Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

StyleFresh posted:

Hey Bay Area hockey goons, PM me if any of you want my contact info to possibly sub for your team in Fremont/Oakland/SJ! I was super busy and didn't get the chance to find a team for the start of the Summer season.

I threw my name on the Free Agent list over in Oakland and the only teams looking for players are a Silver B and a Silver C team, one saying I won't have to pay. Had my first ever league game on Thursday and got a goal and a couple of assists but I was wearing the same number as one of the regulars and the ref missed my secondary so I was only credited with one assist. :(

The team had lots of problems with 2-on-1s developing from their breakouts and we ended up losing but the best parts of my night were my super sick deke goal and when we had our goalie pulled, I was the extra man and got to play the Holmstrom game for the last few minutes in front of the goalie after getting the puck to our D.

Anyway, that Silver B team could do with another paying member or just people they can call if they need players if anyone is interested. Sounded like a lot of their players have other stuff going on and can't play.

StyleFresh fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
So last week my buddy threw a gloves-off punch and didn't get suspended. The refs decided it was 'justified'. It's a no-hitting league(obviously) and this one guy on the other team had a bunch of iffy knee-on-knee collisions throughout the game. with 5 minutes left my buddy is flying through the neutral zone, and just as he crosses the blue line, this happens (almost identical - i swear my buddy got more hang time though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwxTrxESWjI

All hell broke loose, enough that they just called the game. The guy who threw the knee got suspended a few games and a guy who jumped off the bench an d started throwing punches, then started shoving referees around on their team is banned from the rink for life. Good times, good times.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I've been trying to get on a team at a rink closer to my house and when I registered as a free agent the league director told me to check the boxes on both the "lower" C (lowest league) and "Upper" C so I'd have a better chance of getting on a roster. I'd much rather play in the lower league but I've been playing in a "mixed C" league at another rink so I figure I can at least keep up in the upper c and not be totally worthless. Now he's stuck me on a "Lower B" team, what the hell?

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.

StyleFresh posted:

:words:
and more

I'm envious that there's so much hockey down there in the South Bay...so many levels to play at. drat.

Here theres like 4 teams in gold, 7 in silver, and 7 in bronze. Yay North Bay.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I have had a very frustrating afternoon. Where I grew up (a stones throw from the Meadowlands), you could go to any big name sporting goods store in ANY weather and find a huge amount of hockey gear. I didn't expect to have the kind of displays I saw back home, but there are several national chains where I live now.

I went to all of them, and they all laughed in my face when I asked if they even carried hockey gear. They all offered to order online for me but there's loving no point in that if I have no idea what works for me.

I finally got smart and just started calling places, even the local sporting goods shops would at best have a few jerseys.

I finally, out of desperation, went to the muni rink where we do have a shop. I asked a few of the hockey guys there and the answer seems to be unanimous. Either buy from the pro shop at the rink, the pro shop at the rink in the city next to ours, or buy online.

I'm about a hair's breadth away from just driving the two hours to Nashville in hopes that they have the loving sense God gave a flea and have SOME store that has hockey gear.

I know I'm in a town that's not hockey crazy, but it has a minor league team, several youth leagues, and adult leagues. You'd think ONE loving place would cater to hockey players.

/rant

Thufir
May 19, 2004

JetsGuy posted:

I have had a very frustrating afternoon. Where I grew up (a stones throw from the Meadowlands), you could go to any big name sporting goods store in ANY weather and find a huge amount of hockey gear. I didn't expect to have the kind of displays I saw back home, but there are several national chains where I live now.

I went to all of them, and they all laughed in my face when I asked if they even carried hockey gear. They all offered to order online for me but there's loving no point in that if I have no idea what works for me.

I finally got smart and just started calling places, even the local sporting goods shops would at best have a few jerseys.

I finally, out of desperation, went to the muni rink where we do have a shop. I asked a few of the hockey guys there and the answer seems to be unanimous. Either buy from the pro shop at the rink, the pro shop at the rink in the city next to ours, or buy online.

I'm about a hair's breadth away from just driving the two hours to Nashville in hopes that they have the loving sense God gave a flea and have SOME store that has hockey gear.

I know I'm in a town that's not hockey crazy, but it has a minor league team, several youth leagues, and adult leagues. You'd think ONE loving place would cater to hockey players.

/rant

Hey, Nashville does have a couple stores that carry hockey gear:

Hockey Plus at the Centennial rink is pretty good but a little expensive, might call ahead if you're looking for something specific: http://www.facebook.com/hockeyplus

There's a new store in Cool Springs that is supposed to be pretty good but I haven't been there: http://www.miracle-hockey.com/

And the Play It Again Sports on White Bridge Road has some hockey stuff but a pretty lovely selection.

Also there's a pro shop at the rink in Cool Springs but it is kind of lovely.

That said, I get most of my stuff online. You can probably safely get everything but skates that way. I recommend https://www.icewarehouse.com

Are you in Knoxville?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Since I think he's a first time skate buyer, a place that has the most helpful staff is probably paramount.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I bought my first pair of skates at the Hockey Plus place and the owner, Kevin, was pretty helpful. There's also another dude that works there named Jamie who is pretty knowledgeable. They throw in baking and your first sharpening if you get skates there.

No idea about the Miracle place but I've heard it's decent.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Thanks for the advice Thufir, I'm gonna check those places out when I get a chance to get up to Nashville!

Thufir posted:

Are you in Knoxville?

Good guess, but no. Huntsville.

EDIT: I'm also gonna see what the people at the rink shop here have. It seemed that all they had was $600+ skates when I went there.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
Anyone here scorekeep or ref? I need to pick up a second job and was thinking that they might be fun second jobs and I can get a discount on hockey.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

poser posted:

Anyone here scorekeep or ref? I need to pick up a second job and was thinking that they might be fun second jobs and I can get a discount on hockey.

I'm a ref. you wouldn't be able to start until next season (look for announcement about ref seminars in August-ish)

Basically how it works around here (you'd be joining the same local association I'm in) is you get your USA Hockey certification, level 1 to start (register and take open book test online), then attend a day long seminar held by the local association that includes skating assessment and on ice skills session. Once you do these two things and USA Hockey confirms both, you enter your availability on the website and they assign you games appropriate to your level at whatever rinks you say you can work.

The site where you need to watch for seminar info is http://www.ihonc-ca.com

Pay is decent for the work, basically for me it pays for me to play hockey and buy gear but my availability isn't great because of school.

Most scorekeepers are rink employees so that's a whole different ballgame. It is super boring lol

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Any of you Nashville or TN goons know about the hockey scene in Jackson? I might be moving there for a summer job and would like to play as much as possible.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Lawnie posted:

Any of you Nashville or TN goons know about the hockey scene in Jackson? I might be moving there for a summer job and would like to play as much as possible.

I don't think there's any ice anywhere near there. Looks like there's at least one outdoor roller rink though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thufir posted:

I don't think there's any ice anywhere near there. Looks like there's at least one outdoor roller rink though.

Quick google says there's a rink up in Medina!

edit - which is right next to an ammunition plant. Sounds exciting!

Thufir
May 19, 2004

xzzy posted:

I don't think it's actually ice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5Akf8PXqgw

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Well gently caress. I guess it won't be all that different from the steel mill I might be at.

Yes it's like the simpsons

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I have to admit, all loving day I wanted to be on the ice. Even while I was drinking tonight, I wanted to be on the ice...

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

I need to get a new pair of hockey pants soon. Anyway, I tried a few different pairs on a few months ago and most of the pairs I tried on felt really boxy and awkward. This was with a few different brands too (Easton, Bauer Supremes and CCMs). Is this an intentional design decision or is it just that they don't fit me right? The Reebok ones I tried on felt like they fit a lot... tighter maybe? They seemed to be more form fitting and it didn't feel as awkward walking or moving around in them, but I'm not sure how the boxy-ness or form-fittingness translate to how they fit while actually skating.

For reference I have an ancient pair of Koho pants that someone gave me at stick time one time because he was getting new ones. They're comfy but they have like no actual protection and I've gotten bruised hips quite a few times from random stuff.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

poser posted:

Be prepared for 2 years of being a linesman at mite - peewee games before you can touch anything higher level. I didn't find the experience worthwhile -- the kids were awesome but the parents and coaches made it terrible.

It's also a lot harder than it looks, especially at lower levels where the kids don't do what you would expect and it messes with your flow of the game.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Look Around You posted:

I need to get a new pair of hockey pants soon. Anyway, I tried a few different pairs on a few months ago and most of the pairs I tried on felt really boxy and awkward. This was with a few different brands too (Easton, Bauer Supremes and CCMs). Is this an intentional design decision or is it just that they don't fit me right? The Reebok ones I tried on felt like they fit a lot... tighter maybe? They seemed to be more form fitting and it didn't feel as awkward walking or moving around in them, but I'm not sure how the boxy-ness or form-fittingness translate to how they fit while actually skating.

For reference I have an ancient pair of Koho pants that someone gave me at stick time one time because he was getting new ones. They're comfy but they have like no actual protection and I've gotten bruised hips quite a few times from random stuff.
Have you ever tried a girdle/shell combo? I use this girdle currently:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-hockey-pants-vapor-x-60-adaptable-core-sr.html

They're comfortable, light weight, and have a lot of protection, especially around the hips. The one that I have has velcro in a few different places including around the thighs, so they can be adjusted to fit to your liking. They generally are a snug fit to begin with, but it seems to be what you're going for.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Look Around You posted:

Bauer Vapors are I think less boxy than the Supremes

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"
Any of the Sharks Ice guys know when the postseason equipment sale is? I'm trying to swing a new lid.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

sellouts posted:

Be prepared for 2 years of being a linesman at mite - peewee games before you can touch anything higher level. I didn't find the experience worthwhile -- the kids were awesome but the parents and coaches made it terrible.

It's also a lot harder than it looks, especially at lower levels where the kids don't do what you would expect and it messes with your flow of the game.

I've gotten to line and ref some higher level games, even though it was my first year. But that might be because I'm one of the very few refs we have with my particular rink as a home rink. It's me and a bunch of guys who played on the UCDavis college team, essentially. And a lot of them just started this year too. You're probably right in that poser would end up with more lower level games though - a lot of the refs are from the South Bay/SJ area.

And I 100% agree with the second part. It is much harder than it looks. I've said it here before but I give refs a whole lot less poo poo now than I used to.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Parents are why I quit officiating. I was 16 when I was doing it and didn't have a very thick skin back then.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Maybe it's just SoCal where there are pretty strict rules as to what level you can officiate. USA Hockey lets you level up at the beginning of each season and I think you needed to be level 3 before you got to bantam. The rules here for adult league also wanted 2 years of experience.

And yeah, parents are why I quit as well.

But not to discourage you, if you want a pair of officials pants mine are still in good condition and I'll sell em real cheap!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Parents are literally the worst thing about hockey. One of my in-laws coaches kids teams and I used to enjoy going to his games, it's fun to watch little kids play hockey especially since you can just walk in and not have to pay anything.

But you get the stands full of screaming parents and it's just :ughh:

So I don't watch kids play hockey anymore. I hit a threshold where I couldn't take it anymore and stopped going.

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

Are black skates really required to ref or is that just a casual guideline? I'd be interested in reffing some games for fun/$$$ but I wouldn't buy a second pair of skates for it when I already have Vapors.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I think Vapors would be acceptable.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I went to the local shop at the muni rink today, and got myself sized up and bought a pair of Vapor X3.0 new for $180 total. They're gonna bake sharpen etc them for free too, so I figure it's a good deal since its about what hockey monkey wanted, and I get all the bells and whistles thrown in.

Yeah, they're not quite Vapor X40s, but they didn't carry them (they had 20s, 30s, and then 70s). The other option I looked at were the Supreme One60s, but apparently not even the warehouse had my size :(.

Anyway, they apparently arrive sometime this week. Excited!

Also got more ice time in. I'm getting more control on movement, but my heels start to kill me. Is this a good thing? Am I putting too much weight on the heel, or is it just my feet getting used to something new?

Also, when I get back from vaca, I need to buy some damned pads. My knees and elbows hurt.... a lot.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Also, I GOTTA get better at stopping. I was getting some good speed on the ice, but there were a lot of little kids around. Some little girl with one of those walker things stopped dead in front of me when I was right behind her and I spilled out getting around her.

I aint mad, because I surely was an ice hazard myself, but ouch.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

sellouts posted:

Maybe it's just SoCal where there are pretty strict rules as to what level you can officiate. USA Hockey lets you level up at the beginning of each season and I think you needed to be level 3 before you got to bantam. The rules here for adult league also wanted 2 years of experience.

They actually have those rules here too, but for whatever reason (I do think because of the lack of officials in my particular region of norcal) I was routinely assigned games higher than my level. You're probably right for poser, that he'd be doing a lot of linesman for Squirt B and such, since so many of the officials are from the Bay Area. Also, the association has its own ranking scheme based on experience + evaluations that determines what level you can work (the higher levels have USA Hockey levels associated with them as well, like to be a level 5 ref with our association you have to be level 3 with USA Hockey or whatever).

Technically as a level 1 I'm not supposed to referee above Squirt A or line above Peewee A, but I did quite a few Bantam A games both as a linesman and in a 2-man referee system, which theoretically should be level 3+. Yay for being in the middle of nowhere instead of the Bay Area, I guess. :v:

And you are supposed to wear black skates and white laces to ref, which was sad for me because I loved my bright laces. But "black skates" just means like, black as a primary color so Vapors are prob fine.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 29, 2012

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

brosef deluxe posted:

Any of the Sharks Ice guys know when the postseason equipment sale is? I'm trying to swing a new lid.

In June, after... oh crap:smith:

It was in May sometime last year but unless you have season tickets you wont be getting anything good.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Also, don't know if it's one of the advantages that comes with being a female official (trust me, there are very very few and a lot more drawbacks), but I next to never get poo poo on by coaches or parents when I do youth hockey. I've heard a lot more support from hockey parents (especially hockey moms) and coaches than criticisms, and the criticisms I've gotten from coaches at times have been appropriate for the most part. There was only one coach who I had an issue with, and he actually ended up apologizing after the game without me saying anything about it or anything. Adult hockey is a whole different ball of wax. I hate it.

Maybe this will change as I get into Tier games rather than A/B. The Tier II Midget girls' games that I did were a bit more intense.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

JetsGuy posted:

I went to the local shop at the muni rink today, and got myself sized up and bought a pair of Vapor X3.0 new for $180 total. They're gonna bake sharpen etc them for free too, so I figure it's a good deal since its about what hockey monkey wanted, and I get all the bells and whistles thrown in.

Yeah, they're not quite Vapor X40s, but they didn't carry them (they had 20s, 30s, and then 70s). The other option I looked at were the Supreme One60s, but apparently not even the warehouse had my size :(.

Anyway, they apparently arrive sometime this week. Excited!

Also got more ice time in. I'm getting more control on movement, but my heels start to kill me. Is this a good thing? Am I putting too much weight on the heel, or is it just my feet getting used to something new?

Also, when I get back from vaca, I need to buy some damned pads. My knees and elbows hurt.... a lot.

The 3.0s aren't too bad, although now I wish I had invested the extra cash and upgraded a model or two more. I decided to add superfeet to replace the stock footbed, which is kind of skimpy.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
In our roller hockey game last night we came back from 5-2 and won in the last minute 8-7.

They had a guy that kept throwing hits and playing rough, in the hand shake he purposefully pulled his hand away from mine, classy guy.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

EvilTwig posted:

The 3.0s aren't too bad, although now I wish I had invested the extra cash and upgraded a model or two more. I decided to add superfeet to replace the stock footbed, which is kind of skimpy.

I would have been happy to spend up to $300, which I told the clerk. The problem was that they had the lovely skates, the 200-230$ range and then the $600 ones. My thought process was that since it was going to cost up to another $100 to ship, bake and sharpen any set I bought online (or bought in Nashville just driving there). So in order to get the $300 level skates, I'd be spending $400 in the end, which is kinda outside where I wanna spend on skates atm.

I mean, I totally would have spring for the One60s, but they'd either be a half size too small or big, and even the skate pro guy said I probably didn't want that (even though they're more money). I actually appreciated that he didn't just go NO BUY THESE, because I was p up front with how little I knew about anything.

:dance: I am getting unreasonably excited about learning to play skate, I must say.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

D C posted:

They had a guy that kept throwing hits and playing rough, in the hand shake he purposefully pulled his hand away from mine, classy guy.
Any time I hear about/see this happen, I picture the first scene from this commercial and laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVHosYERMOY

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

poser posted:

In June, after... oh crap:smith:

It was in May sometime last year but unless you have season tickets you wont be getting anything good.

I can try to get you guys in with the season ticket holders if I end up going, or I can just pick up some extra poo poo and sell them at cost if I have money at the time.

Anyone that plays at a Sharks Ice rink (Oakland/SJ) know if they frown upon GoPro camera mounts in league? I'm sure the players do and I'd be avoiding high sticks and shots to the dome all night but my girlfriend bought me one because she never has work off to see me play and I want to make awesome highlight videos of me getting slashed set to 70s funk.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

D C posted:

In our roller hockey game last night we came back from 5-2 and won in the last minute 8-7.

This is literally one of the worst things anyone can do in hockey. It's completely disrespectful to the game. People who do this should be banned from all things hockey for life. Guys have tried to kill me out on the ice and I'd never pull my hand in the handshake.

Down 2-1 in a best of 5 series, we came back to win game 5 in double overtime after being down 3-0 10 minutes in to game 5. I scored the 2nd and 3rd goals to send it to OT and then had a clean breakaway to win it in double OT but couldn't score. After a rush back the other way I got a 1 on 1 and made a nice cut and got knee'd to draw the PP which we scored on.

About a month ago one of my teammates mentioned that I opened my wrists on my wrist shot and that's why a lot of my shots would miss wide right. I showed up to game 5 about half an hour early and worked on one shot: high slot, shooting far post. On the game tying goal I was wide open in the high slot... the shot went far post and in.

This capped off a dream season where I had the most goals in the league in both the regular season and playoffs (finished 3rd in points for both as well). I don't think I've been as high as 5th in the stats at any time, or ever finished a season in the top 10. I doubled all my career highs. (Playing forward for the first time obviously made a big difference)

Definitely the craziest hockey game I've been a part of. Against a team I've been rivals with for the 8 years I've played at the rink. I can't imagine how it must feel for them. Up 2-1 in the series and then 3-0 in game 5.

After the game, one of their players brought us a bottle of champagne that they had planned on drinking after the game if they won. Probably the classiest thing I've ever seen in beer league. This feels like when Iginla got all the Flames to come out of the dressing room and shake Linden's hand after his last NHL game... I can't hate these guys any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What's the proper response when a guy won't shake your hand? Snag his jersey right in the crest and slug him as hard as you can with your free hand? :v: