Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I'm an EE major so if I wanted to do it in hardware it wouldn't really be a problem, but I'd rather not. I just figure there has to be some simple way to do it with Windows, especially considering I've had it happen to me by accident before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Lowclock posted:

I'm an EE major so if I wanted to do it in hardware it wouldn't really be a problem, but I'd rather not. I just figure there has to be some simple way to do it with Windows, especially considering I've had it happen to me by accident before.

It would probably require a customized keyboard driver, but I can't seem to find anything quickly on google.

edit: spoke too soon, check out this article about manipulating the keyboard LEDs with AutoHotKey, I'm sure it would be fairly simple to reverse them:
http://www.autohotkey.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=10532

quote:

evl
Post subject: Posted: June 16th, 2006, 11:45 pm

Here's a simple script I wrote to "disable" the NumLock LED on my laptop (it's quite distracting since I'm usually using an external keyboard and never change the status really). The script just checks the numlock state and if numlock is on it turns the LED off and vice versa (i.e. it becomes a Numlock-Off LED):

Code:
Gosub, ~NumLock
Return

~NumLock::
~CapsLock::
~ScrollLock::
Sleep, 10 ; improve reliability of setting LED state sometimes
If (GetKeyState("Numlock", "T"))
KeyboardLED(2,"off")
Else
KeyboardLED(2,"on")
Return

(Obviously this requires the functions from the main script in the 1st post)

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Apr 28, 2012

Samael Jackson
Aug 26, 2008

POWER OF THE MACK DAD
Finding a standard mechanical keyboard has been harder than it seems like it should be. I'm looking for:

-standard/full layout.
-cherry brown switches.
-prefer no gaming keys, backlights, etc.
-keys where the lettering doesn't wear off in a month.
-not piano black since it's a dust magnet.
-risers (how is this not a standard thing? never seen a keyboard without them until searching for a mechanical)

The only thing I've found/like that fits all those is the ducky dk9008g2. I figure I'd consult the thread for other options first before getting a $130 keyboard.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/
http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=special&filter=fullsize

These meet your criteria. You could check out the Filco boards on Amazon, but you'll pay a premium. There are also the Rosewill boards on Newegg, but I've read that those may have some quality issues.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
USB is +5V and 100mA; hardly enough to cause any damage. I also said to flip the wiring of the switch, but the software solution is the best obviously.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Samael Jackson posted:

Finding a standard mechanical keyboard has been harder than it seems like it should be. I'm looking for:

-standard/full layout.
-cherry brown switches.
-prefer no gaming keys, backlights, etc.
-keys where the lettering doesn't wear off in a month.
-not piano black since it's a dust magnet.
-risers (how is this not a standard thing? never seen a keyboard without them until searching for a mechanical)

The only thing I've found/like that fits all those is the ducky dk9008g2. I figure I'd consult the thread for other options first before getting a $130 keyboard.

http://www.amazon.com/Filco-Majestouch-2-Tactile-Keyboard-FKBN104M/dp/B005JC4OR4/

White Filco ninja keyboard. The keys are still ABS and are going to get shiny, but the "ninja" key printing on the side means your fingers won't even touch the letters. It's white with brown switches, it's got a standard minimal layout, and even the risers have little rubber ends to help keep the keyboard from moving around.

David Mountford
Feb 16, 2012

404notfound posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Filco-Majestouch-2-Tactile-Keyboard-FKBN104M/dp/B005JC4OR4/

White Filco ninja keyboard. The keys are still ABS and are going to get shiny, but the "ninja" key printing on the side means your fingers won't even touch the letters. It's white with brown switches, it's got a standard minimal layout, and even the risers have little rubber ends to help keep the keyboard from moving around.

I have that exact board, just in black. It certainly was pricey, but worth every penny. I've never typed on a board that I've enjoyed as much as this. It does get a little dusty, so I keep a swiffer cloth near by, and the board actually comes with a plastic cover you can drop on top of it when it's not in use.

Samael Jackson
Aug 26, 2008

POWER OF THE MACK DAD
Thanks. I looked into Filco too, but all I could find were higher priced than Ducky and had higher shipping charges too.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Lediur posted:

Just got my first mechanical keyboard with browns from WASD.

The only thing I've noticed (apart from the slightly heavier tactile feel) is that it's quite a bit higher than the old IBM keyboard I was using. Other than that, it's awesome.

I'm diggin' the Futura. I know it's custom, but what brands use Futura? All I can think of is Filco, who use Futura Italic I believe.

One criticism: your pause/break key looks like a Photoshop key. Otherwise, I'm a fan, and I'm tempted to get a set of keycaps like this. Either that or those pre-cheetoed ones.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Cream_Filling posted:

One criticism: your pause/break key looks like a Photoshop key.
That's the PrintScreen key :ssh: The pause/break key has a || pause symbol.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

NihilCredo posted:

That's the PrintScreen key :ssh: The pause/break key has a || pause symbol.

Right. Whoops, brain-fart. Either way, looks too much like this:

So was this based on a template or did you do it yourself? Like I said, looks good.

Samael Jackson
Aug 26, 2008

POWER OF THE MACK DAD
I went with WASD since I saw a lot of elitist hate for the cherry stabilizers in Leopold and Ducky.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I wish they'd let you pick your LED colors because I hate blue. I'm thinking of getting another keyboard to keep at work but I might just buy a cmstorm or something cheap like that.

crait
Apr 29, 2012

by angerbot
Keyboard Megathread? I'm not sure if this belongs here or not, but I'm a programmer and I need something better than QWERTY... I'm tired of it! So, I created my own layout. It's called Hasten and it's designed to have the integrety that programmers and designers need.

Best of all, it's not only for PC, but also for Android!

http://crait.net/hasten-keyboard-release-for-pc-and-android/

Hasten keyboard layout...

Standard keyboard layout...

crait fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 30, 2012

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

crait posted:

Keyboard Megathread? I'm not sure if this belongs here or not, but I'm a programmer and I need something better than QWERTY... I'm tired of it! So, I created my own layout. It's called Hasten and it's designed to have the integrety that programmers and designers need.

This is quite an accomplishment! I have never seen a more effective way to demonstrate a person's intelligence by way of keyboard layout.

PROTIP: If you want a non-Qwerty layout just use Dvorak. If you insist on being a retarded hipster, there's always the Colemak option. Otherwise you'll be hosed every time you want to install a new operating system.

Also you're using integrity in a way that makes no sense. (I followed the link to your web page and you also use a lot of words nonsensically there, too.)

I looked at it again and you put the period up where the tilde used to be, way out of reach. And the tilde is... disappeared. I was wondering for a second how you managed to remove the tilde, backslash and both curly braces from the layout but then I realized you added upside down question mark and exclamation mark characters, and ×, and you have _two_ fullstop characters on the keyboard.

So you call yourself a programmer and you see no need for tildes, backticks, or curly braces.

Edit: Edited the post above.

shrughes fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 30, 2012

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The spanish upside-down ! and ? are also a weird choice for a supposedly programmer layout.

I still maintain a real programmers keyboard needs more keys not less! (see a few pages back)

crait
Apr 29, 2012

by angerbot

~Coxy posted:

The spanish upside-down ! and ? are also a weird choice for a supposedly programmer layout.

I still maintain a real programmers keyboard needs more keys not less! (see a few pages back)

Thanks for reminding me. Those photos are outdated! They are supposed to be braces. { & }

shrughes posted:

So you call yourself a programmer and you see no need for tildes, backticks, or curly braces.
Read the above. And no, I see no need for tildes or backticks. Pearl is freaking retarded and how often do you seriously use the bitwise NOT? I don't ever use it.
And how can you complain about the fullstop characters? I hope you're confusing the bullet for one.... The bullet is used for lists of things and not as a period. It's centered in the middle of a letter's height. And the period is used a lot in programming, too.

crait fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 30, 2012

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

crait posted:

Aren't those the same :confused:

I'm honestly surprised you didn't do away with the capslock, replacing it with some control key. Where do you use the bullet in programming?

crait
Apr 29, 2012

by angerbot

unpronounceable posted:

Aren't those the same :confused:

I'm honestly surprised you didn't do away with the capslock, replacing it with some control key. Where do you use the bullet in programming?

Not now that I realized I had an earlier version of everything uploaded to my website. Check 'em again.

crait fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 30, 2012

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

crait posted:

Thanks for reminding me. Those photos are outdated! They are supposed to be braces. <i>{</i> & <i>}</i>

Read the above. And no, I see no need for tildes or backticks. Pearl is freaking retarded and how often do you seriously use the bitwise NOT?

:aaaaa:

Backticks are not just used in Perl, they're also used in (unix) shell scripting, and in LaTeX, and in Markdown, and in Ruby, and they have a deprecated meaning in Python. (And meanings in many other languages, like quasiquoting in Common Lisp. e: Oh and how could I forget, making named infix operators in Haskell.)

And the tilde is used for bitwise not (which I have used frequently enough -- the last time I used it was Friday evening) (you're saying you never use bitmasks or any API that uses them?), they're used in pattern matching operators in Ruby and Perl, and more importantly they're the name of the home directory, found in a lot of URLs, and they're a special character in SSH sessions, they're used for array concatenation in D, for irrefutable patterns in Haskell, in format strings in Common Lisp, and I think some language uses them for negative signs.

shrughes fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 30, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

crait posted:

Thanks for reminding me. Those photos are outdated! They are supposed to be braces. <i>{</i> & <i>}</i>

Read the above. And no, I see no need for tildes or backticks. Pearl is freaking retarded and how often do you seriously use the bitwise NOT? I don't ever use it.
And how can you complain about the fullstop characters? I hope you're confusing the bullet for one.... The bullet is used for lists of things and not as a period. It's centered in the middle of a letter's height. And the period is used a lot in programming, too.

OK is English not your native language or are you simply a mentally ill person?

crait
Apr 29, 2012

by angerbot

shrughes posted:

:aaaaa:

Backticks are not just used in Perl, they're also used in (unix) shell scripting, and in LaTeX, and in Markdown, and in Ruby, and they have a deprecated meaning in Python. (And meanings in many other languages, like quasiquoting in Common Lisp.)

And the tilde is used for bitwise not (which I have used frequently enough -- the last time I used it was Friday evening) (you're saying you never use bitmasks or any API that uses them?), they're used in pattern matching operators in Ruby and Perl, and more importantly they're the name of the home directory, found in a lot of URLs, and they're a special character in SSH sessions, they're used for array concatenation in D, for irrefutable patterns in Haskell, in format strings in Common Lisp, and I think some language uses them for negative signs.

I only use the tilde in C very infrequently and the tilde when I SSH into my other server once in a blue moon. Like I said, this is an alternative. I know a lot of programming languages, but I honestly never use Python, Perl, or Ruby. Those are the most common languages that I actually don't use.

And don't get me started on Lisp.... Ugh. Absolutely hate that language. Almost as bad as Java.

crait fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 30, 2012

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

crait posted:

Best of all, it's not only for PC, but also for Android!

http://crait.net/hasten-keyboard-release-for-pc-and-android/

This is so stupid. Not that there's anything wrong with you using your own weird layout, but the fact that you're advertising it, that you think somebody might want to use it. You have period on there twice for god's sake. What is ×? Is there any programming language out there that would parse that? Nothing mainstream, I know that much. And where are tilde and backtick? Why remove characters at all?

What really ticks me off is that you present this with no justification. You have given nobody any reason to use your layout. There was a website that got very technical comparing different metrics for each layout, that was at least semi-convincing.

No, what you've done (at least from what I can tell) is taken the letters on a keyboard, permuted them seemingly at random, removed a few, and called it a "programmer's layout." Why is your layout any better than any random permutation of characters? More importantly, why is it so good that it's worth the pain of abandoning the layout that 99.8% of other computers use?

I find incredible irony in the fact that you described DVORAK et al. as "just too obscure and nonsensical" while at the same time introducing this monstrosity.

Again, nothing wrong with you having your own setup if it works for you. But you haven't even come close to meeting the standard of evidence for convincing anyone in their right mind to use your layout.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

crait posted:

I only use the tilde in C very unfrequently and the tilde when I SSH into my other server once in a blue moon. Like I said, this is an alternative. I know a lot of programming languages, but I honestly never use Python, Perl, or Ruby. Those are the most common languages that I actually don't use.

And don't get me started on Lisp.... Ugh. Absolutely hate that lanague. Almost as bad as Java.

So it's a layout for people who don't use bitmasks or popular dynamic languages or Unix or SSH and who use Unicode bullet characters a lot.

And ×??? This right here is the LoseThos of keyboard layouts.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

shrughes posted:

So it's a layout for people who don't use bitmasks or popular dynamic languages or Unix or SSH and who use Unicode bullet characters a lot.

And ×??? This right here is the LoseThos of keyboard layouts.

No no no, but those are all dumb languages people shouldn't use anymore. And they should use bullet marks more because beep boop we should all communicate in bulleted lists. See, if only we would reorganize all our computing and our society to MY way, the world would be so much better! This is the first step in showing people the self-evident glory of that best way.

You know that saying about how madness is living in a society of one? About that...

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 30, 2012

crait
Apr 29, 2012

by angerbot

Magic Underwear posted:

This is so stupid. Not that there's anything wrong with you using your own weird layout, but the fact that you're advertising it, that you think somebody might want to use it. You have period on there twice for god's sake. What is ×? Is there any programming language out there that would parse that? Nothing mainstream, I know that much. And where are tilde and backtick? Why remove characters at all?

What really ticks me off is that you present this with no justification. You have given nobody any reason to use your layout. There was a website that got very technical comparing different metrics for each layout, that was at least semi-convincing.

No, what you've done (at least from what I can tell) is taken the letters on a keyboard, permuted them seemingly at random, removed a few, and called it a "programmer's layout." Why is your layout any better than any random permutation of characters? More importantly, why is it so good that it's worth the pain of abandoning the layout that 99.8% of other computers use?

I find incredible irony in the fact that you described DVORAK et al. as "just too obscure and nonsensical" while at the same time introducing this monstrosity.

Again, nothing wrong with you having your own setup if it works for you. But you haven't even come close to meeting the standard of evidence for convincing anyone in their right mind to use your layout.

I program daily... all the time. So, I put a keyboard layout with the keys that I use most frequently and moved the keys so they're more comfortable for me. Dvorak keys are not placed for better speeds or for easier use. They are nearly as random as QWERTY. Colemak is the only that seems to come close to being natural, but for me, this is most natural. Now, I'll state it again: There are not two periods on this keyboard. The one that replaces the tilde is a bullet symbol?

Now, about why I was advertising this? I wasn't advertising this 'randomly.' I saw a megathread and decided to post in it becuse I felt it was relevent. I'm not against criticism. I enjoy getting all kinds of feedback. If you don't like it, then you aren't forced to use it. But if I use it and I feel like it's more comfortable for me, then maybe it could be for someone else, too?

shrughes, hmm, bullets can be used outside of programming? I use them often enough to see a need for a constant key for them.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
What programming language uses a bullet symbol?

crait
Apr 29, 2012

by angerbot

Cream_Filling posted:

What programming language uses a bullet symbol?

Now that you've posted something that isn't 100% troll, I'll direct something to you: I doubt any languages use it. It's there because... Get ready for this... I use it outside of programming. Wow.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

crait posted:

shrughes, hmm, bullets can be used outside of programming? I use them often enough to see a need for a constant key for them.

If you're actually typing the unicode or latin-1 bullet character, you're not typesetting your bulleted lists properly.

crait posted:

Dvorak keys are not placed for better speeds or for easier use. They are nearly as random as QWERTY.

I'm sorry but you designed your layout around the word HASTEN.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

crait posted:

Now that you've posted something that isn't 100% troll

He's not trolling.

For the record I also think you're mentally ill.

crait
Apr 29, 2012

by angerbot

shrughes posted:

I'm sorry but you designed your layout around the word HASTEN.

No, I did not. It just happened to be in the middle. I didn't realize until I finished it. It was originally going to be called something else until I saw it was there.
Whenever I joined this website, I was under the assumption that there were people... not as... retarded... as some of you are acting.

crait fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 30, 2012

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
If you type 'farts' on the qwerty keyboard it spells 'acrid' on the hasten keyboard

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
This is just crazy. I can accept the bullet key, fine. But explain ×. It can't be used in programming. It can't be used anywhere.

Explain removing backtick and tilde. It is beyond the point of believability that you use bullet so much that it gets its own key but that you have to go loving copy and paste ~ and ` out of a symbol table. It's unreal.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Why is the colon in a more accessible position than the semicolon?

Also why is the comma

quote:

Whenever I joined this website, I was under the assumption that there were people... not as... retarded... as some of you are acting.

Whenever might that be?

Oh wait it was today.

Edit:

Also, why are the angle brackets up in the top left? Do you use bitwise xor more frequently than comparisons?

Also, why does your keyboard layout not come with a status LED on the caps lock key?

shrughes fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 30, 2012

crait
Apr 29, 2012

by angerbot

Magic Underwear posted:

This is just crazy. I can accept the bullet key, fine. But explain ×. It can't be used in programming. It can't be used anywhere.

Explain removing backtick and tilde. It is beyond the point of believability that you use bullet so much that it gets its own key but that you have to go loving copy and paste ~ and ` out of a symbol table. It's unreal.

I'm sorry, but the only time I use the tilde is once in a blue moon in C or whenever I need to get to my home directory when I SSH to my server. Honestly, though, I find it as a wasted space on my keyboard to have it there. As far as programming is concerned, I mostly use C, C#, PHP, or a few other languages. I use Java just because I'm required to for work sometimes, but I loving hate it. Those hardly ever to never use the backtick. I don't see why that's so hard to believe.

crait fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 30, 2012

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

crait posted:

I'm sorry, but the only time I use the tilde is once in a blue moon in C or whenever I need to get to my home directory when I SSH to my server. Honestly, though, I find it as a wasted space on my keyboard to have it there. As far as programming is concerned, I mostly use C, C#, PHP, or a few other languages. I use language just because I'm required to for work sometimes, but I loving hate it. Those hardly ever to never use the backtick. I don't see why that's so hard to believe.

Are you drunk?

crait
Apr 29, 2012

by angerbot

shrughes posted:

Why is the colon in a more accessible position than the semicolon?
Because I use it a hell of a lot more than the semi-colon, but I still use them both often enough to not move them far away from where they naturally are on the QWERTY keyboard.

shrughes posted:

Also why is the comma
Because I use proper grammar and need to access it often. It's also used in programming. Wow.

shrughes posted:

Whenever might that be?

Oh wait it was today.
drat, dude. You figured me all out.

shrughes posted:

Also, why are the angle brackets up in the top left? Do you use bitwise xor more frequently than comparisons?
Hm, HTML uses them and vectors in C.... there are reasons for having them besides comparison, right? Or do you not use languages other than beginner-level Linux interpreter languages? I don't know if you're thinking you're almighty or something by telling me I need the tilde more than these brackets.

shrughes posted:

Also, why does your keyboard layout not come with a status LED on the caps lock key?
Hahahaha.

shrughes posted:

Are you drunk?
Alright, then tell me how often I use those symbols.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
You didn't explain ×. Explain ×. × is not used in any language or any shell or in anything at all. In normal writing × is trivially replaced by x, or by * when used to mean multiplication. Why does × get a spot when backtick and tilde don't?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Yes. loving explain ×.

crait posted:

Hm, HTML uses them and vectors in C.... there are reasons for having them besides comparison, right? Or do you not use languages other than beginner-level Linux interpreter languages? I don't know if you're thinking you're almighty or something by telling me I need the tilde more than these brackets.

Go back and reread my question and notice how I mentioned bitwise xor. Then put on your reading comprehension goggles and reread it again. Notice how much easier it is to type the xor operator.

Edit: Don't bother with the reading comprehension goggles until you've loving explained ×.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crait
Apr 29, 2012

by angerbot

Magic Underwear posted:

You didn't explain ×. Explain ×. × is not used in any language or any shell or in anything at all. In normal writing × is trivially replaced by x, or by * when used to mean multiplication. Why does × get a spot when backtick and tilde don't?

There are calculus operators for both • and × outside of the standard * multiplication. Whenever I type math reports, I use both. But at the same time, the bullet is also used in lists.
I use both more than tildes and backtick. Both are outside of programming. So what? I specifically said, "programming and design" in my first post in this thread, so I don't get why people are so shocked by this.

• Locked thread