Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Pastrami and Beet Greens on Jewish Rye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Don't you know pump it up! YOU'VE GOT TO PUMP IT UP!!!
That sure look appetizing, if only I could get my eye to focus on the food and not the toilet! :gonk:

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Thanks for the thread. Inspired by it, I've had some fun shooting pics of my breakfast, thinking about going for something more elaborated (e.g. main course..).

Critics?

maxmars fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 20, 2012

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
^ I like it, but the perspective is blowing my mind. I only wish the shadows were behind the fruit rather than to the right.

If you do a shot like that again I would like to see if the shadows following the grain of the wood would help (or shadows hidden behind the objects), and get rid of the white glare on the top of the shot,

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Makes sense, didn't think of it. Thanks!

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

maxmars posted:

Thanks for the thread. Inspired by it, I've had some fun shooting pics of my breakfast, thinking about going for something more elaborated (e.g. main course..).

Critics?

It's a great subject, lighting is good and colors are excellent, but there are a few things I would adjust.

The angle is weird, but I think it might be the perspective is distorted. Did you shoot this with a wide angle lens? I would have overall just shot the subject lower

Mainly though, work with the scene more. I get what you are doing with putting the berries on the table, but it's not natural, they just look deliberately put there. So have a container of each berry in the background and maybe find one of those old fashioned milk bottles and half fill with milk to be next to the milk glass. Maybe a cloth on the table, or some sort of place mat (a folded cloth napkin works well) and also something to eat the berries with.

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

We gonna see what you been up to lately mysticp :shobon:

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

LAchristus posted:

We gonna see what you been up to lately mysticp :shobon:

For a new blog project

For this really interesting super modern, foraging based, restaurant in NYC

Same place

Same place

A new pizza restaurant which was some of the most fun I have had on a shoot in a long time

Same pizza place

Did a shoot for a Shake Shack feature

Tearsheet from feature

I have also been doing a lot more of this type of work, so it's not really so dish related but just restaurant/food industry type stuff.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH
We had some yummys at work, and since the best camera I had with me was my cellphone, that is what I used.
I am not really interested in food photography in general but I figured that it was a good exercise in terms of "posing" the subject and using the available lighting we have here at work. Please let me know how I could have improved this, given the constraints of the "gear" I was using.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
These photos aren't anything particularly ground breaking or special but I thought I'd share them anyways.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Some food that I shot recently

Sushi by alkanphel, on Flickr

Sashimi by alkanphel, on Flickr

Oyakodon by alkanphel, on Flickr

Grilled Asparagus by alkanphel, on Flickr

Grilled Lamb Ribs by alkanphel, on Flickr

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Evilkiksass posted:

Turn the plate, so it is not "sideways" - and fix the color so it isn't green.

Miso Beno posted:

These photos aren't anything particularly ground breaking or special but I thought I'd share them anyways.

Not bad at all. My eye is a contrast whore, so I would personally brighten them a bit, and had a soft light filter and lower the opacity. The main thing about your pictures are that they seem very crowded, and plates overlap each other - try and give it more space or have less things in each shot!

mysticp posted:

yummy stuff

As always really nice and clean! That open fire oven shot is incredible, I SO wanna eat a good italian pizza right now!

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Made a cinnamon & strawberry ice-cream sandwich today and thought it looked too good not to take a photo of.

Should have widened the DoF ever so slightly I think.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Miso Beno posted:

Did you intend for the bokeh to look like rising steam?

alkanphel posted:

Sushi by alkanphel, on Flickr

Sashimi by alkanphel, on Flickr

A dam just broke in my mouth. It could be a little brighter but I love the textures here.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

A dam just broke in my mouth. It could be a little brighter but I love the textures here.
Haha thanks! For the first one I was going for the subdued/subtle light feel but I agree that the second one could be a bit brighter.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I definitely don't disagree with soft/subtle light on sushi (just for fun you should take a photo in bright daylight or under a worklamp and see what happens) but sushi in the dark starts to look a little scummy (it doesn't help that you're shooting on black plates).

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Breakfast.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Soto

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Reichstag posted:

Breakfast.
You have strange eating habits.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Did you intend for the bokeh to look like rising steam?

Yup. I hope it's not too tacky.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

William T. Hornaday posted:

You have strange eating habits.

Yeah, who eats grapefruits?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Miso Beno posted:

Yup. I hope it's not too tacky.

It's cute but I think it would have been more effective with just one subject, right now it's just distracting because it's too strong an idea and it's ripping my attention away from the brownie.

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's cute but I think it would have been more effective with just one subject, right now it's just distracting because it's too strong an idea and it's ripping my attention away from the brownie.

Yeah seconding this - but hey, it's pretty creative you know!

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!
Been shooting a lot of editorial stuff recently. Lots of fun and a completely different challenge when there is next to no decent light and mad deadlines.

The last shot I did get to use an umbrella for a bit of fill

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

mysticp posted:

Especially digging the one with the hands! But it is fun doing shots like that, where you don't have time to plan and relax. Last weekend I shot at an event, that was completely candlelit.. Who does that to the photographer, seriously. And where is the 5D mk. III? I need the better ISO like yesterday.

But great pictures mysticp!

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Risotto

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Just popping in to say, man am I glad I started this thread. Y'all are doing some killer work!

mdtyson
Jul 21, 2008
Been doing some photography work for a restaurant here in Portland. Most of the photos end up on their Facebook (which I also run, to be transparent, not fishing for likes) (https://www.facebook.com/urbanfarmerportland) but I've added some to my flickr account. Would love your input and advice!

Untitled by drewsiah, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Alternate take to what I posted on my new foodblog. Couldn't decide which setting fit more...

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
That looks like poop, I'm glad you went with the clover.

mdtyson posted:

This looks like poop too. You should be very careful not to make your food look like poop. In all seriousness, half the joy of a shish-kebab is the shape, the repeating (or non-repeating) objects. Here you have meat, meat, meat, meat and while I get what you were going for in bringing only one into focus and letting us fill in the rest you have the issue of focusing on the wrong one. The foreground meatball and the background meatballs are all blending in with your in-focus meatball and it's destroying the shish-kebab aesthetic. There's a reason shish-kebabs are usually photographed from a higher angle and that's because the whole look of a shish-kebab is in its length - I can hardly tell that that's a shish-kebab at all!

BioTech posted:

Risotto

This is nice and I love the shrimp texture but the celery pieces look like maggots.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Reichstag posted:

Alternate take to what I posted on my new foodblog. Couldn't decide which setting fit more...

I like your foodblog. Much more like how I eat my foods (never at the table) and its something different, yet relatable.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

No.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Keep going, I really love your pictures.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

This is nice and I love the shrimp texture but the celery pieces look like maggots.

If you like the shrimps but hate the celery, I think you might enjoy this one.

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

BioTech posted:

If you like the shrimps but hate the celery, I think you might enjoy this one.

Almost there dude! The composition is a bit to centered for me and the spoons point the same way. And for me, a touch more of contrast.

Here is something I did the at saturdays pop-up restaurant. You can see the rest of the series on my blog, and also some other recent work.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

LAchristus posted:

Almost there dude! The composition is a bit to centered for me and the spoons point the same way. And for me, a touch more of contrast.

Thanks, I really appreciate that kind of advice since I'm still very new to this. Check out the latest batch I'm satisfied with;

Italian Meat Loaf. Came out a bit too bright for my liking, but darker makes the meat look really off. First time I tried to embed eggs so I didn't push it as hard as I should have, so that is why it looks like it was added after.

Pasta. Should have cut the greens a bit less coarse. I think this is an improvement in the composition you mentioned in regards to the prawn udon soup or not?

Balsamico Chicken Skewers with Lemon-Chives-Red Chili Mayonaise. I'm not really sure about the same topping on both the mayonnaise and the chicken, but the chives are already in the mayonnaise and when I didn't sprinkle it over the chicken everything just looked like a brown blur. It gives the meat real contrast, but also kind of lessens the overall effect since it is everywhere. It should have been all about the mayonnaise since I never made that before, but I prefer it getting a little bit lost over being surrounded by just browns.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

LAchristus posted:

Here is something I did the at saturdays pop-up restaurant. You can see the rest of the series on my blog, and also some other recent work.
I love the presentation and styling of these photos, I just felt that a tighter crop might work for some of them like the 3rd and 4th ones, so that my attention is focused on the food rather than the styling.

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.

PushingKingston fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

PushingKingston posted:

I'm not sure what you're looking to do, but it definitely has a sanitized, institutional feel (which could be cool, considering). The white coffee mug really blends too much into the wall. I like the white/yellow theme, though.

• Locked thread