Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I loving love Theroux's documentaries; the guy knows when to take a back seat and let the participants tell their story in their own way, for good or bad.

Pointing a camera at the parents having to retrain their autistic son seems kind of voyeuristic, but listening to their voices at breaking point while saying afterwards 'people need to see this, this is what it is like' is loving heart-breaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Paperhouse posted:

yeah, that was the one. Totally smug and self satisfied. I think he also went on about how all music now is terrible compared to in the golden age of the Bee Gees, which always gets on my wick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbVb8COFOpM

It's one of the most infuriatingly smug things I've ever seen.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
To the surprise of absolutely no one, Very Important People is a load of poo poo.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Answers Me posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbVb8COFOpM

It's one of the most infuriatingly smug things I've ever seen.

christ, it really is awful. There's an unbelievable amount of boasting that is totally irrelevant to the questions asked.

Benzoyl Peroxide
Jun 6, 2007

[C6H5C(O)]2O2

MrB posted:

Yeah the Louis Theroux Dementia episode was a drat hard watch. Having cared for a loved one suffering from early-onset Alzheimer's up until death I teared up for almost every patient he interviewed.

Just though it should be said that you're a legend.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
The "city on crystal meth" and the American superjail theroux docs are great watches, there is just something about him that makes people open up.

Especially considering who he is talking to and the situations he's in (with a camera crew)

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Leon with a Zero posted:

The "city on crystal meth" and the American superjail theroux docs are great watches, there is just something about him that makes people open up.

Especially considering who he is talking to and the situations he's in (with a camera crew)
It's a simple technique but you notice that when people are done answering his question, he just stays silent and the camera stays on the interviewee. Generally the brain goes haywire when there's a few seconds of silence without interruption during a dialogue (that's why we "um" and "ah" when we're trying to think of what to say next) so you feel pressured to carry on. There might be other forces he has at work there but he has definitely nailed getting people to open up. I guess having such a soft voice has to help.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.
To add to the Louis Theroux love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taUqt_E0aOs

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Golly golly golly golly golly golly golly golly golly.

The wife of the dentist was also heartbreaking, just coming to terms with the fact that her husband thinks she's his office assistant and that he has a couple of lovers.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010
So I just watched the entire first series of Nighty Night in 24 hours, and really enjoyed it, especially Mark Gatiss' character. Can anyone recommend anything similar at all? I think I've missed out on a lot of good comedy over the last decade or so.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
The second series also owns. Apart from that I hope you have already seen Peep Show, Black Books and Father Ted. Those 3 I will recommend without qualification.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Also Snuffbox and Fifteen Stories High.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Snuffbox was wonderful, the BBC were supremely spineless in not renewing it.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Snuffbox was wonderful, the BBC were supremely spineless in not renewing it.

How so? I always just assumed it only got one series because it didn't do well. Was there something more to it?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mickolution posted:

How so? I always just assumed it only got one series because it didn't do well. Was there something more to it?

Everyone in this thread gushes over Snuffbox, the BBC really were spineless in this case.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Everyone in this thread gushes over Snuffbox, the BBC really were spineless in this case.

They gave Snuff Box 6 episodes and this 3 series. The BBC can be utter shite at times (unless it's news, then it's all the time)

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

That doesn't really answer my question, how were they spineless?

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
Berry and Fulcher are great and everything but maybe the BBC didn't want them taking the piss and literally repeating the same jokes, word for word, for another 6 episodes. Don't get me wrong I thought it was good, but that aspect in particular was lazy (ironic-taking-a-dig-at-sketch-shows laziness idk?)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Al2001 posted:

in particular was lazy (ironic-taking-a-dig-at-sketch-shows laziness idk?)

I really think Snuffbox was a little deeper than lazy parody at sketch shows. The musical numbers alone sink that theory into the water.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Al2001 posted:

Berry and Fulcher are great and everything but maybe the BBC didn't want them taking the piss and literally repeating the same jokes, word for word, for another 6 episodes. Don't get me wrong I thought it was good, but that aspect in particular was lazy (ironic-taking-a-dig-at-sketch-shows laziness idk?)
gently caress you.

*drops fish tank on thread; runs away*

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I think your swarthy Victorian ancestor would disapprove of such actions and words. And then have an orgy with some 19th century prostitutes to a jaunty melody.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Mickolution posted:

That doesn't really answer my question, how were they spineless?

As I understand it they didn't like how dark it was (central characters being hangmen, hence the name), and wanted the language toned down, which is probably why the series ends with the song it does.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Matt and Rich in the commentary sort of get embarassed at how sweary it was, but the dark humour was excellent. And yet the BBC willingly keeps Coming Of Age which is poo poo and Eastenders which is the most depressing fictional thing I've ever seen on the screen.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

How can you compare Eastenders to Snuffbox? One is a strange obscure sketch show on a cable channel and the other gets some of the biggest ratings on the BBC.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Snuffbox is more cheerful. Unless I missed the episode where Matt Berry killed Fulcher and buried him under the floor of the gentlemens club whilst having an affair with a ugly person.

God I'd watch that still.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

You seem to be confusing what you like with what the BBC are supposed to do.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The BBC is a public service broadcaster.

I am a member of the public.

Therefore, the BBC should adapt to service me.

Glad we cleared that up.

:eng101:

Double Happiness
Aug 4, 2010

Quit smoking reduces heart risk
I've recently gotten round to watching the first two series of "Auf Wiedersen Pet" online, and discovered what a great show it is. I remember watching the later episodes when I was young but the early seasons are really top class TV. I never see it mentioned on UK TV threads on here though, too working class for you Guardian reading lot? :colbert:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mickolution posted:

I'd like to be entertained by telly, not depressed by it.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Mickolution posted:

The BBC do have some sort of duty or other to put out programming that wouldn't be viable on advertising-driven stations.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Double Happiness posted:

I've recently gotten round to watching the first two series of "Auf Wiedersen Pet" online, and discovered what a great show it is. I remember watching the later episodes when I was young but the early seasons are really top class TV. I never see it mentioned on UK TV threads on here though, too working class for you Guardian reading lot? :colbert:

I just assume that all TV made before the turn of the millennium is poo poo, then I can be pleasantly surprised when a few things aren't. (but what I'm saying is, although there are numerous exceptions, TV has evolved alot in the past ~15 years and most stuff I remember being good as a kid has aged really badly.) Haven't watched Auf Wiedersehen Pet since I was 8 or something, will revisit at some point.

Watched The Singing Detective for the first time when they repeated it recently and that blew me away. Genius.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Kerbtree posted:

The BBC do have some sort of duty or other to put out programming that wouldn't be viable on advertising-driven stations.

Absolutely they do, but I think that's more stuff like Attenborough documentaries (which cost a fortune) or most of BBC 4's output than Snuffbox. Not saying I didn't like it, I did, but I'm not surprised it didn't last. I guess it was always going to be compared to something like Little Britain, which was also a BBC 3 show and was way more successful. It's frustrating that BBC 3 is so poo poo, though. I know I'm probably not in their target demographic, but it really is lowest common denominator stuff when it could be so much better. You'd have to think that if it were around 20 years ago that's where the likes of Fist of Fun and Shooting Stars would have been and now it's just poo poo like Coming of Age, but I guess it's cheap to make and gets viewers. At least we have BBC 4.

On that point, other than Snuffbox, I really can't think of a sketch show I've enjoyed since Big Train, probably.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Bruiser? You must have liked Bruiser!

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Haven't seen it, will check it out tomorrow.

Was Man Stroke Woman any good? I caught an episode once and thought it was fairly bad, but then a friend was raving about it a while later. Was it poo poo or just something that takes a bit of getting into? It's so long ago now, I can't remember it at all, so not sure what I didn't like about it.

edit: Watching some Bruiser now, seems promising. Not sure how I missed it.

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 30, 2012

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Al2001 posted:

I just assume that all TV made before the turn of the millennium is poo poo, then I can be pleasantly surprised when a few things aren't. (but what I'm saying is, although there are numerous exceptions, TV has evolved alot in the past ~15 years and most stuff I remember being good as a kid has aged really badly.)

I think British drama from the 70s and 80s has generally aged better than American drama of the same era. Quite a few of the marquee BBC and C4 productions of that time still stand up surprisingly well.

I, Claudius for example is just as compelling as Game of Thrones for my money. But then you'd expect so with such a ludicrously talented cast.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Agree with that, there was some great Drama back then, but if you're used to modern stuff, it can be a little slow. I recently watched Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy and while I loved it, if a series of it was made now, it'd probably have half the episodes.

Also, it may just be because of my age when they first aired, but 90s British comedy was a real high point.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Richard Herring's Objective was on the Comedy of the Week podcast this week and it's really cemented my dislike for him. I just find his material so weak, there's nothing really there other than applying basic extrapolations to get to a gag that doesn't do anything for me at all. I know it's a character, but his "petty and self-pitying" schtick just annoys me.

I hesitate to compare him to goon favorite Stewart Lee, but when you compare their two styles Herring comes off worse every time. They're sort of opposites these days, with Herring being so prolific and basically winging everything he does without preparing, whilst Lee clinically and precisely works on the timing and delivery of every word, but I feel that's because Herring is much more limited as a performer. I don't rate comedy entirely on how "clever" it is at all, but Richard Herring isn't interesting, or cutting edge, nor reliably semi-amusing like say The News Quiz. I would be interesting in watching an hour of his prepared material to see if it's any better, but every other stand-up who's been around as long as he has can hit the fundamentals better than he can imo. Someone like Jeremy Hardy is decidedly past it now, but he can still go through the motions and churn out some enjoyable enough stuff. It's the gag you're expecting but it can still make you laugh, whereas Herring doesn't necessarily do the gag you're expecting, but it falls flat. Most comedians eventually lose it in middle age but they can still deliver drab material in a more decisive way.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 30, 2012

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
I've seen Spaced, The Office, Extras, Fawlty Towers, I'm Alan Partridge...

...and just recently I've come to really, really love The Thick Of It. What other British comedies or sitcoms should I look into?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Dilkington posted:

I've seen Spaced, The Office, Extras, Fawlty Towers, I'm Alan Partridge...

...and just recently I've come to really, really love The Thick Of It. What other British comedies or sitcoms should I look into?

Black Books, Blackadder, Snuffbox, Red Dwarf up to the 6th series, Inbetweeners, Ideal, The IT Crowd, Father Ted and Peepshow are some of my suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 59 days!
Soiled Meat
Cross-posting from the UK Megathread:

Anyone been watching "The Bridge" on the BBC? It's a Swedish/Danish investigative thriller. I just watched the first four episodes on the iPlayer, then went and watched the remaining six by other means. It's utterly brilliant. Genuinely great writing, excellent mood, very well acted and filmed. I'm struggling to think of anything nearly half as good made over here for our television.

Yes, I'm up at 6:30 am because I watched it all overnight. Been a long time since I did something like this.

Apologies if it's been discussed and I missed it (though nothing came up in forums search): I'm not a regular thread reader. Just curious what other people think.