Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Apprentice Dick posted:

I just got an internship for the summer that is on an air force base and was informed that I will be getting a top secret security clearance due to the nature of the work. My question is will I keep am active security clearance after this summer, and if so should that be something in bold giant print on my resume?

The boldest of prints. Seriously, that's your golden ticket to a job in the defense industry, and more or less guarantees you'll have a job after graduation. (it doesn't expire for a few years)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Apprentice Dick posted:

I just got an internship for the summer that is on an air force base and was informed that I will be getting a top secret security clearance due to the nature of the work. My question is will I keep am active security clearance after this summer, and if so should that be something in bold giant print on my resume?

If I remember correctly, you're not supposed to put your clearance on a general resume that you send to everybody/post to a job site/etc. However, if you're applying for a job which (likely) requires a clearance, then you can and absolutely should put it on the resume. I wouldn't use bold, giant print at that point (everyone applying should have one) but definitely put it as close to the top as you can.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Thanks for the replies, my plan was to go into the defense industry after I finish due to all the big names plus a ton of small outfits all near me. And the giant print thing was a joke, I just wondered if it should go on there at all.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

NomNomNom posted:

The boldest of prints. Seriously, that's your golden ticket to a job in the defense industry, and more or less guarantees you'll have a job after graduation. (it doesn't expire for a few years)

TS clearance has to be reinvestigated after 5 years.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 10, 2023

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
So is it just impossible to get into the defense industry if you didn't get a security clearance from a coop?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 10, 2023

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

OctaviusBeaver posted:

So is it just impossible to get into the defense industry if you didn't get a security clearance from a coop?
While contractors see an existing clearance as a big cost they can avoid (which can tip the scales in favor of another candidate), move federal government jobs only require that you be eligible for a clearance, not that you already have one. The cost of low level clearances is rather low; it's only the highest level that make much difference.

:ninja: edit:
http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/generalinfo/a/security2_4.htm

about.com posted:

What About these Companies that Advertise to Hire People With Clearances?

If you already have a valid security clearance, that's a valuable commodity for government contractors whose employees require a security clearance. Processing security clearances cost money, and requires time (sometimes several months). The average cost to process a SECRET clearance can run from several hundred dollars to $3,000, depending upon individual factors. The average cost to process a TOP SECRET clearance is between $3,000 and about $15,000, depending upon individual factors.

The government pays the cost of clearances for military personnel and civilian government employees. The law requires that contractors pay most of the costs of obtaining clearances for their employees. That's why contractors quite often advertise to try and find employees who already hold a valid clearance. It saves them several thousands of dollars. Additionally, it saves them time, as they don't have to wait for months for the new employee to obtain a clearance, and begin to do the job they were hired for.

You cannot simply request a clearance for yourself and offer to pay for it. To obtain a clearance you have to have a job which requires one (either by being in the military, or a government civilian job, or a contractor job).

However, there is no reason why you should not apply for these jobs. If it comes down to a choice between you and a candidate who already has a clearance, the contractor will probably choose the other candidate (saving thousands of dollars in the process). However, if the contractor can't find anyone else who already holds a clearance, they may decide to hire you anyway, and pay for your clearance process.

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

I graduated as a Civil Engineer but am working in the energy industry. I'd say about 2/3s of my old engineering jobs consisted of Mechanical Engineering and 1/3 of my jobs Electrical Engineering. These days I supervise said MEs and EEs. A Civil Engineering degree is a very versatile degree. You can do a lot more with it than design a road or design a building.

SuperSpiff posted:

Don't be hatin' on the construction folks! I'm sure that there are a lot of people that have really easy construction engineering jobs but there's a lot to it that I expect you're missing (and I don't even do it any more). It's true you don't use much of the engineering you learn in class (though you'll use the hell out of your contracts, estimating and construction engineering courses if you took those).

I really enjoyed it as I got to get out from behind the desk and deal with people face-to-face, but I would never ever characterize it as "terribly easy" just because I didn't spend my days with my nose in the steel bible.

LOL at "steel bible." I hear you there.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

The Experiment posted:

I graduated as a Civil Engineer but am working in the energy industry. I'd say about 2/3s of my old engineering jobs consisted of Mechanical Engineering and 1/3 of my jobs Electrical Engineering. These days I supervise said MEs and EEs. A Civil Engineering degree is a very versatile degree. You can do a lot more with it than design a road or design a building.

LOL at "steel bible." I hear you there.

I'm actually surprised that it's that versatile, most of the CEs I know are either working for CE firms or are doing something completely unrelated to engineering at all.

I can see CE overlapping with ME stuff, but how does the EE stuff come in? I'm not actually terribly familiar with a lot of the knowledge base a CE would have.

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

CCKeane posted:

I'm actually surprised that it's that versatile, most of the CEs I know are either working for CE firms or are doing something completely unrelated to engineering at all.

I can see CE overlapping with ME stuff, but how does the EE stuff come in? I'm not actually terribly familiar with a lot of the knowledge base a CE would have.

I started off working on large natural gas projects. As I got pretty good with those, I began taking on being a project manager for both natural gas and electric projects. Then, through picking up knowledge of the job, I eventually became the go-to guy for electric questions and issues. Then I just started working on electric projects.

These days I supervise the project managers, engineers, technicians, consultants, etc. for both gas and electric projects. Basically I volunteered, read up on the stuff, and ran with it.

I'd have to start out at square one if I ever joined up with a CE firm. That is why it is important that I get my MBA and then MSEE as soon as possible. I just need to get off my dead rear end and start studying.

RedReverend
Feb 15, 2003

I'm going into my junior year of EE next fall and have been applying for summer internships. I've already got an offer working in Power and Systems on the local nuclear reservation from one company. Pros are: the job is mine if I want it, it's in my specialty of Power, my wife works for the same company so we might be able to carpool together, and it is guaranteed full time through the end of the summer. Cons are: it's a hell of a drive through horrible traffic, work starts at 06:00, and it's for a company that is doing clean up so it is working itself out of a job. That means that there is little chance of being picked up as an engineer after school is out.

I am also waiting on an interview with another company out there that is looking for a student that would not only work full time summer, but also part time throughout the school year from now until graduation. The pros of this are obvious: guaranteed employment through the end of college, the possibility of being hired on as a full time engineer after I graduate, shorter commute, better working hours (7-4) every day, also applies to my specialty of power, and two years of solid experience when I graduate. In addition, there aren't any cons except for the fact that I'll be working part time while attending school. In addition, my father works in the building next door and interacts with the engineers that I'd be working under. If there is anything that is true about jobs out there, it is that nepotism is rampant and encouraged.

The issue is that I received the offer for the first one today and haven't gotten an interview time yet for the second. There is no guarantee that even if I interview, I will get the job, save for the wild card of my father working with them. I don't know if it is kosher to go ahead and accept the first offer, knowing that I might have to cancel it in a few weeks. On the other hand, if I end up doing that and burn a bridge with the intern staffing company, I will have a guaranteed 2 year internship with no need to apply for one ever again. I also don't want to turn it down on simply on the chance that I might get called by the second job.

Has anybody been in the situation of having to choose between two possible internships? It seems silly because right now, I only have one offer in front of me. Still though, I want to make the right decision here.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Might have missed it, but is there a deadline one when the first wants a response? I had the same deal for a full time offer---and most everyone understands if you want an extension (don't say for another job, just for consideration on the one they offered, speaking with family, etc). While there are other motives for hiring interns, a big one is vetting someone for a full time role. They don't want to force your hand into anything or put you on edge if they're really interested in you. If your deadline is two weeks from now and you're waiting to hear back, ask for an extension. They should be glad to give you another week or two. If they don't....well, the devil you know is better than that you don't. Just don't ask for forever without any horizon in sight. You'll need to make a decision one way or another at some point.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Just a general thought on internships.

Part of them is the company checking you out cheaply and another bigger part of it is you getting exposure to different companies, work environments and even fields. Having several internships is generally a good thing on a resume.

I would suggest that you don't short yourself by locking into a long term position, now's your chance to try a lot of different things, you may be surprised by what you find out.

RedReverend
Feb 15, 2003

Dead Pressed posted:

Might have missed it, but is there a deadline one when the first wants a response? I had the same deal for a full time offer---and most everyone understands if you want an extension (don't say for another job, just for consideration on the one they offered, speaking with family, etc). While there are other motives for hiring interns, a big one is vetting someone for a full time role. They don't want to force your hand into anything or put you on edge if they're really interested in you. If your deadline is two weeks from now and you're waiting to hear back, ask for an extension. They should be glad to give you another week or two. If they don't....well, the devil you know is better than that you don't. Just don't ask for forever without any horizon in sight. You'll need to make a decision one way or another at some point.

Yeah, being that I haven't heard from the second company. I will probably accept the first one. The lady at the intern staffing company said that since the company takes Fridays off, that I could wait till Monday to make my decision. If anything, I can try for the other company next year. Plus, this will give me some great experience going forward.

This is all a little surreal still, I've been working poo poo jobs up until now and I am finally far enough along that I have something to offer in my future career. It's a little weird to think of it like that: not a job, but a career.

Thanks to you and Murgos for the advice. Hopefully it'll be an enlightening summer.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

grover posted:

He asked about "engineering" though!

What's industrial engineering in the US ?
Because basically in south america and spain have different defintions of what it is and people won't touch people with E.Degree if they can snach a good old industrial engineer.

Hell what I do basically amounts to a double degree in automatism + mechanical plus a lot materials trown in there and I am studying Industrial E. , also add the unofficial requisite of english and german.

Just for the knowledge if I have to explain myself in an interview.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Industrial Engineers make plans and layouts for a large process or system and leave the implementation and design of the components to other engineers. This is why that are referred to as imaginary engineers.

Disney IE explanation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krCjsxDhNyM&feature=related

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Few questions for you engineers. I'm about to start school this fall after 8 years in the military and want to shoot for either a mechanical or electrical engineering degree. Are there any little things I can look into now that will help me figure out which path I'd enjoy more down the line?

I can weld and rebuild car engines and transmissions, I'm a champ with a soldering iron, electronics have always been fascinating to me but seem like magic and are still sort of intimidating to me.

This is something I've always wanted to do but it still seems like a pretty massive undertaking - so what can I be doing in the mean time to help myself out in the long run?

fakeedit: I'm interested in learning some drafting for personal use - what would a good noob level program be to invest some time in? I've been looking at google sketch up thus far.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Notitia posted:

Few questions for you engineers. I'm about to start school this fall after 8 years in the military and want to shoot for either a mechanical or electrical engineering degree. Are there any little things I can look into now that will help me figure out which path I'd enjoy more down the line?

I can weld and rebuild car engines and transmissions, I'm a champ with a soldering iron, electronics have always been fascinating to me but seem like magic and are still sort of intimidating to me.

This is something I've always wanted to do but it still seems like a pretty massive undertaking - so what can I be doing in the mean time to help myself out in the long run?

fakeedit: I'm interested in learning some drafting for personal use - what would a good noob level program be to invest some time in? I've been looking at google sketch up thus far.

If you're interested in electronics, look into getting an Arduino kit. Lets you learn about microcontrollers pretty cheaply and has a lot of tutorials and guides for sample projects you can do.

On a side note, I'm a mechanical engineer (doing a masters now) and if your school offers mechatronics or robotics courses, that's kinda the best of both worlds in terms of mechanical + electrical. If you're more of the thermodynamics/turbomachinery/heat transfer mechanical engineer, then you'll get plenty of that in your regular ME course load if you choose that path.

As for CAD software, if you have a .edu email address already, you can download pretty much any Autodesk product for free.

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 30, 2012

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Frinkahedron posted:

If you're interested in electronics, look into getting an Arduino kit. Lets you learn about microcontrollers pretty cheaply and has a lot of tutorials and guides.

On a side note, I'm a mechanical engineer (doing a masters now) and if your school offers mechatronics or robotics courses, that's kinda the best of both worlds in terms of mechanical + electrical. If you're more of the thermodynamics/turbomachinery/heat transfer mechanical engineer, then you'll get plenty of that in your regular ME course load if you choose that path.

As for CAD software, if you have a .edu email address already, you can download pretty much any Autodesk product for free.

I don't really know where I want to end up just yet - I figured that'll open up once I get into the classes. I'll check out the ardunio and autodesk stuff. As far as EE and ME go is one or the other significantly harder in the end or is that more of a do what you enjoy line of question?

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Notitia posted:

As far as EE and ME go is one or the other significantly harder in the end or is that more of a do what you enjoy line of question?

Basically, yeah. You'll know if you like it or not fairly quickly. I'd say they are about even in difficulty. EE might make you take a couple extra math courses.

Italian Stalin
Jul 4, 2003

You-a gonna get-a purged!
Hoping this question relates to the general overall thread, but I have a question on internships and how they look on resumes. If anything this is the right crowd to ask.

I've been working as a Software Engineer Intern at a very well known company in Silicon Valley for almost two years now. I have a year to go before I graduate with my Bachelors in CS, so I will have had three years total as an intern. I don't mean three summers, but three entire years straight.

As far as my resume goes, how far above the average CS grad does this put me? Should I expect to get a lot of clout when applying for jobs after I graduate?

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

Italian Stalin posted:

As far as my resume goes, how far above the average CS grad does this put me? Should I expect to get a lot of clout when applying for jobs after I graduate?

Summer internship is quite common, but with three full years of internship you may consider yourself being not a fresh graduate but almost a mid-career. With this said - you will probably have no problems finding A job, but if you are looking to get into a top software company expect that some other candidates may have the same level of experience.

You can also answer this yourself - consider how many of your classmates have the same work experience or how many other interns work in your company.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Lord Gaga posted:

Industrial Engineers make plans and layouts for a large process or system and leave the implementation and design of the components to other engineers. This is why that are referred to as imaginary engineers.

Disney IE explanation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krCjsxDhNyM&feature=related

How is this considered an engineering branch? This seems like on-the-job training for experienced engineers not a whole degree.

Notitia posted:

As far as EE and ME go is one or the other significantly harder in the end or is that more of a do what you enjoy line of question?

I would say it depends more on what you like , no matter how easy is a subject if you don't like you are going to have a hard time going through it.
I can write a book about doing obligatory subjects that I hate :gibs:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Italian Stalin posted:

Hoping this question relates to the general overall thread, but I have a question on internships and how they look on resumes. If anything this is the right crowd to ask.

I've been working as a Software Engineer Intern at a very well known company in Silicon Valley for almost two years now. I have a year to go before I graduate with my Bachelors in CS, so I will have had three years total as an intern. I don't mean three summers, but three entire years straight.

I don't hire CS but if an EE/ECE grad handed me a resume and they had been working at Intel/ARM/AMD/Major SemiCon for 3 years while getting their degree I would consider them for any related entry positions I had open. That said, competition is pretty fierce for 'hot' jobs and you won't be unique on the upper end.

Is there a reason why you wouldn't take a job at the same place you are working? They've invested three years in training you in their processes. I would be surprised if they didn't offer you a position. You may need to be proactive though, it's hard to tell what someone else is thinking/planning sometimes. It's probably too early for a firm commitment but they would be doing planning now and in the coming months for next year.

Italian Stalin
Jul 4, 2003

Murgos posted:

Is there a reason why you wouldn't take a job at the same place you are working? They've invested three years in training you in their processes. I would be surprised if they didn't offer you a position. You may need to be proactive though, it's hard to tell what someone else is thinking/planning sometimes. It's probably too early for a firm commitment but they would be doing planning now and in the coming months for next year.

I have a guaranteed position, but software engineers are in high demand in the valley and I'm keeping my options open. I might apply for Apple or Google and see where I can get.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Italian Stalin posted:

I have a guaranteed position, but software engineers are in high demand in the valley and I'm keeping my options open. I might apply for Apple or Google and see where I can get.

Don't take the first offer they [current company] would likely give you. Chances are they'll be willing to pay more, and they're acutely aware that you'll be productive immediately with no training period.

Check if co-op time counts towards seniority as well.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Tovarisch posted:

Summer internship is quite common, but with three full years of internship you may consider yourself being not a fresh graduate but almost a mid-career.

Not really, he'll still be a fresh graduate. Even with Google, Facebook, Amazon internships under one's belt, no one (not even those same companies) is going to treat you as more than a college level hire.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Italian Stalin posted:

It might be different since you are already located in the Valley but I knew some incredibly talented software engineer grads from the midwest that didn't even get contacted after applying online with Apple. It seems like they prefer to let you cut your teeth somewhere else after graduating and then cold call after you get experience. Apple picked several engineers off from my current employer last year because they knew moral was low and talented people were leaving. I was contacted by their recruiters through Linked In so make sure you are active on there. Obviously YMMV

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.

shrike82 posted:

Not really, he'll still be a fresh graduate. Even with Google, Facebook, Amazon internships under one's belt, no one (not even those same companies) is going to treat you as more than a college level hire.

I agree. While if you get a job at that same company, you'll have a leg up in that you know people, you won't hold any sort of standing over a person who's been there even just a year as a full time hire. Your (excellent!) previous experience as an intern is nice to put you over people on your level, but it doesn't really compare to a full time hire.

Italian Stalin
Jul 4, 2003

SuperSpiff posted:

I agree. While if you get a job at that same company, you'll have a leg up in that you know people, you won't hold any sort of standing over a person who's been there even just a year as a full time hire. Your (excellent!) previous experience as an intern is nice to put you over people on your level, but it doesn't really compare to a full time hire.

I have friends and previous co-workers that went to Apple who could refer me, so I feel like I would at least have my resume looked at.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Italian Stalin posted:

I have friends and previous co-workers that went to Apple who could refer me, so I feel like I would at least have my resume looked at.

Prepare to be ridden by Apple (or Facebook or Google)...Hard. The monetary bonuses are to make up for the social life and personal time that you will undoubtedly sacrifice. Something to think about compared to whatever your current situation is.

The plus side is that you will learn a lot and your resume will have the brightest of golden stars for when you burn out and want to try something else.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

resident posted:

Prepare to be ridden by Apple (or Facebook or Google)...Hard. The monetary bonuses are to make up for the social life and personal time that you will undoubtedly sacrifice. Something to think about compared to whatever your current situation is.

The plus side is that you will learn a lot and your resume will have the brightest of golden stars for when you burn out and want to try something else.

People say this a lot, but no one is going to find themselves working at Apple who isn't super motivated / want to work hard. If you're the kind of person who wants to put in an easy 40 and be done you're going to be weeded out really early.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

Vomik posted:

People say this a lot, but no one is going to find themselves working at Apple who isn't super motivated / want to work hard. If you're the kind of person who wants to put in an easy 40 and be done you're going to be weeded out really early.

Yes, but when you hear "Apple pretty much ruined my life outside of work" verbatim from a guy who had an EE/CprE double major at the age of 20 the reality sinks in a bit deeper. I would just recommend that the guy asking about working at these places vs his current employer take that potential reality into consideration.

resident fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 30, 2012

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

resident posted:

Yes, but when you hear "Apple pretty much ruined my life outside of work" verbatim from a guy who had an EE/CprE double major at the age of 20 the reality sinks in a bit deeper. I would just recommend that the guy asking about working at these places vs his current employer take that potential reality into consideration.

This is very good advice for all engineers.

Italian Stalin
Jul 4, 2003

resident posted:

I already work pretty extreme hours and I'm fine with it. It's how I earned this position in the first place. I enjoy programming and I don't mind if I continue to work these sorts of hours at Apple or Google.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Italian Stalin posted:

I already work pretty extreme hours and I'm fine with it. It's how I earned this position in the first place. I enjoy programming and I don't mind if I continue to work these sorts of hours at Apple or Google.

If you really like your work, it's doable. (I have two good friends that work long hours. They are also two of the finest engineers I know, so you're in good company there)

It's still a good thing to keep in mind for other people considering it.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Lamadrid posted:

How is this considered an engineering branch? This seems like on-the-job training for experienced engineers not a whole degree.

The "imaginary engineers" thing is said really condescendingly and they're generally considered the bottom of the petty "my engineering degrees better than yours" ladder.

T.H.E. Rock
Sep 13, 2007
;)

Notitia posted:

Check out some of the free online courses. I know MIT's intro to circuits course is supposed to be good, and there's probably some nice intro to mechanics courses floating around. That'll at least give you an idea of what you're getting into before you get to sophomore year and realize you hate mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

T.H.E. Rock posted:

Check out some of the free online courses. I know MIT's intro to circuits course is supposed to be good, and there's probably some nice intro to mechanics courses floating around. That'll at least give you an idea of what you're getting into before you get to sophomore year and realize you hate mechanics.

Another usual advice for people considering EE is to buy Arduino kit. If you feel excited when you turn your first LED on - that might be it.