Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere

Broken Box posted:

Weasel Soup.

What else is there to look forward to this season? This episode just reminded me that Renly is pretty much the only oh-gently caress moment in CoK. I mean... What's left? Blackwater? That's just going to be an hour of random swords and green fire. It's going to be boring as poo poo to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Trico posted:

What else is there to look forward to this season? This episode just reminded me that Renly is pretty much the only oh-gently caress moment in CoK. I mean... What's left? Blackwater? That's just going to be an hour of random swords and green fire. It's going to be boring as poo poo to watch.

If an hour of a war scene is boring to you, you must have some supremely high standards for TV. But anyway, there is still the House of the Undying scene which I think will be pretty awesome to watch.

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
And, you know, that whole sacking of Winterfell thing.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

The Slippery Nipple posted:

And, you know, that whole sacking of Winterfell thing.

Which will happen off-screen because HBO blew their budget with the Battle of Blackwater.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The sacking of Winterfell doesn't need to be a big budget scene, it's like 3 recognizable actors and 27 extras sneaking into a castle at night and killing more extras.

From the smart thread:

quote:

GRRM isn't running GoT like it's a game of D&D though, it's a story. It's very likely the Dragons will become an important thing sooner or later, for example, and we know from backstory that Dragons are powerful enough to conquer continents. Wights are some freaky bussiness too, if you believe old Nan et al. It could be a story more about how those things are developed and used in the seting of a war rather than about the war itself.

Do the dragons do anything after Drogon burns down the House of the Undying in ACoK and before they toast Quentyn? I guess they're conveniently locked away in a pit for like 3,000 pages because GRRM couldn't find a way to write loving dragons in a more interesting way than Dany making GBS threads.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Evan Montegarde posted:

The sacking of Winterfell doesn't need to be a big budget scene, it's like 3 recognizable actors and 27 extras sneaking into a castle at night and killing more extras.

Yeah, but there's that one bit where Whatshisface turns up with a Northern army then gets slaughtered by that other Northern army.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
They never really got across in the show how pissant Stannis's forces are before he offs Renly hey. Watching that otaku assemble thing the dude thinks Stannis could have actually fought anyone somehow

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Evan Montegarde posted:

Do the dragons do anything after Drogon burns down the House of the Undying in ACoK and before they toast Quentyn? I guess they're conveniently locked away in a pit for like 3,000 pages because GRRM couldn't find a way to write loving dragons in a more interesting way than Dany making GBS threads.

Um, Drogon flies back to Dany after she "sells" it to Astapor. And then he eats children.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Evan Montegarde posted:

well they fried that city. maybe even a couple of cities, but it all kinda blends together like a giant poo poo smoothie or something. the problem is that dragons are A Big Deal and p much always win and you can only write about them killing loving everything so many times before it gets old. like the only way it would be a fair fight is if they fought a whole loving continent or something. hey wait

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 30, 2012

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

nuncle jimbo posted:

well they fried that city. maybe even a couple of cities, but it all kinda blends together like a giant poo poo smoothie or something. the problem is that dragons are A Big Deal and you can only write about them killing loving everything so many times before it gets old. like the only way it would be a fair fight is if they fought a whole loving continent or something. hey wait

I mean poo poo, who would want to read a book about dragons doing poo poo? It would be terrible because we already have Temeraire even though the main dragon there doesn't even breathe fire and is ridden by Mr. Darcy. Where were we again? Oh yeah, Drogon is awesome 420 burn short humanoids erryday :smaug:

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
Thing is, he could have moved the "dragons go berserk" bit to the end of feast or beginning of dance and skipped all that horrible poo poo. If he wasn't obviously cramming it in to get something vaguely publishable done to get HBO and his editors off his back, he might have realized that. Maybe he could have managed to break the "Let's leave Westeros, where things happen, to see what happens in Essos, which is nothing, ever. Meanwhile, back at the Wall..." pattern.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Trico posted:

Jon having to kill Qhorin, then being taken to see the mammoths and giants is gonna be a pretty cool end-of-season stinger, just like seeing the dragons was for season 1.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Hedrigall posted:

Jon having to kill Qhorin with fierce pouting, the actor displaying next to zero actual proficiency with the sword, then being taken to see the mammoths and giants is gonna be a horribly underwhelming example of bad CGI mixed with actors who do not convincingly act like said CGI entities are there, just like seeing the dragons was for season 1.

Yeah, I suspect it will suck too.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 30, 2012

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Octy posted:

Which will happen off-screen because HBO blew their budget with the Battle of Blackwater.

It doesn't need a big budget though, part of the point is that there's only a handful of people involved.

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!
I think some people on one of these threads floated the idea that they might also wrap up with the attack at the Fist of the First Men, so they can kick off next season with the retreat to the Wall. That might be a bit much coming straight off of the Blackwater in episode 9, but it's a possibility.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I quite enjoyed that episode.

Is the Tickler Arya's first victim in the book? If so, who is it that she stabs to death while asking 'Where is the brotherhood?' and stuff over and over?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Donny Brook posted:
I don't know who the second name she's going to give the man, but I'm thinking the third name she gives him is either The Mountain or Cersei Lannister.

"the man"? Jesus Christ, Mortarboards on Your Heads and Miniature Chalkboards with E=MC2 Written on Them In Your Hands thread, I know you're all too lazy to crack a book, but you can't even be bothered to learn "the man"'s name? Holy moley!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Junkenstein posted:

If so, who is it that she stabs to death while asking 'Where is the brotherhood?' and stuff over and over?

The Tickler.

Her first victim through Jaqen is the guy who takes care of the servants.

I wonder how they will do it in the series. I mean, Tywin is right there, they will have to come up for a very good reason for him not to be the next target.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

ZearothK posted:

The Tickler.

Her first victim through Jaqen is the guy who takes care of the servants.

FFS, that was one of her very best scenes.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
She'll whisper the third name Jaqen and he'll leave. Forever.

The next time an actor quits, guess who got Jaqen'd.

And then Arya will go back to not-burned down Winterfell because action is expensive, and she'll never go to Braavos because sets are expensive, and she'll live happily ever after in Winterfell as a master swordsman because there's just no money in the budget.

It all went to Ros.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Yeah I don't know how they are going to do the whole Cat of the Canals thing in Braavos, they'd have to build a whole new city just for Arya, no way they are spending that much money just for her.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Syrio will be the dude who trains her at Winterfell because HBO.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

El Hefe posted:

Yeah I don't know how they are going to do the whole Cat of the Canals thing in Braavos, they'd have to build a whole new city just for Arya, no way they are spending that much money just for her.

An single CGI pan shot of the city that they'll reuse and recut for each scene in Bravoos coupled with one alley made out of cardboard.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Braavosian alleyways are going to look a lot like the ones at King's Landing.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Braavosian alleyways are going to look a lot like the ones at King's Landing.
Move the House of Black and White to King's Landing. Problem solved.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Factor_VIII posted:

Move the House of Black and White to King's LandingVancouver. Problem solved.

Glad to help, as always.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Tony Danza Claus posted:

With Renly dead, the Ph.D. in being Smart thread is already putting every egg ever in the Robb basket.
Why oh why cant the Red Wedding be this season?

Evan Montegarde posted:

One of them eats a kid and then Dany's all, "Oh noooo!"

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Why cookie Rocket posted:

"the man"? Jesus Christ, Mortarboards on Your Heads and Miniature Chalkboards with E=MC2 Written on Them In Your Hands thread, I know you're all too lazy to crack a book, but you can't even be bothered to learn "the man"'s name? Holy moley!

Who, Syrio?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Fog Tripper posted:

Who, Syrio?

No, Darkstar, didn't you see the Tickler's ear?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

SpaceMost posted:

"Why yes, my ultimate goal is to ride my dragons over to Westeros and bury the Iron Throne under a mountain of burnt corpses.

...what's that you say? One of my dragons ate a person? Why I never."

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

SpaceMost posted:

It's all about the big picture, man. A whole season of Robb-shilling will make the RW all the sweeter.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

misguided rage posted:

"Why yes, my ultimate goal is to ride my dragons over to Westeros and bury the Iron Throne under a mountain of burnt corpses.

Yup. Her invasion and conquest of Westeros won't result in the death of any children thanks to her Dragon Magicks™.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Welp, it's official. I watched the latest GoT episode on HBO and I've got to say, I'm done rooting for this show. I'll still watch, mostly because I get more enjoyment bitching about it than I do trying to genuinely enjoy most shows these days, but I've hit that point where I can recognize all the "GRRM-isms" and "HBO-isms" that are dragging the show down and the only things I really liked from the books--the scope and scale--aren't even well-represented despite a budget that rivals most movies.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Most movies aren't ten hours.

misguided rage posted:

I love how horrified she is, as though she didn't foresee her ravenous flying apex predators ever eating anything but goats.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 30, 2012

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

SpaceMost posted:

I love how horrified she is, as though she didn't foresee her ravenous flying apex predators ever eating anything but goats.
That really makes me think how she would've had taken Westeros back. Dany certainly talks about her father's throne, but her actions show her heart isn't in retaking it (see: Meereen) and there hasn't been a single passage in which she has pondered the means of retaking it. All those soldiers she'll have to burn with her dragons are husbands and fathers and how can somebody who thinks of herself as mother of all do something like that.

Of course Dany's true role is to be a potential AA and to go to Asshai. Which isn't even interesting. From the very beginning I've been bothered by magic and prophecies in this series as they take time and focus away from gool ol' court intrigue.

Heck, it would've been better if Viserys had lived. He was a dick with problems but at least he totally would've invaded Westeros.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Rurik posted:

That really makes me think how she would've had taken Westeros back. Dany certainly talks about her father's throne, but her actions show her heart isn't in retaking it (see: Meereen) and there hasn't been a single passage in which she has pondered the means of retaking it. All those soldiers she'll have to burn with her dragons are husbands and fathers and how can somebody who thinks of herself as mother of all do something like that.

Of course Dany's true role is to be a potential AA and to go to Asshai. Which isn't even interesting. From the very beginning I've been bothered by magic and prophecies in this series as they take time and focus away from gool ol' court intrigue.

Heck, it would've been better if Viserys had lived. He was a dick with problems but at least he totally would've invaded Westeros.

But it's okay to burn the Westerosi because they all sided with the Usurper, anyways :black101: Like that horrible guy Ned Stark.

thornghost
Oct 11, 2010

I have a picture of me with GRRM. He looks less than enthused.

SpaceMost posted:

It's a good thing she was wearing her Depends brand adult diapers then or else she might have soiled herself in revulsion.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'm tired of there being eight poop jokes per page. Can't we branch out? Where is our unassailable creativity! Has it died along with Gurm's failure to produce material worth more than just our disdain? :negative:

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Rurik posted:

Considering his abilities, his invasion of Westeros would have been a complete joke. He'd probably have carelessly thrown his troops in a trap, gotten them massacred and then blmed his commanders for the failure and had them executed, which would have cemented his defeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

my cat is norris posted:

I'm tired of there being eight poop jokes per page. Can't we branch out? Where is our unassailable creativity! Has it died along with Gurm's failure to produce material worth more than just our disdain? :negative:

If you don't pony up and branch out yourself, your words are wind. Useless as nipples on a breastplate.

Anyway, now that the principle protagonist of the book/show is Ros the whore, we may actually find out where whores go. It's probably the Westeros equivalent of Detroit.