Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deliverator
Aug 8, 2000
you know i'm your Hiro
Hopefully I'm done buying poo poo for my new-to-me Tiger 1050. I think all I have left to do is figure out the wiring for the brake light built into the topcase.

The day I bought it, a few weeks ago:

As it looks today:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Needs more yellow neon stickers. :colbert:

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
So I bought a thing today. It has a battery but no start button, what the hell is up with that? Yamaha sure sucked at late 80's bikes. Stranger yet, it has two spots for oil - One on the motor, one under the tank. Dry sump maybe? Besides the front headlight cowl being cracked, it is in pretty decent shape.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

DefaultPeanut posted:

So I bought a thing today. It has a battery but no start button, what the hell is up with that? Yamaha sure sucked at late 80's bikes. Stranger yet, it has two spots for oil - One on the motor, one under the tank. Dry sump maybe? Besides the front headlight cowl being cracked, it is in pretty decent shape.

Hey man, I've personally never seen or messed with a TDR, and I don't know too much about 2t's, but are you sure one of those isn't transmission fluid and the other one is oil? I know it's an oil injected bike, and that makes way more sense.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

deliverator posted:

Hopefully I'm done buying poo poo for my new-to-me Tiger 1050. I think all I have left to do is figure out the wiring for the brake light built into the topcase.

As it looks today:

This is not something the Deliverator would drive. It doesn't even have provisions for cooking pizza.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

epix posted:

What keeps the bike from falling over? I see bungie cords and a piece of rope. Are they doing it?

Captain Pike fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 24, 2012

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Other than the straps on the backside between the bike and SUV?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

DefaultPeanut posted:

One for the gearbox, one for the oil injection. It has a kick start? The battery is there to power the lights when the engine is turning too slow to light them up all the way.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

clutchpuck posted:

One for the gearbox, one for the oil injection. It has a kick start? The battery is there to power the lights when the engine is turning too slow to light them up all the way.

;) I'm just messing with you all. Its a 89 TDR250 - a fairly rare bike for this side of the pond. It has been sitting for a good while and needs to have the carbs cleaned. I'm going to flush the old premix oil, fuel, trans oil, coolant and brakes.
The batter seems pretty dead, it may stay like that for a while. I think I finally have enough two strokes to start a thread.

DefaultPeanut fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 25, 2012

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

DefaultPeanut posted:

;) I'm just messing with you all. Its a 89 TDR250 - a fairly rare bike for this side of the pond. It has been sitting for a good while and needs to have the carbs cleaned. I'm going to flush the old premix oil, fuel, trans oil, coolant and brakes.
The batter seems pretty dead, it may stay like that for a while. I think I finally have enough two strokes to start a thread.

I don't know much about two strokes, but I didn't think they were odd enough to run off the stuff of waffles and cakes.
Or, alternatively, a misapplicated athlete.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Is it a street bike or a dual? Looks more streety but the high pipe says you should ford a creek.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

AncientTV posted:

I don't know much about two strokes, but I didn't think they were odd enough to run off the stuff of waffles and cakes.
Or, alternatively, a misapplicated athlete.

You don't mix at 1:1?

clutchpuck posted:

Is it a street bike or a dual? Looks more streety but the high pipe says you should ford a creek.

Both! It is the Ultimate Dual after all.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

deliverator posted:

As it looks today:

Personal opinion, take it with a grain of salt.

Love the yellow on the rims, not a fan of it on the bars around the engine.

A thin line following the contour of the seat and tank seam may look great. Hell, you could do it in EL wire.

Rancid Liverwurst
Jan 26, 2009
My Super Tenere in its element. Crappy road in the middle of nowhere:

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
Well I bought a b-king yesterday. Besides having an exceptionally squared off rear tire, it is in good shape and came with some quality farkles. I had a blast taking it for a cruise through a state forest this afternoon.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
How much did you pay for it, if you don't mind sharing? I remember them being on closeout for like...7-8 grand, brand new, a year or so ago because no one would buy them. Pity because they seem like fantastic bikes.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Nice looking bike.

(Can we get a picture of that helmet up close? That thing looks rad)

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

TEASE MY NECKBEARD posted:

Well I bought a b-king yesterday. Besides having an exceptionally squared off rear tire, it is in good shape and came with some quality farkles. I had a blast taking it for a cruise through a state forest this afternoon.

B-Kings are cool, I always thought they should have shipped from the factory with a Decepticon logo on the tank.

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009

Z3n posted:

How much did you pay for it, if you don't mind sharing? I remember them being on closeout for like...7-8 grand, brand new, a year or so ago because no one would buy them. Pity because they seem like fantastic bikes.

I don't mind sharing. I paid 6.5k for it. I know this bike wasn't well received in America, but I'm surprised to hear they were selling at such a steep discount (MSRP for the ABS model was ~13,500). I had heard that many dealers just resorted to selling them with aftermarket exhausts. The stock exhaust is pretty fugly, and aftermarket solutions are expensive. Overall, I'd still say the general aesthetics are love or hate.

Anyhow, this one drew me in because of the low miles, exhaust, corbin seat, and well done tail tidy (although it does have the useless smoked turn signals for the rear).

Also, I never knew how nice the 1340cc motor was. Aside from having a bunch of horsepower, it has almost zero vibrations and a fantastically smooth transmission.

Shimrod posted:

Nice looking bike.

(Can we get a picture of that helmet up close? That thing looks rad)

I only have a crappy iphone camera, but the helmet is one of the AGV Rossi replicas. I think the model name was Dreamtime. I really like the way it looks, but I'd say the quality is only middle of the road. I'd like to get another shark sometime soon.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Post a pic of you on it! I want to see a non-fat person on a b-king for once. :) at least i hope you're not fat otherwise im sorry for everything

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I'm in the minority here but I always thought the stock exhaust on B-kings went well with the rest of the bike. I think Hayabusas look nice though so my sense of motorcycle aesthetics differs a bit from the rest of CA.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'm so jealous of your B-King. I've always thought they were just awesome, awesome bikes. A drat shame they didn't catch on.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I don't get why it didn't catch on. What's not to like about big smooth effortless mountains of torque and more power than you could ever use on the roads?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

KozmoNaut posted:

I don't get why it didn't catch on. What's not to like about big smooth effortless mountains of torque and more power than you could ever use on the roads?

IIRC it had the complaints you'd expect of a naked 'busa - a little big, a little heavy, overkill power. For stuff that you want that extra power and weight over a literbike or smaller - highway riding, carrying luggage or pillion - you'd want the faired bike. Plus the styling (like most nakeds) can be polarizing. Suzuki already had nakeds/standards (the SV650 and the Bandit) so the B-King didn't really have room in the lineup.

Naked bikes in general haven't really sold well in the US, our market skews heavily between Fat King Dyna Wide Boys and Repsol Gixxas, while more practical / versatile bikes (low displacement, dual-sport, standards) tend to be fairly niche. The only other hyper-displacement naked the US got that I can think of is the BMW K1200R, which has also vanished.

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 30, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Snowdens Secret posted:

The only other hyper-displacement naked the US got that I can think of is the BMW K1200R, which has also vanished.

I want one of those so badly. The :pwn: headlights are just SO GOOD.

Also:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 30, 2012

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
They did a K1300R as well. When are they going to do the K1600R?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

clutchpuck posted:

There's a guy who rides the ferry in the opposite direction of me with one of those in yellow. Always wondered what it was. Looks nice.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

TEASE MY NECKBEARD posted:

'Sup helmet buddy. :) I, like you, wish it were a bit better quality because the design is rad.

Nice bike, too!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

internet inc posted:

'Sup helmet buddy. :) I, like you, wish it were a bit better quality because the design is rad.

Nice bike, too!

You got a Dreamtime too? That makes 3 of us now! The fit for me is excellent, but yeah, the soft bits on the bottom of the helmet are already getting pretty threadbare after only about 1.5-2 years of ownership.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

clutchpuck posted:

The K1300R on the frame looks like mailbox letters that you can get at the hardware store.

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
Thanks fellas! I took the bike to my school's bike meet (engineering and business student rough riders), and I started to realize that "What is that?" and "Why is it so wide?" will probably be two questions I get asked repeatedly. :)

Unfortunately I do not have a picture of myself riding the bike. I am 5'11 180lbs and haven't had anyone tell me that the bike makes me look small, yet. I also have plenty of room for my legs. Some tall people have trouble with their legs being too large to fit in the contours of the air intakes. I have a decent amount of room to spare. Here's a teaser of yours truly cheesing like a kid on christmas.

I had an 06 GSXR 600 before this that I desperately wanted to like, but I really enjoy this b-king quite a lot more. I'm already planning to take a trip on it this summer. I'd like to take it up to Colorado.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowdens Secret posted:

The only other hyper-displacement naked the US got that I can think of is the BMW K1200R, which has also vanished.

:colbert: ZED REX.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
There was also the mid 90s cb1000

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

n8r posted:

There was also the mid 90s cb1000

I want one of those gas tanks SO bad.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Phy posted:

Those are hot and I want one, but I'd classify it more as a retro / throwback UJM than a modern naked. Things like right-side up forks, twin shocks, old school brakes, general styling / riding position etc. It's clearly not, say, a naked / streetfightered ZX-12R that would be more a B-King equivalent.

The later Duc Monsters are more of a grey area (and I forgot the Streetfighter), although technically these are still only Superbike-sized engines.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Phy posted:

I've seen pictures of that kind of bike a few times, what exactly is it? I know it's a Kawasaki but what model? I really really love the look its got going.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Shimrod posted:

I've seen pictures of that kind of bike a few times, what exactly is it? I know it's a Kawasaki but what model? I really really love the look its got going.

ZRX1100R or (more often) ZRX1200R. They stopped selling them in the States shortly after the Z1000 came out but Japan loves retro bikes so they continued there until '08 or so.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

ZRX1100R or (more often) ZRX1200R. They stopped selling them in the States shortly after the Z1000 came out but Japan loves retro bikes so they continued there until '08 or so.

Hmmm...

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
One of the best motors I've ever experienced - super fun. Kinda lovely handling though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

This is the most important forum for people who want to own ZXRs.

http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?148-Turbos!