Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Just a heads up, the Galaxy Nexus is APPARENTLY available at Sam's Club in Omaha, NE (the one on 13130 L St.) for $0.96 if you upgrade.

I just came from there today, Saw the Sprint Gnex on display for $0.96 and billed as the Samsung Transform.

I tried to correct the seller, but she claims it IS the Transform and even showed me that it's in their system as the Transform and at the $0.96 price. She then went on to say how the "Galaxy Nexus has an 8 megapixel camera and the one on display (the GNex...) has a 3 megapixel." She also said that it only looks like the GNex but it's not.

I know she's 100% incorrect but hey if it's in the system...it's worth a shot, I suppose. If I had an upgrade, I'd actually have tried to get it but I don't and I'm on EPRP anyway.

I'm not going to say that 100% for SURE that it'll work, but you can at least try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
How can I get my Nexus S back to stock ROM and reroot? Help please, thank you. :(

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Just a heads up, the Galaxy Nexus is APPARENTLY available at Sam's Club in Omaha, NE (the one on 13130 L St.) for $0.96 if you upgrade.

I just came from there today, Saw the Sprint Gnex on display for $0.96 and billed as the Samsung Transform.

I tried to correct the seller, but she claims it IS the Transform and even showed me that it's in their system as the Transform and at the $0.96 price. She then went on to say how the "Galaxy Nexus has an 8 megapixel camera and the one on display (the GNex...) has a 3 megapixel." She also said that it only looks like the GNex but it's not.

I know she's 100% incorrect but hey if it's in the system...it's worth a shot, I suppose. If I had an upgrade, I'd actually have tried to get it but I don't and I'm on EPRP anyway.

I'm not going to say that 100% for SURE that it'll work, but you can at least try.

Wouldn't they just hand you a box that says Samsung Transform on it anyway? Surely they wouldn't be dumb enough to hand over a Gnex box because the picture on the box looks like the phone they've incorrectly labeled.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Robo Kitty posted:

I have a LG Optimus S. In recent months it's been acting up: randomly restarting itself, freezing a lot (especially when there's an incoming call), just being slow and cranky. It especially likes to just sort of freeze in the middle of the shut-down process and never actually fully turn itself off. About a week ago the Gingerbread update downloaded and I installed it, thinking it might improve the phone's performance. (I hadn't received or known about Sprint's previous attempt at updating to 2.3 back in September.) Since then it's had incredibly lovely battery life; I used to be able to make it all day (12+ hours) of moderate use. Now it gives me the "low battery" notice after 3 hours of almost no usage. Any suggestions for how to either get back to Froyo, or how to fix the battery issue?

I have an upgrade coming in September and am looking forward to getting rid of this thing, but I can't get a new phone before then and this is really useless to me with this level of performance.

Somewhat unrelated: Is there a timeline available for when/where Sprint will be adding new 4G coverage? It isn't available in my area right now and I'm wondering if I'll be able to take advantage of the 4G phones when I upgrade.

I'm not at work for a few days, but I have the 2.2 file if you can hang on (don't need root to backtrack it), I'll put a Dropbox link in the OP so anyone can get it. Sprint should have just left the Optimus at 2.2, beyond sucking on the Optimus 2.3 is just loving ugly on those phones.

Beyond the 6 cities announced nothing official, either way just buy the galaxy nexus, it's LTE and would suit your needs fine, so when you do get LTE it's already set to go.

FYI you could buy up your upgrade for about $70, maybe less. Call the retentions number from the Op if you want to do that

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Hoppy posted:

I would just like to state how jealous I am of all you Galaxy Nexus owners.

I'm stuck with this EVO 3D for another year, and I really hate the lack of development community support around it

Have you tried Freshhhh? It really is the best Sense Rom out there, I really love it. http://geekfor.me/ is his website (seems down right now) and http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1333551 is his xda thread.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

fyallm posted:

Have you tried Freshhhh? It really is the best Sense Rom out there, I really love it. http://geekfor.me/ is his website (seems down right now) and http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1333551 is his xda thread.

Fresh hasn't been updated in a while and I ran into several bugs with it. On Evo 3D I like CleanROM or MIUI (if you can live without the 3D).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Wouldn't they just hand you a box that says Samsung Transform on it anyway? Surely they wouldn't be dumb enough to hand over a Gnex box because the picture on the box looks like the phone they've incorrectly labeled.

I thought about that but, for some reason, I think she would actually give a Nexus box...

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Anyone with a rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus get their $40 google wallet monies? I'm rooted and I pre-ordered and activated on the 19th, am I gonna get my monies?

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Stunt Rock posted:

Fresh hasn't been updated in a while and I ran into several bugs with it. On Evo 3D I like CleanROM or MIUI (if you can live without the 3D).

What version of MIUI are you running? The latest "official" one from MIUI.us or one of the ports on XDA?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

r0ck0 posted:

Anyone with a rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus get their $40 google wallet monies? I'm rooted and I pre-ordered and activated on the 19th, am I gonna get my monies?

My wife got her Nexus on release day and as of this past weekend still hasn't seen the $40 show up yet. The terms of the promotion say it could take up to 3 weeks, though:

quote:

Additional $40 credit will be added to your Google Wallet prepaid card within three weeks of Google Wallet activation.
http://shop2.sprint.com/en/services/popups/google_wallet_50_popup.shtml

It's not entirely clear to me how Sprint knows you've activated it and that they are supposed to give you money. I guess Google tells them? I don't know. The terms are so vague, I really feel like we're missing a crucial step that they aren't telling us.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

r0ck0 posted:

You will get it I'm 4 weeks, I will check the promo terms next time I am at work.

Galaxy nexus ordered for me. Anyone want to buy a Samsung nexus S?

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Duckman2008 posted:

You will get it I'm 4 weeks, I will check the promo terms next time I am at work.

Galaxy nexus ordered for me. Anyone want to buy a Samsung nexus S?

PM sent.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
Really interested in the Galaxy Nexus but am kind of confused about why I'm buying an LTE phone when there is no LTE. And won't be til possibly mid-2012 but that doesn't seem very firm and there's no actual definition of what mid-2012 means (some sites seem to think that means August).

But I'm still using a Moment so I'm about to shoot myself in the head if I don't buy something soon. Anything.

If you know when DC will get LTE that would be awesome.

I also feel silly buying an S2 when the next one comes out in less than a month. I know Sprint won't have it then but how long will it really take for them to get it?

Seriously why is there so little hard info in the mobile phone world?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Kase Im Licht posted:

Really interested in the Galaxy Nexus but am kind of confused about why I'm buying an LTE phone when there is no LTE. And won't be til possibly mid-2012 but that doesn't seem very firm and there's no actual definition of what mid-2012 means (some sites seem to think that means August).

But I'm still using a Moment so I'm about to shoot myself in the head if I don't buy something soon. Anything.

I also feel silly buying an S2 when the next one comes out in less than a month. I know Sprint won't have it then but how long will it really take for them to get it?

If you're in DC, you should seriously just buy a Nexus S. DC is one of the best WiMax cities I've been to, so please stop torturing yourself with the Moment.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kase Im Licht posted:

You can get a Nexus S for little more than the cost of upgrading to any worthwhile phone on Sprint. It runs ICS, and very well at that. It will last you until LTE gets there, and then some. You have good wimax coverage so you'll be able to have 4G until you get the next iteration of 4G, but not be stuck waiting for your contract to wind up.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 1, 2012

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
If you're in DC, you should seriously just buy a Nexus S. DC is one of the best WiMax cities I've been to, so please stop torturing yourself with the Moment.

If DC is the best Wimax city then the others must be truly horrible, I still never bother using it here unless I'm tethering in one place. 3G has deteriorated rapidly over the last year too.

Mumur
May 13, 2011

Pooh Bear
My contract recently expired and I have an opportunity to upgrade my EVO 3D. It seems to make sense to do it now and sell the 3D while it still has some value to it. I'll probably end up going with a Galaxy Nexus or an iPhone. I haven't had much time to play with the Nexus so that will probably determine it.

I rarely use the 4G here as it generally sucks unless you are in an open field, or for whatever reason, inside the airport. My guess is St. Louis isn't on the short-term plan for LTE, so that really isn't a factor. It doesn't seem like there are a lot of better options coming up in the near term, true?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
You could wait to see what Apple announces (rumor is June or July for iPhone 5). Not only would it give you another option, but the 4S price will drop.

OptimusMatrix posted:

So I used the upgrade on my account and got the 64 gig iPhone 4s. Coming from and Evo 3d. It took a little getting used to. But like everyone says it just works. I sure hope they release the next one with the bigger screen though. That's the only thing that I'm missing. Swype too as well. But the keyboard is pretty drat amazing at prediction compared to any keyboard on the Evo.

The iPhone keyboard blows away any keyboard I ever used (second has to be the iPhone keyboard mod for MIUI). It took me a month to get use to the screen size. I think it is all a matter of what you are use to. When I look at at my old EVO it seems way too big now. Like you I would like to see a slightly bigger screen on the new iPhone (between 3.5 and 4 inches).

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

nate fisher posted:

The iPhone keyboard blows away any keyboard I ever used (second has to be the iPhone keyboard mod for MIUI). It took me a month to get use to the screen size. I think it is all a matter of what you are use to. When I look at at my old EVO it seems way too big now. Like you I would like to see a slightly bigger screen on the new iPhone (between 3.5 and 4 inches).

Have you used the Stock ICS keyboard fairly extensively? I find it to be much better than the keyboard on Gingerbread phones.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Jensen posted:

Have you used the Stock ICS keyboard fairly extensively? I find it to be much better than the keyboard on Gingerbread phones.

I have used it for no more than 4 hours or so (on a Verizon Galaxy Nexus). It did seem better (with what little time I used it) than most Android keyboards. So I really can't judge it either way. Still even before I was a big fan of Swype and many of the MIUI modded keyboards. Actually my biggest worry about going to iPhone was the keyboard (I have big hands and I was use to the EVO) but the my worries were unwarranted.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Can someone post a few pictures taken with the Galaxy Nexus? I'm interested in seeing what the phone's camera can do.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
I am up for a new phone and am having a really hard time deciding what to get. I was going to wait for the HTC EVO 4G LTE until I read the last 2 pages of this thread. I have had an Replenish for a year and HATE IT!!! I would love a recommendation if someone doesn't mind.

Important to me (descending order)

1a The data connection must be persistent. My phone CONSTANTLY decides it's not on the network anymore (No data connection) and I have to reboot it, and I really need to get emails and texts during the day.

1b. Decent battery. Back in the day I could charge my Blackberry* twice a week. Now it's every 4 hours.

2. Is a hotspot (I think this is most phones now, but to be sure)

10. Is not a brick, i.e. comfortable in pocket.

11. Mount for charging/GPS in car

Not important

- Watching video/movies/the screen
- Installing different cool apps/loving with the OS, etc.
- Camera

I really appreciate it.

*I was thinking about just going back to BB but the only one I see that is a mobile hotspot with a "5.4 hr battery" which is of their claimed talk time is the worst.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.

Duckman2008 posted:

I'm not at work for a few days, but I have the 2.2 file if you can hang on (don't need root to backtrack it), I'll put a Dropbox link in the OP so anyone can get it. Sprint should have just left the Optimus at 2.2, beyond sucking on the Optimus 2.3 is just loving ugly on those phones.

Beyond the 6 cities announced nothing official, either way just buy the galaxy nexus, it's LTE and would suit your needs fine, so when you do get LTE it's already set to go.

FYI you could buy up your upgrade for about $70, maybe less. Call the retentions number from the Op if you want to do that

Thanks for the info. I realized that the battery drain was occurring because the NPR news app was staying on in the background - I guess process management changed just enough that 2.3 doesn't kill it properly or something (also the NPR app is kind of lovely). I'll see how its performance is over the next couple of days before deciding whether or not I want to roll back. I agree it is kind of ugly but it also seems to have fewer problems with freezing up.

As far as a new phone goes, I'm holding off until September anyway. I hate to be that guy girl but I'm also waiting to see what the new iPhone's like. If I need to upgrade to SERO premium+$10 anyway I'm tempted to make the switch. Everyone I know who has one has zero problems with theirs and I find the "it just works" thing pretty appealing. I don't mind futzing with my computer but I want my phone to just work when I want it to without a lot of fuss from me. There's also the issue that I have really small hands, even for a girl, and I don't find phones with larger footprints comfortable enough to use with one hand. The Optimus' size is pretty ideal for me, although I can imagine I'd be ok with something up to 4". So something like the Nexus is probably just a tad too big to be tenable. (I realize this rules a lot of phones out for me, unfortunately. And if the new iPhone is significantly bigger than the 4S I dunno what I'll do.)

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Can someone post a few pictures taken with the Galaxy Nexus? I'm interested in seeing what the phone's camera can do.

I put five pictures I took on my GNex in my public album here, https://picasaweb.google.com/100939246550954797005/Public?authuser=0&feat=directlink . Here are a couple direct links:

Outdoor shot

Indoor shot

Frankly, the camera isn't awesome, but it is better than my OG EVO 4G so I'm happy with it.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

I am up for a new phone and am having a really hard time deciding what to get. I

Honestly, You can't go wrong with the Iphone. It does pretty much everything you want it to do. And probably has the best battery life on Sprint.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Robo Kitty posted:

As far as a new phone goes, I'm holding off until September anyway. I hate to be that guy girl but I'm also waiting to see what the new iPhone's like. If I need to upgrade to SERO premium+$10 anyway I'm tempted to make the switch. Everyone I know who has one has zero problems with theirs and I find the "it just works" thing pretty appealing. I don't mind futzing with my computer but I want my phone to just work when I want it to without a lot of fuss from me. There's also the issue that I have really small hands, even for a girl, and I don't find phones with larger footprints comfortable enough to use with one hand. The Optimus' size is pretty ideal for me, although I can imagine I'd be ok with something up to 4". So something like the Nexus is probably just a tad too big to be tenable. (I realize this rules a lot of phones out for me, unfortunately. And if the new iPhone is significantly bigger than the 4S I dunno what I'll do.)

There is no such thing as a perfect phone, and the iPhone has had it share of issues (remember the release of 4). Still coming from Android to iOS it feels close to perfect as any phone I ever had. I have had zero issues while right now everyone of my current 4 lines of Android phones has had a issue. I use to bitch about iPhone not having the most up to date hardware, but it seems Apple, most of the time, will wait a year just to ensure it works correctly. Also Apple controlling the hardware allows for them to optimize it with the software. I wish Google would take similar route, because fragmentation doesn't only affect the optimization of the software but the eco-system that supports the phone. That said most top tier Android phones are great despite what the Apple fanboys say, and I do not believe anyone could go wrong with a Nexus.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

I am up for a new phone and am having a really hard time deciding what to get. I was going to wait for the HTC EVO 4G LTE until I read the last 2 pages of this thread. I have had an Replenish for a year and HATE IT!!! I would love a recommendation if someone doesn't mind.
<list of requirements>
Literally any non-"budget phone" will fulfill these requirements perfectly fine.

Mumur
May 13, 2011

Pooh Bear
I upgraded to the 4S today. Everything works great, except for Google Voice integration is completely borked at the moment. My previous Android phone was set up for the GV number to be the main number, and I did a disable/enable of GV for the new phone. Incoming calls seem to work fine, but I can't make any outgoing calls. Incoming text messages however just send the GV activation code to the phone, but show up fine on GV. Is doing a disable cycle going to do anything, or is there something I'm missing?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I've had my Galaxy Nexus for about a week now, and while I don't typically use a lot of minutes, of the few calls that I've had pretty much every single one someone has complained that I'm cutting out, that the volume is fading in and out, hearing other voices and all kinds of crazy poo poo that I never had a single problem with on my EVO 4G. Is anyone else having issues with voice calls? It's strange because the 3G internet seems reliable enough, possibly better reception than my EVO.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.

peepsalot posted:

I've had my Galaxy Nexus for about a week now, and while I don't typically use a lot of minutes, of the few calls that I've had pretty much every single one someone has complained that I'm cutting out, that the volume is fading in and out, hearing other voices and all kinds of crazy poo poo that I never had a single problem with on my EVO 4G. Is anyone else having issues with voice calls? It's strange because the 3G internet seems reliable enough, possibly better reception than my EVO.

My boss has a Galaxy Nexus on Verizon, and his does the same thing. I thought maybe it was a Verizon thing... I guess not.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Jensen posted:

I was a big fan of Swiftkey on my EVO 3D. Unfortunately, it just gave up on booting and stopped reading SD cards at the same time, so I picked up an iPhone 4S a few weeks ago. The iPhone keyboard has impressed me so far. I was a little nervous about switching from Android to iOS, but the 4S hasn't let me down at all so far. It did feel kind of small at first, but I got used to it pretty quickly (that's wha...nevermind).

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

peepsalot posted:

I've made quite a few amount of calls with the phone since I've had it and the call quality has been perfect - better sounding than the EVO 3D for sure.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
It might be related to this (there are issues with the Nexus connecting to Sprint's network):

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/1/2991439/sprint-galaxy-nexus-software-update-connectivity-issues

I thought it was just a data issue, but maybe not. Still it seems Sprint should have a fix out pretty soon.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Toying with the idea of selling my Evo 3D for a Nexus or equivalent new super phone in a month or two. I'm running Fresh rom - it's not a bad phone, but it's been neglected by HTC and the community for the most part. Is this a reasonable idea, or should I stick it out?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I was just told in the main Android thread that Sprint's ETF is the same (i.e., as low as it's going to get) once you're within five months of your contract date...is this true?

I have to decide whether to pay the ETF to leave for Straight Talk, or wait until July...my Evo is getting more and more ornery lately.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

It might be related to this (there are issues with the Nexus connecting to Sprint's network):

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/1/2991439/sprint-galaxy-nexus-software-update-connectivity-issues

I thought it was just a data issue, but maybe not. Still it seems Sprint should have a fix out pretty soon.

Fix actually released yesterday, so anyone with a Sprint Gnex check your updates.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Fix actually released yesterday, so anyone with a Sprint Gnex check your updates.
I just did this and my Gnex is stuck on a screen with a lying-down android with a red triangle with an exclamation mark on it. gently caress.

edit: Pulled the battery and got it to go back. It no longer says there's an update available in System updates, but I can't tell if it installed properly or not. It says the baseband version is L700.05 V.FC12 / L700.FC12, is this the thing to look at?

edit: Build number is IMM76D.L700FC12 so from what I can tell, it didn't take. Whenever I try and check for updates it says "Your system is currently up to date" but that can't be right.

DanAdamKOF fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 3, 2012

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Did you root and flash a different kernel?

Edit: I had to restore from a stock image. I had rooted and flashed the franco kernel though.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

DanAdamKOF posted:

I just did this and my Gnex is stuck on a screen with a lying-down android with a red triangle with an exclamation mark on it. gently caress.

edit: Pulled the battery and got it to go back. It no longer says there's an update available in System updates, but I can't tell if it installed properly or not. It says the baseband version is L700.05 V.FC12 / L700.FC12, is this the thing to look at?

edit: Build number is IMM76D.L700FC12 so from what I can tell, it didn't take. Whenever I try and check for updates it says "Your system is currently up to date" but that can't be right.

I just ran this update and didn't get any sort of error image like that. My Baseband now says L700.05 V.FD02 / L700.FD02, so it sounds like the update was not properly applied to your phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

My friend suggested I root as soon as I got my Gnex and I did, with Wug's Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit. I'm not even 100% sure it worked since OTA Rootkeeper doesn't seem to do anything to it.

Saw this on XDA:

quote:

I used Root Explorer to copy the update package from /cache to /sdcard, went into clockworkmod recovery and flashed the .zip file from there (after I did a full nandroid backup). Everything worked great and I've got the FD02 update running on my GNex.
and trying that right now...

edit: Hmm, from what I can tell I'm partially rooted or something. Like when I try and update superuser it says "fail" when it says "Gaining root access". But my lock state shows unlocked. Looks like I have some problems to work out.

Looks like I was unlocked but not rooted. I used this program: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1614827 and it looks like I'm rooted now, I'm getting Superuser prompts and Rootkeeper is functioning like it should.

I played with this for a few hours, there's a XDA thread about the update here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1632043 some dude had a hacked update but that didn't work for me either. I'm just going to sit this out and wait for a solution to pop up.

DanAdamKOF fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 3, 2012