Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

DontMockMySmock posted:

I just rewatched Cascade, and something occurred to me. On this page it appears that Gamzee is being referred to as the Most Important Character in Homestuck, which doesn't really seem to jibe with Gamzee's role since then. But in Cascade, you can see that moment again from a different perspective, and Lil' Cal is on Gamzee's lap. Is Lil' Cal the most important character in Homestuck?

There's no real verdict on this yet. Both Cal and Gamzee are necessary for stable time loops that have caused things to develop as they have though, and given Gamzee's latest appearance, just who the gently caress knows what he might yet do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

YF-23 posted:

There's no real verdict on this yet. Both Cal and Gamzee are necessary for stable time loops that have caused things to develop as they have though, and given Gamzee's latest appearance, just who the gently caress knows what he might yet do.

Might give you wicked elixirs, might beat you to death with a juggling club.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Midnight Raider posted:

Long ago, when it was only a few hints being strewn about, I really was hoping the Troll Empress was being prepped for a villainess role. These days it's much more certain, and now days it looks like she may be bringing the power in spades. (Pun not intended.)

The big question would be if she's going to be more dangerous than Jack. Even with all of her crazy new powers, Jack's one-trick pony of drive-by stabbings while being nigh-indestructable might still be more problematic.
Thing with Jack is, as soon as he sees that John's still alive, he's probably going to realise that drive-by stabbing a godtier isn't going to work - for their death to count as Heroic, it probably has to be an at least slightly fair fight. And in a fair fight, the Beta Kids and remaining Trolls probably now have the firepower to bring him down, not least because of Jade and PM. They can match Jack power-wise, and he has qualms about killing them (Jade courtesy of Bec - and Jack not only seems scared of PM but he might have a bit of a crush on her).

The Condesce with a full set of psychic abilities is a different matter. Who knows what, say, a mind-controlled Jade could do :ohdear:.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cleretic posted:

-Doc Scratch was working for Lord English
He's a result of an already hosed session.

quote:

-Bec was very much accomplice to making the session unwinnable
Bec was prototyped because John, who was doing the prototyping, fell asleep due to outside influence, leaving very little choice in the matter. In addition, Jack only got access to the ring because of Jade's gift to John, the bunny Liv Tyler. This only existed because of, again, outside influence (ie. Jake.)

quote:

-And GCat stopped Jane's prototyping and apparently got mind-controlled by the Condesce.

From what we've seen, GCat stopping Jane's prototyping is actually just something he did because he's a dick, though he has been mind-controlled by the Condesce in the past. That said, their session is Void from the get-go. It's theorized that this is actually necessary, since Jade is bringing the fully-mature Skaia from their Null session. Also, if I understand correctly, this allowed CD? to destroy the Alpha kids' Skaia, which leaves a nice empty space for Jade's. Or in other words, what GCat did might have allowed for the session to be "fixed," in a sense. We don't know yet.

In short, your examples may actually be better examples of the session being hosed by outside influence rather than First Guardians being inherent evils.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
There's a disturbing lack of Olive Garden in this doomsday scenario

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
...oh hey Pyralspite. How, uh, how you doin'?

Seriously why does Condy have Pyralspite with her?

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Seoinin posted:

We've seen a dragon flying around Jake's island, presumably she brought it along with the other lusi?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Seoinin posted:

...oh hey Pyralspite. How, uh, how you doin'?

We saw it flying over Hellmurder Island a while back didn't we?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Yeah I guess it could be a generic dragon, huh. Though it would be funny if Pyralspite kept getting passed from owner to owner like a thrift store suit.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

King of Solomon posted:

In short, your examples may actually be better examples of the session being hosed by outside influence rather than First Guardians being inherent evils.

Perhaps, but I'm thinking their clear involvement in all of it is something. Like was mentioned before, First Guardians are intended to 'facilitate the planet's ultimate purpose', so if the session is destined to be in some way hosed, the First Guardian is instrumental to it finally ticking over into becoming hosed. Doc Scratch is obvious; B1 was destined to fail, so Bec's actions assured that that's both incontrovertible and making the Scratch absolutely necessary; and GCat is clearly responsible at least for Jane's failure to prototype, failure of prototyping being the key factor in a void session.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cleretic posted:

Perhaps, but I'm thinking their clear involvement in all of it is something. Like was mentioned before, First Guardians are intended to 'facilitate the planet's ultimate purpose', so if the session is destined to be in some way hosed, the First Guardian is instrumental to it finally ticking over into becoming hosed. Doc Scratch is obvious; B1 was destined to fail, so Bec's actions assured that that's both incontrovertible and making the Scratch absolutely necessary; and GCat is clearly responsible at least for Jane's failure to prototype, failure of prototyping being the key factor in a void session.

I actually agree, put this way. It's really important to keep in mind what the session is to become, though I don't think that Bec has much to do with the Beta Kids' session being Null.

Also worth mentioning: Doc Scratch actually had two major purposes. Doc Scratch was, of course, Lord English's servant, and worked to facilitate his entrance into the universe. Additionally, and this is key, I think: Doc Scratch was to develop the race into one that would succeed, and he did that very well. The trolls killed the Black King and created their universe. As far as that part of the game went, they did it with ease. However, the alpha timeline called for things to get weird, so they couldn't quite enter that universe.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS

King of Solomon posted:

Bec was prototyped because John, who was doing the prototyping, fell asleep due to outside influence, leaving very little choice in the matter. In addition, Jack only got access to the ring because of Jade's gift to John, the bunny Liv Tyler. This only existed because of, again, outside influence (ie. Jake.)

Bec wasn't really prototyped because of outside influence, though. From the perspective of a "continuous" timeline, Bec had to be prototyped because Bec Noir already existed prior to Bec's prototyping. There was already an element of predestination to his prototyping. Same thing with the bunny. Jack had to get the ring because he had already had the ring in the "past".

Unless you mean the outside influence is the weird "destiny" that seems to make up the concept of an alpha timeline/universe.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Sorry it's like 2 pages back, but who the gently caress thought that Ed Grimley wasn't doing it hard enough?

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
Just realised something on dirk's history lesson. Dave and rose both died...

"What sort of story would this be, with our Knight and Seer made to stay cadavers? Certainly not one the alpha timeline would allow."

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Eh, I think he already used that callback when Rose and Dave died and had to be dreamself-revived. I don't think it'll come back here. The fact that he's actually showing their corpses (even if Dirk's narration implies uncertainty) says to me they're stone dead.

It's a real pity since I was looking forward to some post-scratch Dave and Rose shenanigans in the medium.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Rooreelooo posted:

Just realised something on dirk's history lesson. Dave and rose both died...

"What sort of story would this be, with our Knight and Seer made to stay cadavers? Certainly not one the alpha timeline would allow."

Unfortunately I think that was referring specifically to Karkat and Terezi.

...Unless of course Jake is talking to a beta-Dirk right now, who came from a timeline where Dave and Rose died and weren't supposed to!

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Constable Lemon posted:

Unfortunately I think that was referring specifically to Karkat and Terezi.

...Unless of course Jake is talking to a beta-Dirk right now, who came from a timeline where Dave and Rose died and weren't supposed to!

Nope, that line came up with B1 Rose and Dave when they were revived as their dreamselves.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Found another liveblog.

http://treestuck.tumblr.com/

Some notes on this one:
- She really disliked Act 1 and it took her like a year to get through it, but her friends kept prodding her, and when she got to Act 3 or so (like, last week), she dove right and and is now chewing through Act 5.1.
- She tags every post differently, so you can't really do a chrono readthrough, unfortunately.
- She can, apparently, actually draw ( http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m34ioaZQWZ1r5dqh9o1_1280.png ), so it should be interesting to see what she does when she finishes reading.

Acidophilus
Aug 27, 2009

What's all this then?
What memoryDirk is saying is actually, factually true. People you know intimately, who are within the fold of your social group and who's existence you care about are mirrored to an extent in your head. It's just like how you build internal models of how things work in your head, like the interactions of cold and hot gasses, so you can predict what will happen in the future in novel circumstances. The models we make of people are of course quite complicated, and we only have the processing power to manage so many people.

That's why, when people die, it takes so long to really come to grips with the fact that they're gone, because they still live in your head.

And of course there is the fact that people ignore huge amounts of information everyday, for a variety of reasons. But ignoring something doesn't mean it hasn't registered with you in some way, which was touched upon with all the unseen wall writings people did, though that's an extreme idea.
I love neuroscience so much.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Update.

So this Dirk is in fact just a part of Jake subconscious.

Also Pages have all kinds of untapped potential.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'd like to think this update implies that Tavros will eventually do something ridiculous.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Also Pages have all kinds of untapped potential.

This should come to no surprise. When Aradia talked to our boy skylark about the powers of his class not opening up until later, there's little reason that his class in SGRUB would be much different.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

We last saw those blue vine thingies with Aranea and Terezi going to the Pink Moon.

...is that just symbolic of it being a dream bubble, or does it mean someone's going to stop by, now that he knows it's a dream?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Bobulus posted:

We last saw those blue vine thingies with Aranea and Terezi going to the Pink Moon.

...is that just symbolic of it being a dream bubble, or does it mean someone's going to stop by, now that he knows it's a dream?

Holy poo poo, I thought it was pretty weird that the blue branch was in the shot but then I read this, went back and looked and it's not there near the beginning. :aaaaa:

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS
The blue vines are specifically the branches of Terezi's hive, so it looks like he is in the same dreambubble, albeit isolated.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Yeah, it's replacing the pumpkin vines that are Dirk's room in the present, but apparently were not there at the point in time when he had this conversation with Dirk.

So I can't tell if it's suddenly there because he's realized it's a dream and his room view is switching to a more 'present' one, only with dream vines instead of pumpkin vines, or if if those symbolic of Aranea.

edit: Were they Terezi's thing? I guess I didn't realize that.

Assuming this is the same timeframe as Terezi and Aranea going off to talk to Meena, I guess that would mean Jake could bump into the rest of the Asteroid Crew?

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 29, 2012

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Color Printer posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought it was pretty weird that the blue branch was in the shot but then I read this, went back and looked and it's not there near the beginning. :aaaaa:

We are already used to weird stuff growing up out of the staircase into the room, so I saw it and did not even give it a second thought.

But the something about the room seemed off still. The colours are wrong, ohhhhh, Terezi's tree.

It is also interesting how all the dream bubbles we have see so far a connected.
Roxy trapped in the void -> John and Meenah and dream Roxy -> Dave and Karkat Statler and Waldorf-ing John.
Terezi and Aranea in Terezi's tree -> Terezi's tree encroaching on Jake's room.

Will they all eventually meet? Or will they keep barely skirting past each other?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Yeah, is the order:

> Asteroid approaches Dream-Bubble
> Terezi has dream about her treehouse, meets Aranea
> Follows her to meet Meena on the Pink Moon, rest of Asteroid crew dragged along
> Arrives just as Dream-John departs

or are these all just unconnected events that are linked by dream motifs?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Saradiart posted:

Bec wasn't really prototyped because of outside influence, though. From the perspective of a "continuous" timeline, Bec had to be prototyped because Bec Noir already existed prior to Bec's prototyping. There was already an element of predestination to his prototyping. Same thing with the bunny. Jack had to get the ring because he had already had the ring in the "past".

Unless you mean the outside influence is the weird "destiny" that seems to make up the concept of an alpha timeline/universe.

Nah, the outside influence I'm talking about is Vriska, actually. John was going to prototype the kernelsprite before Vriska knocked him out, remember. Him being knocked out essentially forced Bec's hand, and thus we get Becsprite.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Question:

Which Vriska got fused into Tavriskasprite? If it was Alpha Vriska, wasn't she with Beta-John or something? The answer is probably just shenanigans, but if she had been hanging out with Beta-John this whole time I would have thought she'd make a comment it or something.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library

Wrist Watch posted:

Question:

Which Vriska got fused into Tavriskasprite? If it was Alpha Vriska, wasn't she with Beta-John or something? The answer is probably just shenanigans, but if she had been hanging out with Beta-John this whole time I would have thought she'd make a comment it or something.

Well it has been a few years. Surely they can have some alone time, even if they have been hanging out a lot.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Nah, the outside influence I'm talking about is Vriska, actually. John was going to prototype the kernelsprite before Vriska knocked him out, remember. Him being knocked out essentially forced Bec's hand, and thus we get Becsprite.

If anything forced Bec's hand, it was the giant meteor falling down. Keep in mind the kernelsprite was already floating towards the pile of dead things in Jade's house, so it was definitely going to prototype with SOMETHING regardless of Vriska's influence. And Bec needed the Sprite powers to create the giant laser anyway(evidently the meteor was too large to just teleport, but a giant sprite-powered laser would work), so he was going to prototype with it regardless.

In fact, it's really hard to blame Vriska for that part, because had she not interfered, Bec would have joined it anyway, it's just that we would have gotten Bec with blue hair and it wouldn't have been able to prototype with Jadesprite later.

(Which, in hindsight, makes that gesture on her part about as laughable as Tavros's with Bec and the gun, since in both cases they were 'influencing' Bec to do something he was going to do anyway, and just took credit for it like a couple of goobers.)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Wrist Watch posted:

Question:

Gamzee used alpha Vriska's corpse, so that's presumably alpha Vriska.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

I'd like to think this update implies that Tavros will eventually do something ridiculous.

He will show up at the end of Act 6 to do the Windiest Thing.

I know Jake is kind of slow on the uptake, it's pretty sad when your mental projections of other people are more clued in than you are. Kind of interesting that Jake somehow already knows about dream bubbles on a subconscious level though, even given his class.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

hackbunny posted:

There's a disturbing lack of Olive Garden in this doomsday scenario

and Snoop Dog. I hope he's okay :(

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.

Thundarr posted:

He will show up at the end of Act 6 to do the Windiest Thing.

I know Jake is kind of slow on the uptake, it's pretty sad when your mental projections of other people are more clued in than you are. Kind of interesting that Jake somehow already knows about dream bubbles on a subconscious level though, even given his class.

I'm honestly unsure if this is really just part of his imagination since he not only knew that but also that Dirk was Heart. I'm kinda betting on someone impersonating Dirk due to that and the blue vines.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

^^^ I thought it might be a Heart thing too, though it'd seem out of character for Dirk to insist he is just a figment of Jake's imagination after going through the whole full disclosure thing. An impersonation is possible, but who? :ohdear:

SoupyTwist posted:

and Snoop Dog. I hope he's okay :(

He died bravely with the rest of the rebels. :snoop::911:

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 30, 2012

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Oh god. I can't breathe. Dirk is the best even when he's not really Dirk. :allears:

Also hey Aranea.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I was sure that wasn't going to be just Jake's imagination since it seemed to know things he didn't - I don't mean character appraisals of Dirk, I mean facts about him being a Page and stuff.

Oh wait another update let's see what this says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

That is an amazing update.

Color Printer posted:

Oh god. I can't breathe. Dirk is the best even when he's not really Dirk. :allears:

Also hey Aranea.

Dirk refers to Jack at the end of the pesterlog.. .......Is he REALLY not Dirk? Dun dun dun.

He may actually be pulling a Jane here, in fact, in terms of romantically shooting himself in the foot.

Edit: ...Or not, depending on just how Aranea takes that, anyway. So in the end I have no idea just who Dirk may be sabotaging here, if anyone. Damned irony! :argh:

Midnight Raider fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 30, 2012