Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The worst part about Witcher 1 is forcing myself to stop trying to fight as if I'm playing Witcher 2. I breezed through the Prologue on Hard just fine, but because my fingers slipped back into Witcher 2 mode, the dogs at the beginning of Chapter 1 absolutely annhilated me the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

So I loaded up this game for the first time, read the OP, played the tutorial, seemed to instantly get the hang of everything and felt pretty drat smug about it. At the end of the tutorial it says,"Now we'll bring in several waves of fighters, how many you are able to defeat will give you a recommended difficulty setting." No problem, I think, prepare myself and step into the red circle.

"We recommend EASY difficulty setting for you." :negative:

I have you beat.

I prepare myself, and easily handle all the enemies, final wave starts to launch, and I figure I should use my traps.

Set them all down around the area, and then start drawing them to them by launching an Igni, which blows up all the traps, and sends Geralt flying out of the Arena.

"We Recommend Easy"

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Rookersh posted:

I have you beat.

I prepare myself, and easily handle all the enemies, final wave starts to launch, and I figure I should use my traps.

Set them all down around the area, and then start drawing them to them by launching an Igni, which blows up all the traps, and sends Geralt flying out of the Arena.

"We Recommend Easy"

Haha, this sounds like a lot of fun! :) I haven't tried the tutorial, but now I want to...

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
I just got this game and I'm playing through it for the first time... just spent the better part of the day playing through most of Act 1. It's very polished; I like the characters and story seems deep but accessible. But honestly I can't help walking away from my playtime feeling extraordinarily frustrated with the gameplay. Here's my rant.

I got quickly slaughtered in the tutorial, but figured I'd try and push myself with "Normal" difficulty. I quickly learned that the game is just utterly and brutally punishing of simple mistakes. The combat doesn't feel intuitive or balanced. Successful parries seem like guesswork, dodge rolls get stuck on enemies or environment half the time, and the recovery time from casting a spell like Quen is usually enough time for the enemy to get a strike in and make it a waste in the first place. I feel like the difficulty in the game is just learning how the game wants me to play it, rather than in executing the right moves.

Things brings me to what I'm hating most about the game: reloading after you die or otherwise gently caress up. The autosave is always five to ten minutes old and now you get to re-drudge through all the cutscenes again. Why should I have to hit F5 every two minutes in case elves ambush and slaughter me when the game could just have me restart at the beginning of the fight? I was doing a sneaking mission and at one point I guess I stepped outside of the sneaking boundary and Geralt started prancing around like normal. So of course the guards jump on me, slaughter me, and now I get to reload my save that's all the way across town before the cutscene. Compelling gameplay if I've ever seen it. I won't even get started on how ridiculous and frustrating I found the first two boss fights to be.

If you want the combat to have a rhythm, that's fine and I'll learn how to dance the dance... or would if you don't kill me on the first misstep. On that note, would it really have killed them to include a healing sign or in-combat health potion? Sure would have eased the learning curve. Nothing like getting knocked down and watching a bleed tick down your health to zero knowing there's nothing you can do but groan because you realize you haven't saved recently.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Unponderable posted:

If you want the combat to have a rhythm, that's fine and I'll learn how to dance the dance... or would if you don't kill me on the first misstep. On that note, would it really have killed them to include a healing sign or in-combat health potion? Sure would have eased the learning curve. Nothing like getting knocked down and watching a bleed tick down your health to zero knowing there's nothing you can do but groan because you realize you haven't saved recently.
Witching is all about preparation, that's why they made it so you can only use potions before combat.

Other than that I have very similar complaints about the combat system though.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Unponderable posted:

stuff

Spam that quicksave and dodge dodge dodge. It's far from a perfect system but it should get easier after the first chapter for you.

On darkmode I have to dodge all over the place and use hit-and-run tactics against most enemies. It's pretty effective and should carry over to normal. I don't even bother with parry. Bombs and potions for knowingly difficult parts, but they aren't necessary the vast majority of the time.

2nd edit: actually I've been using a ton of bombs, but haven't potioned up as often as I could.

folgore fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 30, 2012

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Witching is all about preparation, that's why they made it so you can only use potions before combat.

Other than that I have very similar complaints about the combat system though.

And it has the annoying weak start where you have not many abilities but have to fight off swarms of bad guys.

Especially for cheap fights such as the nekker swarms in the cave lost soldiers side quest.

Once you start to unlock more skills in the talent tree you get more and more ways to cheaply even up the odds. It's really rewarding fighting another massive nekker swarm in Act II but actually being able to destroy it thanks to have more ability upgrades.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

etalian posted:

And it has the annoying weak start where you have not many abilities but have to fight off swarms of bad guys.

Especially for cheap fights such as the nekker swarms in the cave lost soldiers side quest.

Once you start to unlock more skills in the talent tree you get more and more ways to cheaply even up the odds. It's really rewarding fighting another massive nekker swarm in Act II but actually being able to destroy it thanks to have more ability upgrades.

I was excited to see how that fight went on my dark mode playthrough, so when I headed that way to retrieve something for a quest I potioned up and got ready. I got to the ambush area, and there were like 8 bandits already fighting the nekkers; 3 with crossbows, one with a greatsword, one with a shield and sword, and 3 with single blades. And I forgot to pull out my steel sword when they came after me next :saddowns:.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Okay, I'm fighting an Nilfgardian sorcerer in chapter 2 who is absolutely murdering me. His Quen is too strong. It goes down occasionally by itself for a second or so at a time but I don't think I can knock it down by myself. As a test I once threw ten bombs straight at him in a row, zero damage. I can dodge 9/10ths of his fireballs but even then I lose the war of attrition because I am doing so little damage to him. I haven't even gotten him below 50% yet (and I'm completely hopped up on potions + hanged man's venom), I must be doing something fundamentally wrong.

edit: also what is with the insane delay (sometimes about three seconds of Geralt standing perfectly still) between the time that you want to throw a bomb and the time it actually throws sometimes? Is it a bug, or some weird design decision?

I just got finished with this fight and all the advice I can give you is spam daggers and bombs and let Ves do all the tanking.

I had 20 grapeshots and 17 daggers and I was fresh out after that battle. Also I think Geralt needs to get a refund from wherever he learned Quen because EVERYONE'S seems better than his. I can't remember one instance of an enemy that uses quen and it acts like Geralts version. :v:

Unponderable posted:

I just got this game and I'm playing through it for the first time... just spent the better part of the day playing through most of Act 1. It's very polished; I like the characters and story seems deep but accessible. But honestly I can't help walking away from my playtime feeling extraordinarily frustrated with the gameplay. Here's my rant.

I got quickly slaughtered in the tutorial, but figured I'd try and push myself with "Normal" difficulty. I quickly learned that the game is just utterly and brutally punishing of simple mistakes. The combat doesn't feel intuitive or balanced. Successful parries seem like guesswork, dodge rolls get stuck on enemies or environment half the time, and the recovery time from casting a spell like Quen is usually enough time for the enemy to get a strike in and make it a waste in the first place. I feel like the difficulty in the game is just learning how the game wants me to play it, rather than in executing the right moves.

Things brings me to what I'm hating most about the game: reloading after you die or otherwise gently caress up. The autosave is always five to ten minutes old and now you get to re-drudge through all the cutscenes again. Why should I have to hit F5 every two minutes in case elves ambush and slaughter me when the game could just have me restart at the beginning of the fight? I was doing a sneaking mission and at one point I guess I stepped outside of the sneaking boundary and Geralt started prancing around like normal. So of course the guards jump on me, slaughter me, and now I get to reload my save that's all the way across town before the cutscene. Compelling gameplay if I've ever seen it. I won't even get started on how ridiculous and frustrating I found the first two boss fights to be.

Combat in Act 1 of W2 wants to be demon's souls so bad but fails due to lack of balance and good abilities.

Then Act 2 rolls around and everything clicks and becomes fun. Act 1 just feels really odd and unintuitive. Geralt's abilities just don't mesh with the enemies.

And I know exactly which stealth section you are talking about. I managed to glitch it out about 3 different ways and had to revert to a save from 30 minutes ago because it was so bad. Lowest point of the game in my opinion.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Red Mundus posted:

And I know exactly which stealth section you are talking about.

I managed to glitch it out about 3 different ways and had to revert to a save from 30 minutes ago because it was so bad. Lowest point of the game in my opinion.

It's the classic forced stealth sequence for a game which really isn't built around stealth and ends up being annoying.

Similar to the annoying Act 2 zombie soldier scenes where you lose all your special abilities.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Red Mundus posted:

I just got finished with this fight and all the advice I can give you is spam daggers and bombs and let Ves do all the tanking.

I had 20 grapeshots and 17 daggers and I was fresh out after that battle. Also I think Geralt needs to get a refund from wherever he learned Quen because EVERYONE'S seems better than his. I can't remember one instance of an enemy that uses quen and it acts like Geralts version. :v:
The most important question is, do knives and bombs wear down his Quen, or do they just glance harmlessly off it forever? Should I only be throwing knives at him when it is down? He gets it back up so fast though that if I start throwing knives and bombs then, I think most of them will hit once it is already back up.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

The most important question is, do knives and bombs wear down his Quen, or do they just glance harmlessly off it forever? Should I only be throwing knives at him when it is down? He gets it back up so fast though that if I start throwing knives and bombs then, I think most of them will hit once it is already back up.

Nothing can hurt him when his Quen is up so simply dodge the fireballs over and over while Ves attacks uselessly. After around 3-4 dodges throw a bomb or dagger and it should connect, if not that's fine just keep dodging and repeat the same steps.

Every once in awhile Ves will land a hit and stagger him and then you can get a few sword hits in. It's a really lovely boss battle sadly.

etalian posted:

Similar to the annoying Act 2 zombie soldier scenes where you lose all your special abilities.

Oh god, that's where I left off recently to eat dinner and completely forgot that part is coming up. Not looking forward to that poo poo.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Red Mundus posted:

Nothing can hurt him when his Quen is up so simply dodge the fireballs over and over while Ves attacks uselessly. After around 3-4 dodges throw a bomb or dagger and it should connect, if not that's fine just keep dodging and repeat the same steps.
How long his Quen is active is related to how many fireballs he throws?

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Samurai Sanders posted:

This is why I love sword spec. You can save up that adrenaline and instant kill people who are a pain in the rear end, with a few exceptions. It's very satisfying to execute that guy. Geralt even cut him down while he had his Quen up :smug:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Torsade de Pointes posted:

This is why I love sword spec. You can save up that adrenaline and instant kill people who are a pain in the rear end, with a few exceptions. It's very satisfying to execute that guy. Geralt even cut him down while he had his Quen up :smug:

And the insta-kill animations are pretty amazing, especially the group kills against human type enemies.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I was almost all sword last time, but this time I am going almost all alchemy. It has worked really well up until now...

edit: in that fight I finished off all the Nilfgardian soldiers with like two zerkanian suns + stunned instakill, for example. The boss seems un-stunnable though.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I have a Little Sisters quest question

Isn't failing this quest MUCH better than actually finishing it. You get an awesome trophy and the diagram to a kickass sword from the demon you slay or you get a couple coins if you slay the spectres and save the pantshitter. Am I missing something?

Also in the roche's path are there any point of no return type quests? Seems all of them are in the "lets wait and see what happens next" kind and I don't want to finish one and miss out on the others.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

keyframe posted:

Isn't failing this quest MUCH better than actually finishing it. You get an awesome trophy and the diagram to a kickass sword from the demon you slay or you get a couple coins if you slay the spectres and save the pantshitter. Am I missing something?

It's the principle of the matter for me. If you accuse the guy of murder, the ghosts have successfully tricked Geralt and that poo poo's not happening on my watch.

Kinetic Tools
May 6, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

I believe it knocks them down, but Quen is still active so you won't do any damage anyway. Does Quen even weaken from bombs and knives? And how does it respond to magic?

There are only two or three enemies in the whole game who can use Quen anyway so I haven't studied its effects very well. All I know is that in that first fight with Letho he can be hitstunned while trying to cast Quen, but not this guy.

Even if it doesn't do damage, time knocked down still lets their quen tick down. Not sure if there's anything else one can do but wait out the clock. However if hitting their shield makes it expire faster, that's all the more reason to aard 'em. Keeps 'em still for the 'getting up' animation.

Kinetic Tools fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 30, 2012

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

RBA Starblade posted:

Thanks. I helped the Order take out the Scoi'tel in the swamp so I was curious how it handles things.

That choice won't lock you out of anything, but it will affect various stuff all the way to chapter 5. The choices with lockout are made at bank robbery in chapter 3 and at end of chapter 4

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Ahah, poor Roche. I just had a good old-fashioned fist-fight in Act 2, and all Geralt did was cheap shot him with kicks to the groin and right crosses, before clotheslining him into the dirt.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Pyromancer posted:

That choice won't lock you out of anything, but it will affect various stuff all the way to chapter 5. The choices with lockout are made at bank robbery in chapter 3 and at end of chapter 4

Wait wait, chapter 5?

I'm 30 hours into this game and only just finished chapter 1...

Is this game really that big?

Also, I'm really disliking my Blasphemer armor because of the smoke effect. Around what point can I replace the swords with equal quality ones during chapter 2? Or Am I stuck with them untill later chapters ? :(

Mikojan fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 30, 2012

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Mikojan posted:

Wait wait, chapter 5?

I'm 30 hours into this game and only just finished chapter 1...

Is this game really that big?

They're talking about Witcher 1. Witcher 2 only has three acts.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I was thinking about things relating to Saskia, knowing what I now know about her, and why didn't Phillippe realize that she wasn't human, in all her medical such-and-suches in order to cure her of the poison? She must have the best drat human disguise ever.

edit: lesbomancy is the best word this game has taught me, only slightly ahead of whoreson.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Dear Dark Mode,

I'd like to thank you for having the autosave before the last boss of Act II be with Geralt standing on top of the boss's toes, with his back turned, and his sword sheathed. I am endlessly stoked about having to reload into Geralt being hit for 359 damage and knocked down, and being left with the barest sliver of health. Also, thank you for making the trebuchet missiles now bounce, and have splash damage when they do it. This is the best thing ever.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Samurai Sanders posted:

I was thinking about things relating to Saskia, knowing what I now know about her, and why didn't Phillippe realize that she wasn't human, in all her medical such-and-suches in order to cure her of the poison? She must have the best drat human disguise ever.

edit: lesbomancy is the best word this game has taught me, only slightly ahead of whoreson.

I would venture to guess that Phillipa wanted her to be poisoned, as part of the setup to ensorcelling her. Pretty much all of the terrible poo poo in this game can be attributed squarely to the Lodge, so it's pretty easy to add that to the pile.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

As far as I know, she DID know, because that poison would kill her if she wasn't a human.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh...well, I didn't know that she was in on it from that early a time, coming from the Roche side before. The only reason I knew Saskia was a dragon before was because my friend who was playing it at the same time as me on the Iorveth path blabbed about it accidentally, since he didn't know that wasn't revealed in the Roche path.

Speaking of Saskia, when you fight her in the prologue to chapter 2 on the Roche side, she was a complete pushover, and I couldn't figure out if that was an important plot element or just because the game was going easy on you because you're controlling a guest character. Is she actually good at fighting?

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

keyframe posted:

No, you are pretty much right on with it. I honestly thing the "Quest failed" in this case is more of an oversight/bug then an illegitimate ending.

The Witcher is literally a game that tries its hardest to make you as cynical as possible about being a hero. Save the peasants? Grats, most of them are superstitious racists raping bastards. Save the nobility? Ditto, but in pinstripes. Mages? Hah!

Its actual hard to find likeable people and Geralt seems to have met them all. Saskia is more rare for being an honestly good hearted and female champion more so than the other notable thing.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh...well, I didn't know that she was in on it from that early a time, coming from the Roche side before. The only reason I knew Saskia was a dragon before was because my friend who was playing it at the same time as me on the Iorveth path blabbed about it accidentally, since he didn't know that wasn't revealed in the Roche path.

Speaking of Saskia, when you fight her in the prologue to chapter 2 on the Roche side, she was a complete pushover, and I couldn't figure out if that was an important plot element or just because the game was going easy on you because you're controlling a guest character. Is she actually good at fighting?
It was going easy on you. (Later in Chapter 2 of Iorveth's Path): She's just as invincible as any companion when you're off killing Kaedwenis together.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What is that Nilfgaard sorceror boss people are talking about? Is that some Iorveth path thing because I never came across it in my Roche playthrough.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Asehujiko posted:

What is that Nilfgaard sorceror boss people are talking about? Is that some Iorveth path thing because I never came across it in my Roche playthrough.

Yes it's for the Iorveth Path where you have to escape from the Nilfgaard camp.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Berk Berkly posted:

The Witcher is literally a game that tries its hardest to make you as cynical as possible about being a hero. Save the peasants? Grats, most of them are superstitious racists raping bastards. Save the nobility? Ditto, but in pinstripes. Mages? Hah!

Its actual hard to find likeable people and Geralt seems to have met them all. Saskia is more rare for being an honestly good hearted and female champion more so than the other notable thing.

At this point in the first game I'm considering siding with the Order solely because Siegfried is the first person who doesn't know Geralt from before he came down with a case of explosive amnesia who isn't a complete rear end in a top hat to him, and actually tries to help out.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

PureRok posted:

They're talking about Witcher 1. Witcher 2 only has three acts.

Yeah, and there's still an active Witcher 1 thread, which is why I don't get why people are talking about it here... it's getting hard to keep track at a glance, particularly when people aren't prefacing which game they're talking about.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

etalian posted:

Yes it's for the Iorveth Path where you have to escape from the Nilfgaard camp.

Well that is interesting... I was confused as to which boss people were referring to even though I went the Iorveth path. Now I remember him but am confused as to why people found it difficult. He and Letho (and honestly any boss in the game) can be beaten by keeping your distance until their quen is down, aarding and slashing 3 times until you're out of vigor, then repeating. I was so juiced on potions I think it took like 6 hits to kill him (although I may have also been in berzerk mode).

vvv Well yeah, I don't plan on doing that fight in Dark mode. I remember those horrible gargoyles and I have no desire to revisit that. That fight is pretty much designed to make you hate the world.

pogothemonkey0 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 30, 2012

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

pogothemonkey0 posted:

Well that is interesting... I was confused as to which boss people were referring to even though I went the Iorveth path. Now I remember him but am confused as to why people found it difficult. He and Letho (and honestly any boss in the game) can be beaten by keeping your distance until their quen is down, aarding and slashing 3 times until you're out of vigor, then repeating. I was so juiced on potions I think it took like 6 hits to kill him (although I may have also been in berzerk mode).
The only one I'm having problems with now is the Operator because he is fought in a tiny room full of clutter to get stuck on while dodging, he can knock me down at will by simply getting near me(he teleports) and has a pile of souped up Gargoyles as friends, which is pretty much the last enemy I would want to fight inside confined spaces and have some utter bullshit instant kill moves too that they don't telegraph at all.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

The only one I'm having problems with now is the Operator because he is fought in a tiny room full of clutter to get stuck on while dodging, he can knock me down at will by simply getting near me(he teleports) and has a pile of souped up Gargoyles as friends, which is pretty much the last enemy I would want to fight inside confined spaces and have some utter bullshit instant kill moves too that they don't telegraph at all.

Ugh, speaking of getting stuck dodging, I HATED going into the catacombs with all those stupid dwarves. They just kept following me and getting so close I'd have rotfiends on one side and dwarves on the other and would be stuck. I got to the point where I was running as quickly as I could to the next place where enemies spawn and get as much fighting done as I could before the slow dwarves could catch up.

InvisibleHand
Aug 23, 2009
Nap Ghost

Asehujiko posted:

I'm not ashamed to admit it I had to switch to easy difficulty to defeat the Operator. At the time of that fight I was wielding some kickass swords and the best armor and the gargolyes were front-hitting me for half my health on NORMAL.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, and there's still an active Witcher 1 thread, which is why I don't get why people are talking about it here... it's getting hard to keep track at a glance, particularly when people aren't prefacing which game they're talking about.

Where? I don't see it in the first six pages of Games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

RBA Starblade posted:

Where? I don't see it in the first six pages of Games.

I assume its this one, though 'active' is probably being a bit generous. The last post is from April 18th, and the next-to-last page starts at February 7th.

• Locked thread