisobedience posted:

Cheers to that, especially if you've got even a slight weight advantage on your uke. Could I ask about your judo background btw? It sounds like you've been at it a while :)
To me, judo (and jujitsu) is about the weight difference being as small a factor as possible. If I'm even remotely hoping for a weight advantage, I feel like my probability for survival (or victory) isn't very good. If I've worked hard on my technique and my sensitivity to uke's balance/commitment, I'll have a better shot in any situation. I just assume I'm always going to be the smaller guy.

I've been doing judo for about 12 years, I think, and been really active for about seven of those. For about four years I was concurrently doing jujitsu, and outside of those years I did some kickboxing. Poorly.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

they are very boxy traditional cut gis. If you're a long and lean type the fit might frustrate you. Just fyi

I know that it's hard to articulate stuff like this, but could you elaborate a little bit? I've only had two gis so far and I haven't really worked out what I like or dislike in them yet.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

With injuries to tori, inexperienced players can sometimes brace with arms and dislocate shoulders/wrists/elbows, or place shoulders into uke and separate their SC joint (especially with something like ouchigari performed maki komi style).

You can practice it without being hurt, I've thrown and been thrown with maki komi techniques without incident; I've also had accidents. Especially in competition.

Maki komi has its place, and it's entirely legitimate. My intent was to point out to someone fairly new that it's not something you must do, and that in my experience focusing on other techniques will result in a far better game.

I guess I didn't get what you were saying. It's definitely not something one should focus all of his efforts on, especially as a begginer. But I think it's important for everyone to get introduced to them and practice them in regular classes so they don't do them in the most horrible way in randori/shiai and injure people.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
Hey while we're on judo talk I'm curious what people think of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfI22dZ979A&feature=related it looks to me like it would be pretty effective, and might transfer well to no-gi/mma environments. What throw would you use to set this up?

E: Also I feel like I saw something similar in an Eddie Bravo vid once but I can't find it now

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 27, 2012

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I think we're saying the same thing. The purpose of my posting was to share my experience that the rest of my game improved when I stopped seeing maki komi as even much of an option. If you're preparing for competitive play, you should definitely experience it, but focusing on other aspects of judo will absolutely produce better results, and have for me personally.

Hey while we're on judo talk I'm curious what people think of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfI22dZ979A&feature=related it looks to me like it would be pretty effective, and might transfer well to no-gi/mma environments. What throw would you use to set this up?

E: Also I feel like I saw something similar in an Eddie Bravo vid once but I can't find it now
Seems like something you could enter into from rubber guard or some other sort of open guard, and should be doable without a gi. As for setting it up from a throw, I'm not sure right at this moment; don't do it with a seoinage like that, that's for sure. A failure of a sacrifice throw like tomoenage would allow you to move into something like that, perhaps.

That's a nasty little spot there. Nice. That other guy pretty clearly had no idea what to do on the ground, though.

Polyrhythmic Panda
Apr 8, 2010
Cool looking move, but nobody is going to let you take their arm all the way across their body like that unless they've never done BJJ in their life.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
I played around with this position a bit after seeing some of my coaches(Jean Jacques Machado and one of his black belts) using it. If you can get the position it's really strong. In addition to the attack in this video you can hit the triangle, omoplata, and sweep to mount as well. If you're going to use this position it's important that you flex your foot/ankle(like you would to start defending an ankle lock) immediately, otherwise you'll loose the position and/or get ankle locked.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Is the strain that gets the tap the same as a double nelson?

Jon Pop
Mar 6, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I joined Gracie Tampa about a month ago and so far it's been pretty good. I thought I would love the striking aspect more than BJJ but it's the complete opposite. I kinda hate Muay Thai and wish that they would just teach us Boxing instead.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Jon Pop posted:

I joined Gracie Tampa about a month ago and so far it's been pretty good. I thought I would love the striking aspect more than BJJ but it's the complete opposite. I kinda hate Muay Thai and wish that they would just teach us Boxing instead.

I dunno what it is about grappling that's so appealing, but the closest I've come to a conclusion is that it's the martial arts closest to a video game. I dunno why I feel that's more of a case with grappling than with striking, but it might very well just be that 90% of my time has gone to the former.

What is it you don't like about Muay Thai?

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
a competitive quake background is a good base for striking imo

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Made weight, rehydrated. My opponent is about 2" shorter than me and similar build. A little less lean. He's had 4 fights and this is my first so I'm just going to try relax, breathe and take it as it comes tomorrow night.

Rules are K-1 basically.

gimpsuitjones fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 27, 2012

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Paul Pot posted:

a competitive quake background is a good base for striking imo

How about striking as a good base for competitive quake. Back when counterstrike 1.6 was the bees knees as far as e-sports in Scandinavia were concerned, there was an understanding that physical activity aside from just gaming was important to maintain sharp reflexes and good performance on higher levels!

Sounds reasonable to me!

Jon Pop
Mar 6, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bohemian Nights posted:

I dunno what it is about grappling that's so appealing, but the closest I've come to a conclusion is that it's the martial arts closest to a video game. I dunno why I feel that's more of a case with grappling than with striking, but it might very well just be that 90% of my time has gone to the former.

What is it you don't like about Muay Thai?

Boxing just feels more natural to me, and it gives me a better work out. Muay Thai is very effective, but it's not as fun as Boxing or Tae Kwan Do

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

I actually do that all the time but from a sort of rubber guard set up, against someone even a little bit decent you need to put some effort into setting it up though. I wouldnt try to do it from a failed throw, the throw had basically nothing to do with that one since he just pulled guard from it and the other guy was clueless

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

gimpsuitjones posted:

Made weight, rehydrated. My opponent is about 2" shorter than me and similar build. A little less lean. He's had 4 fights and this is my first so I'm just going to try relax, breathe and take it as it comes tomorrow night.

Rules are K-1 basically.

Bring me his head.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Jon Pop posted:

Sup Gracie Tampa buddy, I'm at South. You going to Copa tomorrow?

Jon Pop
Mar 6, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kekekela posted:

Sup Gracie Tampa buddy, I'm at South. You going to Copa tomorrow?

No. Ive been sick all week and just trying to take it easy.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Well, I lost on points. The first 2 rounds I was too tentative, then got kicked in the liver several times which wasn't much fun and stopped me getting much off. 3rd round I loosened up and opened up on him a bit, knocked him down and got some good shots in.

I had heaps of fun and I think I did pretty well for my first fight, since it was his 5th. I didn't gas or get knocked out, so that's a good start!

Now I have a purple patch over my liver, and my left leg is reallll swollen and stiff. I didn't feel anything except the liver kicks in the cage though!

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
redacted, kind of e/n

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 30, 2012

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Got 3 guys from my club competing at Oceania championships today. Last chance to get points for olympic selection.
Streaming here in an hour if anyones bored enough.

e: One of our girls got 1st in u52kg, one of the boys got 4th and my coach got 3rd in... under 90s I think.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Apr 29, 2012

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

gimpsuitjones posted:

Well, I lost on points. The first 2 rounds I was too tentative, then got kicked in the liver several times which wasn't much fun and stopped me getting much off. 3rd round I loosened up and opened up on him a bit, knocked him down and got some good shots in.

I had heaps of fun and I think I did pretty well for my first fight, since it was his 5th. I didn't gas or get knocked out, so that's a good start!

Now I have a purple patch over my liver, and my left leg is reallll swollen and stiff. I didn't feel anything except the liver kicks in the cage though!

Good show! You had fun, held your own, and learned something about yourself and what it's like in the ring. They always say you learn more from a loss then a win, and that's not just feel good BS. Take these lessons on to the next and keep it up!

In related news, i'm fighting this Saturday. I actually called this one, and it's a guy who TKO'd one of our guys a year ago. Time for some payback.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Also my ear exploded into a giant pre-caulfilauer blood sac yesterday and everyone is telling me to drain it but I'm kind of freaked out about doing so :smith:

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 30, 2012

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

TheStampede posted:

Good show! You had fun, held your own, and learned something about yourself and what it's like in the ring. They always say you learn more from a loss then a win, and that's not just feel good BS. Take these lessons on to the next and keep it up!

In related news, i'm fighting this Saturday. I actually called this one, and it's a guy who TKO'd one of our guys a year ago. Time for some payback.

Yeah it was awesome, I don't even care that I lost really. Now I just want to go back to training and fix the holes, but I can't until I heal up a bit, should have checked some of those kicks!!

Here's a couple of bad photos (I'm in the black shorts)

OW my liver. I got hit with way too many of these.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Ugh first boxing match was going well, kinda turned into a brawl but I was landing some decent shots. Then I planted wrong with my leg and my knee popped and I lost via doctor stopage. Now I'm worried I tore something and I wont be able to do anything this summer :(.

I'm kinda proud of myself that I didn't shy away when he came out to brawl but I wish I would just stuck with using technique that I'd been training for.

EDIT: Thats some tight looking technique with that right cross gimp.

FreddyJackieTurner fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 29, 2012

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

gimpsuitjones posted:

Beautiful kick

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Oh man, JohnsonsJohnson, I hope your knee will be alright. That's a hell of an unlucky way to lose a fight.

Kekekela posted:

Also my ear exploded into a giant pre-caulfilauer blood sac yesterday and everyone is telling me to drain it but I'm kind of freaked out about doing so :smith:

You can go to a doctor for this. I had a sports doctor fix my cauliflower ear twice. They just make a small incision and squeeze all the blood out, then they'll put pressure on the area so blood doesn't flow back in. It'll only take three, four days and your ear will be (relatively speaking) fine again.

Here's a picture from a couple of years back when I had it fixed the first time. You'll look like kind of a chump, but atleast you won't run the same risk of infection and continued drainage as you might have when doing it yourself.

Also, congratulations with everyone's fights!

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 29, 2012

Jon Pop
Mar 6, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Can anyone recommend a good boxing gym in the Tampa, Florida area?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Bohemian Nights posted:

Oh man, JohnsonsJohnson, I hope your knee will be alright. That's a hell of an unlucky way to lose a fight.

You can go to a doctor for this. I had a sports doctor fix my cauliflower ear twice. They just make a small incision and squeeze all the blood out, then they'll put pressure on the area so blood doesn't flow back in. It'll only take three, four days and your ear will be (relatively speaking) fine again.

Here's a picture from a couple of years back when I had it fixed the first time. You'll look like kind of a chump, but atleast you won't run the same risk of infection and continued drainage as you might have when doing it yourself.

Also, congratulations with everyone's fights!

I actually just sucked it up and did the home surgery...icing it now. If it fills up again by morning I'll probably go to the doctor tomorrow. (actually tomorrow is the last day of my old group health plan and my new one doesn't kick in until July so its pretty much going to be then or never)

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I know that it's hard to articulate stuff like this, but could you elaborate a little bit? I've only had two gis so far and I haven't really worked out what I like or dislike in them yet.

It's sleeve length versus chest shoulder waste ratios really. The only guys who really care are very long or very thick. If you're an average size person, you may never really notice.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I was getting all excited to cut 14 lbs, a nice satisfying cut, for the Ontario BJJ tourney in 2 weeks then I read the weighins are right before your fight... now im eading a slice of chocolate cake... hosed up

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Ahhh, very nice, my second eye infection of the year. I don't mind the huge red eye that makes people think I have a massive hangover (I probably do anyway) but the constant feeling that someone is poking my eyeball with a thorny barb is slightly annoying and reduces the quality of my life. It's as if someone had taken a fistful of fine grain sand, and shoveled this poo poo under my eyelids. My eye thinks this is exactly what's happening as well and tries to clean the non-existent sand by watering all the time.

There's a storm of pollen and dust in the air right now and I got poked in the eye twice while sparring the last Saturday... should've seen this coming. Right now I'm wondering if a helmet would help me NOT get raked across my eye with a sweaty and dirty boxing glove, or should I just start wearing swimming glasses? I had three of these the last year.

It lasts for 3-4 days, hurts like hell and makes your eye water constantly. At it's peak it's hard to do even my regular work, first because you sleep like poo poo because of the irritation, second because gazing intensively at a bright monitor hurts my eyes and makes it water even more.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ligur posted:

Ahhh, very nice, my second eye infection of the year. I don't mind the huge red eye that makes people think I have a massive hangover (I probably do anyway) but the constant feeling that someone is poking my eyeball with a thorny barb is slightly annoying and reduces the quality of my life. It's as if someone had taken a fistful of fine grain sand, and shoveled this poo poo under my eyelids. My eye thinks this is exactly what's happening as well and tries to clean the non-existent sand by watering all the time.

There's a storm of pollen and dust in the air right now and I got poked in the eye twice while sparring the last Saturday... should've seen this coming. Right now I'm wondering if a helmet would help me NOT get raked across my eye with a sweaty and dirty boxing glove, or should I just start wearing swimming glasses? I had three of these the last year.

It lasts for 3-4 days, hurts like hell and makes your eye water constantly. At it's peak it's hard to do even my regular work, first because you sleep like poo poo because of the irritation, second because gazing intensively at a bright monitor hurts my eyes and makes it water even more.

I've had eye infections before but usually it's just from sweating into my eyes and then rubbing them.

I'd look into making sure mats, gloves, pads etc are all properly disinfected. It's really easy to forget and rub your eyes after holding bads or wearing gloves. If you keep getting infections after that I'd imagine head gear would help prevent any glove contact, as far as getting eye poked tell your partners to be more careful.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Shouldn't you ask everyone to spray the outside of their gloves with disinfectant if you caught an eye infection from one of them? I've never seen that at my gym. We always wear headgear while sparring. I think I get a glove in the eye almost every second session.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

Ugh first boxing match was going well, kinda turned into a brawl but I was landing some decent shots. Then I planted wrong with my leg and my knee popped and I lost via doctor stopage. Now I'm worried I tore something and I wont be able to do anything this summer :(.
The same thing happened to me in my very first (and last) amateur boxing match.

Torn ACL :( Have you seen an orthopedic surgeon yet?

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

The same thing happened to me in my very first (and last) amateur boxing match.

Torn ACL :( Have you seen an orthopedic surgeon yet?

Yup, torn ACL as well. Everybody I've talked commented on how you usually dont see knee injuries from regular boxing, good to see I have a "blown knee from boxing" buddy. :unsmith:

Luckily the orthopedic surgeon I saw through my college is pretty well reputed, but its still a huge bummer, I had planned to compete in some BJJ tournies this summer.

How long ago was it? Did you recover well?

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

Yup, torn ACL as well. Everybody I've talked commented on how you usually dont see knee injuries from regular boxing, good to see I have a "blown knee from boxing" buddy. :unsmith:

Luckily the orthopedic surgeon I saw through my college is pretty well reputed, but its still a huge bummer, I had planned to compete in some BJJ tournies this summer.

How long ago was it? Did you recover well?
The original tear was around Thanksgiving 2010. I was in close and brawling with the guy, he hooked me in the head and I stumbled, and that was it. Saw a sports orthopedic surgeon three days later, had a cadaver allograft surgery two weeks after. I then tore the reconstruction when I slipped on a patch of ice in February 2011. Got a second cadaver allograft1 revision / reconstruction in April of 2011. I was finished with my post-surgery PT in late October.

I can run and lift just fine now. I still don't have much confidence in my lateral movement, but that's primarily a mental block. Physically, my knee feels great.

Being dedicated to the PT was the single biggest factor in my recovery. If you're anything like me (pretty decent assumption considering we got injured the same way :)), your PT will probably have to slow you down a bit. Listen to them.2 Torn ACLs are one of the most common injuries they see, and they can tell when your hard-work is actually becoming detrimental.

Good luck with your recovery!

1 I saw the itemized bill for this surgery. Did you know a human Achilles tendon from a cadaver costs $7k?
2 I didn't learn this until afterwards, but until about five or six months after your surgery, the graft functions as a scaffolding that your body builds a new ACL over. My super-intense approach to PT likely weakened my first reconstruction, making the slip on the ice that much worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

Anybody use Le Roy hand wraps? I'm trying to find some videos on how to wrap them using the method where you use 2 rolls each hand. This is the only video I can find that specifically talks about Le Roy wraps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPyHWvW_ThI and its helpful but it's a little different than how they do it at my gym.

• Locked thread