Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Is there an editor for my IMPs? I've picked the same portrait for 2 of them and it's driving me INSANE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
Goddammmmit where the hell do you get trigger groups? Are they just hella rare? I'm at coolness 9, have AM Rifles available for purchase at Bobby's, but have never seen a trigger group there, used, new, or even at Tony's.

Am I getting RNG hosed or is it a recipe item in 1.13?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

hairrorist posted:

Goddammmmit where the hell do you get trigger groups? Are they just hella rare? I'm at coolness 9, have AM Rifles available for purchase at Bobby's, but have never seen a trigger group there, used, new, or even at Tony's.

Am I getting RNG hosed or is it a recipe item in 1.13?

I'm not even sure if they're in regular 1.13 at all, they used to be a 1.13 Wildfire thing only. And if they're in, they might be flagged as sci-fi items and you might have picked non-sci-fi in the game options I'd presume.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

I'm pretty sure regular 1.13 has them, but yeah, they're sci-fi items.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
That'd be it. I've asked before, but is there a list of combineable items for 1.13 or are there no new recipes?

Baytor
Oct 4, 2010

Well, never mind! Commando missions are much more fun than girls anyway!
The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are:

Copper wire + watch = timed detonator
Alcohol + rag = molotov
Knife + T-shirt = rag

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

midge posted:

I know this thread has already seen it's share of posts about this, I can't get over just HOW bad it really is.

Which is a shame since it'll discourage other developers from doing the same only doing a good job of it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

MadJackMcJack posted:

Which is a shame since it'll discourage other developers from doing the same only doing a good job of it.

I wish it had been a kickstarter project and had 20 thousand backers telling the devs not to do all the stupid poo poo they did.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Baytor posted:

Alcohol + rag = molotov
Knife + T-shirt = rag

Pocket knife (the swiss army one) + lameboy = display unit (or maybe just the display, needs a copper wire to be a unit)
Pocket knife + portable TV = fumble pack

Foehammer fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 10, 2012

Clovis Sangrail
Feb 18, 2011
edit: nvm, it's taken care of.

But still, is it possible to remove Jubilee from Urban Chaos (as well as "Morgan" and that other new female merc ((what the hell are they even supposed to be?))

Clovis Sangrail fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 12, 2012

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
Anyone play 7.62 with the Blue Sun mod? I'm trying to find something that compares to JA2 since BiA was so terrible. I tried 7.62 a while ago vanilla and it had a neat combat system but was way too buggy and unfinished to be real fun.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Baytor posted:

Alcohol + rag = molotov

Add oil to the Alcohol for a bigger boom! :science:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

hairrorist posted:

Anyone play 7.62 with the Blue Sun mod? I'm trying to find something that compares to JA2 since BiA was so terrible. I tried 7.62 a while ago vanilla and it had a neat combat system but was way too buggy and unfinished to be real fun.

Similar, but different. BSM lets you change thingd up fairly easily, and has all kindsa poorly written fuckin instructions and poo poo. But the actual combat is way awesome. The middling bits can be weird a gently caress.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.
Back in Action has released version "1.13" and I can't decide if that name is a chagrinned admission that "yeah, it should have been this way all along" or a deluded attempt to pass it off as being as good as JA2 1.13.

http://www.jaggedalliance.com/en/al...80%9D/#more-846

In short, they added a bunch of features that should have been there to start with, like fog of war and sector inventory.

So, I guess they're listening to fans and trying to make this less of a phoned-in license cash-in? Maybe?

I haven't played BIA yet, but if they keep on improving it or make it moddable, it would be worth buying it on sale.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If they'd timed this with the Steam sale they had a couple of weeks back I might have bitten.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Alchenar posted:

If they'd timed this with the Steam sale they had a couple of weeks back I might have bitten.

I would bet good money that it will be on sale during the Summer Sale (which should be like two months away now).

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Baytor posted:

Alcohol + rag = molotov
Knife + T-shirt = rag

If you're playing it with the AIMNAS mod, don't forget to add the fifty million variations on the theme of 'IED', including 'Jar+Marbles+Shaped Charge=Improvised Grenade', 'any grenade+gum=booby-trap version of that grenade' and everyone's favorite 'oil+gasoline+molotov cocktail=hilariously massive incendiary bomb'. Seriously, experimenting with different types of IEDs is half the fun of that mod.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Didn't the original JA let you combine gasoline and mustard gas grenades to make what amounted to WMDs? :supaburn:

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
I think that was Deadly Games, and you could combine gasoline and ANY kind of grenade to make a variety of WMDs! :supaburn::hf::science:

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

SavageMessiah posted:

I think that was Deadly Games, and you could combine gasoline and ANY kind of grenade to make a variety of WMDs! :supaburn::hf::science:
Nope. Gasoline could only be used with oil, bottle and rag to make a molotov cocktail.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

In JA1, you could combine gas, oil, and a rag with any grenade and it turned it into a super-charged "Eagle" version of the grenade:

quote:

Eagle Fearball: Gas + Oil + Rag + Grenade. Must install like an Explosive.
Double Grenade effect.

Eagle Screamer: Gas + Oil + Rag + Tear Gas. Must install like Explosive.
Double Tear Gas effect.

Eagle Silencer: Gas + Oil + Rag + Stun Grenade. Must install like Explosive.
Double Stun Grenade effect.

Eagle Dog: Gas + Oil + Rag + Mustard Gas. Must install like Explosive.
Double Mustard Gas effect.

From http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/565057-jagged-alliance/faqs/2091

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

sean10mm posted:

Didn't the original JA let you combine gasoline and mustard gas grenades to make what amounted to WMDs? :supaburn:

This is insanely effective when you want to enter a room full of dudes. With names like eagle fearball it's strange that the game wasn't developed in Japan.

After finally beating JA2 1.13, I then went on to play and beat the original. The second one is a better game, but the first has this pick-up and play, instant gratification appeal for me. It would make the perfect game for a portable console these days.

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 09:19 on May 5, 2012

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

I didn't like the way the strategic campaign was implemented in JA1 that much. I didn't like the complete rarity of weapons, and the shady Irish rip-off merchant introduce in JA:DG was strangely gratifying.

Plus, Gus Tarballs!

edit - playable in JA:DG, I mean. I think...

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

I haven't played BIA yet, but if they keep on improving it or make it moddable, it would be worth buying it on sale.

I played it pre-patch, and it's actually a fun game. Looking forwards to playing it again with fog of war, though. There was no reason for that not to be there on release.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

God Of Paradise posted:

After finally beating JA2 1.13, I then went on to play and beat the original. The second one is a better game, but the first has this pick-up and play, instant gratification appeal for me. It would make the perfect game for a portable console these days.

There is a Jagged Alliance DS, it's pretty much just a direct port of the first game with a few minor differences.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

God Of Paradise posted:

This is insanely effective when you want to enter a room full of dudes. With names like eagle fearball it's strange that the game wasn't developed in Japan.

JA1 is on the DS. It's somewhat censored but still an awesome game.

EDIT: Should read the entire thread before posting.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
What's the thing that keeps my goddamn mercs from hitting anything? I don't care how realistic my SWAT sniper not hitting an enemy literally in front of her while sprinting is, the fact the same enemy manages to severely wound her and two Spetsnaz members is not fun. :qq:

In other news, I thought BIA was always moddable? Sad to hear there's no Elliot scenes, though.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

JackMackerel posted:

What's the thing that keeps my goddamn mercs from hitting anything? I don't care how realistic my SWAT sniper not hitting an enemy literally in front of her while sprinting is, the fact the same enemy manages to severely wound her and two Spetsnaz members is not fun. :qq:

In other news, I thought BIA was always moddable? Sad to hear there's no Elliot scenes, though.
I think scopes generally result in severely lowered accuracy in short range shooting, so if it's a sniper that's probably it. Also remember that you can spend more AP to tighten your aim, you have an equal chance of hitting any spot in the aiming circle so you want it as small as possible. All of this is in the OP.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
I just started my annual JA2 playthrough and installed the most recent version of v1.13.
gently caress me, did this game got harder? Guns always jamming on me, mercs can't aim for poo poo, AI is smart as gently caress.

It's just beautiful :allears:

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
Okay correct me if I'm wrong but after readying the gun with L after looking in that direction. You just right click on the enemy you want to aim at to make the reticule go smaller.

Or is there something else I'm missing for aiming? Because even with 85 marksmanship, MP5s and fully readied and aimed my mercs can hardly hit fuckers from 25 tiles away or so.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Dotcom656 posted:

Okay correct me if I'm wrong but after readying the gun with L after looking in that direction. You just right click on the enemy you want to aim at to make the reticule go smaller.

Or is there something else I'm missing for aiming? Because even with 85 marksmanship, MP5s and fully readied and aimed my mercs can hardly hit fuckers from 25 tiles away or so.

Using NCTH (new chance to hit), all your weapons will be pretty miserable on single shot without scopes (put a 2x or 4x on all guns at a minimum). However, NCTH does burst and auto-fire pretty drat well. Use your mouse wheel to adjust aim level.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Dotcom656 posted:

Dunno if my controls are different from default, but for me mousewheel manages the reticule and right-click manages number of bullets fired in full auto mode.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
Alright I guess I'll wait till I get some scope drops. (The OP said to leave enemies drop all disabled for 1.13) So I guess I'll use some burst fire and full auto to put guys down.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Dotcom656 posted:

Alright I guess I'll wait till I get some scope drops. (The OP said to leave enemies drop all disabled for 1.13) So I guess I'll use some burst fire and full auto to put guys down.

The difference between an assault rifle with/without a 4x ACOG is ridiculous. Just for fun, hire Reaper & Scully on day 1 and compare performance.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I patched the game a month or two back to improve aiming without scopes. In my version, if you aim more than 2 clicks without a scope, you get a magnification factor equal to half of your clicks. So 3 clicks = 1.5x magnification, 6 = 3x, etc. Just put it in the JA2 folder and run it instead of the regular executable (assuming you have version 4870 already). It would be great to get some feedback on it!

Get it here

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
bionic eyes, nice.

x!te bike
May 2, 2008

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

bionic eyes, nice.

Post/av combo. Also it's not really giving the mercs bionic eyes if they were myopic to begin with.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
Yeah, I hate this avatar but GiP does what it does. I'm for the patch though, because the disparity between scope/no scope is/was pretty bad

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
Can someone explain to me what the zippers under the backpack slot mean when in tactical view? I'm trying to get to someone's med kit in there but it's grayed out. And last time I tried those buttons I ended up dropping the backpack on the ground entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yomisei
Mar 18, 2011

Dotcom656 posted:

Can someone explain to me what the zippers under the backpack slot mean when in tactical view? I'm trying to get to someone's med kit in there but it's grayed out. And last time I tried those buttons I ended up dropping the backpack on the ground entirely.

One button is for dropping the backpack on the ground, which removes the 50% extra AP for movement when carrying one in combat, the other one is for picking it up again if you're close enough. The contents of backpacks aren't usable in combat, that's why they're grayed out.