Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Finally took some pictures of my Rocinante variant. I lost his stupid head and ended up putting a grenadiers head on him. Then I found his real head in my bag. Whatever, I like the grenadier!

And here he is with his boss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^Pretty funky!

Can anyone make a recommendation for a Macbain list? I love my Cryx, but I just want something new and I'm leaning towards Mercs.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Arlaharen posted:

gently caress yeah, took second with Minions in a 21 person tournament :cool:

Only loss was against the guy who won the tournament and who played a really dirty pSkarre list with full McThralls, Bane Knights and Satyxis. Basically, gently caress Cryx forever. I did take down eDenny in the first game. A distinct perk of playing minions is that nobody knows what you're really up too and then they get a face full of 'gators and/or pigs.

I find that it's the opposite, they're not very diverse and it's easy to memorize their shenanigans.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

I played a 35 pt tournament today, and made both the dumbest list and had almost the coolest warcaster assasination at the same time.

We set up and I set up extreme right, I mean gripping the side line. He sets up directly opposite me. Turn 1 I advance a bit, he advances and gets all his guys set up in shield wall with buffs and poo poo, whatever. Turn 2, 10 BOG TROG ASSASINATION RUN DOG PILE ON HIS CASTER. 5 surround Feora and rip her down 9 hit points. His turn he murders all of them with his two dervishes and Feora using a spell that hits all guys within 2 inches of a target with flame. Turn 3 10 MORE BOG TROG ASSASINATION RUN PART 2. I nailed her for 6 more damage. Soooooo close to retarded fish assasination.

I proceeded to win by control points as he was too busy dealing with fish in the rear end to process gators in the front.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

The Aberrant posted:

I find that it's the opposite, they're not very diverse and it's easy to memorize their shenanigans.

I guess it could be a meta thing. Whenever I go to a tournament outside of my usual wargaming circle I get a couple of "oh Minions I've never faced them before what do they do?" comments and manage to pull off some obscure underdog-tech. Not that much different from facing a new caster no matter the faction and my usual opponents know most of my tricks by now, but Minions seems kinda underrepresented so players rarely know what they can do.

sansuki posted:

I played a 35 pt tournament today, and made both the dumbest list and had almost the coolest warcaster assasination at the same time.

We set up and I set up extreme right, I mean gripping the side line. He sets up directly opposite me. Turn 1 I advance a bit, he advances and gets all his guys set up in shield wall with buffs and poo poo, whatever. Turn 2, 10 BOG TROG ASSASINATION RUN DOG PILE ON HIS CASTER. 5 surround Feora and rip her down 9 hit points. His turn he murders all of them with his two dervishes and Feora using a spell that hits all guys within 2 inches of a target with flame. Turn 3 10 MORE BOG TROG ASSASINATION RUN PART 2. I nailed her for 6 more damage. Soooooo close to retarded fish assasination.

I proceeded to win by control points as he was too busy dealing with fish in the rear end to process gators in the front.

This is too good. I love it when you ambush them and the opponent gets a paniced looks on his face when he realizes that there are juicy flanking solos in range.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Crosspostin'

Things I learned:

P3 paints are wonderful.

Cavalry models are a bitch to paint when you glue them in advance.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

He looks delicious! Do you have more stuff in that scheme?

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

Ashcans posted:

Finally took some pictures of my Rocinante variant. I lost his stupid head and ended up putting a grenadiers head on him. Then I found his real head in my bag. Whatever, I like the grenadier!

And here he is with his boss:

Nice. I like that Grenadier head on him.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Ashcans posted:

He looks delicious! Do you have more stuff in that scheme?

Only my entire Retribution army (at least, what I have painted so far). Nearly every time I play them at my FLGS, I get asked if they were for a Breast Cancer Brawl. I reply, "I've never been to a BCB."

Although I just found out that they have pink Privateer swag as prizes at those events, so I might have to go to the next one.

Edit: here's a cell phone pic of my 75pt Dawn's Talon list going up against a Baldur2 list. The cluster in the back are full units of Halbrediers, Riflemen, and two Heavy Rifle Teams. The invictors (right foreground) were only basecoated (still are, I need to get on that). But at least I've got one of those Scyirs in the foreground painted now!

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 29, 2012

sansuki
May 17, 2003

Paper Kaiju posted:

Only my entire Retribution army (at least, what I have painted so far). Nearly every time I play them at my FLGS, I get asked if they were for a Breast Cancer Brawl. I reply, "I've never been to a BCB."

Although I just found out that they have pink Privateer swag as prizes at those events, so I might have to go to the next one.

Edit: here's a cell phone pic of my 75pt Dawn's Talon list going up against a Baldur2 list. The cluster in the back are full units of Halbrediers, Riflemen, and two Heavy Rifle Teams. The invictors (right foreground) were only basecoated (still are, I need to get on that). But at least I've got one of those Scyirs in the foreground painted now!

Someone vomited peptol bismol on my ipod. That is a truly bold army color choice. I love it.

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009

Paper Kaiju posted:

Glorious Pink Elves

I never thought that anyone could pull off Pink quite like an Emperor's Children army. Good job sir.

Yesterday I got introduced to Mortenebra, Necrotech of Cryx, in the final game of a small tourney. It wasn't pretty. After destroying 4 warjacks in as many activations on E Sorcha's feat turn (which also featured Behemoth One-Shotting a Leviathan with his Rocket Fists), I ended up losing to a Trampling, Overrun, Ghostly Death Jack with Terminal Velocity. I'm pretty sure DJ started the turn about 14 inches away from Sorcha and in combat with Yuri the Axe too.

Now I know Cryx is spoiled for choice when it comes to Warcasters, but I'm still surprised that she isn't taken more. I do not want to see what happens when she gains access to a Colossal.

Chicken Slayer fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 30, 2012

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Cross posting in here to show off my army colours:

Now I just need to learn how to play!

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

Chicken Slayer posted:

I never thought that anyone could pull off Pink quite like an Emperor's Children army. Good job sir.

Yesterday I got introduced to Mortenebra, Necrotech of Cryx, in the final game of a small tourney. It wasn't pretty. After destroying 4 warjacks in as many activations on E Sorcha's feat turn (which also featured Behemoth One-Shotting a Leviathan with his Rocket Fists), I ended up losing to a Trampling, Overrun, Ghostly Death Jack with Terminal Velocity. I'm pretty sure DJ started the turn about 14 inches away from Sorcha and in combat with Yuri the Axe too.

Now I know Cryx is spoiled for choice when it comes to Warcasters, but I'm still surprised that she isn't taken more. I do not want to see what happens when she gains access to a Colossal.

Hey, I played a game against Mortenebra today!

I lost. Hard.

:smith:

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10

InternetJunky posted:

Fantastic looking army!
How did you do the gold colours?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

The Impaler posted:

Fantastic looking army!
How did you do the gold colours?
Thanks! The gold is a combination of Vallejo liquid metails gold and old gold, with some black oil washes. This was my first time using the liquid gold paints, and even though they're a pain to use any other metallic paint pales in comparison.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
I fucken love those Skorne.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

InternetJunky posted:

Those Skorne are absolutely ballin'. If I wasn't already locked into my lavender/violet/bronze scheme for my Skorne, I might have had to steal yours.

Edit: Nice work on the banner insignia; my freehand skills are atrocious.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

InternetJunky posted:

Now I just need to learn how to play!

High five purple/gold Skorne buddy! Yours look better than mine though, so now I have a good reason to step up my painting. :)

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 30, 2012

Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004
Just finished a Mauler.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Adrian Finol posted:

Just finished a Mauler.

Awesome job, man! Looks great.

Anyone have experience with Scattergunners? I want to buy them and play them, but I compare them to Winterguard and Knights Exemplar and say to myself "My god! You are unimpressive!"

I just don't get enough table time to actually test things out. So, any comments for or against would be helpful.

It is also like a hundred dollar unit...

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I have only fought against them. If you get them, I think you pretty much have to get the UA for the benefit of Quick Work and Clear! Otherwise it seems like it would be really hard to make use of them.

Fighting against them, honestly, I wasn't that impressed. The above skills are a pain, but they still have mediocre MAT and RAT so it's hard to get the best of their abilities. I was able to stall them and ultimately beat them with the Devil Dogs + Rhupert, which was a trade slightly in my favor.

I am sure one of the Trollblood players will have more to say!

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Scattergunners are actually decent with pDoomshaper thanks to fortune, and not really worth their points otherwise.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Chicken Slayer posted:

I don't know anyone who has ever built this army, but I don't even have 10 warjacks to try and proxy it with. I can't imagine how you would beat it. Except by lucky assassination or scenario win.

System: Warmachine
Faction: Mortenebra - Infernal Machines
Casters: 1/1
Tiers: 4
Master Necrotech Mortenebra (*4pts)
* Slayer (5pts)
* Slayer (5pts)
* Slayer (5pts)
* Slayer (5pts)
* Slayer (5pts)
* Slayer (5pts)
* Slayer (5pts)
* Slayer (5pts)
* Slayer (5pts)
* Slayer (5pts)
Warwitch Siren (2pts)
Warwitch Siren (2pts)

InternetJunky posted:

Thanks! The gold is a combination of Vallejo liquid metails gold and old gold, with some black oil washes. This was my first time using the liquid gold paints, and even though they're a pain to use any other metallic paint pales in comparison.

I am going to repaint my menoth in that scheme. So consider it totally stolen. Also I agree with the paint assessment. Vallejo gold is pretty much the best out there.

Washout fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 30, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Washout posted:

I don't know anyone who has ever built this army, but I don't even have 10 warjacks to try and proxy it with. I can't imagine how you would beat it. Except by lucky assassination or scenario win.

* Slayer (5pts)
* Slayer (5pts)
* Slayer (5pts)
* Slayer (5pts)
* Slayer (5pts)
* Slayer (5pts)
* Slayer (5pts)
* Slayer (5pts)
* Slayer (5pts)
* Slayer (5pts)
Warwitch Siren (2pts)
Warwitch Siren (2pts).

This army's not very good. It has no ranged capability, no really effective way to screen Morty, can't really handle Inhospitable Ground or other terrain generating effects, and relies too heavily on one spell. Furthermore you don't have to do very much damage to a Slayer to render it useless (take out the legs or either arm and you dramatically decrease its functionality), and any gunline is going to absolutely ruin your day. Pnemo, Kraye/Sloan, either Haley, Irusk, either Grissel, Ravyn, any Legion army but especially Vayl/Saeryn, any Cryx army, Kaelyssa/Ravyn... these are all almost auto lose matchups for this list.

E: just to make a point: a Slayer has the exact same damage grid as a Lancer but without set defense or the shield, making it a net -2 DEF on the charge, -1 ARM. The things fall apart in a stiff breeze. And once they do you've got lots of 50mm wreck markers loving up your ability to get at the enemy.

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 30, 2012

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

The Aberrant posted:

Scattergunners are actually decent with pDoomshaper thanks to fortune, and not really worth their points otherwise.

They're fine with Grim.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Oath Crosspost inc:

~My Little Menite: MkII is Magic!~

Mikael Kreoss fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 30, 2012

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Those look really awesome, I wish I could see them better :(

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Goons, can I get a recommendation on this Mercs list?

--Warcaster--
pMagnus

--Warjacks--
2x Renegade
1x Talon
1x Mangler

--Infantry--
1x Max Steelhead Halberdiers
1x Min. Cutthroats

--Solo--
1x Kell Baloch

I'm not positive that's 35 points- I don't have my book on me, but I'm pretty sure :v:

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

Sab669 posted:

--Warcaster--
pMagnus

--Warjacks--
2x Renegade
1x Talon
1x Mangler

--Infantry--
1x Min. Cutthroats

--Solo--
1x Kell Baloch

I'm not positive that's 35 points- I don't have my book on me, but I'm pretty sure :v:

I don't play pMagnus, but I play against him pretty often. It depends on what you're trying to do with that list, who you're facing, that sort of thing, but...

Halberdiers are terrible alone. Paired with Steelhead Cavalry, much better.
Cutthroats are usually disappointing, unless you're running Scaverous. I would say 'outright awful' but that is perhaps too harsh. See if there's a ranged option from whatever contract you're running? Maybe ATGM.

Your warjacks are great.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.
So I'm waiting for the plastic Reckoner kit to come out and this is what I'm currently running. Plan on dropping the Crusader and the Seneschal when I snag the Reckoner. Thoughts?

Faction: Menoth
pKreoss (+5)
* Vanquisher (8)
* Redeemer (6)
* Crusader (6)
Exemplar Errants (Leader & 9 Grunts) (8)
* Exemplar Errants UA (2)
Exemplar Errants Seneschal (2)
Piper (2)
Convenant of Menoth (2)
Vassal (2)
Choir (Leader & 3 Grunts) (2)

VVV your paint job is so awesome, I am jealous

FLEXBONER fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 1, 2012

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Always Be Crushing Heretics!

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009

Washout posted:

Well I don't know what makes a good Morti list, but the big thing I see isn't the pathfinder problems or the reliance on Terminal Velocity (which is an awesome spell, better than some casters feats), but the lack of good Overrun triggers in the list.

From what I can see, there's two ways to play Morti. Either you play in Teir and take an army of Heavy Jacks, or you play her out of Teir and take the Diglett Army (lots of Helldivers, Stalkers and MurderCrows, some support infantry like Bile Thralls to deal with mobs, with 1 or 2 heavies like a Harrower or DJ to back your list up). Morti's strength isn't just in the number of jacks that she can bring (it's not very hard to kill Cryx jacks in general, as mentioned), but in the fact that she can fling them all over the board with a combo of Overrun and Terminal Velocity, plus she can reliably trigger Overrun using her Feat plus her Thrall to save spending her focus.

For the record, this is the army I lost to.

* Stalker (4pts)
* Deathjack (11pts)
* Harrower (9pts)
* Leviathan (8pts)
* Slayer (5pts)
* Slayer (5pts)
* Slayer (5pts)
3 Scrap Thrall (1pts)
3 Scrap Thrall (1pts)
3 Scrap Thrall (1pts)
Warwitch Siren (2pts)
Warwitch Siren (2pts)

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

Sab669 posted:

--Warcaster--
pMagnus

--Warjacks--
2x Renegade
1x Talon
1x Mangler

--Infantry--
1x Min. Cutthroats

--Solo--
1x Kell Baloch

I would personally drop the Talon and Kell Baloch. I think both have trouble earning their points. If you want four warjacks you could try to squeeze a Vanguard in there instead.

Another thing to think about is that pMags CMD is only 7, so he benefits from having another leader around like Alexia or Stannis Brocker (or even Rockbottom) to help keep his infantry from running away.

Raiche posted:

I don't play pMagnus, but I play against him pretty often. It depends on what you're trying to do with that list, who you're facing, that sort of thing, but...

Halberdiers are terrible alone. Paired with Steelhead Cavalry, much better.
Cutthroats are usually disappointing, unless you're running Scaverous. I would say 'outright awful' but that is perhaps too harsh. See if there's a ranged option from whatever contract you're running? Maybe ATGM.

ATGM only work for Highborn and Magnus doesn't work for Highborn. Nyss Hunters are probably the strongest ranged option in 4star and they can utilize either Snipe or Blur from Magnus pretty well.

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

Acceptableloss posted:

ATGM only work for Highborn and Magnus doesn't work for Highborn. Nyss Hunters are probably the strongest ranged option in 4star and they can utilize either Snipe or Blur from Magnus pretty well.

Yeah, I blame working overtime on forgetting that MAGNUS hates Cygnar. Nyss are the way to go, and boo to Cutthroats.

SirJoeKCB
Dec 24, 2003

Sab669 posted:

--Warcaster--
pMagnus

--Warjacks--
2x Renegade
1x Talon
1x Mangler

--Infantry--
1x Min. Cutthroats

--Solo--
1x Kell Baloch

By my count you're 4 pts short of 35. You're also one unit of steelheads away from making it a tier 4 list if that's what you were going for.

I'm not quite sure what your game plan would be for this list; how are you thinking of playing it?

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Sab669 posted:

--Warcaster--
pMagnus

--Warjacks--
2x Renegade
1x Talon
1x Mangler

--Infantry--
1x Min. Cutthroats

--Solo--
1x Kell Baloch

Your jacks are alright. pMagnus loves his jacks and 4 is usually the magic number in my experience. I'd trade out the Talon for a Nomad if possible (or as soon as possible) as that will give you another great assault unit to pair with the Mangler. No complaints here.

pMagnus will always need some infantry around but he will not be able to contribute to them very much like other Merc Casters. He has Snipe which is a good all round spell and handy for the Renegades and Blur which is almost always used on Magnus by and large. So that said, you will want to find infantry that can basically perform without Magnus backing them up. Boomhowler and Co is solid with Magnus and casting Snipe on them helps with their short range, but not the poor Rat. I owe Croe's Cutthroats and have yet to be impressed by them. They really don't come out anymore but especially not with Magnus. Good with Drake McBain's tier though.

Steelhead Halberdiers are great. Love them, love the models, first unit of Warmachine I bought but they desperately need to be paired with a unit of Steelhead Cavalry. The Halberdier and Cavalry block is good with Magnus as they fit into his tier list, and can handle most things that your opponent will throw at you. Just run the Halberdiers up aggressively and either charge or get charged and have the Cavalry sweep in from behind or the flank to murder anything engaged with the Halberdiers. It takes some getting used with all the movements and timing but you will be surprised what they can wreck together.

pMagnus's tier list is very good, one of the better ones in my opinion. It does limit your Solo choices which hurts since we have just a gallery of great solo choices but it makes the Renegades 5 points each which is a steal for those little murder machines. It also supplies some decent in-game effects with Wreck Markers, getting access to Cygnar Long Gunners (put Snipe on them and enjoy), as well Advance Move for the Halberdiers. I would look into expanding into it as you are already close to it.

Here is a quick revision I made for ya:

Faction: Magnus - Most Wanted
Magnus the Traitor (*6pts)
* Renegade (5pts)
* Renegade (5pts)
* Mangler (8pts)
* Nomad (6pts)
Steelhead Halberdiers (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
Steelhead Heavy Cavalry (Leader and 2 Grunts) (6pts)
Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist (2pts)
Kell Bailoch (2pts)

I kept Kell in since you mentioned him. I like him but I don't think I've ever been impressed with him. He is handy to have, but Mercs have a LOT of good solos to choose from. Gorman is another great solo for Mercs and fits in with the T4 list. He can hang back with Magnus for the smoke bombs or move up with the Halberdiers for Rust Bombs/Black Oil comedy. You can also take Orin Midwinter who provides a 12in "No Spell Casting" zone for Magnus to hide in, as well as a handy Arc Lighting spell.

One last thing which took me forever to realize and start exploiting. The Renegades are Arc Nodes (Merc's only one outside of pirate shenanigans :smith:). You can use them to bounce spells like Snipe and Blur to your infantry if Magnus is further away. Also, moving a Renegade behind a unit and casting Arcantrik Bolt or Obliteration though the Arc Node will let you use Magnus's Backstab damage boost which has all sorts of applications.

Good luck!

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

S.J. posted:

Those look really awesome, I wish I could see them better :(
My digital camera is literally not functioning properly. :v:

I'll get a new one eventually but for now you must suffer!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Mikael Kreoss posted:

My digital camera is literally not functioning properly. :v:

I'll get a new one eventually but for now you must suffer!

I suffer a little on the inside every time someone starts a new menoth army :(

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

S.J. posted:

I suffer a little on the inside every time someone starts a new menoth army :(

I suffer a little on the inside whenever I see the OP of the Warmachine thread next to a filthy ork avatar. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I'm looking at what I want to expand my collection. I feel like moving on from Khador and I like a lot of the infantry in Cygnar but I'm not sure I want to get in that faction. I'm really looking at mercenaries because It gives me a choice of a number of irregulars from other factions.

Faction: Ashlynn - Viva la resistance
Ashlynn d'Elyse (*6pts)
* Vanguard (5pts)
* Vanguard (5pts)
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages (Leader and 5 Grunts) (6pts)
* Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer (0pts)
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages (Leader and 5 Grunts) (6pts)
* Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer (2pts)
Anastasia di Bray (2pts)
Rutger Shaw (2pts)
Taryn di la Rovissi (2pts)

Here is a tier 4 Ashlynn list I was thinking of going with. Any thoughts? There isn't much variety but pretty much every non solo model can be used in other lists I like. Anyone have any experience playing with or against Ashlynn? Its is pretty much the opposite of the Khador Juggernaut+Man-o-War list I have been playing.

• Locked thread