Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Writing one yourself because you're a web developer and your fiancee is an artist so can do design work is...a more work-intensive way. Rewarding, though! (plus I got to write my own rsvp system)

This. Fiancé is def most excited with the website. And we use google docs for RSVP'ing and it breaks it down to how many of each cupcake has been chosen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

gogogiraffes posted:

This. Fiancé is def most excited with the website. And we use google docs for RSVP'ing and it breaks it down to how many of each cupcake has been chosen.

...if we were doing cupcakes, I certainly would have added that to the system.

Anyway, without having this particular skill, I'd just go with theknot or some other one, yeah.

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?
Almost every couple I know has used ourwedding.com

Ashamee
Jan 12, 2012

ZygomaticusMajor posted:

Hey everyone, I've been following this thread for quite awhile, at least since I got engaged in 2010. Me and my fiancee were a long-distance couple, but last year I moved across the country to live with him. We originally planned to get married after I finished school, but we've been talking about it and want to get married in the next few months. The problem is our families are on opposite sides of the US, and we don't really want to pay for or organize a big wedding. We're in Utah right now so we've talked about going to Vegas to elope, but we've also talked about finding a scenic spot for a private ceremony, or just going to a justice of the peace and getting it over with. So if anyone has some advice or stories about elopement, please share.

My husband and I eloped in Vegas in 2009, and it was actually really kick-rear end. He was getting ready to head to BMT for the Air Force in March of 2010, and we wanted to get married before then, and were just considering going to the courthouse. We were going to be moving to Arizona to stay with some friends before he deployed, and the friend we moved in with was like, "If you're gonna get married anyway, let's all just go to Vegas and have some fun with it." I figured, "Sure, why not?" Things were rough at home anyway, and I didn't want to spend a ton on a wedding, or let my mom plan everything (she was trying to dictate where and when and how and was already mad at me for wanting to move away).

I ordered my dress from this site in China and got it for relatively cheap. In my husband's case, he just reused some dress clothes he'd already had that happened to match my dress. We invited eight friends to come out to Vegas for the week, drove out there, booked a cheap wedding at a really cute chapel, got the license downtown the day of the wedding and then got married at 8 pm on a Wednesday. We then walked the strip for a bit and sang karaoke and had a great time. The chapel had their own photographer, and the photos were nice, but kind of expensive, so all of our friends chipped in to buy them as a wedding present. Do I regret it? Not one bit! Things are better between my mom and I now, and everyone was really happy for us anyway. I'd do it again, for sure. I think, in total, we spent $300.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

silvergoose posted:

...if we were doing cupcakes, I certainly would have added that to the system.

Anyway, without having this particular skill, I'd just go with theknot or some other one, yeah.

It's really nice. And there's a few templets made already that you can add names, addresses, price per seat, if you've invited them, if they've rsvp'd (and how many) and if they've sent a gift, it's a life saver.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

triplexpac posted:

My fiancee wants to do one of those websites that people can visit to get all the maps & info they'll need for our wedding. Is there a general consensus on what is the best website for that? A friend suggested weddingwire.com , just curious what else is out there.

My cousin used one for her wedding last month and I thought that it was pretty tacky. It felt thrown together and very disorganized, almost like they did it at the last second and tried to make it look good. The had music on it and it was not "Oh that's romantic" kind of music, I'm talking the crappy lovey-dubby stuff that annoys anyone who listens to it. They also used a lot of improper grammar in certain places (then again, I was an English major and can't stand improper grammar) that was pretty bad. My other cousin who is getting married in June felt the need to do one also and it's even worse that her sister's was. There's inside jokes on one page that no everyone gets and they also felt the need to include how her future husband proposed to her. Now while some people might feel that it's nice to let people know about it, I think that it isn't necessary and should be told by them.

Personally I don't like them, but if you want to use it, then go head it's up to you.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

screenwritersblues posted:

Words about websites

We left all that out. Our wedding is pretty.. Different? We're getting married at a baseball field, before a game, the game is our reception. So we have a page for our wedding party, RSVP, pictures of us and dog, the day of schedule, registry, RSVP form, and a FAQ page. The FAQ page covers what to wear (we've had a lot of questions over that) the hotel we have a block at and a few other things. Oh, and no music.

The pre-made ones are pretty bad. But pretty generic as most people do understand how to put websites together.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Wedding websites are pretty standard now. I used The Knot's service and aside from their server going down for a day, right around when our Save The Dates with a link arrived, it's fine. I'd suggest getting your own domain name and redirecting it to the site, instead of using whatever.ourwedding.com

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Does anyone have any advice on where to store the dress in the months before the wedding?

I am picking mine up tomorrow and the wedding is in six months. I'd like to TRY to keep my fiance from seeing it (not that he would sneak a peek anyway), but I can't think of somewhere to keep it where I can be reasonably confident that it won't get ripped, stained, flooded out, peed on, faded, burned...

I'm excited to be trying my dress on again, but it'll be slightly marred by the fact that my mother has bailed on paying for it like she said would would. My fiance and I are paying for the wedding ourselves, and this is the one thing she offered to contribute towards.

I ordered my dress at the end of January because she wanted me to do it while she still had the money. Then it turned into "well, I don't have the money now, but I get my tax return the first week of February, so I promise you I'll get it to you then!"

So I paid the deposit myself, which was half of the total cost of the dress. She didn't send the money when she said she would, and a week later, I got a call from her and the first thing she said was "I'm driving your dress!" She bought a loving car instead, but insisted she would get me the money before my dress came in.

First it was the end of February when my stepdad got paid again. That came and went. Then she insisted it would be at the beginning of April. Nothing. This past Friday the shop called me to let me know my dress is in, so I called her today and told her. She says, "Well, I don't know what to tell you, I don't have the money for it."

Three months. Three loving months she's had. I wouldn't have minded if I had had to pay for it myself if she had not offered to pay for it in the first place. I've been independent from her for six years. I live within my means even though I make very little. I never ask her for ANYTHING. We are paying for this wedding ourselves on a reasonable budget. She keeps hemming and hawing about how she feels bad that she can't help out more, but that $500 a month car payment didn't just happen to her on its own. Ugh. Now I'm going to have to use money budgeted for other things to pay for this dress, which I wouldn't have bought in the frist place if I was paying for it on my own to begin with.

It's not the biggest tragedy in the world because at least I can pay to take my dress home tomorrow, but I wish I could count on her for SOMETHING, especially when it's something she INSISTED on doing. :(

Sorry for the rant. I'm just so pissed I could spit right now.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Butt Wizard posted:

A couple I know has theirs at ourwedding.com. Looks nice enough, basically like a blog.

Honestly you could probably just use a blog.

We just got Save the Dates from friends of ours that are getting married that had theirname.ourwedding.com on them. Checking that out today.

I am seriously getting stressed about Wedding stuff.

I have my own wedding thats in June of 2013, I am the best man in a wedding in May of 13 and a best man in a wedding in July of 13.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

pastor of muppets posted:

Does anyone have any advice on where to store the dress in the months before the wedding?

I am picking mine up tomorrow and the wedding is in six months. I'd like to TRY to keep my fiance from seeing it (not that he would sneak a peek anyway), but I can't think of somewhere to keep it where I can be reasonably confident that it won't get ripped, stained, flooded out, peed on, faded, burned...

The safest way to store your dress is in the garment bag, lying flat somewhere. Do have any bridesmaids or maid of honor that lives nearby that could store it for you in a spare bedroom?

If that's not an option, underneath a bed that your pets don't have access to?

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

GoreJess posted:

The safest way to store your dress is in the garment bag, lying flat somewhere. Do have any bridesmaids or maid of honor that lives nearby that could store it for you in a spare bedroom?

If that's not an option, underneath a bed that your pets don't have access to?

Don't put it in an attic.

My cousin did this, as it was a new home and she didnt think she would have to worry about mice.

She had to get a dress in >2 weeks before her wedding because that was when she pulled it out to start getting everything ready for the wedding and found it had been chewed up in spots.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

JackRabbitStorm posted:

Don't put it in an attic.

My cousin did this, as it was a new home and she didnt think she would have to worry about mice.

She had to get a dress in >2 weeks before her wedding because that was when she pulled it out to start getting everything ready for the wedding and found it had been chewed up in spots.

Snap, I didn't even think about vermin. And unfortunately anyone who could possibly keep it for me have pets and I have pets myself that I don't trust with it. I think I have a place in mind now though. Thanks for all the tips.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Snap, I didn't even think about vermin. And unfortunately anyone who could possibly keep it for me have pets and I have pets myself that I don't trust with it. I think I have a place in mind now though. Thanks for all the tips.

A lot of times the store you purchased the dress at offers storage, sometimes free, sometimes not. Something to look into.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

JackRabbitStorm posted:

A lot of times the store you purchased the dress at offers storage, sometimes free, sometimes not. Something to look into.

A lot of dry-cleaners offer storage too.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

I'm excited to be trying my dress on again, but it'll be slightly marred by the fact that my mother has bailed on paying for it like she said would would. My fiance and I are paying for the wedding ourselves, and this is the one thing she offered to contribute towards.

I ordered my dress at the end of January because she wanted me to do it while she still had the money. Then it turned into "well, I don't have the money now, but I get my tax return the first week of February, so I promise you I'll get it to you then!"

So I paid the deposit myself, which was half of the total cost of the dress. She didn't send the money when she said she would, and a week later, I got a call from her and the first thing she said was "I'm driving your dress!" She bought a loving car instead, but insisted she would get me the money before my dress came in.

First it was the end of February when my stepdad got paid again. That came and went. Then she insisted it would be at the beginning of April. Nothing. This past Friday the shop called me to let me know my dress is in, so I called her today and told her. She says, "Well, I don't know what to tell you, I don't have the money for it."

Three months. Three loving months she's had. I wouldn't have minded if I had had to pay for it myself if she had not offered to pay for it in the first place. I've been independent from her for six years. I live within my means even though I make very little. I never ask her for ANYTHING. We are paying for this wedding ourselves on a reasonable budget. She keeps hemming and hawing about how she feels bad that she can't help out more, but that $500 a month car payment didn't just happen to her on its own. Ugh. Now I'm going to have to use money budgeted for other things to pay for this dress, which I wouldn't have bought in the frist place if I was paying for it on my own to begin with.

It's not the biggest tragedy in the world because at least I can pay to take my dress home tomorrow, but I wish I could count on her for SOMETHING, especially when it's something she INSISTED on doing. :(

Sorry for the rant. I'm just so pissed I could spit right now.

Consider it a lesson. Someone isn't giving money unless its in your hands or they paid.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

I hate to say it, but I had a bad feeling it would happen. I like to try to think the best of my own mother, but I will never ask her for anything ever.

Butt Wizard posted:

A lot of dry-cleaners offer storage too.

I...actually hadn't thought of that. It looks like one of the local dry cleaners offers free clothing storage. I'm gonna call and see if they'd take a wedding dress.

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 29, 2012

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

gogogiraffes posted:

We left all that out. Our wedding is pretty.. Different? We're getting married at a baseball field, before a game, the game is our reception. So we have a page for our wedding party, RSVP, pictures of us and dog, the day of schedule, registry, RSVP form, and a FAQ page. The FAQ page covers what to wear (we've had a lot of questions over that) the hotel we have a block at and a few other things. Oh, and no music.

The pre-made ones are pretty bad. But pretty generic as most people do understand how to put websites together.

Well in that case, you should be OK. If it's for the wedding, then it's a different story. If it's telling people about the wedding than it's pretty much useless.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

screenwritersblues posted:

Well in that case, you should be OK. If it's for the wedding, then it's a different story. If it's telling people about the wedding than it's pretty much useless.

Exactly. No one cares how long we've been together, how we met or any of that crap.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Yeah sorry, when I say "wedding website" I just mean I want a place where I can put details about the venue, hotels in the area, all that jazz. It will be mailed out as well of course, just thought it would help people if they had a link they could go to to get all this info in one place.

Thanks for suggesting TheKnot, I'll check it out!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

(by the way, a single how-we-met page is not actually unreasonable, nor is a page letting people know who is in the wedding parties, pictures of parents, etc)

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I started making a website on TheKnot and didn't like it. Ended up at mywedding.com and found it far superior. Also, yeah why not put a little blurb about the wedding party and such on the website? If people don't want to read it they don't have to.

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?

gogogiraffes posted:

Exactly. No one cares how long we've been together, how we met or any of that crap.

You're being sarcastic right? Screenwriterblues, you know that's a conversation you're going to have with everybody over and over and over and over again every day up to your wedding day, when you'll have to repeat it so many times that the name of the place you proposed will lose all meaning? Save yourself half of those conversations and just put a little page on how you met and how you proposed and who's in the wedding party and where you are registerred and where out of town guests can stay on the website.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Plus when people ask where we met, we can just provide them a QR code to scan and it will fill them in

MsJoelBoxer
Aug 31, 2004

Your judicial opinions hypnotize me.
I had a first dress fitting on Saturday! My mom didn't want me to go by myself (I have great friends, but am shy about clothes), so she and my dad drove 4 hours from Pittsburgh just to come with me. It was so sweet; I didn't ask or expect them to do that at all.

If anyone is in the NoVA/DC area, I highly recommend Global Bridal in Alexandria. They have been really great.

Also, if you are planning a honeymoon to multiple cities in Europe, I have had a very good experience with https://www.europeandestinations.com. They were easy to get in touch with and we got a pretty sweet deal on our trip to Berlin/Prague. They've already sent us the whole packet of travel/hotel vouchers and train tickets so it's nice to have that squared away.

The big day is in less than two months, wow. I'm the production editor at a journal and just finished doing the front matter for our fall issue. It was so :3: to see my new name in print for the first time.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I have two weddings to go to in about a month, and I have a 20% off code for Amazon Home & Kitchen. Neither wedding registry is at Amazon, but I can get some of the items there for cheaper (especially with my discount). Is it totally lame to do that? Then they can't return it if they want to and it won't show as purchased when other people look at the registry :ohdear:

I'm not trying to be miserly/stingy/tight-fisted but I think it is stupid to spend extra money if I don't have to. Also I can't resist coupons; it's a sickness.

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?
On the upside, if they get 2 kitchenaids, they can keep yours and return the surplus to the store that the guest who bought off the actual registry bought from and put that store credit towards something they didn't get. I think it's just fine, a gift is a gift.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Thank you. That was more or less what I was thinking.

Turns out one of them actually has a honeymoon registry rather than a gift one so that's a problem solved I guess. (honeyfund.com is apparently a thing for that, if anyone's interested)

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.
Over this weekend I got engaged! :) I'm already stressed out by the amount of attention and questions I'm getting. And stressed out about other things in general...

My boyfriend (fiance is such a weird word) and I are planning on moving to a different state in August after my apartment's lease is up. My parents are actually almost encouraging us to get married at the courthouse because they're are old fashioned and have stated in the past that if we move in together before marriage then they wouldn't help me pay for car insurance/phone bills (something I cannot afford with my hourly wages right now). My choices are get married in a courthouse or risk being financially cut off from my family who has always supported me. Chances are they might be okay with it since we're engaged now. We're unofficially living with each other right now and paying rent for 2 separate apartments. We want to work on saving money and we can't if we have 2 apartments.

Basically is it still worth it to have a ceremony several months after you get married by the government? We could get married before we move in August and have a ceremony sometime when our families can get together.

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?
How old are you?

RetroGracey
Mar 13, 2012

*huurk*
I have encountered the 'married' but having a wedding later on thing a couple times... typically people don't seem to take well to it. By the time you have the 'real' but second wedding, people tend to see it as a money grab.

Also, definitely think about whether or not you're ready for the commitments of marriage if you still can't pay a phone bill. I'm assuming you're young, but if you can't take care of yourself, it's going to be hard to take care of each other.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Dead Pikachu posted:

Over this weekend I got engaged! :) I'm already stressed out by the amount of attention and questions I'm getting. And stressed out about other things in general...

My boyfriend (fiance is such a weird word) and I are planning on moving to a different state in August after my apartment's lease is up. My parents are actually almost encouraging us to get married at the courthouse because they're are old fashioned and have stated in the past that if we move in together before marriage then they wouldn't help me pay for car insurance/phone bills (something I cannot afford with my hourly wages right now). My choices are get married in a courthouse or risk being financially cut off from my family who has always supported me. Chances are they might be okay with it since we're engaged now. We're unofficially living with each other right now and paying rent for 2 separate apartments. We want to work on saving money and we can't if we have 2 apartments.

Basically is it still worth it to have a ceremony several months after you get married by the government? We could get married before we move in August and have a ceremony sometime when our families can get together.

Is it still worth it? That's a question only you and your fiancee can answer. How important is a wedding? Can you scale it back and have a small reception after a civil ceremony? There's no reason you can't have the wedding after, I have friends who did that. This is a very personal choice, though, so the internet can't really answer it for you.

Your parents don't have to pay your expenses. I think it's worth noting that because you may be upset that your parents aren't willing to support you if you're living together and unmarried, or even after you're married. Maybe it's moral, maybe it's that your costs would be lower living together so they don't think you would need the money as much. I'm not sure how old you are or if you have major medical expenses that they have helped with, that could make a difference. When you're married I think it becomes tougher to accept money from your parents. Hell, I'm engaged and I think it's tough.

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.
I'm 24 years old, I'm mentally ready to get married no doubt about it. I make ~$900 (these past 2 months I've been making less than 800) in a good month and $625 goes to rent/electric/water/cable. I could probably take over both of the bills my parents currently pay, but I also want to stay on good terms with them. I don't ask for money on top of that, I consider myself 90% independent. It is nice to have them to fall back to if poo poo gets tough though and that is what I'm mostly worried about. My fiance is 29 and has been independent since he was 16. He makes more money than me and has no problem paying his bills.

I just wanted to know personal experiences for civil ceremony first and then having a wedding later. The thought of a big wedding is overwhelming to me and the thought of spending so much money for one day just to please the family when we could be putting that into savings and going on a nicer honeymoon.

I'm probably just freaking out because I'm a newbie to all of these ideas. 6 months from now I'll probably be a bridezilla :(

Dead Pikachu fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 2, 2012

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I know someone who got married in a civil ceremony last year and then had a big wedding a few months later. I forget their reasons. It seemed to work out, though. They didn't really make a big deal of the civil ceremony, and their 'real' wedding was the second one as far as friends & family were concerned, I think.

Maybe you could take a middle road- get married sooner rather than later, but elope (maybe with your very closest family members) and have a dress and a cake and flowers and stuff, but not the huge extravaganza that a lot of people want. If you don't WANT a huge wedding and you don't WANT to spend loads of money on one day, what exactly is stopping you from just having a little cheap wedding?

miseerin
Apr 4, 2008

"You obviously don't know what 'boarding party' means."
Also, don't rule out destination weddings... they don't have to be on tropical resorts. This is also a good middle ground... no big wedding, just a couple people, and hey, you're at your honeymoon location! Two birds.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)
So my girlfriend and I were ring hunting and she fell in love with this flowery filigree designed ring with a central opal cut sapphire. We were all set to go back to the jeweller and order it and suddenly she is unsure of she wants it or wants to be 'safe' with a 3 stone diamond-sapphire-diamond setting. Advice as to the pros and cons would be appreciated.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Nuntius posted:

So my girlfriend and I were ring hunting and she fell in love with this flowery filigree designed ring with a central opal cut sapphire. We were all set to go back to the jeweller and order it and suddenly she is unsure of she wants it or wants to be 'safe' with a 3 stone diamond-sapphire-diamond setting. Advice as to the pros and cons would be appreciated.

Pros: It's probably less expensive. It's unique. It may stack more easily with her wedding ring if she wears them together.

Cons: 3-stone is more common. More diamonds.

miseerin
Apr 4, 2008

"You obviously don't know what 'boarding party' means."

Nuntius posted:

Tell her to wait for a few days to think about it. In the mean time, find a store like Forever 21 or Charlotte Russe (basically a junior's store with a TON of jewelry selections), and find an $8 knockoff of the two rings as close as you can get to the design. If you wanna go nuts, check out the jewelry dept at Macy's or something and get the $40 knock off. Have her wear the two rings like engagement rings for a couple days and see which she likes better.

I was always wanting something more like the sapphire you were describing, something uniquely shaped... I'm not a three-stone kinda gal. My fiance knows my love for antique accents in the band, and got a custom ring at a local jeweler. It's three-stone, but it compliments soooo nicely with the flowering design in the band. I wouldn't have it any other way. But if I was completely in charge of picking out my ring, I would buy knockoffs and see which I liked to wear more.

e: Also, I don't know if you've thought to look, but Etsy.com has a TON of super unique rings. I got his ring from a guy on Etsy, and I know of at least one person on here who actually bought from the guy after seeing my SO's ring. Etsy's got a great selection, sometimes people will custom-make a ring according to her specifications. Just something to chew on while you're thinking about it.

miseerin fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 2, 2012

Cpaka
Jun 6, 2007

Nuntius posted:

When I was ring shopping, I looked in a number of local jewelry stores, as well as online for a design for a nice sapphire engagement ring. I didn't really find anything that struck a chord with me, and ended up going to a small, independent jeweler and having a custom ring made. The process was interesting, creative, and involving, and one that I personally enjoyed a lot. The end result was a beautiful, unique ring that is completely and entirely "yours" and quite literally one-of-a-kind - if that sort of thing is important to you. Don't discount the possibility of having something custom made, because you have a much greater amount of control over the final product.

EDIT: I guess I should mention that I'm the guy and the ring was a "secret", she had no direct knowledge or input into the design. Obviously your situation is different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.
Thanks for the ideas :) I'm starting to relax a little more about it. I think it was just nerves getting to me. Do people normally pay their way to get to destination weddings or are those paid for by the bride's parents or? My fiance's parents wouldn't be able to afford to fly anywhere and not to mention they're divorced. He's worried his dad wouldn't even make effort to come if it's far away.

On the ring side he proposed with a sterling silver Claddagh ring because he wanted to surprise me and let me design the "real" engagement/wedding ring. I'm not a fan of diamonds so we're going the gemstone route with either emerald (my birthstone) or ruby. I'm looking at antique-ish designs for a more unique feel. I'm pretty excited that he didn't choose the typical 3 diamond setting!