Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO
I'm probably late to the party, but my friend, Mr. I-only-have-one-final, posted this and complained about how all the law students who bitch about law school are being dramatic.

I was like "I loving LOVE THIS THING."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Got some marks back today...

2 A+

:smug:

I need to finish my paper though or I'll end up with an incomplete...

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Solid Lizzie posted:

I'm probably late to the party, but my friend, Mr. I-only-have-one-final, posted this and complained about how all the law students who bitch about law school are being dramatic.

I was like "I loving LOVE THIS THING."

Definitely my current favorite: http://wheninlawschool.tumblr.com/post/21860705585/when-i-take-my-last-final-exam-as-a-3l

ten nine days...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Zarkov Cortez posted:

2 A+

Everyone hates you.

(Also, what kind of second rate school has A+s?)

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
I wish I was still in law school.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

tau posted:

When i was in law school I certainly wasn't on SA (or even at home) at 10PM on Saturday.

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO

tau posted:

You can take all my exams.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Solid Lizzie posted:

You can take all my exams.

Don't wish for me to do that unless you like riding the (backend of) the curve.
Hey, but at least I had fun!

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Zarkov Cortez posted:

2 A+

I need to finish my paper though or I'll end up with an incomplete...

Lol whatever you're from Canadia so that's probably like a 1/2 pass Congrats! I've never gotten an A+ (for the top grade in the class only at my school) and it's on my list of things to do before I graduate :smith:

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Anybody ever come out of law school into a job on an "eat what you kill" basis? I've got an offer to come work for a small (3-4 attorney) firm that mostly does employment and family law, and they're looking to expand their practice to do transactional work. That's primarily what I'd like to do, and it's the city I want to be in, but I'm afraid I'd starve before I ever got something off the ground. Any suggestions/advice?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Mons Hubris posted:

Anybody ever come out of law school into a job on an "eat what you kill" basis? I've got an offer to come work for a small (3-4 attorney) firm that mostly does employment and family law, and they're looking to expand their practice to do transactional work. That's primarily what I'd like to do, and it's the city I want to be in, but I'm afraid I'd starve before I ever got something off the ground. Any suggestions/advice?
If nothing else is available, that sounds better than going solo without experience or being unemployed.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mons Hubris posted:

Have supportive parents or a capital bank.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

CaptainScraps posted:

Have supportive parents or a capital bank.

Yeah... that's kinda what I'm afraid of. This is the full email I got:

quote:

You could join me on an "eat what you kill" basis. I would supply the office and in lieu of rent, would take a percentage of your earnings.

I would want you to primarily develop a transactional practice and perhaps do bankruptcy, but I'd want you to help me with litigation from time to time. The other point I noticed from your resume is your engineering degree. You really ought to consider taking the patent bar. IP litigation is one thing that I get asked about from time to time, but I've rarely gotten into. One thing that I am fairly certain about : there are a bunch of "little guys" out there who need IP counsel for litigation, but can't find anyone because the IP attorneys charge by the hour. I bet we'd be able to develop an IP litigation practice if we chose our clients carefully and got retained on a contingent fee basis.

The "eat what you kill" system has worked pretty well for us. We've been working with a woman named ____ who has done family law and traffic criminal law on that basis. Using google ads has worked for family law. I suspect it will work for bankruptcy. For transactional work, we may have to use another plan of attack. You may need to join the chamber of commerce and/or some civic groups to get to know some people. Maybe ____ can give us some ideas.

This system will not ensure that you have a big pay check immediately, but it will give you autonomy and will allow you to develop your own practice.

I've been hoping to develop a small group of attorneys that can handle 90% of what the average person needs in legal services. The addition of a transactional person will do that.

If I got compensated for helping with the litigation it might be enough to pull me through until the other clients started coming in, and at least it would be something to put on my resume. If I get some mentorship it's at least better than going solo or being unemployed, and there wouldn't be a ton of obligation to stay if something better comes up.

I don't think he knows you don't have to pass the patent bar to do IP litigation, though.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Mons Hubris posted:

I don't think he knows you don't have to pass the patent bar to do IP litigation, though.

No, but a lot of the IP work for small practices is prosecution, not litigation, and you would need to pass the patent bar for that.

edit: Plus the credential serves as an advertising point for unsophisticated clients - you can call yourself a patent attorney, which you can't do without PTO admission.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mons Hubris posted:

Yeah... that's kinda what I'm afraid of. This is the full email I got:

If I got compensated for helping with the litigation it might be enough to pull me through until the other clients started coming in, and at least it would be something to put on my resume. If I get some mentorship it's at least better than going solo or being unemployed, and there wouldn't be a ton of obligation to stay if something better comes up.

True. It's way better than going solo on your own, I'm in a similar situation where I fee-split with an established attorney.

Here's the thing about litigation though: for plaintiff's side litigation, you don't get paid until the case is finished. Roger_Mudd's already pulling profit in on his business.

I have 20 good (i mean good, these will all likely settle) litigation cases in my case file. And I've been at it for about 4 months. And I'm at maybe 3.5 grand. Next year will be a different story but right now? Echhhhh.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 29, 2012

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Mons Hubris posted:

I'd approach this situation as going solo with a mentor. The key value to you will be A) no overhead costs until you have a book of clients and B) The value of the mentoring. B is much more important and I'd have lengthy discussions about what he/she intends to offer. Let him/her know you expect both time and assistance.

See if she/he will offer you a tiny salary (ramen noodle money) in return for a greater % of your fees until the salary is met.

I would ignore his/her ideas about the future to the extent that you want to. He/She doesn't have much skin in the game and the future of your practice is yours alone. Lastly, when the value of A & B is less than the amount you are paying him, leave and take your clients with you.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Finals Request: Does anyone have sample answers for antitrust? Our share only has outlines.

Not James Buchanan
Jun 23, 2006

Not James Buchanan fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 2, 2013

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Gembolah posted:

Are you looking for answers to specific antitrust exams or are you looking for good answers in general?

Good answer in general, would just like to get some ideas on structure and depth

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Omerta posted:

All I remember about RAP are the fertile octogenarian and the precocious toddler because both terms are hilarious.

Unborn Widow would be a sweet name for a metal band

Not James Buchanan
Jun 23, 2006

Not James Buchanan fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 2, 2013

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Gembolah posted:

I might still have some stuff. I'll check when I get home.

That'd be awesome, let me know - my username at yahoo dot com.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

sigmachiev posted:

That'd be awesome, let me know - my username at yahoo dot com.

I have some stuff too, sending it over in case it helps

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Mons Hubris posted:

What % of your earnings has he proposed? Or has it not gotten to that stage yet? I can picture it going from being a great deal, to "OK now I know we discussed that small percentage. But we had to place the ads, pay the secretary more, and buy new software, so that really changes things, OK? It's going to have to be 50% for a while to recoup our costs, you know, to keep it fair".

A firm like that doesn't usually make an offer unless they expect to profit from you. "Keep what you kill" is great if it actually means that, but I'd be wary of them sticking it to you with the rates.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

woozle wuzzle posted:

What % of your earnings has he proposed? Or has it not gotten to that stage yet? I can picture it going from being a great deal, to "OK now I know we discussed that small percentage. But we had to place the ads, pay the secretary more, and buy new software, so that really changes things, OK? It's going to have to be 50% for a while to recoup our costs, you know, to keep it fair".

A firm like that doesn't usually make an offer unless they expect to profit from you. "Keep what you kill" is great if it actually means that, but I'd be wary of them sticking it to you with the rates.

We haven't gotten to the stage of discussing percentages yet. My girlfriend used to be a legal assistant for them and is a good friend of their family (this is a pure nepotism offer and favor to her, I'm pretty sure), so I'm hoping they wouldn't try to screw me. I'm out of town right now, so we're meeting in person to discuss the details in a couple weeks. If nothing else, it's something to put on the resume instead of unemployment while I keep job hunting.

I guess the thing that I find confusing is what "eat what you kill" actually means. It sounds like he plans on shopping off some litigation research or whatever to me, and I assume I would be able to get paid for my billable hours on that. If it just means he's going to pay based on my billables rather than a salary, it'd probably be ok until I got my own thing going. If I'm literally only going to get paid for what I personally bring in, and then only a percentage of that, I don't know that it would work. However, if there's not some kind of team or work-sharing aspect, I can't imagine how he would think this would expand his practice long-term because I would have absolutely no incentive to stay.

Mons Hubris fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 30, 2012

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
My guess is he will pay you a contract rate for hours you bill on his files ($30/hr or whatever you negotiate) and then take a cut of what you bring in the door, which is the important figure as noted above.

Alternatively he wants to cut you a percentage of the contingency fee on files that he sends to you, but that's less likely I think.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 30, 2012

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My firm posted a reminder that employment with the firm is contingent upon passing a conflict check. Apparently, a lateral hire was dropped because the firm could not resolve one conflict, and he had already given notice at his prior employer. His prior employer refused to rehire him, and now he is unemployed.

Ouch.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

entris posted:

My firm posted a reminder that employment with the firm is contingent upon passing a conflict check. Apparently, a lateral hire was dropped because the firm could not resolve one conflict, and he had already given notice at his prior employer. His prior employer refused to rehire him, and now he is unemployed.

Ouch.

Couldn't they just shield him from that conflict?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't know the details but apparently it was an irremediable conflict, so no.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Roger_Mudd posted:

Couldn't they just shield him from that conflict?

IIRC, aside from government / private conflicts, firewalling hasn't really been accepted by the courts. It may work to get the clients involved to waive a conflict, but it's not something you can do unilaterally. I've seen laterals get screwed by this before.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I scanned this from an old book on probate practice:

That was written in 1957 or so - good to see that law schools haven't changed.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

entris posted:

Ouch.
Yeah, it was kind of terrifying when I lateraled - I had to give notice before asking for waivers.

And then the partner didn't get me one of the waivers I needed so I had to go over his head to the client like two days before I was scheduled to start at the new place.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

entris posted:

I scanned this from an old book on probate practice:

That was written in 1957 or so - good to see that law schools haven't changed.

I started reading that just like any other book. I read the first few words of each line and waited to see a case or statute cite. About half way through, I figured I would juts download an outline

edit: can anyone share some flowcharts for wills and estates? stuff like intestate succession would be great.

HolySwissCheese fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 30, 2012

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
Vander, Esq.

(At least in the state of Washington)

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HolySwissCheese posted:

I started reading that just like any other book. I read the first few words of each line and waited to see a case or statute cite. About half way through, I figured I would juts download an outline

edit: can anyone share some flowcharts for wills and estates? stuff like intestate succession would be great.

Are you going to be asked questions that assume the UPC intestate succession rules or your state's specific rules?

Vander posted:

Vander, Esq.

Congrats.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Vander posted:

Vander, Esq.

I suggest The Lusty Lady and Paseos to celebrate.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Vander posted:

Vander, Esq.

Congrats, hope you're already downing a pint of Manny's.
Related: found out a bar in Brooklyn sells Tim's Cascade chips, might have to make a trip over there. Man, I miss Seattle.

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO
Does anyone have a "bare bones" Business Associations outline by any chance? I have an old, old one (2003) and my own (which is lengthy.) I'm just looking for something to give me as clear a picture of basic rules as possible, without getting lost in the mess of whatever my prof added in class.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Solid Lizzie posted:

Does anyone have a "bare bones" Business Associations outline by any chance? I have an old, old one (2003) and my own (which is lengthy.) I'm just looking for something to give me as clear a picture of basic rules as possible, without getting lost in the mess of whatever my prof added in class.

I have a Business Associations Bible I used that's pretty barebones.

EDIT: I added it in the LIIOB last year; some of it was updated to corresponding Restatement 3d sections, but not all of it.

tau fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/99681/Corporations%202009.doc