Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Super Dude posted:

Just ordered an asus tf300 with the keyboard thing! I can't wait!

Just don't whip it out in front of your mother, okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I'm seriously considering walking into a Best Buy tomorrow and buying the tf300, finally getting myself a tablet with my tax return. Is there any particular reason I shouldn't, or is the machine free of the round one flaws the prime was?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

If you have a more flexible budget you might have buyer's remorse when the Infinity launches this summer. Otherwise the TF300 is a good mid-range tablet.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Eh. I don't think I'm willing to drop what will probably be 200-300 dollars more for a device category I don't even have already for what amounts to slightly more resolution on an already small screen and as much extra processing power as can probably be tweaked out of the 300 if I really wanted it. I think 400 is a better price point for me since I'm basically 'trying out' having a tablet. Though I wouldn't mind the brightness.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Even without using SuperIPS+ mode on my tablet I find that maximum brightness settings are more than enough for day light viewing outside.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
No gorilla glass is way more of a concern for me than the higher brightness

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

"not Corning brand Gorilla Glass" does not mean "not toughened"

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Yawgmoft posted:

No gorilla glass is way more of a concern for me than the higher brightness

The only touch device I have where the glass broke was the one with Gorilla glass, so I don't put too much stock in it.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Yeah I' pretty sure I'm going to get it at this point. I'll play around with it at best buy before work tomorrow and if it feels good I'll grab it

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

Super Dude posted:

The only touch device I have where the glass broke was the one with Gorilla glass, so I don't put too much stock in it.
There is a new Gorilla glass now. Gorilla Glass 2 I think its called. Its supposed to be better (thinner mostly).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
ICS on the A500 is very nice indeed - big improvement especially in the browser.

If you have one and haven't been pushed the OTA yet I recommend going over to XDA and grabbing the update.zip.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Super Dude posted:

As a rule the toughened glass in one of these devices resists scratching, not breaking. To resist breaking it would be better laminated, such as when the manufacture glues the glass to the digitiser to the lcd etc. This makes repairs an expensive "replace the whole assembly" affair, but I've dropped my phone so many times without it breaking I'm convinced if the 5" glass slab wasn't glued together it would have shattered no end of times now.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Super Dude posted:

Gorilla Glass sure didn't stop me from shattering the entire screen on my 2 week old Prime the first time I dropped it. :( Thank god for Squaretrade.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Yawgmoft posted:

Eh. I don't think I'm willing to drop what will probably be 200-300 dollars more for a device category I don't even have already for what amounts to slightly more resolution on an already small screen and as much extra processing power as can probably be tweaked out of the 300 if I really wanted it. I think 400 is a better price point for me since I'm basically 'trying out' having a tablet. Though I wouldn't mind the brightness.

You'll be fine with the 300. There's nothing midrange about it, it's basically the same device as the prime. It's not like you're losing half the cores or anything.

And the bonus is you'll be able to throw whatever h264 HD stuff you want at it in either 720 or 1080 and it won't break a sweat. I find that 720 looks great at that size display and if I want to watch something in 1080 I'll just either stream it to a bigger display or attach the HDMI..I've never said "hey I wish this 10 inch screen had a slightly higher DPI" in the 5 months I've had the thing.

Enjoy it!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

zer0spunk posted:

You'll be fine with the 300. There's nothing midrange about it, it's basically the same device as the prime.
It's decidedly mid-range: plastic construction, binned SoC that can't run as fast, worse screen, and smaller battery. I'm not saying it's bad, but you get what you pay for and there's a reason that the TF300T costs less than the Prime. It's the very definition of mid-range compared to the more expensive options out now, and especially compared to the Infinity coming in the next 2 months.

Also I only now realized that they changed the dock again. So much for dock compatibility among Transformers, ASUS.

zer0spunk posted:

I've never said "hey I wish this 10 inch screen had a slightly higher DPI" in the 5 months I've had the thing.
No one really did until the Retina display shipped. Don't knock it until you've tried it. High DPI on a touch surface is glorious.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's the very definition of mid-range compared to the more expensive options out now, and especially compared to the Infinity coming in the next 2 months.

I'll definitely give you mid range in its product line, though there's no low end, so I guess this is the low end and the prime is the mid range. It's still a tegra 3 tablet where we're still seeing the tegra 2 soc being sold on new tabs. That to me is the definition of a mid range android tablet now.

I would have honestly went with the 300 over the prime if it was an option at the time. What you lose in the step down is very negligible (slightly heavier/thicker, no cam flash, plastic housing, 100mhz difference in clock speed) compared to the price difference you're paying. 650 is a bit steep for a netbook, even if it's a touch sreen hybrid style netbook. 550 should be where they aimed in the first place.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Also I only now realized that they changed the dock again. So much for dock compatibility among Transformers, ASUS.
Honestly we should have seen that coming, the dock is the only place they can put any profit margin.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Is the connector changing? or the position or what?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Don Lapre posted:

Is the connector changing? or the position or what?

It's the girth difference between all of these. The dock hinge connector thing is precise fit, that's why you can't really have a screen protector on it if you're going to use the dock. I guess they could design a expandable style hinge but more moving parts to break. It's not like they'll make more with multiple keyboard SKUs since we're the only region that even has the option of buying these things without a keyboard bundled in anyway.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

zer0spunk posted:

I'll definitely give you mid range in its product line, though there's no low end,
Not from ASUS yet, but there's a slew of low-end Android tablets. Walk into a Best Buy some time, or poo poo even a drugstore.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I try and repress the existence of those lovely mips walmart tablets from my memory when possible. It'll get to the point where real low end hardware is so cheap that you'll literally get a rockport zztopx27862 free with a pair of socks.

Who buys those things anyway? Nothing good can come of any "tablet" sold in bubble packaging.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

zer0spunk posted:

It's the girth difference between all of these. The dock hinge connector thing is precise fit, that's why you can't really have a screen protector on it if you're going to use the dock. I guess they could design a expandable style hinge but more moving parts to break. It's not like they'll make more with multiple keyboard SKUs since we're the only region that even has the option of buying these things without a keyboard bundled in anyway.

Sounds like something that could have been done with an adapter for each tablet, kind of like the universal dock connector.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Are we still on track for the Google tablet or is that still just a rumor?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Are we still on track for the Google tablet or is that still just a rumor?
Everything is a rumor until it's actually announced. We haven't had any new information in a while, but it still seems likely that Google will make a Nexus-like tablet at some point.

If I had to guess though, it'll be a more entry-level price point to compete with the theoretical iPad Mini coming this fall and the Kindle Fire.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 1, 2012

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zer0spunk posted:

They would save a bundle by only having to make a single SKU (or two or three for different colors or whatever) rather than one for each new tablet they make. Stores would probably be more likely to sell it, too, if it's something that's not obsolete in six months.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Everything is a rumor until it's actually announced. We haven't had any new information in a while, but it still seems likely that Google will make a Nexus-like tablet at some point.

If I had to guess though, it'll be a more entry-level price point to compete with the theoretical iPad Mini coming this fall and the Kindle Fire.

Hopefully it'll be out around July and I can nab it for a birthday gift or something.

Thanks for the reply

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
You guys think the Infinity will be priced over $600? Are tablets that are non iPads even selling at that price point?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

b0nes posted:

You guys think the Infinity will be priced over $600? Are tablets that are non iPads even selling at that price point?

Yes.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

b0nes posted:

Depends on how you define "selling."

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

randyest posted:

Depends on how you define "selling."

Are people purchasing them? I actually someone with a non-iPad the other day.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

b0nes posted:

Are people purchasing them? I actually someone with a non-iPad the other day.

As a former non-iPad haver, get an iPad.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

b0nes posted:

I actually someone with a non-iPad the other day.

I hope you used protection. Just don't tell your mom, okay?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Amazon's got a daily special on refurb Kindle Fires, wherein they are $139. Not bad, given the hardware.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Peven Stan posted:

As a former non-iPad haver, get an iPad.

As a current iPad/Xoom haver, get whichever you like the best. For me it's the Xoom (my iPad is used pretty much only for development as I find the OS too irritating to use for day to day tasks).

Also playing with my buddies Transformer Prime at work and its keyboard dock I'd say it's the best tablet/dock combo available at the moment.

Glimm fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 2, 2012

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I guess I will have to play around with both. My initial impression of the iPad was good. I just don't like how you can't really customize it. All I see is a big evenly spaced grid of icons.

Riller
Jun 16, 2008
I'm just chiming in here to say that I received my Asus Transformer Pad 300 two days ago and I love it. It's the first tablet that I've owned, and it seemed like a good price point. I had been putting off replacing the broken screen on my dated laptop, and this seemed like a good alternative. I can't compare the build quality of this to other tablets, but it seems pretty sturdy for plastic construction. Using it outdoors isn't an issue and it takes great pictures. Tablets weren't even something that I had considered until I saw the price for this one and how it compared to the Transformer Prime. I think Asus really hit the sweet spot for price and performance, and they will probably attract more first-time tablet buyers with the TF300.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Glimm posted:

As a current iPad/Xoom haver, get whichever you like the best. For me it's the Xoom (my iPad is used pretty much only for development as I find the OS too irritating to use for day to day tasks).
Have you gotten any development projects that are exclusively for Android?

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

b0nes posted:

I guess I will have to play around with both. My initial impression of the iPad was good. I just don't like how you can't really customize it. All I see is a big evenly spaced grid of icons.

the intent of iPad operation is "device becomes the app." So customizing the app launcher portion of it isn't really a consideration: the apps are supposed to be its customization.

This isn't me saying this how all tablets should function. But this is how you should think about the iPad, from a customization, "big app launcher" device perspective. You're not supposed to be staring at "non-app" space for any real length of time.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

b0nes posted:

Why do you care about customizing the home screen more than changing the wallpaper and putting your shortcuts where you want them?

Ive personally never found widgets very useful, they are mostly glorified app launchers, never showing enough information to be really valuable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Don Lapre posted:

Ive personally never found widgets very useful, they are mostly glorified app launchers, never showing enough information to be really valuable.

having my schedule, detailed weather like wind speed and a quick dialer that lets you assign between launching into a text/email/or call with that contact without having to launch an app is pretty nice. Even if you don't find that useful, I definitely do.