Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

squidflakes posted:

Ok, I just developed my first batch of 4X5 and I got nothing. Literally nothing on the sheets. I tried putting in two back to back and I'm wondering if maybe I accidentally put them in facing because they were stuck together and were mostly still coated with grey.

Two questions here.

On sheet film, if the notices are in the upper right corner, the emulsion side should be facing me, right? When you load them in to the film holders, you load with the notices in the upper right, which makes the emulsion face the dark slide, and eventually the light. Is that correct?

When you're developing, at what point can you turn the lights back on? I thought I read in this thread that once you've dumped out the developer, you were ok to remove the lid of the tank to wash and then do fixing.

Watch this youtube video on how to load film. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikOI1XLBxqA

Film isn't light safe until it has been fixed. If you're turning on the light during the development that might explain the lack of images

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
If they were blank that's developer gently caress up. Turning the lights on would result in black film.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

squidflakes posted:

were mostly still coated with grey.

Sounds like they didn't even get fixed then. (If it was "undeveloped emulsion" gray.)

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
Emulsion is really goddamn sticky when wet. If you thought the sheets were back-to-back, but were actually touching face-to-face, the wet emulsion surfaces would have basically glued the two sheets together and prevented the developer and fixer from getting in there to do anything useful.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Three of the sheets came out completely blank. Just shy of sunglasses dark, completely see-thru, with some very very faint swirls of a slightly darker tone, and one of the sheets had a square shape in the corner that was really dark.

I've got a tank and holders just for 4X5, and it said they could be loaded back to back to get 12 sheets in the tank at a time, but I doubt I'll be doing that again.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It might be pretty wasteful in time and chemicals, but try doing just a single sheet next time, and if you get that right, do 6 at a time. When you get tired of that, try just two sheets back-to-back, and if you get that right try with a full 12.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

JaundiceDave posted:

Watch this youtube video on how to load film. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikOI1XLBxqA

Film isn't light safe until it has been fixed. If you're turning on the light during the development that might explain the lack of images

Lower right corner?

So, they grey side is the emulsion side?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
There's a shiny/plstic side and a smooth/matte side. The matte side is the emulsion.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Paul MaudDib posted:

There's a shiny/plstic side and a smooth/matte side. The matte side is the emulsion.

Twenty sheets. I shot twenty sheets of 4X5 backwards. I... :smithicide:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

squidflakes posted:

Twenty sheets. I shot twenty sheets of 4X5 backwards. I... :smithicide:

That should still get you pictures, just underexposed and less sharp than they ought to. You shot through the anti-halation layer, simply.

I just developed my first roll of Fuji Acros, is it supposed to dye both fixer and wetting agent pale red? I'm especially worrying about the wetting agent, whether I perhaps fixed too little. (From Kodak's films I remember the anti-halation layer mainly turning the developer red.)

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."

nielsm posted:

I just developed my first roll of Fuji Acros, is it supposed to dye both fixer and wetting agent pale red? I'm especially worrying about the wetting agent, whether I perhaps fixed too little. (From Kodak's films I remember the anti-halation layer mainly turning the developer red.)

It's some sort of anti halation dye(I think,) that takes a bit to get out. You can wash it out of the film with some hypo and tons of agitation. Or just leave it under running water for a long time. One method leaves you with a slightly more guilty conscious. I pre wet the film when I develop and that seems to help so by the time I get to fixing most of the dye is already out and if it dyes the fix I cant tell, the film base however is still stained.

Ferris Bueller fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 30, 2012

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
I want to play around with some IR film (probably Efke IR 820 aura - http://www.macodirect.de/efke-aura-p-1794.html), and from what I understand I need a red filter. Most people recommend the Hoya R72, but its like $140. Can I get away with a dodgy chinese knockoff (as below), or is IR demanding quality-wise?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/77mm-IR-...#ht_4188wt_1163

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

joelcamefalling posted:

I want to play around with some IR film (probably Efke IR 820 aura - http://www.macodirect.de/efke-aura-p-1794.html), and from what I understand I need a red filter. Most people recommend the Hoya R72, but its like $140. Can I get away with a dodgy chinese knockoff (as below), or is IR demanding quality-wise?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/77mm-IR-...#ht_4188wt_1163

Actually if you really want to skate on the cheap side of things, go to a pro lab and see if they will give you a strip of unexposed, developed slide film. It'll be solid black and works OK as a cheap IR-pass filter. It won't pass any visible light though, so it will slow things right down.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
Post your film stash

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Want dat film stash.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

JaundiceDave posted:

Post your film stash

It belongs in the fridge. :argh:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Huge stocks are not for me.

Orange-capped canisters are old Pan F.
Loose HP5 roll is the 72 exposure version. I don't know if any of my cameras can actually deal with that.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

go frozen or go home

e: right next to the fish fillets. yum

whereismyshoe fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 1, 2012

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

8th-samurai posted:

looks like your overdue a trip to the film lab.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
There're two rolls left in each of the boxes. Portra usually sits on a shelf near a heating vent :v:

DSC00669 by patnumber8, on Flickr

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
ok, just moved stash to freezer. had been meaning to for a while.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

guidoanselmi posted:

looks like your overdue a trip to the film lab.

Only five of those exposed rolls are for the lab. I really need to figure out where I stashed my B&W gear during our last move and start working on that back log.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Thanks for posting that, when I pulled my film out I realized 1/3 was missing, left sitting out in the garage...

We had two bags of Reala, six boxes of Acros, seventy-five rolls of Provia, six boxes of Vericolor sheets, a scattering of 800z and Sensia, a whole galaxy of multi-colored Portras, 400NC, 400UC, 160NC, 160VC, 400 New... also two packs of 100C, two packs of 3000B, two bricks of Legacy Pro, twelve Propacks of Konica Color Professional 160, and two dozen FP4s. Not that we needed all that for this trip, but once you get locked into a serious film collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the Konica. There is nothing more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of a Konica binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon.

Note: AdrenoChrome 100 not pictured due to legal concerns.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 1, 2012

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

Paul MaudDib posted:

Thanks for posting that, when I pulled my film out I realized 1/3 was missing, left sitting out in the garage...

We had two bags of Reala, six boxes of Acros, seventy-five rolls of Provia, six boxes of Vericolor sheets, a scattering of 800z and Sensia, a whole galaxy of multi-colored Portras, 400NC, 400UC, 160NC, 160VC, 400 New... also two packs of 100C, two packs of 3000B, two bricks of Legacy Pro, a case of Konica Color Professional 160, and two dozen FP4s. Not that we needed all that for this trip, but once you get locked into a serious film collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the Konica. There is nothing more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of a Konica binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon.

Note: AdrenoChrome 100 not pictured due to legal concerns.

haha this is loving awesome

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
So I finally got some rolls of Ektar 100 developed. I had Walgreens do the CDs for me, just to see what the scans looked like. I also scanned them at home using my Epson 2480. I'm seeing drastic differences in what the photos look like. None of them look like what I would call "good"

Here's a side by side comparison in lightroom. (Walgreens on the left, my scan on the right) Neither photo has been messed with at all at this point.

There's obviously more detail in the one I scanned, but the colors don't really look "right" to me in either one.

What should I be doing to get better results? Do I need a better scanner?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I've found that using Vuescan and locking the film base color usually produces fairly good colors. I'd say your scan looks fine except it's got a bit of a green cast. White balance off the sky highlight in the background, and then just play with the curves on the three channels (adjusting highlights/midpoints/shadows individually for the colors). Unfortunately it's kinda hard to get good consistent color in scans.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
I guess I should just treat my scan the same way I would treat a "RAW" file from my DSLR and post process it. This is what I came up with after messing about a bit.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
It must have been the film, because I ran two sheets through the tank today and got...

Not the best work, but these are testers to get me practiced with developing.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

The lady of the house wanted the kitchen fridge back, so I had to get a little bar fridge for the back room. Lots'o Neopan, Fomapan, Rollei Retro, Instax Wide with some RA-4 chems/paper, with bunches of random stuff.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

echobucket posted:

I guess I should just treat my scan the same way I would treat a "RAW" file from my DSLR and post process it. This is what I came up with after messing about a bit.

It still looks pretty saturated which looks like it's killing the tonality on this shot. It's worth noting that Ektar is a VERY low-latitude negative film, it has a tendency to lose tonality if shot more than a stop or so in either direction. It's one of the few negative films that I would say should be shot dead on at the box speed with no intentional variance.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
About half of my freezer is film.

Edit for list:

35mm:
HP5+
Portra 400
Velvia 50
random Kodak/Fuji/rebranded consumer film

120:
HP5+
Brick of Portra 400NC
Brick of Portra 100T
about 30 rolls of New Portra, both 400 and 160
Pro 400 MC
Vericolor II VPL
Tri-X
Plus-X
T-Max 100
Provia 100F
Provia 400X

4x5:
FP4+
HP5+
Acros
Astia
Provia
Velvia
NPL 160
Portra 160
Portra 400
Ektachrome
Era 100

Instant:
Polaroid Pogo
Polaroid 669
FP-100C, FP-100C45
FP-3000B, FP-3000B45

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 1, 2012

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

It still looks pretty saturated which looks like it's killing the tonality on this shot. It's worth noting that Ektar is a VERY low-latitude negative film, it has a tendency to lose tonality if shot more than a stop or so in either direction. It's one of the few negative films that I would say should be shot dead on at the box speed with no intentional variance.

Well, I was trying to get the flowers to look at closely as possible to the way they looked to me when I was there. I also processed the digital versions I shot on my D80 first, so I'm sure that's why I processed these to look similar.

Garvan Woodland Gardens 2012 by jdorseydesign, on Flickr

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
Crossposting from medium/large format thread.

Wrapping up a project, Temples of Commerce.

Description:

quote:

Our churches and temples have been replaced with idols of capitalism, worshipped in buildings that have supplanted the cathedrals of old as the centers of our civilization. Working at night with a large format camera and long exposures, I shot these buildings, these Temples of Commerce, trying to reveal their clinical design and their faux-religious aspirations in all their unnerving. disquieting grandeur.

Thus far in this project, I have had the police called on me several times, and I have had angry security guards say in every possible way: "no photography allowed."

With the exception of the buildings whose guards physically stood and blocked my camera, I kept shooting.

55 Broad Street, NY by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

AT&T, Water Street, NY by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

Off of Water Street, NY by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

Wall Street, NY by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

Munson Building, NY by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

first three are awesome. nice shots.

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.
I agree with guidoanselmi.

This:

JaundiceDave posted:

is probably the strongest of the bunch. I feel the highlights could maybe be raised just a tad though.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

UPS finally showed up :toot:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, Ektar is almost as finicky as slide film. My flash skills still aren't up to par, so I only shoot it when I have direct sunlight.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Speaking of Ektar...

0034_3.jpg by Winston85, on Flickr

0018_19.jpg by Winston85, on Flickr

0002_35.jpg by Winston85, on Flickr

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

We'll all be shooting Ektar in 10 years when slide film is a thing of the past :gbsmith:

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

GWBBQ posted:

We'll all be shooting Ektar in 10 years when slide film is a thing of the past :gbsmith:

10 years? Pretty optimistic thinking there!