Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Pretty neat looking Zotye taxicab. I believe these have already been bought by the city of Hangzhou

Great Wall concept.

Great Wall Haval H6. The engine said "All Aluminum" in read lettering.

That Great Wall SUV that they exported to Australia.

GW Dakar racer

Some GW Honda Element type car.

The engine bay of the GW little truck they exported to Aus. I didn't get an exterior shot for some reason.

They had a bunch of engines but this twin turbo Inline 6 caught my eye. They said it was going into some future large SUV.

V

GM's "Baojun" line of Chinese domestic branded cars. These are old Daewoo Lacettis I guess.

Cadillac Ciel concept. Actually looks pretty neat in person, it's not actually very big, smaller than a modern Mustang.

Cadillac SLS "T", with the old Cobalt SS engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Throatwarbler posted:

Pretty neat looking Zotye taxicab. I believe these have already been bought by the city of Hangzhou

I was going to say that it's the most transparent ripoff ever of a Fiat Multipla, but it seems they're building them under license.

Good for them, it's a great and ridiculously practical car.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KozmoNaut posted:

I was going to say that it's the most transparent ripoff ever of a Fiat Multipla, but it seems they're building them under license.

Good for them, it's a great and ridiculously practical car.

Ah, that's what it is. I only remember the funny looking face of the first series Multipla.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I just learned something. My first car was a 1994 Nissan Sentra, and I can still buy that exact car brand-new in Mexico as the Nissan Tsuru. Looks like the same 1.6L engine, the same interior, everything.

I want one.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I think it has some Renault engine/transmission in place of the old GA16 (which is comparatively expensive to produce)

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

dissss posted:

I think it has some Renault engine/transmission in place of the old GA16 (which is comparatively expensive to produce)

aw, I saw 1.6L and assumed the best. They don't have OBD requirements in Mexico, do they?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CornHolio posted:

They don't have OBD requirements in Mexico, do they?

Considering it's a new car for $10k, I'm thinking there can't be any requirements at all.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
According to wikipedia it's a Renault transmission. Also the American market export Sentras back then had independent rear suspension. The Mexican Tsuru uses a torsion beam for cost.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

According to wikipedia it's a Renault transmission. Also the American market export Sentras back then had independent rear suspension. The Mexican Tsuru uses a torsion beam for cost.
That blows. I was hoping to pick one up one day now that Harper has legalized Mexican import and throw an SR20 and NX transmission in it to get a rust-free B13 SE-R.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Motronic posted:

Considering it's a new car for $10k, I'm thinking there can't be any requirements at all.

The Nissan Versa starts at under $11k brand new in the US and meets all safety and emissions requirements.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Buick had a pretty big display.

Buick Intelligent Performance.

Buick Excelle XT "performance". This one had really sporty seats, Imshrer pedals and badges and a pretty aggressive body kit. Engine is the old Opel "LLU" 1.6l turbo.

Regal GS. I don't remember the GS having the funky duck tail spoiler or the sporty seats.

Buick Park Avenue with attractive brown leather interior. The dash and whatnot are fairly ho-hum plastics but the leather seating surfaces and door panels were as supple as my butt. The leather supplier is Bader, who supplies most of the German luxury marques and the standard Buick stuff is apparently the same "premium leather" that you get as options on M and AMG cars. It was much better than the stuff in the (more expensive) Cadillac. If I had one I'd drive around naked all the time. :3:

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 28, 2012

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PBCrunch posted:

The Nissan Versa starts at under $11k brand new in the US and meets all safety and emissions requirements.

I totally did not believe you and had to look that up myself to be sure.

OK, I'll just sit in the corner for a bit.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

For a short period of time in Canada they were sold as low as $8500, but pretty much everyone immediately optioned them up far above what their previous MSRP was.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Motronic posted:

I think your problem is that you think "US emissions and safety requirements" is some kind of requirement for cars to be good or safe or something, instead of just a bureaucratic non-tariff barrier to protect the domestic car companies.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

That's still one hell of a lot better than a 1991 Sentra

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

dissss posted:

That's still one hell of a lot better than a 1991 Sentra

Well the 1991 Sentra had IRS. :colbert:

Insideline has driven the Dodge Dart and it looks good.

http://www.insideline.com/dodge/dart/2013/2013-dodge-dart-rallye-first-drive.html

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

Well the 1991 Sentra had IRS. :colbert:

Insideline has driven the Dodge Dart and it looks good.

http://www.insideline.com/dodge/dart/2013/2013-dodge-dart-rallye-first-drive.html

MotorTrend was pretty content with it this month as well.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The one with the 500 Abarth engine with a 6 speed manual sounds like the one to have. It beats out the 1.4l turbo Cruze in all metrics and has a trailing arm IRS similar to the MINI instead of the Cruze's twist beam.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

The one with the 500 Abarth engine with a 6 speed manual sounds like the one to have. It beats out the 1.4l turbo Cruze in all metrics and has a trailing arm IRS similar to the MINI instead of the Cruze's twist beam.

I thought the turbo Cruze had IRS (possibly market dependent)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Throatwarbler posted:

I think your problem is that you think "US emissions and safety requirements" is some kind of requirement for cars to be good or safe or something, instead of just a bureaucratic non-tariff barrier to protect the domestic car companies.

I've wondered about this. Are the U.S. safety and emission requirements a trade barrier? Whose interests does it protect? What would harmonization of standards do? Wouldn't the U.S. manufacturers want harmonization too, now that they sell lots of cars everywhere? Or, maybe it just makes the cost too high for small time players to enter.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

dissss posted:

I thought the turbo Cruze had IRS (possibly market dependent)

Watt's linkage. When it came out the Asian/Aus/Euro models didn't have it. The US model has it across the board and I think Aus does too, now.

quote:

I've wondered about this. Are the U.S. safety and emission requirements a trade barrier? Whose interests does it protect? What would harmonization of standards do? Wouldn't the U.S. manufacturers want harmonization too, now that they sell lots of cars everywhere? Or, maybe it just makes the cost too high for small time players to enter.

The last bit. It deters new entrants into the market and favours incumbents.

More Beijing auto show.

Some Chevy concept.

Roewe 750

Roewe hybrid

Now here is an interesting vehicle. It is called a GAC Changfeng Liebao, and it's a licensed version of a mid 1990s Mitsubishi Pajero. Looks pretty sharp. They are quite popular with the local military and are often seen with military plates.

Live axle and leaf springs

Mitsubishi 4G64 engine.

Interior, transfer case selector. The 1990s were the best time for Japanese cars.

Some version of an MB B-class that MB has provided to their JV partner Beijing Auto.

Beijing Auto concept.

Guangzhou Auto trumpchi, this is based on the old Alfa 164. jeremy Clarkson test drove it on TG.

On to FAW

My mother was particularly interested in this Foton truck. It's apparently a licensed 1st gen Toyota Hilux frame, running gear and transmission with a Cummins 2.8l diesel Inline 4, built in China as a joint venture with Cummins.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
At least when Chinese cars come here they will have a stick shift option.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Throatwarbler posted:

My mother was particularly interested in this Foton truck. It's apparently a licensed 1st gen Toyota Hilux frame, running gear and transmission with a Cummins 2.8l diesel Inline 4, built in China as a joint venture with Cummins.

The Chinese get the best trucks :sigh:.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Sounds like a good basis for a work truck, but if it's mk1 Hilux, doesn't that mean leaf-sprung live axles are the order of the day? Might be a shock for people who've driven anything built in the last couple of decades.

If it's cheap, though, and can maintain at some of the Hilux's clean-up-after-the-apocalypse reputation, it could do well with people who want a proper work vehicle.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

InitialDave posted:

Sounds like a good basis for a work truck, but if it's mk1 Hilux, doesn't that mean leaf-sprung live axles are the order of the day? Might be a shock for people who've driven anything built in the last couple of decades.

If it's cheap, though, and can maintain at some of the Hilux's clean-up-after-the-apocalypse reputation, it could do well with people who want a proper work vehicle.

Once the assuredly-cheaply made body panels all rot off, I hope you can't tell the difference between this and a 30 year old Hilux, ignoring the engine. That would be just great.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Unless its another Hilux

Actually I think most vehicles in the Hilux class are still leaf sprung

E. Yeah I guess at least the front has moved on

dissss fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 28, 2012

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
At the rear it's fine, it's the front I was wondering about.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The first Hilux have leaf springs in the front? I didn't know that was a thing for non-huge trucks. Anyway this thing has the usual double wishbones in front. Transmissions are an Aisin 5 speed for the RWD and a Getrag 5 speed for the 4x4, which also has more power.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 29, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

The first Hilux have leaf springs in the front? I didn't know that was a thing for non-huge trucks. Anyway this thing has the usual double wishbones in front. Transmissions are an Aisin 5 speed for the RWD and a Getrag 5 speed for the 4x4, which also has more power.

Yeah through to ~1998 on the pickup.

I'll bet the Chinese one is based off the sixth (previous) generation Hilux which had switched to IFS

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

InitialDave posted:

Even with those in the front, it shouldn't stand out as awful to ride in the current Chinese market.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Brilliance V5. Definitely not a BMW X1 - it's a lot better looking.

Some Brilliance monstrosity. Has a 1.8t engine and a 4 speed auto.

Brilliance concept.

Some truck whose suspension I was unable to examine because some drat woman was in the way.

Giant Hongqi state limo that Hu Jintao used for reviewing the troops. Supposedly based on a Land Cruiser 200 chassis with a V12, but again I was unable to examine these up close. Cars in the background are the new FAW Hongqi upscale cars that are based on the Toyota Crown.

Some more.

FAW B70, which I think are based on the last gen Mazda6.

Toyota EZ, which I think is called the Toyota Verso in EU and Japan.

Corolla.

Toyota Reiz. Basically something that's in between an IS and a GS, with a Buick interior.

Toyota Crown.

Chery QQ

Hawtai Terracan, a licensed version of the Hyundai of the same name. I drove one of these all over the western border with Kazakhstan last year and they are very nice, like a 90s Mitsubishi or Toyota truck at Hyundai prices.

It was getting close to closing time so I managed to snag some pics of the Fiat Viaggio before I left.

Welp, so that's it. I didn't have enough time to go to the last showroom, but it was just VAG and Nissans and other poo poo that no one cares about.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 30, 2012

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Hah, that Buick Park Avenue is just a current gen Impala with a fancy interior.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

rscott posted:

It's on the Zeta platform, same as the Commodore and Caprice.

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN

rscott posted:

Yeah, no its not.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Fooled me. Tail lights look almost exactly the same along with the dash and a lot of the interior.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

kimbo305 posted:

I thought it was a LWB Zeta, which would make it a Statesman. Not certain on this, though. Australian cars are like the marsupials of the automotive world.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

rscott posted:

Fooled me. Tail lights look almost exactly the same along with the dash and a lot of the interior.

I'm beginning to suspect that general motors is only willing to put forth the minimum level of effort required to survive as a car company.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

rscott posted:

The interior isn't world-beating or anything but it's not an Impala interior. This one is significantly larger, for one. In fact it shares no real similarities to the Impala at all.
Compare: 2010 Impala

Totally different in size, overall design, materials, trimming, vent placement, center stack, IP, controls, etc.

Tails are similar in that they're big corner blocks of red. They're also similar to the tails on the Crown Victoria or the old Ford Five Hundred or any other large, boring sedan. Again, not amazing, but considering it was originally designed to be sold as a Holden/Chevy and is meant to have boring styling, it looks normal to me.

Seriously, the Park Avenue design dates back to 2007 and is basically just a rebadged Holden Statesman, which is just like an Impala except for not sharing any parts, being several inches larger in every dimension, and also being RWD. Which is a huge difference. The styling is way different except for the general similarities of being conservatively styled and mostly boring.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 30, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The Holden Statesman and Caprice are just different trim levels of the same car.

I don't think they sell the Statesman trim anymore though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Cream_Filling posted:

The interior isn't world-beating or anything but it's not an Impala interior. This one is significantly larger, for one. In fact it shares no real similarities to the Impala at all.
Compare: 2010 Impala

Totally different in size, overall design, materials, trimming, vent placement, center stack, IP, controls, etc.

Tails are similar in that they're big corner blocks of red. They're also similar to the tails on the Crown Victoria or the old Ford Five Hundred or any other large, boring sedan. Again, not amazing, but considering it was originally designed to be sold as a Holden/Chevy and is meant to have boring styling, it looks normal to me.

Seriously, the Park Avenue design dates back to 2007 and is basically just a rebadged Holden Statesman, which is just like an Impala except for not sharing any parts, being several inches larger in every dimension, and also being RWD. Which is a huge difference. The styling is way different except for the general similarities of being conservatively styled and mostly boring.

Well now that I've been appropriately schooled on Zeta platform cars, I won't make that mistake again. Thanks! (not being a dick or anything)