Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The link I just posted has made me biased toward bedframes made of shipping pallets (totally doing this).

But I would recommend going to an outlet store and actually trying out the mattresses there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

psydude posted:

The link I just posted has made me biased toward bedframes made of shipping pallets (totally doing this).

But I would recommend going to an outlet store and actually trying out the mattresses there.

Are you not concerned by splinters, loose nails and staples? And the fact that the wood is not full of lovely preservatives and heat treated to kill bugs?

Ikea furniture is fine as long as you stay with their better, more expensive stuff.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Walmart also has some surprisingly good and cheap stuff (if you look at their sales) and if you have one near you the ship to store is free..

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nuntius posted:

Are you not concerned by splinters, loose nails and staples? And the fact that the wood is not full of lovely preservatives and heat treated to kill bugs?

Ikea furniture is fine as long as you stay with their better, more expensive stuff.

This is all pretty easily addressed: give it a sanding, remove any rogue nails, and apply a clear sealant or mineral oil.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Beds? BEDS!

http://www.bludot.com/modern-bedroom-furniture/modern-beds.html
http://cityjoinery.com/?pcat=beds#all
http://www.clearlakefurniture.com/fhbeds.html
http://www.shimna.net/
http://www.delaespada.com/index.php/us/product/select/2

So many beds so many expensive beds. I imagine you want something cheaper.
http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/sub...Subcategory=135
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/bed-and-bath/beds/1

Whoa I found my old bed, or something similar. https://www.leonardsdirect.com/Antique-Beds/Carved-Pineapple-Top-Bed-in-Mahogany-from-the-1930s/3507

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 27, 2012

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
E: nvm

N. Senada fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 27, 2012

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Space Harrier posted:

Anybody have advice on buying a nice bed? I am moving out of my current place this month, and don't want to take my old Craigslist mattress and lovely Ikea bedframe with me. New town has a Sam's Club that has an okay selection of mattresses and boxsprings to choose from and reasonable delivery charges. Would I be better off buying from an outlet? What would be a good price for a quality King mattress+Boxspring+Bedrame?

There were a lot of careposts about beds and bedding in here a page or two ago. Basically it comes down to what sort of bed you like and what your budget is.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

How common is it for your rent to get bumped up after your first lease term expires? Wondering if I should start looking for a new place if they're going to keep doing this.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Manslaughter posted:

How common is it for your rent to get bumped up after your first lease term expires? Wondering if I should start looking for a new place if they're going to keep doing this.

Very. Part of it is them attempting to eek more money out of you, but you also have to realize that rising property tax and inflation is a factor as well. One of the ways municipalities keep this in check is through rent control laws, but you'll generally only find those in major cities.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

psydude posted:

Very. Part of it is them attempting to eek more money out of you, but you also have to realize that rising property tax and inflation is a factor as well. One of the ways municipalities keep this in check is through rent control laws, but you'll generally only find those in major cities.

I usually see people's rent increase by about $200-$300 after a year. That's a 10%-20% increase, which is obviously not simply inflation. It is very much standard practice, however, and you should count yourself lucky if your rent manages to remain stable.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Around here, 3-6% or so relatively normal. In other words, $30-$60 a month on a $1000 rent. Sometimes you see more, but generally it stays low, and within the bounds of inflation, rising property taxes, and insurance.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Drunk Tomato posted:

I usually see people's rent increase by about $200-$300 after a year. That's a 10%-20% increase, which is obviously not simply inflation. It is very much standard practice, however, and you should count yourself lucky if your rent manages to remain stable.

drat, where do you live? That's a pretty sharp increase.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Manslaughter posted:

Depends on local market conditions. Your monthly payment might also go up sharply if you had any kind of lease incentive like sign a 13 month lease get 1 month free or something like that. The last apartment I rented my monthly rent jumped 170 bucks or so once my lease incentive ran out plus they added a month to month fee ($50.00) since I didn't renew and chose to go month to month.

If they're at capacity and have people waiting to move in, they can raise the rent almost as much as they want. A 3 to 5% increase every year is pretty normal though.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
What's a really sticky, strong tape? I'm shipping 1"x1"x1" boxes full of books cross country and I don't want the flaps to come undone.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Honestly if the boxes are well packed (as in, everything is snug so you won't have four pounds of books crashing from side to side) most tape should be fine. If you are concerned about it, you can buy some reinforced strapping tape. In addition to just being good tape it has fibers running through it, I've never had it fail on anything.

If you are really really concerned, use some speed tape.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Oh good, the strapping tape is what I was using. It felt kind of not sticky enough, but what the hell do I know. Thanks!

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

So, one of my friend's is looking for a roommate, and I would love to move in because the location is ideal. However, he works for the apartment complex and, in exchange, they shave off $630 of his rent. He does not get paid actual money, just free housing.

If I were to live with him in a 2 BR apartment, the total rent would be ~830 - 850. Subtract his $630 housing compensation and I'm left to pay $200 - $220. However, he'd like me to pay $415 - $425 every month, one payment of $200 - $220 to the complex, and then the rest to him since he's technically "paying" $630 in rent.

His compensation basically nullifies two-thirds of the rent, so I can see why I should pay him a difference. But I'm greedy and would like to pay less. The fact that I'm having trouble justifying why tells me I should just pony up the $415, but I'd like to hear input because this is a unique situation for me.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You need to pay your half.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

Donald Kimball posted:

So, one of my friend's is looking for a roommate, and I would love to move in because the location is ideal. However, he works for the apartment complex and, in exchange, they shave off $630 of his rent. He does not get paid actual money, just free housing.

If I were to live with him in a 2 BR apartment, the total rent would be ~830 - 850. Subtract his $630 housing compensation and I'm left to pay $200 - $220. However, he'd like me to pay $415 - $425 every month, one payment of $200 - $220 to the complex, and then the rest to him since he's technically "paying" $630 in rent.

His compensation basically nullifies two-thirds of the rent, so I can see why I should pay him a difference. But I'm greedy and would like to pay less. The fact that I'm having trouble justifying why tells me I should just pony up the $415, but I'd like to hear input because this is a unique situation for me.

Your roommate makes $630 a month. It just so happens that the apartment complex keeps the whole paycheck. You should be paying 1/2 the original rent for the apartment. He is looking for a roommate to offset half of that amount, not to give you part of his paycheck.

Low Carb Bread
Sep 6, 2007

nvm

Low Carb Bread fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 4, 2012

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm interested to know what things should be done and will be needed when renting in Australia. Specifically Perth.

I'm from New Zealand so I imagine most things will be fairly similar to here but just thought there could be some key differences that are worth knowing.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
My parents have some stuff in storage they said I could have, and I found this coffee table that's pretty nice; but a lot of scratches on the top surface.

http://imgur.com/ZduHQ

Is this thing repairable for a cheap price, and how? I have no wood working experience whats so ever. How much should I expect to pay someone to fix those scratches?

It's a nice solid table and 2 end tables, the end tables are much less damaged; so I would like to use it, but if its too much, I could get a cheaper, less damaged one on craiglist for 50 bucks or somethin.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Low Carb Bread posted:

Cross posted from small questions megathread:

Is anyone familiar with Himolla furniture? Particularly their Zerostress line?

The chairs they have are pretty incredible. Most comfortable chair I ever sat in, though very expensive (~$1,800 for a recliner).

I figured European posters might have more insight into this as the Himolla line is much more common there. Right now, there are only 2? US distributers.

There are made in China knockoffs of the same chair available on Amazon in the range of $200 to $400ish but many of them have had negative reviews or other problems. While $1,800 is steep, I do want to buy something high quality that will last me a long time. Not something with paper thin leather, low grade ball bearings that will fall apart, etc.

They look like ekornes stressless recliners, which are super comfy.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Femur posted:

My parents have some stuff in storage they said I could have, and I found this coffee table that's pretty nice; but a lot of scratches on the top surface.

http://imgur.com/ZduHQ

Is this thing repairable for a cheap price, and how? I have no wood working experience whats so ever. How much should I expect to pay someone to fix those scratches?

It's a nice solid table and 2 end tables, the end tables are much less damaged; so I would like to use it, but if its too much, I could get a cheaper, less damaged one on craiglist for 50 bucks or somethin.

You could probably sand it down and restain it if you really like it, I don't know that I'd go to the effort though.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

AuntBuck posted:

You could probably sand it down and restain it if you really like it, I don't know that I'd go to the effort though.

I have a lot of free time at the moment, but if this requires expensive tools and equipment I need to buy, then it's not worth it.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Femur posted:

I have a lot of free time at the moment, but if this requires expensive tools and equipment I need to buy, then it's not worth it.
Sanders aren't all that expensive ($60-ish + sand paper), but if it's just for the one table, I'd just make some sanding blocks. Get some square of scrap wood (like a 4in section of 2x4 and staple/tack/nail a section of sandpaper to it. Make one that's rough (120 grit, I'd say), and then one that's medium (280-320), and then a super fine one (400-600). Sand trim and stuff with loose sandpaper. The blocks really help make hand sanding of large flat surfaces easy. Once it's all smooth, stain it to match the non-damaged areas. This shouldn't cost you much.

Dabbo
Aug 20, 2010
Is there any good websites or books on like, the very basics of living on your own or something? Basically since moving in with the BF I'm kind of amazed by how little he knows about basic adult stuff and I'm kind of amazed he's gone this long without sny problems.

Like, I asked him to do the laundry, "just some shirts, I already put them in a pile just set it to this setting then hang them up in the sun." He shoved every last bit of dirty laundry into the washer and used so much detergent the shirts were still a bit soapy. He started putting it all in the dryer when I got home and lost my poo poo (he ruined my favorite knitted sweater :qq: ). Turns out he's literally never done a load of laundry in his life and thought he was being more efficient by filling the washer up completely!

He also doesn't know anything about cooking, I had to walk him step by step through making a grilled cheese sandwich and he literally thought I was a loving genius for being able to make biscuits from scratch. Like he was seriously saying I should go to culinary school and get into professional baking, making some quick and lovely biscuits was that sensational to him. This is how basic a guide I'm talking.

I mean, I have no problem helping him with stuff and he knows how to use google. It would just be real nice to have a specific site or book he could flip through so he can feel less lost in general.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Dabbo posted:

Is there any good websites or books on like, the very basics of living on your own or something? Basically since moving in with the BF I'm kind of amazed by how little he knows about basic adult stuff and I'm kind of amazed he's gone this long without sny problems.

Like, I asked him to do the laundry, "just some shirts, I already put them in a pile just set it to this setting then hang them up in the sun." He shoved every last bit of dirty laundry into the washer and used so much detergent the shirts were still a bit soapy. He started putting it all in the dryer when I got home and lost my poo poo (he ruined my favorite knitted sweater :qq: ). Turns out he's literally never done a load of laundry in his life and thought he was being more efficient by filling the washer up completely!

He also doesn't know anything about cooking, I had to walk him step by step through making a grilled cheese sandwich and he literally thought I was a loving genius for being able to make biscuits from scratch. Like he was seriously saying I should go to culinary school and get into professional baking, making some quick and lovely biscuits was that sensational to him. This is how basic a guide I'm talking.

I mean, I have no problem helping him with stuff and he knows how to use google. It would just be real nice to have a specific site or book he could flip through so he can feel less lost in general.

My little brother used to pull this crap all the time and it's not because he can't do it, it's because he wants you to do it for him. I'm a little suspicious.

Him: "What? Mopping the floor involves mopping the water back up?"

Me: "That's right, clean it again."

Dabbo
Aug 20, 2010

AuntBuck posted:

My little brother used to pull this crap all the time and it's not because he can't do it, it's because he wants you to do it for him. I'm a little suspicious.

Him: "What? Mopping the floor involves mopping the water back up?"

Me: "That's right, clean it again."

I thought the same thing at first, but he actually is pretty desperate to be more helpful and do chores around the apartment. after the thing with the laundry he went out of his way to find and print out a guide and has been doing all of the laundry properly ever since. It's just that simple little things keep coming up he's seriously never had to do in his life and I can't be there to show him how every time.

Without going into too much detail it's not completely his fault. Like, his Mom insisted on cooking every single meal for the 21 years he lived there because she has paranoid schizophrenia and was convinced that he would poison all the food if he stepped anywhere near the kitchen. I mean it's still mindblowing sometimes, but I guess I didn't realize how much we depend on our parents teaching and letting us try stuff.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Dabbo posted:

I thought the same thing at first, but he actually is pretty desperate to be more helpful and do chores around the apartment. after the thing with the laundry he went out of his way to find and print out a guide and has been doing all of the laundry properly ever since. It's just that simple little things keep coming up he's seriously never had to do in his life and I can't be there to show him how every time.

Without going into too much detail it's not completely his fault. Like, his Mom insisted on cooking every single meal for the 21 years he lived there because she has paranoid schizophrenia and was convinced that he would poison all the food if he stepped anywhere near the kitchen. I mean it's still mindblowing sometimes, but I guess I didn't realize how much we depend on our parents teaching and letting us try stuff.

That makes sense. It's nice that he wants to help. I was looking for something more fun, but About.com has some nice articles on the basics.

http://homecooking.about.com/od/foodreference/How_to_Cook.htm
http://housekeeping.about.com/od/productreviews/a/cleaningsupply.htm
http://housekeeping.about.com/

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Dabbo posted:

Are you dating me?

In all seriousness I was the same way when I first moved in (well, not the poison part) with my wife and I knew how to do jack poo poo. Basically it's a pain in the rear end but give him incredibly explicit instructions when doing poo poo. Like, imagine he moved here from Africa and he's never seen a dishwasher or washing machine. And if you're around try to double check his poo poo. He'll get the hang of it, just make sure he's DOING it, not just you showing him.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Dabbo posted:

About.com and wikihow are good starts. There are also loads of books designed for men who have just moved out of their parents' house and don't know how to do anything mommy did. Here's an example. Apparently it also has a companion. I do not know if it's any good and there's a strong chance that it's dated, but it should give you some tags and such to look for similar ones.

For cooking specifically, look into How to Cook Everything: The Basics by Mark Bittman. I haven't seen it yet but I have HtCE & HtCE: Vegetarian and they're both good.

Things he might need to know too:
- Where stuff is in the grocery store, how to read the sale labels
- Which dishes should be washed by hand and not by dishwasher
- Cutting stuff up
- Boiling, frying, scrambling eggs - basic & easy ways to feed himself
- Steaming vegetables
- Cleaning: what to use to clean different surfaces, e.g. windows vs. wood vs. the toilet. What needs to be cleaned and how often. How to sweep a floor (I'm really assuming he's an alien, here).
- How to pre-treat stains
- What to do for a cut, burn, etc.

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB
I'm in Massachusetts. I signed a year-long lease starting this June, and today I got this email from the broker:

quote:

Hey guys,

So today the owner of your future apartment contacted me and let me know he is having issues with the current tenant, and the current tenant may have issues moving out by June 1st. The owner plans to meet with a mediator next week to work out a time frame for the current tenant to vacate the apartment. The owner understands this is a big inconvenience for you guys and has offered to pay for storage and other costs that may arise from this hassle. He also has temporary housing in the area that you guys can live in if you choose to. We should know in the next week what the time frame is for the current tenant to leave. I'm really sorry about this, and will let you know as soon as I have more information. Talk to you soon,

Anybody know what my rights are? Is the owner required to provide temporary housing or is he doing me a favor? Is there anything else I'm entitled to by law?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Large Hardon Collider posted:

I'm in Massachusetts. I signed a year-long lease starting this June, and today I got this email from the broker:

Anybody know what my rights are? Is the owner required to provide temporary housing or is he doing me a favor? Is there anything else I'm entitled to by law?

Probably varies state to state, but typically the owner would simply be responsible for vacating your lease and returning your security deposit. It sounds like he's going above and beyond. Holdover tenants can be a pain in the rear end.

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Probably varies state to state, but typically the owner would simply be responsible for vacating your lease and returning your security deposit. It sounds like he's going above and beyond. Holdover tenants can be a pain in the rear end.
Thanks! What do you mean by "vacating my lease"?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thanks! What do you mean by "vacating my lease"?

Voiding the contract. Since he couldn't deliver on his end, basically the contract (lease) gets torn up.

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Voiding the contract. Since he couldn't deliver on his end, basically the contract (lease) gets torn up.
I was afraid of that. I'll speak with a lawyer about my options. Thank you.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I was afraid of that. I'll speak with a lawyer about my options. Thank you.

You recourse against the landlord is going to be limited unless you can somehow prove that he knowingly rented you a unit he couldn't deliver. Again, there may be specific state laws that provide other remedies, so talking to a lawyer couldn't hurt if you're not happy with the arrangement he offered.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Dabbo posted:

In addition to what others have said (getting basic instructions at places like About.com and covering the basics of household maintenance), please teach him about kitchen safety. I recommend this based on firsthand experience with my oblivious inept housemate.

Story time: Housemate was following a recipe pan frying something. Recipe said to put a bit of oil in a skillet and warm it, so he interprets this as fill the skillet with oil (like, 1/3" deep puddle), turn electric stove to high, go watch TV. Then, house fills with smoke and smoke alarm goes off because the skillet is now a blazing inferno. Instead of getting a lid and choking the fire right away, he proceeds to turn on the stove fan and open the windows because it was smokey (hey lets give the fire free oxygen!). Even though the fire was still spewing smoke. Then he gets some hot mitts and carries the blazing skillet across the room and out the door, where he puts it outside to let it burn out on its own. At least he didn't put water on it.. Yeah, the rest of us weren't home to push him aside and properly put it out. Taught him that he didn't need to be cooking with such retarded amounts of oil afterwards.

I'm hoping your boyfriend isn't THAT devoid of common sense, but it wouldn't hurt to cover stuff like putting out an oil fire and other common kitchen/household crises.

PS: Skillet is fine. It's cast iron and therefore indestructible, so after some Scotch Brite and bacon, it was all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I just got a job offer in Waco, TX. Now I have to orchestrate a move from Virginia to Texas :suicide: I'm planning on flying back to Waco sometime soon to do apartment hunting, how many days should I allocate to do that?

Also, pets: better to leave them with a petsitter while moving and get them later, or move them with the rest of my stuff?