Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I asked this some time back but didn't really get an answer, and now I'm wondering again and probably wording it better... what triggers an orgasm? I know all about the physiology of the orgasm itself, but what tells the body, "okay, start doing these muscle contractions and sending these endorphins and, depending on the person, ejecting fluid"?

To put another way: What determines the amount of touching on one particular area of your skin that causes the brain to fire off all of the above responses? I've looked around but I'm not sure anyone's done a study on this. I can't think of anything at all similar on the body.

There's also the subjective aspect, which confuses me. It's not simply an amount of touching in a particular area, it's how much you want it, how long it's been since it last happened, the particulars of the event itself, etc. I really can't think of any other bodily process that's based on the person's subjectivity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Golbez posted:

To put another way: What determines the amount of touching on one particular area of your skin that causes the brain to fire off all of the above responses? I've looked around but I'm not sure anyone's done a study on this. I can't think of anything at all similar on the body.
Maybe similar to sneezing? There's a trigger that happens in your brain once your body decides there's enough irritants in your nose.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Maybe similar to sneezing? There's a trigger that happens in your brain once your body decides there's enough irritants in your nose.

Aha, true, and I know orgasms are compared to sneezes in that way. And sneezes can be helped along by you wanting them, trying for them, etc.

Still, there's an intangible aspect to it. For example, you haven't sneezed for a long time and were just staring at the most beautiful sneeze in the world drop to her knees naked in front of you, you aren't going to sneeze harder and faster than you ever have in your life. Yet orgasm works that way.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That's not exactly a small question. At best you might get a more detailed answer in the sex thread; at worst you'll get told that it's an area of active research that no one really understands yet.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
I am having intermittent internet connection problems.

I am connected to my house network, so at first I naturally assumed it was my cable modem. However, when I unplug from the router, and directly connect to the cable modem there is no issue with connection. If it was a problem with the router how come all wireless devices and my desktop can connect to the local network at least?

How do I narrow down which piece of hardware I should replace?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

CatchrNdRy posted:

I am having intermittent internet connection problems.

I am connected to my house network, so at first I naturally assumed it was my cable modem. However, when I unplug from the router, and directly connect to the cable modem there is no issue with connection. If it was a problem with the router how come all wireless devices and my desktop can connect to the local network at least?

How do I narrow down which piece of hardware I should replace?

If your modem is solid, and all your devices are intermittently getting crapped on it's your router taking intermittent craps. Is it overheating? Do you live in a apt/neighborhood where you see a lot of other people's networks? You can try inSSIDer to see if your signal is getting stomped on by your neighbors routers and then see if there's a frequency you can switch to that's cleaner.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Best simple video editing software (paid or free) for Windows? Just hashing clips together, music, slowing down, speeding up, etc.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Windows movie maker is free, if you are literally just doing the stuff you mentioned it's perfectly acceptable.

I don't know if there's any video file type issues, but if it's finicky you can convert everything using MPEG stream clip, which is also free.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I have my old World of Warcraft game boxes lying around, and I don't play the game anymore. Those are just trash, right? There's no feasible way to sell the box?

edit: I should note these aren't just empty boxes but like... the total thing you'd buy from retail. Box/cds/instruction manuals/everything.

the fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 28, 2012

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Couple of Audacity (ver 1.2.6) questions:

1. How do I make something sound like it's far away?

2. How do I make speech sound like it's coming over an old landline telephone?

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
I have a really retarded Facebook question.

I have it set so I have to approve photos I'm tagged in. Someone uploaded a photo and tagged me in it and other people already put a bunch of retarded comments on it. If I approve it will all the comments show up on my page too? I just want the photo haha.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

razz posted:

I have a really retarded Facebook question.

I have it set so I have to approve photos I'm tagged in. Someone uploaded a photo and tagged me in it and other people already put a bunch of retarded comments on it. If I approve it will all the comments show up on my page too? I just want the photo haha.
Probably. You could just save the photo and post it yourself. But those people might get confused and come make the same retarded comments again v:shobon:v

Avoiding retardedness on facebook is pretty much a Sisyphean task; best to just roll with it.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

If questions like these have already been answered or are best for another thread, I apologize. Someone let me know and I'll gladly refer to the right place.

I recently got a job that required a move to a new city an hour and a half or so away on relatively short notice. I didn't have a bunch of time to hunt for places to live, but luckily I found this really cheap "studio," which is really a bed, kitchen and bath in a really big old house converted into rental units. It's cheap as balls, in a great location and I like the homey feel, but it is drafty and has an ant problem.

I've consulted knowledgable friends and the internet, all of which told me to get Terro ant traps, (the stuff the ants take back to the colony, where it kills all of them.) I've invested in a tube of that and I'll place it tonight or tomorrow, but my stupid/small question is are there any ways to take care of the little drafts so my utility bill doesn't blow in the winter and creepy crawlies find it harder to get into my pad? I'm hoping for something cheap (it's a rental, after all,) and easy (I'm not handy in the least.)

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
If you know where the drafts are coming from you can get some weather stripping pretty cheap and run it along wherever the air is getting in.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

randyest posted:

Probably. You could just save the photo and post it yourself. But those people might get confused and come make the same retarded comments again v:shobon:v

Avoiding retardedness on facebook is pretty much a Sisyphean task; best to just roll with it.

Yeah that's what I figured. I try to keep my facebook fairly PG for work reasons but that's hard to do with the kind of friends I have haha.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

If you know where the drafts are coming from you can get some weather stripping pretty cheap and run it along wherever the air is getting in.

My exterior doors and one of my windows don't have a very good seal so I figured I'd get some stripping for those. I know there are other drafts probably along the floorboard as a walk around the outside of my unit showed ants crawling up between the foundation and the siding, I'm just not sure where to start. My mom has one of those infrared heat sensor wand things you can shoot at spots in your house and it gives you a temperature reading, so I guess I could borrow that if/when I visit home next. Thanks.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Is there anyway to change how Windows 7 explorer works, as far as sorting and listing files goes? I really hate how it keeps the folders at the top when you sort by date or size or anything. One thing I like about Macs is how it lists folders and files together and doesn't separate them. Is there any free application you can use to do that?

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Mister Kingdom posted:

I can't think of a good way to answer 1, but for 2 you just select your speech, choose Equalization from your Effects menu, and drop all the frequencies except between 1k and 3k (or in that area, you can play with it to get it right). It's not a perfect simulation, but Audacity is a bit harder to use than Logic once you get past the basics.

Dirp
May 16, 2007
I finally met my Chinese neighbors (I have lived in this apartment for almost 9 months now and have never even seen them in passing) and they gave me alot of insanely spicy beef jerky straight from China as a gift. What are some strictly American snacks I can give to them to return the favor?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Dirp posted:

I finally met my Chinese neighbors (I have lived in this apartment for almost 9 months now and have never even seen them in passing) and they gave me alot of insanely spicy beef jerky straight from China as a gift. What are some strictly American snacks I can give to them to return the favor?

As a foreigner living in the states, that's sort of a hard question. Things I've only seen here:

-hersheys (eeeu)
-jerky
-bbq meat (like, a pulled pork sandwich with bbq sauce)
-cheese-steak

Everything else that is good is available everywhere else (Fried chicken, pizza, real chocolate, etc).

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Dirp posted:

Whoopie pies, licorice, local specialty foods, apple cider...

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Dirp posted:

Does salsa count? I'm an American living overseas and good salsa is definitely the snack food I miss the most.

You can really only find root beer in the states, most non-Americans don't really care for it though. Most everything American has either been imported from or exported to other places. The only stuff I can think of that hasn't been mentioned would need to be prepared or bought at a restaurant.

edit: You could pick up a pie somewhere. You don't see a lot of fruit-filled pies outside North America so just about anything would do.

AKA Pseudonym fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 29, 2012

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Dirp posted:

Given that they're in the U.S. now it probably won't be as exotic. Bringing them a pie or cake or something would be good though.

People outside of the U.S. (and Canada I assume) don't really do peanut butter, but they don't really like it, either. Freaks. :911:

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Mister Kingdom posted:

1. Slightly reduce volume, relative to distance and EQ out some of the low frequency and add a slight reverb, depending on perceived distance.

2. http://www.vstplanet.com/Other_audio_tools/Other_3.htm

Clockwork Sputnik fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 29, 2012

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

1. Slightly reduce volume, relative to distance and EQ out some of the low frequency and add a slight reverb, depending on perceived distance.

2. http://www.vstplanet.com/Other_audio_tools/Other_3.htm

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Butt Wizard posted:

Given that they're in the U.S. now it probably won't be as exotic. Bringing them a pie or cake or something would be good though.

People outside of the U.S. (and Canada I assume) don't really do peanut butter, but they don't really like it, either. Freaks. :911:

You are so wrong about peanut butter.

About the Chinese neighbours: a nice US-made bourbon, bottle of California wine or a selection of local microbrews would make for a great gift. If they drink, and giving alcohol isn't offensive in your culture, that is.

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009

Butt Wizard posted:

I've been living in Denmark my whole life and just last month i discovered, and subsequently fell in love with, peanut butter. I had tried the smooth kind a few times before, and it didn't really do anything for me, but chuncky peanut butter is like sex in my mouth. It is so amazing.

Thank you, America :911:

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I don't even know what root beer tastes like. Is Dr Pepper a root beer? I hate Dr Pepper.

It's just occured to me now, what kind of name for a soft drink is "Dr Pepper"?

Hoops fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 29, 2012

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Hoops posted:

I don't even know what root beer tastes like. Is Dr Pepper a root beer? I hate Dr Pepper.

It's just occured to me know, what kind of name for a soft drink is "Dr Pepper"?
If you've never had it before, it will probably taste like mouthwash.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Hoops posted:

Tastes like sarsaparilla fyi.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

If you've never had it before, it will probably taste like mouthwash.
When I first tried it, it tasted kind of like a mixture of mouthwash, Pepsi, and licorice.

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

Hoops posted:

It's just occured to me now, what kind of name for a soft drink is "Dr Pepper"?

Dr.Pepper is awesome and your mouth is broken.

But anyway:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr.Pepper#Name
"Like many early sodas, the drink was marketed as a brain tonic and energizing pick-me-up, so another theory holds that it was named for the pep it supposedly gave to users." I Think its kind of interesting how sodas were marketed as a brain tonic back in the day. Anyway the wiki basically says "noone really knows"

And root beer has kind of a liquorice taste, and I don't think it's similar to dr.pepper at all besides them both being dark sodas. You should try it and report back. :)

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Blooshoo posted:

But anyway:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr.Pepper#Name
"Like many early sodas, the drink was marketed as a brain tonic and energizing pick-me-up, so another theory holds that it was named for the pep it supposedly gave to users." I Think its kind of interesting how sodas were marketed as a brain tonic back in the day. Anyway the wiki basically says "noone really knows"

I heard from an old book of random facts that the creator of Dr Pepper was in love with the daughter of one Dr. Charles Pepper, a drug store owner from Virginia. He later moved away and opened his own drug store, where he made a new kind of soft drink. People suggested he name it after the old drug store owner, in the hopes that it would gain his favor. Don't know if it's true, but it sounds plausible enough.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
How do I stop Word from doing this?

If I start a new paragraph towards the end of the page, it ends up skipping to the next page and leaving too much space.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

Xandu posted:

How do I stop Word from doing this?

If I start a new paragraph towards the end of the page, it ends up skipping to the next page and leaving too much space.

I'm having a hell of a time trying to find it in Word 2007 but that's called widows and orphans and I am still looking for something definite. Does the little lightning bolt formatting thing pop up when it divides there? If so, that is usually your shortcut to correcting formatting sorcery that Word does without your blessing.

Edit: Ah, glad to have helped somehow. I am old enough to have learned about archaic formatting terms in keyboarding class in ninth grade, and old-fashioned enough to still put two spaces after a period. :)

Liebfraumilch fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 29, 2012

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
No formatting thing, but that helped. There's a setting under Format -> Paragraph for widows and orphans control. It's not the most intuitive name for it.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Xandu posted:

No formatting thing, but that helped. There's a setting under Format -> Paragraph for widows and orphans control. It's not the most intuitive name for it.

Perhaps not, but that's what they've been called since forever. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widows_and_orphans

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I think it's a decent name. They are, after all, orphaned paragraphs, cut off from their family (same for widows). It's sensible enough for me.

They also bug the hell out of me, just because they look terrible.

Weltschmerz
Sep 26, 2008

I have a large garden and we currently burn our leaves to get rid of them. It hurts to even type that. I realised how backwards that is but I am not sure how I can easily compost all the organic waste. There are branches, too... The issue is with snakes and such. I don't have a dumpster-sized container or anything, and even then how would I stir it up to add air, blah blah. It's hard enough to gather all of it in one place. Any simple, cost effective alternatives to burning leaves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Weltschmerz posted:

I have a large garden and we currently burn our leaves to get rid of them. It hurts to even type that. I realised how backwards that is but I am not sure how I can easily compost all the organic waste. There are branches, too... The issue is with snakes and such. I don't have a dumpster-sized container or anything, and even then how would I stir it up to add air, blah blah. It's hard enough to gather all of it in one place. Any simple, cost effective alternatives to burning leaves?

Get a cheap composter. You toss everything in, roll it around. It's basically a barrel with a handle on a stand. You can use it forever, so it's pretty cost-effective.

My sister is an artist but not super technical. She wants to make a nice, professional-looking art site by herself and uses Indexhibit right now, because that's apparently what everyone at MICA uses. I think it's a buggy piece of poo poo filled with security holes.

What are some other decent frameworks for an artist who's not very technical?