Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Mickolution posted:

On that point, other than Snuffbox, I really can't think of a sketch show I've enjoyed since Big Train, probably.
did you watch Limmy's Show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Black Books, Blackadder, Snuffbox, Red Dwarf up to the 6th series, Inbetweeners, Ideal, The IT Crowd, Father Ted and Peepshow are some of my suggestions.

The fast show is still one of my favourites, the humour holds up despite it being from the 90's.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Mickolution posted:

Agree with that, there was some great Drama back then, but if you're used to modern stuff, it can be a little slow. I recently watched Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy and while I loved it, if a series of it was made now, it'd probably have half the episodes.

And that's bad :colbert:

Tinker, Tailor is a story that really needs room to breathe.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Hoops posted:

Richard Herring's Objective was on the Comedy of the Week podcast this week and it's really cemented my dislike for him. I just find his material so weak, there's nothing really there other than applying basic extrapolations to get to a gag that doesn't do anything for me at all. I know it's a character, but his "petty and self-pitying" schtick just annoys me.
I never really thought much of Richard Herring's Objective, but I found As It Occurs to Me to be much funnier, especially after the first few episodes when the cast are more confident with the format. Watch it in order as it's very self referential, you'll be talking about Cumpkins and saying "aside" before you know it.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

SavoyTruffle posted:

The 'crass little Beegees incident' is actually very funny. If anybody comes out of it badly, it's not Clive. If we're going to climb far enough up our own bottoms to start using phrases like 'crass little Beegees incident', then I'd say that the Beegees interview is a seminal moment, a perfectly formed display of the raging, humourless ego and entitlement complex of the modern celebrity. It also demonstrates that the now-dead Beegee was the best one, because he had a sense of humour.

Are you saying that the ONLY GOOD BeeGee is a DEAD BeeGee?

That's crass.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Dilkington posted:

I've seen Spaced, The Office, Extras, Fawlty Towers, I'm Alan Partridge...

...and just recently I've come to really, really love The Thick Of It. What other British comedies or sitcoms should I look into?

I love Nathan Barley, but lots don't.

Paperhouse posted:

did you watch Limmy's Show?

Yes, forgot about it though. Was pretty good. Bit patchy, but all sketch shows are really. Second series was a lot better than the first. Any sign of a new series, do you know?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

And that's bad :colbert:

Tinker, Tailor is a story that really needs room to breathe.

You're probably right, but I was just pointing out the difference between stuff now and then. Did you like the film?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Hoops posted:

Richard Herring

Like you say, he seems to do so much nowadays that a lot of it is bound to be hit or miss, but his touring shows are always great in my opinion (although I missed this year's).

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Mickolution posted:

Yes, forgot about it though. Was pretty good. Bit patchy, but all sketch shows are really. Second series was a lot better than the first. Any sign of a new series, do you know?
A third series has been confirmed, no idea when it'll be on though

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Just randomly looking on amazon, you can get every fast show (7 dvd's) for £11 seems like a good deal.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Fast-Show-Ultimate-Collection/dp/B000VA3JAC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335788392&sr=8-1

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Ohh, I hope that stays there for a while at that price. Waiting to get paid...

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Haha, BBC America showed a bleeped version of The Thick Of It. How the gently caress is that meant to work.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Leyburn posted:

Haha, BBC America showed a bleeped version of The Thick Of It. How the gently caress is that meant to work.

It'll have to be renamed 'The Bleepy Scottish Man Show' then. Poor Tucker.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Hoops posted:

Richard Herring's Objective was on the Comedy of the Week podcast this week and it's really cemented my dislike for him. I just find his material so weak, there's nothing really there other than applying basic extrapolations to get to a gag that doesn't do anything for me at all. I know it's a character, but his "petty and self-pitying" schtick just annoys me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kQNVd3anis

I agree though, he has become a bit of a lazy slag on his radio/podcast appearances. I also agree with Junkenstein about the live thing, but also haven't seen him in a couple of years.

Also Red Dwarf, really? From the bits I've caught on Dave here and there I'd say it's aged horribly. In fact I'd go so far to say that my 13-year-old self may have had poo poo taste in TV comedy.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Series 1 to 6 is fine, then everything went down the shitter.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, Red Dwarf has not stood up well over the years.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
S1,2 remain really good for the most part.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, Red Dwarf has not stood up well over the years.

Some of the stuff has aged horribly yeah. Oddly enough, except the Cats outfits.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
It's the Alan Partridge Movie! :dance:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Unkempt posted:

It's the Alan Partridge Movie! :dance:

I take it we'll be seeing what really happened at the end of his auto biography then?

dos4gw
Nov 12, 2005
Today's Jeremy Kyle was the best one I have seen in ages, I highly recommend it. Hilariously, clichéedly shouty and horrible guests and Jeremy working his usual magic.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

dos4gw posted:

Today's Jeremy Kyle was the best one I have seen in ages, I highly recommend it. Hilariously, clichéedly shouty and horrible guests and Jeremy working his usual magic.

Every jeremy kyle show is the best jeremy kyle show, hours of enjoyment every day, he should get a knighthood.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Leyburn posted:

I'd actually be kind of curious to see this. I imagine the sonic experience is something similar to acid house.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

cloudchamber posted:

I'd actually be kind of curious to see this. I imagine the sonic experience is something similar to acid house.

Would look like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkYtT_SPUdM

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

dos4gw posted:

Nah, the best one was on a couple of weeks ago. This woman accused her uncle of stealing her GPS and claimed the stress of the incident caused her to miscarry.

Not to forget... TEEEEEEEETH! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkVUQRAmuD0

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

netally posted:

Not to forget... TEEEEEEEETH! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkVUQRAmuD0
Now I see where the stereotype comes from, holy poo poo. Where do these people come from?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Flipswitch posted:

Now I see where the stereotype comes from, holy poo poo. Where do these people come from?

Innsmouth.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Flatscan posted:

Innsmouth.

I see worse every day, but then I do live in Blackpool.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
What other dramas with serialized story arcs are recommended? I loved the Shadow Line, first few seasons of Hustle, Survivors both the old and the new, Luther, and Inside Men (which MORE PEOPLE need to watch!). I have an excruciatingly boring day job that I cannot tolerate without a movie or a TV show going to occupy my mind while I mindlessly work. This means I end up watching a ridiculous amount of TV, since movies aren't long enough, and serialized TV stories with good production and writing are really what I need. Any suggestions?

I watched the first episode of the Black Mirror, but thought the plot was utterly moronic. Does it get better?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

hairrorist posted:

I watched the first episode of the Black Mirror, but thought the plot was utterly moronic. Does it get better?

Second one is excellent, third one is boring.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

hairrorist posted:

What other dramas with serialized story arcs are recommended? I loved the Shadow Line, first few seasons of Hustle, Survivors both the old and the new, Luther, and Inside Men (which MORE PEOPLE need to watch!). I have an excruciatingly boring day job that I cannot tolerate without a movie or a TV show going to occupy my mind while I mindlessly work. This means I end up watching a ridiculous amount of TV, since movies aren't long enough, and serialized TV stories with good production and writing are really what I need. Any suggestions?

If you don't mind going a bit further back, State of Play is fantastic.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

hairrorist posted:

Regardless of your opinion of a BM episode, you should check out the others. Apart from the "kinda scifi" theme, they're all very different beasts. I've read accounts of each of the three episodes being someone's favourite, and each of the episodes being someone's least favourite.

(That's a tiny lie, I don't know anyone who hated 15 Million Merits more than BOTH of the others.)

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
Black Mirror was admirable and entertaining most of the time but also flawed.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

hairrorist posted:

A comedy rather than a drama but Ideal has a very serialised story-line and cracking writing.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Z-Magic posted:

A comedy rather than a drama but Ideal has a very serialised story-line and cracking writing.

I can't second this enough, a lot of people who glimpse at Ideal and see a Slobby Vegas, drugs and the man in the cartoon mask and assume it is low brow drug related trash but the writing and music are both very well done and the cast is exceptionally likeable.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
I love comedies but they tend to distract me. I'll give it a shot though. I loved Peep Show.

ScipioAfro
Feb 21, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

If you don't mind going a bit further back, State of Play is fantastic.

I think this is a perfect pick coming off that range of shows listed. It's also always worth mentioning 15 Storeys High as a go to British sitcom for the question a bit further back.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
Picked up State of Play and am watching the first episode--it looks like a great show.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I will keep posting about Edge of Darkness from 1985 until someone quotes me and agrees it is awesome.

e: The lead actor is Bob Peck aka the crazy game hunter from Jurassic Park. :worship:

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 1, 2012

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Also, I think Armando Iannucci might be brilliant.

On an unrelated note: I recently watched Life's Too Short- just more of the same isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

tanglewood1420 posted:

I will keep posting about Edge of Darkness from 1985 until someone quotes me and agrees it is awesome.

e: The lead actor is Bob Peck aka the crazy game hunter from Jurassic Park. :worship:

He's also Gravy Jones's avatar.