Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Super Dude posted:

So I'm trying to decide between the ASUS TF300 and a refurbished iPad 2 (16GB) for my mom. Both come out to about the same price, and have similar features. Are there any major differences between them? She already has an HTC Incredible 2, so she is pretty familiar with Android.

I think you have already made up your mind by posting this in the android tablet thread. If you need further convincing, go with the asus. I have the prime and its great, the TF300 should be even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

r0ck0 posted:

I think you have already made up your mind by posting this in the android tablet thread. If you need further convincing, go with the asus. I have the prime and its great, the TF300 should be even better.

The people in Apple threads always jump down my throat if I mention anything that isn't Apple.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Honestly they're both nice tablets, and they're both good for viewing pdfs, videos, kindle reading, and email. For browsing the internet, the ASUS can view Flash (though not as well as a desktop computer), but certainly a lot of people are happy to browse the internet on iPads too.

If the apps don't matter, it basically comes down to which do you want to answer support questions about.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Be sure to teach mom how to root and use the search function before asking questions.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

got dat wmd posted:

Can someone seriously explain the idea of buying cheap tablets with known issues and faults for the purpose of "tinkering?" I seriously don't understand it.

That class of users is made up of repressed nerds who use technology to make up for the lack of control in their daily lives. They're the ones who frame consumer electronics in terms of personal control; e.g., "I don't use iPads because I'm not interested in what Apple tells me to like."

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.

got dat wmd posted:

Can someone seriously explain the idea of buying cheap tablets with known issues and faults for the purpose of "tinkering?" I seriously don't understand it.

Look, I hate to beat this car analogy to loving death, but AI is full of people who blow hundreds or thousands of dollars on junk cars just so they can have the satisfaction of fixing them up. No amount of work is going to make a 1978 Datsun 210 as reliable or efficient as a 2012 Nissan Sentra, but people do it because they enjoy working on cars. I enjoy working on computers. I think the two camps are related.

tikan
Apr 30, 2009

ltugo posted:

Look, I hate to beat this car analogy to loving death, but AI is full of people who blow hundreds or thousands of dollars on junk cars just so they can have the satisfaction of fixing them up. No amount of work is going to make a 1978 Datsun 210 as reliable or efficient as a 2012 Nissan Sentra, but people do it because they enjoy working on cars. I enjoy working on computers. I think the two camps are related.

One of these can have a reliable outcome, while the other will be just as bad as when it began.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
Someone, somewhere has purchased a broken turbografix 16 and fixed it. Check and Mate.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If your choice is between buying your mom something that is the same price as an iPad, just get the iPad. It has more apps, more functionality, and Apple has the absolute best customer service that you're going to come across. If she ever has a problem, either her or you can call apple and it will get rectified quickly.

Treat your moms well.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Toady posted:

That class of users is made up of repressed nerds who use technology to make up for the lack of control in their daily lives. They're the ones who frame consumer electronics in terms of personal control; e.g., "I don't use iPads because I'm not interested in what Apple tells me to like."

Android is about freedom, Apple is about doing what you're told. Therefore, I believe you ascribed lack of control to the wrong group. Android tablets are like an open U.S. election, where you have the freedom of choice and control over the ultimate outcome. iPads are like totalitarian states, where there is a sham of freedom in the form of fixed elections (i.e. changing your iPad's wallpaper), but ultimately you have no meaningful input, options, or prospects of an improved life for your children.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Henry Meowlins posted:

If your choice is between buying your mom something that is the same price as an iPad, just get the iPad. It has more apps, more functionality, and Apple has the absolute best customer service that you're going to come across. If she ever has a problem, either her or you can call apple and it will get rectified quickly.

Treat your moms well.

Basically this. Don't be an rear end in a top hat to your mom. Get her an iPad.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

So uh, momchat aside, ICS was pushed to my Iconia today and holy poo poo its almost like having a new, faster tablet

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

So uh, momchat aside, ICS was pushed to my Iconia today and holy poo poo its almost like having a new, faster tablet

Same here. I use my Iconia every day and have been waiting for the ICS push to happen. It's amazing how fast this thing runs now.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

got dat wmd posted:

Be sure to teach mom how to root and use the search function before asking questions.

This is not a binary situation where you can either get an ipad or knife your mother. Stop identifying yourself with an operating system.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

tecnocrat posted:

Same here. I use my Iconia every day and have been waiting for the ICS push to happen. It's amazing how fast this thing runs now.

Hasn't been pushed to mine yet and I'm getting impatient

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kynetx posted:

This is not a binary situation where you can either get an ipad or knife your mother. Stop identifying yourself with an operating system.
Look at your avatar.

Also I'll be posting a "recommend me a tablet" thread on Monday so we'll have a dedicated spot for folks to ask about tablet recommendations, rather than having to go into already biased threads like the Android tablet or iPad threads. The "recommend me a phone" thread seems to chug along just fine, so I think we'll give that a shot for tablets.

Back to chatting about Ice Cream Sandwich on the Iconia!

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Henry Meowlins posted:

Treat your moms well.

Sadly, I'd say the same thing: Get the iPad since it'll probably be simpler to use. I had a tough time deciding between a Prime and an iPad; if not for all the apps I bought, I think I'd have gone for it as well.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Ciabatta posted:

Android is about freedom, Apple is about doing what you're told. Therefore, I believe you ascribed lack of control to the wrong group. Android tablets are like an open U.S. election, where you have the freedom of choice and control over the ultimate outcome. iPads are like totalitarian states, where there is a sham of freedom in the form of fixed elections (i.e. changing your iPad's wallpaper), but ultimately you have no meaningful input, options, or prospects of an improved life for your children.

This is an excellent analogy between the American electorate and the Android ecosystem. It's worth nothing that in both systems, only simpletons at the bottom of the food chain believe that the people in charge have their best interests at heart, and that their "freedom" to choose will result in some meaningful difference in their quality of life, yet these people are always the most vocal and passionate advocates of their particular affiliation.

Yes, quite. :pipe:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Internaut! posted:

Your av loving owns.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Look at your avatar.

I'm no OS evangelist. If anyone in YOSPOS actually read my posts they'd know that. I have no problem with iOS, or WP7 or whatever. I don't think I've ever recommended a single one over another. For gifts, I've bought 1 WP7 phone, 4 iOS devices and 3 Android. I would never presume to tell someone that their preferences are invalid. Don't mistake this with putting up with FUD from fanboys.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Back to chatting about Ice Cream Sandwich on the Iconia!

No face unlock, and no Acer Ring. The ring is only on the new models, this looks like it's just as close to a stock install as Acer gives you. The disable function works though, so at least I can hide the stupid Hero of Sparta and other games it gives as part of the base install.

To use a phrase reserved for OS X upgrades, everything feels snappier. I'm not even getting the usual keyboard lag. It just flies.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

tecnocrat posted:

To use a phrase reserved for OS X upgrades, everything feels snappier. I'm not even getting the usual keyboard lag. It just flies.

How is the browser? I hope its at least as good as my Nexus S (it better be, it does have a dual core CPU). Browser performance is my single biggest 3.2 A500 complaint.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003

dissss posted:

How is the browser? I hope its at least as good as my Nexus S (it better be, it does have a dual core CPU). Browser performance is my single biggest 3.2 A500 complaint.

It feels a bit faster, but it's all anecdotal. I'm using the Chrome beta instead of the stock browser, and it's as close to a real desktop browser on a mobile device as I have ever used.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Kynetx posted:

I'm no OS evangelist. If anyone in YOSPOS actually read my posts they'd know that. I have no problem with iOS, or WP7 or whatever. I don't think I've ever recommended a single one over another. For gifts, I've bought 1 WP7 phone, 4 iOS devices and 3 Android. I would never presume to tell someone that their preferences are invalid. Don't mistake this with putting up with FUD from fanboys.

I think I need to be in your circle of friends then because I've never given or received a phone for a gift ;)

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Posting from my new Tab 2 7.0. Neat little thing. Peel Smart Remote is awesome. Downloaded GTA III.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Posting from my new Tab 2 7.0. Neat little thing. Peel Smart Remote is awesome. Downloaded GTA III.

What are we looking at here? Just standard tablet desktop? Am I missing something?

tikan
Apr 30, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What are we looking at here? Just standard tablet desktop? Am I missing something?

SmartRemot.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Seems like just a screen cap of nothing but a (manufacturer modified?) ICS home screen with 6 shortcuts, 1024x600 resolution. Interesting that the "Is it a phone? Is it a tablet?" device received the "phone" version of ICS.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Yeah, nothing special there. Was just fooling around with the screenshot button, wish my phone had that. I have noticed that when updating some programs it refers to my tablet as a phone.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Yeah, nothing special there. Was just fooling around with the screenshot button, wish my phone had that. I have noticed that when updating some programs it refers to my tablet as a phone.

Since you have a Samsung phone, Power + Vol Down will probably take a screenshot.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
If you have an Acer Iconia and don't have the ICS update yet, Acer has released an app to expedite the process.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/29/acer-releases-ics-update-app/

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
So, questions for you smart folk. I'm looking for a tablet PC, kinda to replace my old dying netbook, and kinda because I want a new fun thing to play with and have and be cool. I don't have a smartphone, so the mobility and power of tablets nowadays is just flooring to me.

I also need something I can write on, so I am heavily leaning towards the Asus Transformer series. At first, I was looking heavily at the Prime, but you can't even buy that. So now, I'm looking at either getting a Pad, or waiting for the Pad Infinity.

Will the higher cost/waiting/better hardware of the Pad Infinity make it worthwhile over a Pad? How will the 3G work? I'm assuming you'll have to have a monthly data plan with a wireless service like Verizon, right?

Also, comparing the two Infinity models (3/4g vs. wifi), it looks like wifi will have a better processor. How "good" is 3/4g on a tablet?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Frgrbrgr posted:

I also need something I can write on, so I am heavily leaning towards the Asus Transformer series. At first, I was looking heavily at the Prime, but you can't even buy that.
??? :confused:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?cid=14793857941200422117
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?cid=12129049663989539776

quote:

So now, I'm looking at either getting a Pad, or waiting for the Pad Infinity.

Will the higher cost/waiting/better hardware of the Pad Infinity make it worthwhile over a Pad?
I assume by "Pad" you are referring to the Transformer Pad TF300. The main difference here is the ultra-res screen. Those are certainly nice, but (A) there is some concern whether the Tegra 3 has enough memory bandwidth to push that many pixels smoothly, and (B) it's not even officially announced yet, so you'll be waiting a while yet before you can have one in your hands.

quote:

How will the 3G work? I'm assuming you'll have to have a monthly data plan with a wireless service like Verizon, right?
It isn't a certainty, but yes it is likely (if they are officially announced) those will be sold through wireless carriers and bundled with contract data plans.

quote:

Also, comparing the two Infinity models (3/4g vs. wifi), it looks like wifi will have a better processor. How "good" is 3/4g on a tablet?
It heavily depends on the network; Sprint 3G struggles to get even more than 1mbps, while T-Mobile 3G/"faux G" easily hits 6-8mbps. 4G LTE can do 20,30 even 40 mbps.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

revolther posted:

Seems like just a screen cap of nothing but a (manufacturer modified?) ICS home screen with 6 shortcuts, 1024x600 resolution. Interesting that the "Is it a phone? Is it a tablet?" device received the "phone" version of ICS.

Did it? It doesn't have the application dock at the bottom.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Cross posting this from the Rooted Android thread.

If you have the latest firmware on your Transformer TF101 or Transformer Prime TF201 and want root there is now a new method for obtaining root.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1622628

A guy on XDA has figured out how to allow firmware downgrades. Which allows you to go to a previously rootable firmware. I have JUST successfully downgraded my TF201 9.4.2.21 firmware to 9.4.2.14. This allows me to now reroot my device as I lost root through a manual update.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Why would you want to root either? The ICS Asus provides is buttery smooth and fits all of my needs.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
As a Transformer user, I agree that Asus has done a great job with ICS. However, just because it's smooth and fits all of your needs does not necessarily mean there are no reasons to root. Rooting does more than offer the ability to fix problems, but it can allow you to do things that may be different than your needs. Ad free browsing and applications. Bluetooth controllers. SetCPU to get a bit more performance and battery life. Making use of certain Tasker abilities. Backing up all your apps and settings. The list can go on.

Edit: Also, RootKeeper kept me from having to re-root after the update. So, it was a nice time saver and I'd recommend anyone who can take advantage of that to do so.

tikan
Apr 30, 2009
Those things could certainly add to my needs being met and exceeded, where do I find info on rooting an Asus?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Needs being met and exceeded buddies! :cool::respek::cool:

This guide is the most current and easy way to root. You didn't say what model you have, but this works with the TF101 and TF201.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Just ordered an asus tf300 with the keyboard thing! I can't wait!