Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

dopaMEAN posted:

I ended up picking up the 300 HS from Bestbuy today, since it was such a great deal at $150. After playing with it a bit, I think I probably made a decent choice. The S100 looked fantastic, but I had to come to terms with the fact that I'm not good at operating cameras, so the manual features aren't worth it. On my last camera my brother adjusted the ISO and it took me 4 months of grainy pictures to realize something was wrong. Maybe some day I'll deserve a really nice camera, but not yet :)

That's a good choice and a good deal. Enjoy your camera - and if you're feeling ambitious, figure out how the ISO and EV controls work on the 300. You can really improve some pictures with even minor tweaks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hello P&S shoot goons I am in need of some advice for my sister who is moving countries soon and needs a camera for her travels. I don't really know much about P&S cameras so I thought I would ask you lot. Here is a list of her 'requirements' as she gave them to me:

• Small size.
  • Fast boot up time.
  • Able to print decent quality 8x10's.
  • Decent zoom.
  • Around $300ish.

I apologise if that list is ridiculous for that price but that's what she was after. She will be pretty flexible so don't worry too much. Thanks!

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Red_Fred posted:

Hello P&S shoot goons I am in need of some advice for my sister who is moving countries soon and needs a camera for her travels. I don't really know much about P&S cameras so I thought I would ask you lot. Here is a list of her 'requirements' as she gave them to me:

• Small size.
  • Fast boot up time.
  • Decent zoom.
  • Around $300ish.

I apologise if that list is ridiculous for that price but that's what she was after. She will be pretty flexible so don't worry too much. Thanks!

You can get a refurbished S95 for that price.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_276388_-1

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

TheAngryDrunk posted:

You can get a refurbished S95 for that price.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_276388_-1

That would be perfect but I don't live in the US. :frogdowns:

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Pillbug

Red_Fred posted:

• Small size.
  • Fast boot up time.
  • Decent zoom.
  • Around $300ish.

Pocket superzoom. Canon SX230, Sony HX9V, or Nikon S9100 come to mind. Scroll a few posts up, I've recommended these before.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Hello Goons! I don't frequent this forum normally and didn't actually realize it existed until earlier today. I guess I should explore the forums more...:negative:

I do a lot of motorcycle riding both off and on road. This takes me to some very interesting places with very nice scenery. I've been using my iPhone to take pictures on my adventures, but I haven't been happy with the quality of the photos and decided to look into a point and shoot camera.

I didn't want to spend more than $200 for the camera and it had to fit in my riding jacket or motorcycle tail-bag. I ended up ordering a Nikon S8200 refurb for $179. I'm not really a camera guy and although I did read the OP (after I bought the camera!:doh:) it's pretty much over my head.:eng99:

For the price should I have gotten something different? $200 is/was my max, but if there is something that would be much better I could send it back.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
You could consider a GoPro camera like this one http://amzn.com/B002VA57XC. Gopro makes HD video cameras with really good mounting hardware (so you can have the camera on your handlebars shooting video as you go). It also doubles as a point and shoot and you can set it to take pics as you go along automatically.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

eriddy posted:

You could consider a GoPro camera like this one http://amzn.com/B002VA57XC. Gopro makes HD video cameras with really good mounting hardware (so you can have the camera on your handlebars shooting video as you go). It also doubles as a point and shoot and you can set it to take pics as you go along automatically.

I want a go pro, but I wanted something that I could just take out of a pocket for shots. With a go pro for good shots I'd have to un-mount it from either my helmet or the bike and take it out of the case for quality shots. At some point I intend to pick up a Hero 2 for video but right now all I'm after is still pics and some rare video.

If I could afford it I would have a nice Nikon DSLR with a decent lense selection, but at the moment that's not in the cards. My goal is to carry the S8200 pretty much 24/7 and try to shoot 100k+ pictures this year. I ordered 4 Sandisk class 10 16gb cards with it and in my spare time at work I want to play with it some. If I hit my goal and fall in love with photography I want to pick up a better camera at some point.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
What's a decent water/shock proof p&s that looks like a regular p&s and doesn't have the xXxtr3mE OutDoor SpOrtz design with pastel colors?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ringo R posted:

What's a decent water/shock proof p&s that looks like a regular p&s and doesn't have the xXxtr3mE OutDoor SpOrtz design with pastel colors?

I think you can get some of the Fuji ones in black and they're decent for basic shooting as I've heard. The Olympus Stylus Tough series has some goofy metal trim to it but you can get them in grey/black.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Looks like Olympus' new tough camera has an f/2-4.9 lens in it. That's got to be the first time a rugged camera actually has a decent lens in it.

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/05/01/olympus-goes-nuts-possibly-promoting-its-new-uber-durable-camera

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Ringo R posted:

No idea how it performs, but the Ricoh PX was in a mailshot I received this morning. GB£79.99

It looks as ordinary as any other point and shoot.

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 2, 2012

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

HPL posted:

Looks like Olympus' new tough camera has an f/2-4.9 lens in it. That's got to be the first time a rugged camera actually has a decent lens in it.

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/05/01/olympus-goes-nuts-possibly-promoting-its-new-uber-durable-camera

I am loving the hell out of that. I wonder if they tested those by letting a bunch of kids beat the poo poo out of them too

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Is there any reason why I should not buy this Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS for $115? Our family has no digital camera other than the ones on our smartphones. We just want something to take pictures of on our trips that is separate from our Android phones for the sake of just snapping pictures. I believe strongly in separate devices for certain tasks.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/737...BBQAAAAAGOkJNig

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Pillbug

Insane Totoro posted:

Is there any reason why I should not buy this Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS for $115? Our family has no digital camera other than the ones on our smartphones. We just want something to take pictures of on our trips that is separate from our Android phones for the sake of just snapping pictures. I believe strongly in separate devices for certain tasks.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/737...BBQAAAAAGOkJNig

You shouldn't buy it if you want manual controls - but it doesn't really sound like you do. It's a pretty good cam at a great price.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
I want to push button, get picture, upload to Facebook for wife.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Insane Totoro posted:

I want to push button, get picture, upload to Facebook for wife.

Perfectly fine for that.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

DJExile posted:

Perfectly fine for that.

Thanks, now talk me into that $200 Ruger 10/22 with the M1 carbine stock already installed.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Insane Totoro posted:

Thanks, now talk me into that $200 Ruger 10/22 with the M1 carbine stock already installed.

It's cheap on ammo.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Anyone know when that new Olympus Tough is due out?

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Read thru the last few pages of this thread. I'm also looking into a travel zoom camera. Getting married in September and would like a nice honeymoon camera.

My list of priorities are

1 portability - doesn't need to be canon 300hs thin but has to fit in the coat pocket, would be happy with canon 150sx size, unfortunately excludes most dslr/four thirds/nex
2 good low light images
3 zoom at least 10x

don't really care about gps and video

Budget: 1000 usd max but preferably less than 500

It seems like the recommendations are canon sx230(the 260 doesn't seem like much improvement), sony hx20v(updated version of hx9v), panasonic sz7. Is there a camera with good low light capability like s100 but with at least 10x zoom?

I've been playing around with snapsort and those 3 seems to fit the criteria. Any other recommendations

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

You're probably asking a bit too much to want both great low light and a superzoom. I'd stick to one with good low light, and keep in mind a good P&S can still allow you to give a fairly good crop to an image these days. Where are you going and what do you want to shoot?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Where are you going for your honeymoon? I found that in Europe, out of all my lenses, I used my telephoto the least, maybe once or twice. Being able to zoom in a ton is nice, but generally the compromise involved isn't worth it.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Maybe a crazy idea, but for $500 you could get an s100 and a zoomy p&s, and then you won't have to share!

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
My current camera is a sony tx5(rugged waterproof camera, 4x zoom, poor aperture, small sensor but imo good photos). I really like that camera and the waterproof capability is great. I've gone snorkeling with it and it came out like a champ. The fiancee is also quite the klutz so the ruggedness comes in very handy.

We're having a destination wedding/honeymoon in Maui. I've been there before and there is so much beautiful wildlife that I had found myself wishing for at least 10x zoom quite often. The low light capability is because the fiancee always wants me to use flash so that she is more visible and I dislike the photo that come out. I frequently take two photos, one with her and one without her to get the pic that I like.

I was toying around with the idea of buying both s100 and a decent travel zoom but then why not just upgrade to four thirds/nex to get good zoom and great lowlight and switch out lenses for portability.

I'm leaning toward hx20v now after reading reviews from trustedreviews and photographydailynews and a few youtube reviews.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Glad you have a waterproof camera- that's what we got our labmate for his honeymoon in Hawaii, and they used it a ton.

If you are ok with the larger camera, go for it. The S100 is really compact, as are some of the 10x travel zooms. I'm not sure what would be more awkward- carrying around a mirrorless and an extra lens or two, or a couple of compacts with extra batteries.

----
I just came across an announcement for a new Sony P&S. Does anyone know anything about the Sony DSC-RX100 20mp 1"sensor, f1.8 lens, in what looks like a fairly small body. Color me interested- will be interesting to see how this stacks up to the X10 and GX1. And gently caress you B&H, for your "hands on preview" not giving dimensions or focal range.

edit: Must have been an NDA ending tonight- a better preview just up on DPReview Looks like it isn't perfect but has a nice upside for a large-sensor p&s

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 6, 2012

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Glad you have a waterproof camera- that's what we got our labmate for his honeymoon in Hawaii, and they used it a ton.

If you are ok with the larger camera, go for it. The S100 is really compact, as are some of the 10x travel zooms. I'm not sure what would be more awkward- carrying around a mirrorless and an extra lens or two, or a couple of compacts with extra batteries.

----
I just came across an announcement for a new Sony P&S. Does anyone know anything about the Sony DSC-RX100 20mp 1"sensor, f1.8 lens, in what looks like a fairly small body. Color me interested- will be interesting to see how this stacks up to the X10 and GX1. And gently caress you B&H, for your "hands on preview" not giving dimensions or focal range.

edit: Must have been an NDA ending tonight- a better preview just up on DPReview Looks like it isn't perfect but has a nice upside for a large-sensor p&s

Holy crap. I just found my new camera. Its as if Sony read my mind and took a look at my bank account too! There goes 650 bucks. :negative:

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

quote:

1" Exmor CMOS sensor

Exmor is the sensor technology in the Nikon D800 that has everyone gushing.

This could be an interesting camera.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

TheAngryDrunk posted:

This could be an interesting camera.

too bad it's f4.9 on the long end.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I'm pretty sure that's just their name for any CMOS sensor made by Sony. My sister has a Sony P&S that says "Exmor" on it, and it sucks rear end.

This DSC-RX100 camera would be more exciting with a 1" sensor if it wasn't 20 megapixels. Sony is always chasing the megapixels at the expense of image quality. It's a good thing their engineers are so good at working within the limitations their dumbass marketing executives give them.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Costello Jello posted:

I'm pretty sure that's just their name for any CMOS sensor made by Sony. My sister has a Sony P&S that says "Exmor" on it, and it sucks rear end.

Hmm... it might just be a new variation of the sensor in the D800 then.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201201/12-009E/index.html

For example, I know the D4 doesn't have the same tech as the D800 sensor.

So yeah, this may not mean poo poo for this new camera.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Hoping I'm not asking for too much but looking for a camera under 200 that I would mostly be using for concerts (outdoor/indoor). So it needs to have a good zoom, HD video (I hear mono mics sound better for concerts) and be under 200. Is this possible?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thread title should be updated to RX100 now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Harry Privates posted:

Hoping I'm not asking for too much but looking for a camera under 200 that I would mostly be using for concerts (outdoor/indoor). So it needs to have a good zoom, HD video (I hear mono mics sound better for concerts) and be under 200. Is this possible?

Unfortunately, that's asking a ton to be under $200. I've never honestly been thrilled with on-board microphones, and I'd imagine most concerts would just fuzz them out pretty hard depending on how close you are and the music. Plus all the people much closer to you and the microphone going YEAH WOOOOO YEAH all the time.

You might be better off with a dedicated video camera and an attachable mic, honestly. Plus it'd be a hell of a lot more comfortable to hold.

In other news, THE TOUGH TG-1 IS HERE. IT IS ALSO IN MY HAND. IT MAY ALSO HAVE BEEN IN MY PANTS

I'm going to be spending a ton of time in/around the lake with some friends going waterskiing and such, so this should be a great.

Initial impressions, it certainly feels well built. Nice rubberized texture where you want it. The doors for the battery/SD card and TV/power jacks actually have two locks on them going two different ways, so you can't possibly open it accidentally, especially underwater.

The screen is fantastic. Plenty bright and sharp. Shitloads of different scene/setup modes (including some crazy artistic ones) seems to counterbalance the first complaint I have: You can't manually set the aperture. Still, it seems to pick it out well. Like Tough models before it, you can set it to a "tap" setting, where touching the sides works the zoom, and the top of the camera itself is the shutter. This was put in to make it easier to operate with gloves. Neat.

It comes with a seriously well-made wrist strap. It's going to break the bracket before the strap itself breaks. Nice addition.

No battery charger. Instead you're given a USB cord and plug and you charge the whole thing like you would a cell phone. First I've seen of that although maybe others do it as well to save on costs. No real complaints there.

I'll do a more thorough review tonight if I can.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 7, 2012

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
If you need great video, get a used/refurbed Sony DSC-HX9V.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Harry Privates posted:

You're in luck because the panasonic sz7 just went on sale for 170, amazon was selling it for 230.

http://www.target.com/p/panasonic-lumix-dmc-sz7k-14-1mp-digital-camera-with-10x-optical-zoom-black/-/A-14107162

14MP 10x zoom f/3.1-5.9 1080p@30 or 720p@60, not sure whether its mono or stereo mic

http://snapsort.com/cameras/Panasonic-SZ7-specs

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Pillbug

Radbot posted:

If you need great video, get a used/refurbed Sony DSC-HX9V.

While this is a solid recommendation, my real question is, why are you not getting a camcorder? If you want good video and good zoom and good sound, you're really asking a lot of a P&S. You might get acceptable results, but a dedicated device would be much better.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I was under the impression that all development on consumer camcorders was basically over and now they just take one of their camera sensor/lens packages from a still camera and put it in a different body.

Capt. Carl
Jan 14, 2007

Fear is the darkroom where the Devil develops his negatives.
I kind of want an s95 for shooting pictures and video in Taiwan for a blog. If I buy a refurbed one it would be around 315 after all is said and done. Should I just do it live and get a new one for 400 on amazon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Capt. Carl posted:

I kind of want an s95 for shooting pictures and video in Taiwan for a blog. If I buy a refurbed one it would be around 315 after all is said and done. Should I just do it live and get a new one for 400 on amazon?

I've been purchasing refurb stuff for a long time and never had an issue. Honestly I've never seen the difference between them and factory new. I don't see why you'd spend the extra $85.

• Locked thread