Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
antpocas
Jun 30, 2004

IF THIS POST ISN'T ABOUT GLORIOUS SALAZAR YOU MUST BE READING IT WRONG

Mans posted:

The worse part is that he KNOWS that they board can't really do poo poo to him. If he's fired he'll go to Porto while Benfica will fall back to hiring 2 managers per year.

How the christ did we lose the league 8 points ahead to a team led by Vitor Pereira :qq:
God I hope not

Benfica doesn't have a winning mentality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Mans posted:

It's really nut unusual for a club to end the season without money to pay it's players. Belenenses managed to stay in the first league for a few years simply because another club went bankrupt and took the relegation spot from them. This ,however, is quite the exception. It's going to be funny to see how Benfica will react to this, we'll probably bottle the game anyways.

And yeah, gently caress this gay league, gently caress JJ for chosing Emerson over Capdevilla and for deciding to take out offensive players when we need goals. JJ acts like a complete retard at times and it cost us the league. The worse part is that he KNOWS that they board can't really do poo poo to him. If he's fired he'll go to Porto while Benfica will fall back to hiring 2 managers per year.

How the christ did we lose the league 8 points ahead to a team led by Vitor Pereira :qq:

I don't think Porto is going to hire Jorge Jesus, his tainted now. Either way Jesus time at the Luz seems to be over, the fans don't want him, and there are a lot of ex-glories demanding him to the get the gently caress out, and the press is going to maul him in these following weeks.

I hear Guardiola might be available... :v:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Porto should just rehire AVB and give him his chance to be Mourinho 2.0 and win the CL.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not gonna lie, AVB would probably be decent for Benfica.

The media and fan response alone would be worth it :allears:

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

antpocas posted:

Benfica doesn't have a winning mentality.

You know, I think I have to agree with this, they just don't look hungry. No balls, no soul, no trophies...

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Leiria has officially "quit" the competition this year, meaning an automatic 3 points for the two teams that were still going to play them. Also, tomorrow there's a Porto - Sporting, with them having secured the title I'm hopeful the players will loosen up a bit and we'll beat them. 3 points from 3rd place, I want that CL.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Leiria has officially "quit" the competition this year, meaning an automatic 3 points for the two teams that were still going to play them. Also, tomorrow there's a Porto - Sporting, with them having secured the title I'm hopeful the players will loosen up a bit and we'll beat them. 3 points from 3rd place, I want that CL.

So those two teams has ended their season early since Leiria "quit"?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Turns out Leiria will play against Benfica. I don't know how that will work because half the team are Benfica's.

http://asia.eurosport.com/football/international-football/2010/leiria-backtrack_sto3258259/story.shtml

http://www.abola.pt/nnh/ver.aspx?id=329609

I don't know how clubs reach points like these. There's a massive gap in resources in the Portuguese league, i won't compare it to Spain's situation because at least here our country doesn't send tax payer money to fund Benfica or Porto.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Mans posted:

Turns out Leiria will play against Benfica. I don't know how that will work because half the team are Benfica's.

http://asia.eurosport.com/football/international-football/2010/leiria-backtrack_sto3258259/story.shtml

http://www.abola.pt/nnh/ver.aspx?id=329609

I don't know how clubs reach points like these. There's a massive gap in resources in the Portuguese league, i won't compare it to Spain's situation because at least here our country doesn't send tax payer money to fund Benfica or Porto.

Barcedilla and the Francoists are hardly the only clubs that get preferential treatment, just look at how many clubs in Spain have massive unpaid tax bills.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mans posted:

And yet the league is almost set to expand to 18 teams. :psyduck:

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Leiria is playing with a full side right now. :eek: How'd they pull that off?

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 5, 2012

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Yechezkel posted:

Leiria is playing with a full side right now. :eek: How'd they pull that off?

They have 14 players in total now, they called up all the junior players in the club. It also appears that the 5 players on loan from Benfica didn't had anything in their loan contracts forbidding them from playing against Benfica.

They actually played alright, or maybe it was just us that played like poo poo. One or the other.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
The less I say about the Porto - Sporting match the better, though two of our players got sent off in dubious decisions.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Makes u think.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Electronico6 posted:

They actually played alright, or maybe it was just us that played like poo poo. One or the other.

It seemed like both.

The only spot on the table that effects next year that hasn't been locked is the first relegated team. Académica escaped the relegation slot with a win after losing 6 straight (and not winning in 16 straight :stare:). Académica will be relegated if they lose their last game against Vitória Guimarães and Feirense wins their last game against Gil Vicente. Otherwise, Feirense will be relegated. Académica owns head-to-head tiebreaker against Feirense.

Top 5 is locked: Porto and Benfica will be in next year's Champion League, Braga gets Champion League qualifier, and Sporting and Marítimo will be in Europa League.

:toot:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That Braga form.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
3-1 Feirence losing to Gil Vicente with 10 minutes to go.
2-1 Academica winning Vitoria Guimaraes with 10 to go.

:fork:
Bye Feirence.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Feirense and União de Leiria are out, good riddance I say, two poo poo teams each in their own special way. Sporting ends the league with a win 3-2 against Braga, but it doesn't count for anything, Wolfswinkel did get a hattrick though and got the 23 goals he was aiming for this season. Now we have the final of the Portuguese Cup against Académica, if we lose Sá Pinto will be far more fragile starting off next season so it's important to get that trophy.

Benfica's Cardozo is the top scorer, same goals as Braga's Lima but in less matches. Also, Pinto da Costa confirmed Vitór Pereira will still be Porto's manager next season, every other club celebrates.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
The Portuguese Cup final between Sporting and Académica is on right now folks

vonManstein
Nov 5, 2006
Academica up 1 - nil with 6 minutes to go.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Academica.

:getin:

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
gently caress

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What the hell is going on with Luis Filipe Vieira and Pinto da Costa? I get distracted a few weeks because of college and Porto starts calling Vieira a coke snorting criminal? :stare:

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Mans posted:

What the hell is going on with Luis Filipe Vieira and Pinto da Costa? I get distracted a few weeks because of college and Porto starts calling Vieira a coke snorting criminal? :stare:

During the decisive basketball league match between Porto vs Benfica few days ago, Benfica won and horrible poo poo went down between the fans of both teams. Then Pinto da Costa said something bad about Benfica and their fans cause they reportdley started the mess, Vieira followed those allegations with "Just visiting the Pope doesn't make you any less criminal", and now poo poo just got real.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Electronico6 posted:

During the decisive basketball league match between Porto vs Benfica few days ago, Benfica won and horrible poo poo went down between the fans of both teams. Then Pinto da Costa said something bad about Benfica and their fans cause they reportdley started the mess, Vieira followed those allegations with "Just visiting the Pope doesn't make you any less criminal", and now poo poo just got real.

This owns.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Mans posted:

More details: Porto were expected to win the basketball final, Benfica wins, Porto fans go insane (apparently Benfica's coach provoked them by doing the up yours gesture, as seen in camera footage), Benfica players have to receive the trophy in their dressing room.

Vieira says this is a disgrace, that Porto is a corrupt team with a president that fled the country when he found out he was going to be arrested, that change is coming and the filth in Portugal's sport will be cleaned up one day. Porto issues a statement saying this is a call to arms and violence, that Benfica's president is a liar and has become one of the richest men in Portugal thanks to Benfica while burying the club.

Anyway, after this year we had a pretty calm season it looks like things are going to blow up next season again between Benfica and Porto.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jose Peseiro looks to be the new Braga's coach. I really don't see what he can bring to the table that Jardim couldn't do better and i think Braga could've got a much better coach. I hope it works out because i don't want them to fall back to mediocrity, seeing four teams having a decent shot at the title was refreshing in the last few years and with Sporting getting more and more unstable i don't want this league to turn (even more) into a one horsed race.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Sporting's former VP Paulo Pereira Cristovão now accused of embezzling money from the club, this from a former police inspector. At least he's finally quit the job.

I hope the rumors are true that Benfica are thinking of selling Witsel for €15m + Taiwo to Milan.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Weird news for next year:

http://www.jn.pt/PaginaInicial/Desporto/Interior.aspx?content_id=2630541

http://www.maisfutebol.iol.pt/v-gui...57557-1458.html

Vitória de Setúbal, Vitória de Guimarães and Olhanense will be eligible to play in the first league but won't be able to register any players as long their debts to the state aren't paid. Both Vitórias were in deep poo poo, i was kinda surprised with Olhanense being as bad as them too. I guess they'll have to make a firesale now so they can pay at least just enough to convince the LPFP to let them register players.

Leixoes, Belenenses, Naval, Trofense, Atlético and Desportivo de Aves are also in the same situation.

That's 3 teams from the first league and six from the second. Both leagues have 16 teams so that's almost 50% of the second league being too broke to legally play football :psyduck:

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Making it even harder for those broke small teams is the fact teams won't be able to loan players from clubs in the same division, which I think is a retarded new rule.

Player of the Season shortlist is Hulk, Moutinho and Lima. I don't think João Moutinho had that great of a season (although he was fantastic in the Euro), would have rather seen Fernando, Rui Patricio, Cardozo or Javi Garcia nominated but Hulk is winning it (deservedly) anyway.

Mean Bean Machine fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 3, 2012

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Is Sporting broke or what? They just signed the Indian national team captain Sunil Chhetri for the B team, but from what I know of Indian football, I somehow doubt he's up to the standard of even Segunda. Silly marketing stunt.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Yeah it's just a marketing play to get into the Asian markets, though I guess Indians don't care much about football. As long as we get some money out of it I'll be happy, it's not like he'll even get close to the first team.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Football is quite popular in Bengal and the city of Mumbai, and the latter alone has a population of 20 million, so it's probably not a bad investment at all. West Ham tried to sign him a few seasons ago iirc, but he couldn't get a work permit.

vonManstein
Nov 5, 2006
Yeah, apparently this strategy is working for Beira Mar. They signed rising Malaysian star Nazmi Faiz Mansor, and have already had a large bump in sales of crap on their website, and requests for Nazmi specific merchandise.

First Malaysian to play in European football, should be interesting to see how many starts he gets..

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Ras Het posted:

Football is quite popular in Bengal and the city of Mumbai, and the latter alone has a population of 20 million, so it's probably not a bad investment at all. West Ham tried to sign him a few seasons ago iirc, but he couldn't get a work permit.

Good to know. Obviously I'd prefer if we were getting players that would actually strengthen the team, but considering Portugal's current economic status and with most clubs having barely any money to function, I can understand a transfer being made solely with economic/marketing purposes. Let's just say Sporting's president was looking for foreign investors in India one month ago and now this news pop up... Honestly I can't see any glaring disadvantages with buying the guy, he'll be in the B team and maybe get a few cup matches here and there (unless he turns out to be a diamond in the rough) while Sporting will get some more shirts sold and maybe get some deal made with Indian TV channels for the broadcast of a few matches.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

You already have a bunch of fans in Goa: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporting_Clube_de_Goa

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Surprising nobody, Hulk is the Player of the Season, while Rui Patrício won the Best Goalkeeper award and James Rodriguez won the Revelation award (thank God it's not Nelson Oliveira). Cardozo the best scorer.

Sporting B matches will indeed be broadcast in Indian TV, so the Chhetri deal already has its rewards. And a derby in the first matchday of next season: Benfica vs Braga, while Sporting visits Guimarães and Porto goes to Gil Vicente. The first classic of the season will be in the 6th matchday with a Porto - Sporting.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
New Sporting kit is how, it's always cute when a smaller club tries to emulate a Big Boys Club :smug:

(Sporting's kit is almost a replica of Benfica's alternative one.)

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
I hope I'm not blowing your mind Mans but the clubs don't design their own kits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What th

(I know i know, it's still funny how my Facebook erupted in these kind of comments. Even better now that Porto's basketball team was shutdown for a reason and Benfica fans are claiming they shut it down to get extra money for bribes)

And it appears Rojo is going to Sporting instead of Benfica. He seemed like a really good player and now i hope he's poo poo.

• Locked thread