Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Factor_VIII posted:

Considering his abilities, his invasion of Westeros would have been a complete joke. He'd probably have carelessly thrown his troops in a trap, gotten them massacred and then blmed his commanders for the failure and had them executed, which would have cemented his defeat.

Did Viserys know about the Martell pact to marry whatever the hell her name was? He could have been at least a little succesful if he landed in Dorne, gathered their troops, and then tried to make his way north collecting more armies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Meltathon posted:

Did Viserys know about the Martell pact to marry whatever the hell her name was? He could have been at least a little succesful if he landed in Dorne, gathered their troops, and then tried to make his way north collecting more armies.

Probs not because if he did then he would have made his way there from the get go.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Factor_VIII posted:

Considering his abilities, his invasion of Westeros would have been a complete joke. He'd probably have carelessly thrown his troops in a trap, gotten them massacred and then blmed his commanders for the failure and had them executed, which would have cemented his defeat.

This still would've been better than what we've gotten so far with Dany. At least Viserys wouldn't poo poo all over the Dothraaki Sea fall in love with some blue-bearded woman named ~Daaria~

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

my cat is norris posted:

I'm tired of there being eight poop jokes per page. Can't we branch out? Where is our unassailable creativity! Has it died along with Gurm's failure to produce material worth more than just our disdain? :negative:

Mayhaps this was a blessing. Had anything happened we would've grown into being Fans.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Rurik posted:

Heck, it would've been better if Viserys had lived. He was a dick with problems but at least he totally would've invaded Westeros.

I was actually kind of disappointed with most of Viserys in the show. He didn't come across nearly as totally nuts as I had imagined, and not even that huge a dick. Just going by the show, he's a man who dies horribly because he's depressed and gets drunk at the wrong time. Which, sure, is probably a more grounded version than the nipple-twisting archvillain screaming about WAKING THE DRAGON, DEAR SISTER, but it felt like they dropped too much of him constantly pissing off the Dothraki and it made Drogo an even bigger rear end in a top hat for killing him without much provocation.

You're supposed to cheer for Viserys' death because he's an abusive lunatic, yet I felt sorry for him in the show because he didn't deserve it this time. :(

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I've gotta disagree there, as Viserys on the show was basically just as I imagined him, just less prominent. He did twist nipples, scream about waking the dragons, etc. on the show, they just showed his other side while he was on-screen instead of in Dany monologues.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

it made Drogo an even bigger rear end in a top hat for killing him without much provocation.

Threats to gut Drogo's queen and murder his unborn son aren't much provocation?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Besides, Harry Lloyd's brilliant acting just made him too much of a pleasure to watch. YOU WOKE THE DRAGON :catstare:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

whowhatwhere posted:

I've gotta disagree there, as Viserys on the show was basically just as I imagined him, just less prominent. He did twist nipples, scream about waking the dragons, etc. on the show, they just showed his other side while he was on-screen instead of in Dany monologues.
Now you've done it. YOU WOKE THE DRAGON!
*gives Dany a swirly*

e: But yeah, he definitely came across more tragic on the show than he did in the book. Abusive, sure -- but more of a bumbling idiot with a bad temper than a Joffrey. At the very least, he didn't deserve to have his brain boiled by molten gold.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 30, 2012

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

IRQ posted:

If you don't pony up and branch out yourself, your words are wind. Useless as nipples on a breastplate.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED. :colbert:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

my cat is norris posted:

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED. :colbert:

I FAILED. :colbert:

At least I used a different medium.

vvv For you, I fix.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 30, 2012

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
e: ^^^^^ You forgot the blood.

SpaceMost posted:

Now you've done it. YOU WOKE THE DRAGON!
*gives Dany a swirly*

e: But yeah, he definitely came across more tragic on the show than he did in the book. Abusive, sure -- but more of a bumbling idiot with a bad temper than a Joffrey. At the very least, he didn't deserve to have his brain boiled by molten gold.

Viserys wasn't Joffrey in the books either. He was someone who had everything taken from him (as opposed to Dany who has never set foot on Westeros proper and never knew the rest of her family); a kid who was incompetently raised to reconquer Westeros by people who didn't give a poo poo about him (because he was just a smokescreen for Aegon) and mocked him behind his back; who knew he wasn't truly capable of doing what he was supposed to do. Thus, he takes it out on the one person he can reach that he can blame anything on (who 'killed' his mother by being born).

Dany's memories also have him growing more and more embittered and cruel, as hope after hope is revealed to be a mirage.

Doesn't stop him from being an abusive gently caress, but he was never Joffrey.

Plus, nobody loving deserves to have their brains boiled by gold :psyduck:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
They perfected Jaqen this last episode, which is all I really wanted out of this season.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Well, I guess he'll have a good, oh, two or three episodes left before disappearing forever.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere

whowhatwhere posted:

Well, I guess he'll have a good, oh, two or three episodes left before disappearing forever.

You shut your mouth! Jaqen is Syrio and he will come back and will marry Arya and they will take over Westeros riding on dragons etc, etc.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

my cat is norris posted:

I FAILED. :colbert:

At least I used a different medium.

vvv For you, I fix.

If this looked good avatar sized I would so buy it.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

whowhatwhere posted:

They'll have him return for the first episode of season 4 or 5, probably.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Azure_Horizon posted:

They'll have him return for the first episode of season 4 or 5, probably.

Doesn't he have a completely different face at that point anyways?

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
I'm reading AFFC now and is there anything more pointless than Brienne on a wild goose chase? The reader already knows what's up with Sansa and GRRM wastes chapter after chapter on Brienne heading nowhere and dumb repetition; Brienne asks some random stranger if he saw 'a fool with a pretty maiden' then someone makes a comment about rape, or calls Brienne an ugly wench, and then Brienne wallows in self pity and jerks off thinking about Jaime or Renly or thinks about Catelyn describing how Sansa was a pretty lady who loves lemoncake.

This is worse than mindless crap about Dany. When does Catelyn kill Brienne already so I don't need to hear anymore?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zalmoxes posted:

I'm reading AFFC now and is there anything more pointless than Brienne on a wild goose chase? The reader already knows what's up with Sansa and GRRM wastes chapter after chapter on Brienne heading nowhere and dumb repetition; Brienne asks some random stranger if he saw 'a fool with a pretty maiden' then someone makes a comment about rape, or calls Brienne an ugly wench, and then Brienne wallows in self pity and jerks off thinking about Jaime or Renly or thinks about Catelyn describing how Sansa was a pretty lady who loves lemoncake.

This is worse than mindless crap about Dany. When does Catelyn kill Brienne already so I don't need to hear anymore?

She doesn't. In classic Gurm style she gets almost-killed but by that point in the series you know that Gurm is full of poo poo when he does that. And nope, that won't happen until the end, and yes, ADWD is even loving worse.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

IRQ posted:

She doesn't. In classic Gurm style she gets almost-killed but by that point in the series you know that Gurm is full of poo poo when he does that. And nope, that won't happen until the end, and yes, ADWD is even loving worse.

Where do whore-maids of three and ten go and what do they like with their lemoncakes?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Urdnot Fire posted:

Doesn't he have a completely different face at that point anyways?

Exactly, so it would be easy for them to do it since they only need the actor for Jaqen's very last scene this season and the one later on.

zalmoxes: The point of Brienne's wandering around is to show you a ground-level look at how the common Westerosi is dealing with the War of the Five Kings. In that regard, it works very well.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:

Azure_Horizon posted:

zalmoxes: The point of Brienne's wandering around is to show you a ground-level look at how the common Westerosi is dealing with the War of the Five Kings. In that regard, it works very well.

It would work well if I cared about the common Westerosi and this pointless war, but the book already has a hundred main characters whose plotlines will fizzle out before they do anything remotely interesting. You read 700 pages about a particular character who's trying to get from point A to point B just to tell another character something that would progress the plot and then they get killed.
I bet Daenerys ends up dying at the end of book 7 because she gets sweeped off into the ocean by a wave in a storm, and she never gets to Westeros.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Definitely one of the biggest problems with Feast with Dragons. If GRRM had had given Brienne some other purpose while still hitting the same beats as she travelled around the countryside, it would have been much, much better.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

zalmoxes posted:

I bet Daenerys ends up dying at the end of book 7 because she gets sweeped off into the ocean by a wave in a storm, and she never gets to Westeros.

Once again, if Gurm had the balls to do this, I would actually love it.

Junkenstein posted:

Definitely one of the biggest problems with Feast with Dragons. If GRRM had had given Brienne some other purpose while still hitting the same beats as she travelled around the countryside, it would have been much, much better.

Hopefully the show can fix this a bit.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Urdnot Fire posted:

Once again, if Gurm had the balls to do this, I would actually love it.

The next book starts with Drogon flying away to find some children to eat, and Dany gets immediately murdered to death by a bunch of pissed off Dothraki.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Dany gets swept off the deck in a storm, only to be reborn as Dany Stormborn Stormborn. Because we need more names like that in this series.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

crazypeltast52 posted:

Dany gets swept off the deck in a storm, only to be reborn as Dany Stormborn Stormborn. Because we need more names like that in this series.

She, like Victarion, follows both R'hllor and the Drowned God and thus gets magical water and fire poo poo powers.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
From the Gifted Program Thread:

Jonny Angel posted:

Dany seems like the only person left out for the throne who's any decency or ability to rule, but her arc across the Narrow Sea doesn't seem like it's gonna finish anywhere near soon (I'd be surprised if she made it back to Westeros before the fourth season/book). I

Radd McCool posted:

What grinds my goat more than anything is when information is poorly disseminated. Lost has filled me with unyielding hate.

Also, the white walkers and the shade are super cool. Like I said, the build up of 'magic in the minds' of the 7 kingdoms is what I'm focusing on. I'm anxious for story activity to start bending to accommodate this element.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I don't know if it still cool to post amazon reviews, but this was the best. I am convinced it was TDC himself.

quote:

He broke his fast with boiled neeps, and shivering stew, washed down with a flagon of Dornish ale. The grease from stewed salt pork clung to his gristly beard as he donned a slashed velvet doublet of purple satin, emblazoned with the crest of Ser Eddard Bauer. Over his smallclothes, he wore black pantaloons. He clambered into his Honda and began the short journey west, bearing northwards along the interstate. He turned left, edging his way past opposing traffic. If I look back, I am lost.

His office was a dull brown keep that sat astride the Crown Road. His desk was hidden behind a soundproofed beige cubicle and was lined with a faux wood finish. Reek, reek, it rhymes with teak.

He had finished A Dance with Dragons not a noonsday before and wondered if in truth he had finished the entire series. George R. R. Martin is so constipated from the fawnings of his lickspittles and self-indulgent side stories that he's not like to drop another turd of a novel anytime soon, if the last decade has told it true, he thought to himself.

He smirked at his own witticism. "It is known" he said aloud to himself.

To tell it true, he had enjoyed several parts of the novel. Jon Snow's first chapter was strong, as were the Bran and Davos chapters. He'd not expected that. Many of the early story arcs had glistened wetly with promise but of these Martin had written little and less as the book wore on. Of Dany's aimless navel-gazing, there'd been much and more. Asha and Victarion vied for the distinction of the most pointless Greyjoy POV. Ariane Martell had twisted her teats for naught, for her brother Quentyn's chapters proved to be as useless as nipples on a breastplate. Gods be good, he thought, the fat man teased us with Feast's Dorne chapters for.... this?

And Jaime... that had been the cruelest jape of all. Best that Martin had left out his sole chapter. Though, given the masturbatory excess of Dance's prose, Martin could have learned a thing or two from a man who'd had to make do without his sword hand.

The epilogue was a satisfying end to an unsavory meal, but even the most succulent lemoncake doesn't salvage a bland and unfilling meal of gruel. In truth, it should've been left in A Feast for Crows, along with Cersei's chapters. At least then at least one of the novels from the last ten years would've amounted to more than a mummer's farce.

He set down his copy of A Dance with Dragons with an unsatisfying thud. Words are wind, he mused. Speaking of which... He raised a leg and broke his word. It smelt of stale bacon grease and mashed neeps.

By then, his bladder was full to bursting from the morning's coffee, so he headed to the latrine before he pissed his smallclothes. Reek, reek, it rhymes with leak. Along the way, he passed the receptionist from the adjoining office. She was a pretty brown-haired thing, a woman of about four-and-twenty, fully flowered.

"Where do whores go?", he asked her.

She slapped him.

He entered the men's bathroom and undid his breeches. The urinals were crofted from gleaming white porcelain and bore the seal of American Standard. Whilst it received his golden stream of the morning's piss, he contemplated how this was a metaphor for how Ser Martin had raised the leg and done the same to the continuity of A Song of Ice and Fire and the first three books.

He angrily composed an e-mail to Martin's editor whilst zipping up his breeches. He was only a man grown, unskilled in the ways of editing, but such was his wroth.

You know nothing, Anne Groell...

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Yes, we saw that, it was already linked. Excellent find, though, we all had a merry guffaw.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Meltathon posted:

No he didn't. It would have given him a decent base upon Westeros, but Dorne was the most sparsely populated province so I think it would have simply delayed the inevitable.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Factor_VIII posted:

No he didn't. It would have given him a decent base upon Westeros, but Dorne was the most sparsely populated province so I think it would have simply delayed the inevitable.

It still would've worked better than the plan with Quentyn and Dany.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Urdnot Fire posted:

It still would've worked better than the plan with Quentyn and Dany.
Well, yes since Quentyn's father sending him to Dany was simply a desperate attempt to salvage the original plan which Vitarion wrecked by being a retard and getting himself killed.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Just watched last nights episode. I am disappointed in Qarth. I thought the women walked around with a tit out. As Tony Danza Clause pointed out before this episode even aired, it is as if HBO said "no thanks, we don't peddle smut"

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Dirk Pitt posted:

Just watched last nights episode. I am disappointed in Qarth. I thought the women walked around with a tit out. As Tony Danza Clause pointed out before this episode even aired, it is as if HBO said "no thanks, we don't peddle smut"

As someone said in the Mensa Thread for Smart People, it's as if they're saying that boobs are only okay in an explicitly sexual context. In other words, sex is better than nudity in HBO's eyes.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Remember when all the dothraki had they tits out in episode one and people were all DON'T BE A BIG GAY FANTASY RACIST that's dothraki culture in gurmworld not hbo

Heh

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

nuncle jimbo posted:

Remember when all the dothraki had they tits out in episode one and people were all DON'T BE A BIG GAY FANTASY RACIST that's dothraki culture in gurmworld not hbo

Heh

Mayhaps some tits in the episodes, possibly some sex and a touch of hodor dick?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It doesn't need a big budget though, part of the point is that there's only a handful of people involved.

Yes, but my point is that the actual sacking of Winterfell in the book had a cast of a couple thousand at the very least. More like two handfuls of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Octy posted:

Yes, but my point is that the actual sacking of Winterfell in the book had a cast of a couple thousand at the very least. More like two handfuls of people.
It did? I remember it being a pretty small affair, with Theon taking the castle by surprise and only getting away with it because the able-bodied men were everywhere else.