Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Zeether posted:

Disney's One Saturday Morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atHUYWL1eIU

I remember as a kid being loving BLOWN AWAY by the CGI in this. I still kind of am today.

That CGI was really, really good by 90's standards. Everything else looked like Beast Wars, or worse, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvOSAko859k

Don't get me wrong, I loved Beast Wars, but it definitely looks like poo poo today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

Zeether posted:

Disney's One Saturday Morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atHUYWL1eIU

I haven't seen this in years and I STILL know all the words to this intro! Man I miss when Saturday meant awesomeness. It's funny, I absolutely hated getting up for school during the weekdays, but come Saturday, I was up bright and early to watch all my favorite cartoons and sometimes I'd be up even earlier than I'd normally be for school because I was so excited for Saturday.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

scorpiobean posted:

I haven't seen this in years and I STILL know all the words to this intro! Man I miss when Saturday meant awesomeness. It's funny, I absolutely hated getting up for school during the weekdays, but come Saturday, I was up bright and early to watch all my favorite cartoons and sometimes I'd be up even earlier than I'd normally be for school because I was so excited for Saturday.
I remember getting up at about 6:00 or so and there would be some local stuff on beforehand, and then I'd see that familiar ticket being stamped and flying off...ahh, memories :allears:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Two very important things happened to me in the 90's which also happened to be my formative years:

and

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Regarding the Saturday morning chat above, I remembering having a love/hate relationship with MST3K's time slot. on one hand, I loving love MST3k. On the other hand, I had to wake up early on Saturday.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

PalmTreeFun posted:

That CGI was really, really good by 90's standards. Everything else looked like Beast Wars, or worse, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvOSAko859k

Don't get me wrong, I loved Beast Wars, but it definitely looks like poo poo today.

God, what was it with '90s CGI and terrible clumsy fly-throughs? It's like none of these artists could conceptualize being on a tour bus, let alone a goddamn airplane.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

magic pantaloons posted:

There was something similar to this in Australia. My family had pay TV (aka cable) with Nickelodeon and I would receive newsletters from them. I got 3-D glasses once for an event where certain shows had scenes of 3D for about a month. The also had Smellivision where you had to scratch a certain panel for a certain scene on TV from a booklet that you received from the mail.

I remember this! if anyone knows the episode of Hey Arnold! where Helga is having some sort of trip, and running through a tunnel of multi-colored hearts towards a picture of Arnold, that was one of the episodes.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

MageMage posted:

I remember this! if anyone knows the episode of Hey Arnold! where Helga is having some sort of trip, and running through a tunnel of multi-colored hearts towards a picture of Arnold, that was one of the episodes.
The love potion episode? I remember she said "what is this crap" in that episode which was a REALLY big deal back then because "crap" was considered a swear word in some circles.

There was a 3D episode of Home Improvement at one point, too.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!

MageMage posted:

I remember Nickelodeon's 3-D glasses event and I remember being pretty disappointed. Maybe my TV at the time was too small but they didn't work for me that well.

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.
She fights for your freedom.

Inzombiac posted:

Legend of Kyrandia

Was the best adventure game outside of LucasArts because it didn't give a poo poo if you won, you could die all over the place and you could beat the game ina matter of minutes if you knew what you were doing.

This was one of the games, along with Amazon Trail and Oregon Trail, that we had on our classroom computers (only if you were a GATE kid though :smug: ) to play during free time.

Imagine, if you will, a group of about 10 third-graders, one sitting on the computer doing all the actual clicking and moving, and the other nine sitting there with notebooks and pencils, writing down all the riddles, trying to figure out which order we had to put the gemstones into that altar... only to have all of us get kicked off the computer when the fireberries burnt out and we all started screaming. Good times :unsmith:

And, as Wandering Knitter said, finding out you could drop the berries on the floor and have them not burn out when I was like 19 or 20. I screencapped it, put it on Facebook, tagged everyone in my 3rd grade class, and titled the picture "GUYS YOU COULD DROP THE BERRIES ON THE FLOOR AND THEY WOULDN'T BURN OUT". It was met with a chorus of "OH GOD drat IT WE COULD HAVE FINISHED THAT loving GAME!" A bunch of people actually went and found copies of the game to play, just because we never got past that part, ANY of us. :3:

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

Ain't you ever seen a naked chick riding a clam before?

HateTheInternet posted:

I remember Nickelodeon's 3-D glasses event and I remember being pretty disappointed. Maybe my TV at the time was too small but they didn't work for me that well.

Same. But Smellivision was great.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Pick posted:

How about this loving ridiculous time-sink of my youth, 3D Movie Maker?

OH MY GOD I CAN MAKE MY OWN MOVIES IT'S THE FUTURE!

I played the poo poo out of this when I was 10, it came with our first PC. I really wish I could still somehow access all those old movies I made, but the data gets erased when you insert the disc into a new computer.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Johnny Cage, the 90s-est videogame character:

I remember when I was an impressionable (dumb) kid, I entered a videogame magazine's contest to "Win Johnny Cage's Leather Jacket!". As far as I know, Johnny Cage has never worn a jacket in a single Mortal Kombat game.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Tewratomeh posted:

I remember when I was an impressionable (dumb) kid, I entered a videogame magazine's contest to "Win Johnny Cage's Leather Jacket!". As far as I know, Johnny Cage has never worn a jacket in a single Mortal Kombat game.

I think you might be talking about this:

As far as I know it only appeared in his versus picture and in some promo stuff.

On that note, my favorite campy 90's thing were terribly made Mortal Kombat knock offs. If you had some cheap halloween costumes, a green screen, and could come up with some lame fatalities, you had a fighting game. Especially great were the ones that showed up on the third string consoles like the 3DO and Jaguar, which looked great in screenshots but played like a wet turd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_Ya4mSkDMI

and on that note, early White Zombie :rock:

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I used to play this and the sequels all the time as a kid. Leave that godamn fox in the trap, I don't care.

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

Ain't you ever seen a naked chick riding a clam before?

Tewratomeh posted:

Buy me Bloodstorm or go to hell.

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Didn't Daniel Pesina get fired for that?

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

waspinator posted:

Didn't Daniel Pesina get fired for that?

Yes, and I remember reading some musing that that is why the move choreography and motion capturing in MK3 was so lousy looking since he had his hands in that for the first two games.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

My mother reminded me of Sailor Moon today.

Were it, Dragon Ball, and Pokemon the first three animes to wash ashore in the West? Because they brought a loving tidal wave that leaves us swamped to this day.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
drat whippersnappers!

Astroboy, Speed Racer and a dozen other super low budget crappy Japanese cartoons were around decades before those Pokeymen.

My favourites were ones where, whenever they had characters talking, they just threw up still images and had the voice actors' (to use the term loosely) mouths superimposed over the top.

EDIT - And let's not forget Starblazers! Fukken awesome.

We're off to outer space! Blowing poo poo up in a battleship is ace!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5oniErmeuE

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 05:25 on May 4, 2012

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

korusan posted:

Were it, Dragon Ball, and Pokemon the first three animes to wash ashore in the West? Because they brought a loving tidal wave that leaves us swamped to this day.

I thought Robotech came first. I never saw it but some relative bought me some footy pajamas that had sweet looking robots on it that are probably now one of my oldest concrete memories (that family members don't have to remind me about.) The funny thing about the anecdotes that get repeated is that while I have no memory of the events themselves I have many many memories of my family reminding me about it. The Robotech PJs are just something I personally remember from being very wee.

And come to think of it, Speed Racer was shown in the US a really long time ago.

Here's a nice list.

Edit: kinda beaten.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I think DBZ and Sailor Moon were the first real "anime" animes to hit real nationwide network television though. Obviously before that you had stuff like Transformers, Voltron, etc, but those were the first ones with magical girls, BEAMS, and :byodood: POWER LEVELS

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Does anyone remember Spiderman Comic Book Maker for the PC? I think that's what it was called. It was on my dad's old laptop from like 1996-1997 and I remember having a lot of very fond memories of that.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

cinni posted:

I used to play this and the sequels all the time as a kid. Leave that godamn fox in the trap, I don't care.

Oh god this. I played the absolute crap out of this. I still prefer the original graphics version to the "new" VGA one. It was the best to start as a thief but make sure you put points into the magic user and fighter stats, so you could be one super character.

Now I'm gonna have to go download it again. Damnit.

Flour Bunny
Dec 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Everybody in this music video
We'll be singing, when we're winning, we'll be singing

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

Flour Bunny posted:

Everybody in this music video
We'll be singing, when we're winning, we'll be singing

I always associated late 90s with the above song as well as this song:

It's been one week since you looked at me...

I just saw these guys last year in concert and they still pretty much rock. I could still sing along with almost every single song they played and it's definitely a concert I would to go again.

i am a bee
Apr 17, 2006
bees, bees, bees, just lookin' for a good time

korusan posted:

Speaking subjectively and from a UK perspective, but maybe kind of?

Pokemon certainly seemed the point where it went stellar, while stuff like Akira, Fist of the North Star, 3x3 Eyes and Ghost in the Shell always seemed associated with cyberpunk and 90s rave culture to me and a bit more subversive and 'grown up' because of that. They always seemed kind of illicit and 'cool'.

Hell, this is my early mid-nineties right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCfDxZxTBW4

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

i am a bee posted:

Pokemon certainly seemed the point where it went stellar, while stuff like Akira, Fist of the North Star, 3x3 Eyes and Ghost in the Shell always seemed associated with cyberpunk and 90s rave culture to me and a bit more subversive and 'grown up' because of that. They always seemed kind of illicit and 'cool'.

There must have been something before that because I have an early memory seared in my brain, pre-pokemon, of a tiny bit of anime. All I remember is that it was in a fantasy setting, in a swamp, there was a little girl and an older boy, one of them had long green hair, the little girl is riding a llama (?) and is dying of malaria.
I have no idea what show/film that was, but I caught it some time before I started watching pokmon, so I think it must have been pre-1997.

But yeah, I totally identify with your second paragraph. I have a framed advert for Akira somewhere in my childhood bedroom that I ripped out of a magazine as a kid. I really loved the anim aesthetic, but it was hard to be exposed to anything other than pokmon and my parents didn't even like me watching/playing that :saddowns:

Although later I watched Cardcaptors religiously. For a nostalgia hit, I watched an episode on Youtube and it is just as awful as my mum always said it was.

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.

madlilnerd posted:

Although later I watched Cardcaptors religiously. For a nostalgia hit, I watched an episode on Youtube and it is just as awful as my mum always said it was.

Oh God, just reading that got the Cardcaptors song stuck in my head. I had a Sakura doll and a Madison doll that I cherished so very very much. No idea what happened to them now, which is kind of disappointing.

Though, I do remember how shocked I was to find out that Cardcaptors was edited from Cardcaptor Sakura, and I decided to go pick up the manga with my allowance, only to discover everyone was gay.

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

:h:Knight of the
Rainbow Table.:h:

i am a bee posted:

Hell, this is my early mid-nineties right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCfDxZxTBW4
:aaa: The opening notes of the song made me stop mid-chew to go wall-eyed and reminiscent.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

madlilnerd posted:

There must have been something before that because I have an early memory seared in my brain, pre-pokemon, of a tiny bit of anime.
I'm not sure what the situation was in the UK, precisely, but on the continent at least, there'd been some anime series on TV prior to the big wave of VHS tapes that Manga Video put out around 1993 or so. For example, I remember being on holiday in the Ardennes (I believe in 1989) and seeing broadcasts of Captain Tsubasa au franais. However, I don't believe there was much of an awareness of anime as a major phenomenon until said wave, which probably appealed to few others than (pre-)teen boys who were awfully impressed by all the sci-fi, ultra-violence, and sex. The real breakthrough - in the Netherlands at least - didn't come until the end of the '90s, when less objectionable TV-series, aimed at (exploiting) a younger and less mono-gendered audience, made their arrival.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lolitas Alright! posted:

Oh God, just reading that got the Cardcaptors song stuck in my head. I had a Sakura doll and a Madison doll that I cherished so very very much. No idea what happened to them now, which is kind of disappointing.

Though, I do remember how shocked I was to find out that Cardcaptors was edited from Cardcaptor Sakura, and I decided to go pick up the manga with my allowance, only to discover everyone was gay.

The only thing I remember from Cardcaptors (being a guy who watched it way too much (Sailor Moon too)) is that the final battle against... what's his name (I want to say Moo or something but I think that's Monster Rancher) was totally unfair. She had to fight him with her cards, but he owned half the cards and there was no indication of which ones. And if she used one of his then it was used against her and probably caused death.

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.

Cleretic posted:

The only thing I remember from Cardcaptors (being a guy who watched it way too much (Sailor Moon too)) is that the final battle against... what's his name (I want to say Moo or something but I think that's Monster Rancher) was totally unfair. She had to fight him with her cards, but he owned half the cards and there was no indication of which ones. And if she used one of his then it was used against her and probably caused death.

Oh, the crazy as gently caress Chinese kid who showed up just to kill off Sakura and Li so he could be ULTIMATE CARDCAPTOR? I don't remember the ending, I ended up getting really bored after she had to go catch MORE cards and quit watching.

I'm kind of tempted to watch an episode on YouTube and see if it's really as bad as I remember. Considering it was one of the first things 4Kids ever put on TV, I imagine it's going to be really bad.

Fireless Phoenix
May 4, 2012

by Lowtax
Ooh-ooh-aah-aah remember this? : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fphjh7m5flA

I'm sure the X-Files has been referenced here somewhere: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDZBgHBHQT8

And are any of you Amerigoons familiar with The Crystal Maze?

I miss the 90s :(
Someone in this thread hit the nail on the head when they said the 90s had a wide-eyed innocence to them. Everything's become so gritty, so real nowadays. Back in the 90s, people still believed in cults, poltergeists, etc.

E: since we're on the topic of vidya games... I got these out of cereal boxes :allears:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H28EFYuHrJ8 <-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB6DCzUnQB8&feature=related ; Pretty cool, huh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHcG-dKMkiM&feature=related :downs: Who am I kidding, it's loving awesome.

Fireless Phoenix has a new favorite as of 03:43 on May 6, 2012

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Lolitas Alright! posted:

Oh, the crazy as gently caress Chinese kid who showed up just to kill off Sakura and Li so he could be ULTIMATE CARDCAPTOR? I don't remember the ending, I ended up getting really bored after she had to go catch MORE cards and quit watching.

I'm kind of tempted to watch an episode on YouTube and see if it's really as bad as I remember. Considering it was one of the first things 4Kids ever put on TV, I imagine it's going to be really bad.
Nelvana dubbed Cardcaptor Sakura, not 4Kids. Also if it was confusing it's because they basically cut a ton of stuff from it when they dubbed it or something like that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Having read the original Card Captor Sakura I have to say some of the changes were good. They removed some of the... CLAMPitude. Like how young Sakura's mother was and that thing with her classmate. Jesus poo poo.

That said... Julian Starr :iamafag:.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

korusan posted:

I grew up in Australia in the 80s and Astro Boy was a huge thing with my friends and I. Australia generally has the same trends as North America but not so sure on that one.

Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball and Pokemon were never a thing for anyone I knew, even though I moved to Canada in 1987. Just a bit too old I guess.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Did anyone ever watch Flint: The Time Detective?

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Zeether posted:

Did anyone ever watch Flint: The Time Detective?
Hoon daga heen daga. That was one of my oddball favorites, along with Mon Colle Knights and Monster Rancher. I think both Flint and Monster Rancher got the shaft to Fox/ABC Family late in their runs, along with tons of repeats. I never saw the end of Monster Rancher (caught the second to last episode, though), and I randomly stumbled upon the final episode of Flint the only time it aired. At least Mon Colle Knights finished out its run on Fox Kids, and had a short run on Jetix, with aired in the entirely wrong order.

Sailor Moon was also the poo poo back in the day; I remember being so surprised when there was a second season, and then even third and fourth ones! Cardcaptors was okay. Can't watch it at all now, and I think Cardcaptor Sakura is too slow moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Doglord posted:

E: since we're on the topic of vidya games... I got these out of cereal boxes :allears:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H28EFYuHrJ8 <-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB6DCzUnQB8&feature=related ; Pretty cool, huh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHcG-dKMkiM&feature=related :downs: Who am I kidding, it's loving awesome.

Psssh. Take your babby educational games from cereal boxes and bow before the god of games from cereal boxes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSjD8855qo0

• Locked thread