Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the original rumor was that those were Half-Life 2 screenshots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
So what you're saying is that at the end of HL3, Gordon Freeman ends up at the top of a pyramid shouting at the Combine "I am the One Free Man! I am nobody's bitch! You are my bitch!"

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Kindly indulge this relatively new goon: would it constitute bad form to point out Fart Seeking Orb's negative postcount and suggest that he keep FYAD humour within the confines of FYAD?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

Kindly indulge this relatively new goon: would it constitute bad form to point out Fart Seeking Orb's negative postcount and suggest that he keep FYAD humour within the confines of FYAD?

No people on SA really love references to post count and an autist-level of lack of appreciation for funny jokes.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

NihilCredo posted:

I assure you that is not FYAD humor and FYAD does not condone his posting. Check my postcount for my FYAD credentials.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

The Milkman posted:

I assure you that is not FYAD humor and FYAD does not condone his posting. Check my postcount for my FYAD credentials.

Thanks for clearing the air. The Games forum was about to head into a situation where one or more communities may have been unjustly defamed due to the callous action of an unaffiliated troublemaker.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Thanks for the assistance, and I apologise for questioning the honour of FYAD.

To bring a bit of content back to this thread, uh... well, there's still ~13 hours left on the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 free multiplayer weekend.

If you're a :pcgaming: goon like me who for the last few years has figured the series didn't offer quite enough content for its inflated price tags, you might want to check it out so you can see for yourself what the hubbub's all about. There's all sorts of stuff that leaves me quizzical and/or leery, from the crazy unlock treadmill to the batshit insane netcode, but there's also some solid spiced-up twitch-FPS fun there. And picking up a riot shield in the control point-based game modes is also hilarious.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, I see you're looking for a twitch FPS with a Skinnerbox unlock treadmill, might I suggest Team Fortress 2?

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."
Seems Nvidia really want to streamline PC gaming.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/news/video/nvidia-announces-geforce-experience/

With cloud support Nvidia will optimize your game's graphical settings according to your hardware. Isn't part of the fun tweaking and finding the sweetspot? I suppose this might be useful.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

Manac0r posted:

Seems Nvidia really want to streamline PC gaming.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/news/video/nvidia-announces-geforce-experience/

With cloud support Nvidia will optimize your game's graphical settings according to your hardware. Isn't part of the fun tweaking and finding the sweetspot? I suppose this might be useful.

I think every game I've played with auto-detect settings always does it wrong. It either sets it too high and plays like a slideshow or too low and I could easily bump it up and still get good framerates. If it has some of the more obscure tweaks built-in (like the various .ini tweaks you can do in certain games) it could be good though.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

The article says that manual tweaking will "of course" still be available, so this seems a straight upgrade to the regular auto-detect based on static rules. I would bet that, for most games, the vast majority of people never touch the video options if the game looks fine at default/autodetect settings.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
I also believe every game with auto-detect has gotten things wrong for me. Either way too high or way to low.

I love when a game auto-detects and gives me max settings on 1280x720 resolution when I run 2560x1600.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

averox posted:

I also believe every game with auto-detect has gotten things wrong for me. Either way too high or way to low.

I love when a game auto-detects and gives me max settings on 1280x720 resolution when I run 2560x1600.

I generally see too low more often that too high, especially with older games.

Whoops, don't recognize your video card! 640x480 16-bit colour for you.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

I'm looking for a stealth game where I can sneak around killing dudes silently (or not at all). I think I've exhausted all of them though. Elder scrolls games, splinter cell series, alpha protocol, thief series, hitman series, new batman series, etc. Dark Messiah was fun. Metro 2033 even with the stealth suit is frustrating at best.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
Deus Ex maybe?

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."

Burning Mustache posted:

Deus Ex maybe?

It's also currently on sale on Amazon for $7.

e: link http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht..._rd_i=979455011

Manac0r fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 29, 2012

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

RoryGilmore posted:

I'm looking for a stealth game where I can sneak around killing dudes silently (or not at all). I think I've exhausted all of them though. Elder scrolls games, splinter cell series, alpha protocol, thief series, hitman series, new batman series, etc. Dark Messiah was fun. Metro 2033 even with the stealth suit is frustrating at best.

Crysis 2? No, really.

e: The Dark Mod for Doom3.

tight aspirations fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 29, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

RoryGilmore posted:

I haven't played either of these games, but you might want to check out Death to Spies 1 and 2, and Velvet Assassin. As for something I actually have played, you might want to look into T2X: Shadows of the Metal Age, an unofficial 'expansion' campaign. It's extremely good. You're probably better off cheat-skipping the first level of it because it's kind of lame, but nothing but quality from there. Even the voice acting is pretty good for a mod, everything about it is at least on par with the best of Thief 2.

Vectorwulf
May 5, 2010

RoryGilmore posted:

Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines is another old but good option. Might have to check the thread for details on how to set it up to run on your system. But it has a decent stealth system, and some of the best RPG dialogue I've yet come across. :)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

RoryGilmore posted:

Deus Ex (both 1 and HR).

T2X: Shadows of the Metal Age, the unofficial Thief 2 expansion, if you haven't already played that.

VtM: Bloodlines, maybe. I remember there being some fairly lengthy mandatory combat sections, though.

Metal Gear Solid series; those aren't on PC but I'm pretty sure they all run in emulators these days. Might be hard to actually find a place that still has copies in stock, though.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Forgot to mention Deus Ex and VtM, but good examples of games I'm looking for. Crysis was okay for the humanoid portions but didn't feel as stealthy on the robot alien parts (part of the reason I disliked the second half of mgs4).

I've also played No One Lives Forever, that was sort of a good game. I'll try the others suggested.

Also thank you for not recommending Assassins Creed since some people seem to think it's like all of these games mentioned when it really isn't.

vvv They're lovely ports though aren't they?

spooky wizard fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 29, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ToxicFrog posted:

Metal Gear Solid series; those aren't on PC but I'm pretty sure they all run in emulators these days. Might be hard to actually find a place that still has copies in stock, though.

Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2 are both on PC, the Master Platform.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

E: it occurs to me that, if you liked stealth in the Elder Scrolls games, Fallout: New Vegas might be a good recommendation here; it uses pretty much the same stealth mechanics as Oblivion. I can't really comment on how well it plays as a stealth game overall, though, because I'm not a fan of ES-style stealth and all I ever used sneaking for in FONV was getting sneak attack criticals with my gauss rifle.

It's a great game in its own right, though, and I do know that there are a lot of quests you can resolve nonlethally by pickpocketing people.

RoryGilmore posted:

I've also played No One Lives Forever, that was sort of a good game. I'll try the others suggested.

poo poo, I forgot to even mention No-One Lives Forever. I have failed.

There was also a sequel (NOLF 2: A Spy In HARM's Way) that was pretty good, although I didn't like it as much as the original.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2 are both on PC, the Master Platform.

:doh: The best part is that I even have a Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions PC disc kicking around here somewhere.

I'm pretty sure The Twin Snakes never made it to PC, though, and I seem to recall that adding more options for nonlethal play (as well as lots of gratuitous backflipping). I know Snake Eater never did.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 29, 2012

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Vintersorg posted:

Little preview of the CryENGINE3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlSc5sInUZk

This is cool as hell.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm pretty sure The Twin Snakes never made it to PC, though, and I seem to recall that adding more options for nonlethal play (as well as lots of gratuitous backflipping). I know Snake Eater never did.

Snake Eater on PC would be so drat amazing. I love that game.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Death Himself posted:

Snake Eater on PC would be so drat amazing. I love that game.

I still haven't finished Snake Eater.

Got halfway through, got interrupted by school.

Came back, couldn't remember where I was, had to start over.

Friend got me Subsistence, had to start over playing that version.

And now I've retired my PS2 and moved to emulating all of my PS2 games, so I need to start over again. I'm never going to finish it, am I?

A smug sociopath
Feb 13, 2012

Unironically alpha.
I guess this would be the place to ask...
I found the original DVD of Prey at a local movie store for one euro, so I bought it to play on my laptop. Installed it and updated it with the 1.4 patch. The problem is, the performance is absolutely atrocious. With high settings, the frame rate fluctuates wildly between 15-30fps, with heavy stutter.
Now, this shouldn't happen. I'm running it at 720p with no AA and 4x AF. The laptops specs are: Core I7 2670QM, Geforce GT540M and 6gb of DDR3 RAM. Not cutting edge, but it destroys pretty much any game pre-2009, save for Crysis of course. I can't understand why Prey runs this drat bad. Am I missing something about it?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

NihilCredo posted:

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 free multiplayer weekend
Getting this to see if my gaming laptop could run it flipped the switch in my brain to make me wonder why the hell I tortured myself playing it on a console all this time. So that's a good thing I guess. I'm definitely back in the PC gaming camp now, at least for any competitive FPS.

How is CoD gaming in the PC world these days? I've seen the word "hacking" being thrown around a lot, is it that bad?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Roman posted:

How is CoD gaming in the PC world these days? I've seen the word "hacking" being thrown around a lot, is it that bad?

Awful, try and get yourself into the CS:GO beta if you want to get into the competitive PC FPS scene, it's being billed as the next big one. Helps if you have prior Counter-Strike experience.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

mcvey posted:

competitive PC FPS scene,
Note that I was just referring to "FPS games you play against other people", not any MLG PRO GAMER stuff. Actually the farther I can get away from those kind of players, the better. I'll still take anyone's extra CS:GO beta key though. :)

With all the good free-to-play stuff out there now, I probably won't have to bother paying for any more CODs anyway.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Roman posted:

Yes the hacking is awful. I've played about 10 hours of MW3, and while aimbots are pretty rare the wallhackers are rampant. There's plenty of other good FPS games worth playing that actually have a developer that gives a poo poo about them.

Mooch P.
Feb 12, 2001

Got two DOTA2 copies to gift on steam. Hit me up with a PM and i'll try to get it to ya. I'm on call for 24 hours so It will likely be a day. Is the CSGO beta survey still around? I think I missed the boat on trying to get into that. Still miss the good ol' days of CS.

-B l a z e i n g-
May 11, 2010
I think I answered all the poo poo wrong on the csgo survey because I didn't get a beta key

If anyone still wants a shot: steam://takesurvey/2/ (put that in the url bar)

-B l a z e i n g- fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 29, 2012

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Roman posted:

Just uninstalled the MW3 multiplayer after playing nine hours during the weekend, and yeah, having double-checked my experience with the MW3 thread regulars, it's pretty bad. There are whole game modes you ought to stay away from since they're ripe with hacks. I've found others (eg. Mercenary) where I never noticed any hack users, but it kinda sucks to have so much of the game effectively walled off.

On the "12 year old kids" front, it isn't quite as bad as I feared. You only have people throwing poo poo fits every few games, and very rarely with mics.

All in all, and considering that the SP campaign is infamous for being short and hilariously scripted, I think I would definitely buy MW3 for $10, possibly for $15, and maaaaybe for $20, but no more than that.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

blazeing w hitler posted:

I think I answered all the poo poo wrong on the csgo survey because I didn't get a beta key

If anyone still wants a shot: steam://takesurvey/2/ (put that in the url bar)

If you get it "right" do you get a key right away? It just said it added me to the pool of possible recipients.

I haven't played much CS the last few years especially since TF2 came out, but if GO can capture the feeling of classic but with the niceties of Source I could def. get back into it. Too bad it probably won't bring back the best CS thing, loading up all your buds into the deathtrap APC on cs_siege on a round where the T's didn't buy piercing weapons and running them over and actually winning

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

NihilCredo posted:

All in all, and considering that the SP campaign is infamous for being short and hilariously scripted, I think I would definitely buy MW3 for $10, possibly for $15, and maaaaybe for $20, but no more than that.
Yeah it looks like I'll Redbox Blops 2 for the campaign but that's it. I've been looking at CS:GO videos and it looks really good, plus it'll only be like $15 plus it's Valve who actually supports their products more than they probably have to.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

quote:

There are whole game modes you ought to stay away from since they're ripe with hacks. I've found others (eg. Mercenary) where I never noticed any hack users, but it kinda sucks to have so much of the game effectively walled off.

Before the free weekend, Mercenary would have a population of 30 or so even at peak times, making it impossible to play.

I think the best mode to play if you're not in a group and don't want to deal with hackers is Kill Confirmed.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

A smug sociopath posted:

I guess this would be the place to ask...
I found the original DVD of Prey at a local movie store for one euro, so I bought it to play on my laptop. Installed it and updated it with the 1.4 patch. The problem is, the performance is absolutely atrocious. With high settings, the frame rate fluctuates wildly between 15-30fps, with heavy stutter.
Now, this shouldn't happen. I'm running it at 720p with no AA and 4x AF. The laptops specs are: Core I7 2670QM, Geforce GT540M and 6gb of DDR3 RAM. Not cutting edge, but it destroys pretty much any game pre-2009, save for Crysis of course. I can't understand why Prey runs this drat bad. Am I missing something about it?

That's weird. Are your graphics drivers up-to-date? I thought PRey just ran on the Doom 3 engine

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

NihilCredo posted:

The article says that manual tweaking will "of course" still be available, so this seems a straight upgrade to the regular auto-detect based on static rules. I would bet that, for most games, the vast majority of people never touch the video options if the game looks fine at default/autodetect settings.

The only way this would be useful to me would be if it had a "hit the target framerate by any means necessary" stress test that actually worked. Everyone has different standards of what constitutes acceptable performance anyways.

(And if it's less than a stable 60 FPS you're a freak and a heretic. :colbert:)

But yeah, I imagine it'll be great for people who don't actually like messing with graphics settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Everyone has different standards of what constitutes acceptable performance anyways.
(And if it's less than a stable 60 FPS you're a freak and a heretic. :colbert:
I remember being like that, and then Crysis 1 came out. After days of tweaking and tinkering I was like "WOW, I'm getting 23 FPS now this is AWESOME!"

• Locked thread