Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SlightlyMadman posted:

I've got like a $5,000 deductible on my insurance so I'm not going to the hospital without good reason. If I had a concussion I can't imagine I'd have been able to ride home, or make it into work, right?
Wrong. Go get checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
I'm fairly sure that a headache and nausea after a hit to the head are classic signs of concussion, dude.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

SlightlyMadman posted:

I've got like a $5,000 deductible on my insurance so I'm not going to the hospital without good reason. If I had a concussion I can't imagine I'd have been able to ride home, or make it into work, right?

Don't go to the ER - go to a walk in clinic. They will be able to check you out for far less money and they will make the call whether you need a scan. Don't be stupid and die in your sleep.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I appreciate the concern, but I think I'm in the clear. It's been two hours and I found a few checklists that mostly just say to monitor people showing those symptoms for 30 minutes, which I imagine is all the hospital would do anyway. They also mostly have to do with disorientation and memory loss which I don't have. I'm not going to go to sleep or anything but I have work to do and certainly can't afford an emergency room visit.

I forgot to mention the worst part of the whole thing, was when I pulled the bike out of the intersection, some guy slowed down his car to point and laugh, then sped off.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

You are very wrong regarding the fact that you're ok. I'm sorry but I am a ski patroller and deal with people who smack their heads all the time. Until you are evaluated by a doctor you have no way of objectively evaluating yourself. You could also have a bleed that you haven't detected (because you can't on yourself) and you basically could be at a huge risk of dying. DYING. I.E. you stop living - go to a walk in clinic - I guarantee it will be less than the cost of a new Shoei helmet.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

SlightlyMadman posted:

Maybe, maybe not. Did you lose consciousness, even for a second? The fact that you were experiencing nausea makes me think it was a mild concussion. Read this, and see if you agree: http://www.webmd.com/brain/concussion-traumatic-brain-injury-symptoms-causes-treatments

I am not a doctor, but at the very least I would advise you not take any aspirin, as that makes bleeding worse (Advil and Tylenol are probably okay). A concussion is a traumatic brain injury, so make sure you're not feeling dazed or groggy. If you know any M-F transsexuals, see if you can get them to give you some progesterone (I'm kidding, of course, but progesterone has been shown to help in reducing the affects of TBI).

If you can go to like a walk-in clinic in a CVS or Walgreens or something, they'll be able to check your pupil dilation and screen you for symptoms, and that shouldn't cost very much. You're in charge of you, and ultimately it's your decision whether to go to the hospital or not.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

n8r posted:

You are very wrong regarding the fact that you're ok. I'm sorry but I am a ski patroller and deal with people who smack their heads all the time. Until you are evaluated by a doctor you have no way of objectively evaluating yourself. You could also have a bleed that you haven't detected (because you can't on yourself) and you basically could be at a huge risk of dying. DYING. I.E. you stop living - go to a walk in clinic - I guarantee it will be less than the cost of a new Shoei helmet.

Even if I do have a concussion, what are they going to do? Say "you have a concussion, don't fall asleep for a few hours?" Everything I'm reading says there's no real treatment except observation anyway. What exactly is it that the clinic is going to do to help?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

You definitely have a concussion - you could have a bleed in your brain that's what they are primarily concerned about. If you do they have a number of treatments they can do to save your life.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

SlightlyMadman posted:

Even if I do have a concussion, what are they going to do? Say "you have a concussion, don't fall asleep for a few hours?" Everything I'm reading says there's no real treatment except observation anyway. What exactly is it that the clinic is going to do to help?

Mild concussion -> "Don't fall asleep for a few hours. If you have a seizure, call me."

Severe concussion -> "Let's get you in the MRI to see if you have a brain bleed. You might not be able to tell if you have a brain bleed or not until you keel over dead a few hours later."

A trained clinician is in a better position to tell which is which than a couple of Internet doctor wannabees.

Edit: vvvvv I stand corrected.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 1, 2012

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

You can start a brain bleed with even a very minor concussion.

Edit: I dealt with a kid this year who had a knock to the head but was pretty much completely with it. But, because his pupils were uneven he took an ambulance ride and got a scan. Had another guy who took a far larger / harder hit and was a bit goofy. The doc evaluated him and decided he was OK to go home and have someone just watch him. So...... yah this is dumb - you need to see a medical professional.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

My headache is gone already and I just checked that my pupils are the same size. Basically the only symptom I have on the checklists I've found (which are all the clinic workers would use anyway) is nausea. I just managed to eat a handful of almost so it's not even that bad. If it hasn't gone away by lunch time though, I'll drive out to a clinic, but the nearest one that's not a hospital is like half an hour away so that'll mean I have to take the rest of the day off work and I'd rather avoid it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

SlightlyMadman posted:

My headache is gone already and I just checked that my pupils are the same size. Basically the only symptom I have on the checklists I've found (which are all the clinic workers would use anyway) is nausea. I just managed to eat a handful of almost so it's not even that bad. If it hasn't gone away by lunch time though, I'll drive out to a clinic, but the nearest one that's not a hospital is like half an hour away so that'll mean I have to take the rest of the day off work and I'd rather avoid it.

Fair enough. You have the final say in what you do. Maybe consider a lower deductible next time health insurance enrollment comes around. I had to have a bunch of dental work done this year, and my high deductible there raped me. You never know when some bullshit like this is going to come up and bite you in the rear end.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I definitely appreciate the concern, and the first thing I did when I got home was asked my girlfriend if I was acting strange, and she also knew to check to make sure I didn't have any memory lapses. Everything I'm reading says standard practice is to only bother with a CT or MRI if symptoms are persisting or worsening, or if there was memory loss or loss of consciousness, so I really feel like it would be a waste of time and money to go to the clinic now when I'm perfectly fine. If the nausea persists I may reconsider, but I think that's just as easily attributed to stress from the crash for now.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

SlightlyMadman posted:

You can't check your pupils yourself dummy.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

n8r posted:

You can't check your pupils yourself dummy.

Here you go, doctor n8r:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

You don't check pupils by just looking at them... This is getting somewhat comical if it wasn't kinda sad.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Remind me where you got your medical degree?

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
I highly recommend you re-evaluate your health plan the next chance you get. This is one of those seemingly trivial things that nobody tells you about when you start riding but having poor or no insurance can gently caress you over financially even if it's something seemingly minor. An ER visit, a cat scan, some drugs and a little treatment, a couple days in the hospital and you're possibly looking at 10k+ already.

I know this isn't always realistic because this is America and everything here is horrible and bad but do whatever you can. You probably have an HDHP or godforbid an HMO but accidents are serious business and the next time you might not have a choice whether you go to the hospital.

e: doesn't your insurance cover eyebrow waxes jesus

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

SlightlyMadman posted:

I basically am an EMT (the national ski patrol version of it) and have been doing it for 16+ years. I do not do the actual evaluations on people that hit their heads, I just drop them off to the doctors that do. A doctor will use a pen light and do quite a bit to see if your pupils are acting normally. They will also use specific questioning methods to make sure all parts of your brain are functioning normally. You have a very low chance that anything is seriously wrong, but the chance is not insignificant.

The doctor will also educate you on how long you should avoid activities where you could hit your head again.

With that said I'm out of this discussion, I've stated why you should seek medical help and that's all I can do. Good luck!

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Synonamess Botch posted:

I highly recommend you re-evaluate your health plan the next chance you get. This is one of those seemingly trivial things that nobody tells you about when you start riding but having poor or no insurance can gently caress you over financially even if it's something seemingly minor. An ER visit, a cat scan, some drugs and a little treatment, a couple days in the hospital and you're possibly looking at 10k+ already.

I know this isn't always realistic because this is America and everything here is horrible and bad but do whatever you can. You probably have an HDHP or godforbid an HMO but accidents are serious business and the next time you might not have a choice whether you go to the hospital.

e: doesn't your insurance cover eyebrow waxes jesus

Yeah, it stinks because I had awful insurance at my last job, and one of the reasons I quit and came here is because they had a great insurance plan. Then after I'd been working here 6 months they dropped the insurance and gave us all an HMO with a savings account.

LarryCsonka
Nov 7, 2006
Oooh, I don't go map-finding-behinding

SlightlyMadman posted:

Is your disposition always this bad? If not it's another sign of head trauma

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

LarryCsonka posted:

Is your disposition always this bad? If not it's another sign of head trauma

Yeah I'm kind of a dick, and I don't appreciate somebody trying to internet doctor me into spending thousands of dollars that I don't need to.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

They should really just open-source basic diagnostic techniques, particularly those used to determine problem severity. I'm sure it would be no trouble to have a friend with a diagnostic flowchart (a la fault finding diagram for charging systems) or computerized expert system shine a light in your eyes and ask a series of specific questions.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

This is the first time the thread has been this goony. It's like going to e/n without all the weird!

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

SlightlyMadman posted:

Yeah I'm kind of a dick, and I don't appreciate somebody trying to internet doctor me into spending thousands of dollars that I don't need to.

Going to a walk-in clinic will not cost you thousands of dollars. And just because you don't want to go and just because you don't want to spend the money doesn't make the dude that's trying to help you an rear end in a top hat. You're an rear end in a top hat, there are more tactful ways of listening to someone's (very much correct) advice and doing your own thing.

Head trauma is very serious. I'm sure you're fine and don't need to spend the money. I just had a motorcycle accident and although I declined EMT and emergency care, I went to my primary care doctor. At the same time, I din't hit my head at all.

As an aside, anyone that doesn't have medical insurance or can't afford to actually use their medical insurance should not be riding motorcycles. I know that can kind of come off a little dickish but it's the could hard truth.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Thank you, I appreciate the advice.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
^-- the truth, that health insurance biz

Now, learn to start buying $100-200 helmets instead of those Shoei's. Presto, you'd then have money to afford medical expenses. I was in a 45 mph impact with a pick up truck that resulted in me slamming my head into the sidewall of the truck bed. I was wearing my $120 Scorpion EXO-700, and checked out without any head injuries.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 1, 2012

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

front wing flexing posted:

Going to a walk-in clinic will not cost you thousands of dollars. And just because you don't want to go and just because you don't want to spend the money doesn't make the dude that's trying to help you an rear end in a top hat. You're an rear end in a top hat, there are more tactful ways of listening to someone's (very much correct) advice and doing your own thing.

Head trauma is very serious. I'm sure you're fine and don't need to spend the money. I just had a motorcycle accident and although I declined EMT and emergency care, I went to my primary care doctor. At the same time, I din't hit my head at all.

As an aside, anyone that doesn't have medical insurance or can't afford to actually use their medical insurance should not be riding motorcycles. I know that can kind of come off a little dickish but it's the could hard truth.

In my accident a few years ago I did hit my head and declined EMT care on the scene, spoke to the responding officer and people who came out to help and sounded completely lucid... and then once they all left I called my parents and couldn't tell them where I was (4 blocks from my apartment), how to get to me, or what really happened. And when they found me (made me read street signs to tell them where I was) my mom asked me for my ABCs - I checked my pockets and told her I couldn't find them. And I don't remember any of this!

They took me to the ER where they scanned my head and I was ultimately fine, but head injuries are not a trifling matter.

SlightlyMadman do what you want to do but this isn't "oh I wonder if I have the flu" or "oh my toe might be broken." This is your brain.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Thank you, I appreciate the concern, but I am suffering zero symptoms at this point, and have spoken with a Registered Nurse about it who gave me her qualified opinion that all a hospital would do is give me an expensive scan I don't need. I apologize for being an rear end in a top hat to everybody, I was a little stressed out because of the crash, but I do appreciate that everyone is trying to help.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

SlightlyMadman posted:

Thank you, I appreciate the concern, but I am suffering zero symptoms at this point, and have spoken with a Registered Nurse about it who gave me her qualified opinion that all a hospital would do is give me an expensive scan I don't need. I apologize for being an rear end in a top hat to everybody, I was a little stressed out because of the crash, but I do appreciate that everyone is trying to help.

I hope you continue to recover well, and I hope your forks aren't bent. Road plates are bastards in the rain.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Also, just because you have health insurance doesn't mean you need to use it (and pay OOP for inflated insurer-oriented rates). In the future, you can go to a clinic, say you need to pay cash, and negotiate before they render services. If you have an HSA, you can draw cash from the account and do the same.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

There is no reason anyone is going to send you in for a scan if you don't present any symptoms that would require one. The odds are very good that the doc is going to check you out and send you home with an office visit bill.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST

SlightlyMadman posted:

Where the hell did you get yours, Dr. Wikipedia? Everything n8r said is bang on - there's a reason that's standard operating procedure after head trauma.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Back when I was in Jerusalem, my virgin rear end was riding and had a slight fall when some wise-rear end failed at pulling out in front of me. Ended up with a bit of headache and decided to sleep it off (bad idea).

Woke up in the morning pregnant with a lich.

Them's the breaks, I guess.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

sigtrap posted:

Where the hell did you get yours, Dr. Wikipedia? Everything n8r said is bang on - there's a reason that's standard operating procedure after head trauma.

I spoke to an RN.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Xovaan posted:

Back when I was in Jerusalem, my virgin rear end was riding and had a slight fall when some wise-rear end failed at pulling out in front of me. Ended up with a bit of headache and decided to sleep it off (bad idea).

Woke up in the morning pregnant with a lich.

Them's the breaks, I guess.

Virgin gets pregnant in Jerusalem with an undead manifestation of a powerful creature? Where have I heard that story before...

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

the walkin dude posted:

Now, learn to start buying $100-200 helmets instead of those Shoei's. Presto, you'd then have money to afford medical expenses. I was in a 45 mph impact with a pick up truck that resulted in me slamming my head into the sidewall of the truck bed. I was wearing my $120 Scorpion EXO-700, and checked out without any head injuries.
I'm saving up to buy gear for when I finally get a bike, and I'm looking at Shoei for a helmet. Should I really just get a cheaper one? I figured head protection is the one thing I really shouldn't skimp on...but is Shoei just overpriced or are they really that good?

e: Planning on getting either the Neotec or Multitec if it matters.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Jose Pointero posted:

I'm saving up to buy gear for when I finally get a bike, and I'm looking at Shoei for a helmet. Should I really just get a cheaper one? I figured head protection is the one thing I really shouldn't skimp on...but is Shoei just overpriced or are they really that good?

Go somewhere where you can see a few different brands and give them a try. Pretty much any helmet is going to protect your dome. The differences in price come with the quality of the visor/vents/other accessories and fit.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Jose Pointero posted:

When it comes to helmets, assuming it's been accredited by whatever your country has for safety standards, more expensive just means more comfortable.

To my mind comfortable gear is also safer because a comfortable rider is a rider who can concentrate fully on the road. You might be lucky and find that one of the cheaper manufacturers fits your head best, or you might be like me and find every helmet other than Shoei fits like it was made to break the Geneva convention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

nsaP posted:

Go somewhere where you can see a few different brands and give them a try. Pretty much any helmet is going to protect your dome. The differences in price come with the quality of the visor/vents/other accessories and fit.

This. My Scorpion is pretty good in general - snug, comfy. But its venting is not that great (I can't feel anything coming in with my "vents" open) and my visor pops open a bit when I look to my sides at highway speeds. For me, safety & cost is more key than higher-quality hinge/visor/venting components. At least Scorpion does make cool designs.

From what I understand, Shoei's are lighter and have more R&D behind them. They produce helmets with more up-to-date safety design standards, while Scorpion's EXO-700 is based on 2005 standards. I dunno about their newer helmets though (EXO-700 is now phased out). Shoei is a Japanese company while Scorpion is based out of the American West.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 1, 2012

• Locked thread