Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN

Powershift posted:

I'm beginning to suspect that general motors is only willing to put forth the minimum level of effort required to survive as a car company.

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

rscott posted:

Well now that I've been appropriately schooled on Zeta platform cars, I won't make that mistake again. Thanks! (not being a dick or anything)

Interior is also quite different from the Holden.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 1, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

rscott posted:

Well now that I've been appropriately schooled on Zeta platform cars, I won't make that mistake again. Thanks! (not being a dick or anything)

Sorry if I came off aggressively. Certainly didn't mean it that way. I have a strange fascination with Australian cars because they represent the potential evolutionary outcome of the traditional big American car if that line hadn't been killed off in the 80s. Also, the forbidden fruit angle, since all most Aussies do is complain about them as cars for fleets and rednecks.

I also test drove a G8 once and liked it, but didn't end up buying it and now it's dead, too.

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

Pricing on the Focus ST has been announced, $24,495 base (incl dest).

http://jalopnik.com/5906471/the-ford-focus-st-will-cost-24495

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

discstickers posted:

Pricing on the Focus ST has been announced, $24,495 base (incl dest).

http://jalopnik.com/5906471/the-ford-focus-st-will-cost-24495

Does anyone know how the overboost function will work? From what I understand you get 15 seconds of extra boost when you push it. How are those dyno numbers going to look?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

kronix posted:

Does anyone know how the overboost function will work? From what I understand you get 15 seconds of extra boost when you push it. How are those dyno numbers going to look?

I don't know, but I'd sure as hell rewire it as a toggle switch rather than a button.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Cream_Filling posted:

Sorry if I came off aggressively. Certainly didn't mean it that way. I have a strange fascination with Australian cars because they represent the potential evolutionary outcome of the traditional big American car if that line hadn't been killed off in the 80s. Also, the forbidden fruit angle, since all most Aussies do is complain about them as cars for fleets and rednecks.

I also test drove a G8 once and liked it, but didn't end up buying it and now it's dead, too.

Nah its all cool.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Holy poo poo an actual Cruis'n USA button.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

I don't know, but I'd sure as hell rewire it as a toggle switch rather than a button.

It's not actually a button I just worded it terribly. I meant to say you get 15 seconds of extra boost when you floor it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Oh man I really want a Focus ST. I'd have to drive it though. I wonder how the back seat would be... I'd have to put a couple baby seats back there. Would I get extra AI cred for buying the Recaro baby seats?

Anyone know the estimated MPG on highway is on that car? I have a bitch of a commute and put 600 miles a week on my car. My current Fusion Sport gets about 19city/25Hwy/22 mixed and I'm really hoping to find something 30+MPG.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

skipdogg posted:

Oh man I really want a Focus ST. I'd have to drive it though. I wonder how the back seat would be... I'd have to put a couple baby seats back there. Would I get extra AI cred for buying the Recaro baby seats?

Anyone know the estimated MPG on highway is on that car? I have a bitch of a commute and put 600 miles a week on my car. My current Fusion Sport gets about 19city/25Hwy/22 mixed and I'm really hoping to find something 30+MPG.

I think the regular Focus gets up to 40mpg highway, so the ST would be somewhere between 30 and 40 I would imagine.

baby seats can easily fit in the back of a Fiesta, they should have room to spare in the back of a Focus.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The 1.6l 180hp Ecoboost is supposed to get like 47mpg by the EU numbers, but the ST has a shitload more power so who knows... roughly I'd go with CornHolio's estimate, it could probably get pretty good mileage when staying out of boost.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CornHolio posted:

I think the regular Focus gets up to 40mpg highway, so the ST would be somewhere between 30 and 40 I would imagine.

I get 33 highway MPG in my Mustang V6, and around 26 in the city, even with the 3.73 axle ratio, so I would hope the Focus ST can get similar or better numbers. If you drive conservatively, I'd say 40 MPG highway could conceivably happen.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Keep in mind that the ST shown there is the 5-door, and last I checked, the 5-door topped out at 38 hwy mpg. I expect this 250+ horsepower version to barely tick above 30.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Keep in mind that the ST shown there is the 5-door, and last I checked, the 5-door topped out at 38 hwy mpg. I expect this 250+ horsepower version to barely tick above 30.

It better hit significantly above 30, because if the same engine in a Fusion can't get the 22/33 a turbo Optima does with more power, then I need to go buy a new car before summer hits so I can have A/C. I mean this is a lot more hp than the base Focus, but the EPA tests don't really hammer the throttle anyway, right?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
$25,000 USD. Car prices amaze me in the US. Over here in Australia, it will probably be north of $40,000 when released.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Apparently it is going to be ineligable for X plan pricing. Do we have any Ford employees in here that can check A plan pricing and eligability?

Nevermind found what i was looking for. No AXZ pricing at all
https://www.myplan.ford.com/myplanweb/pdf/IneligibleProducts.pdf

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 1, 2012

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm going to buy a Focus ST, I think. I said it years ago when Ford never brought it over and now they have and it's within my budget without much hassle.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

I'm going to buy a Focus ST, I think. I said it years ago when Ford never brought it over and now they have and it's within my budget without much hassle.

All I ever wanted was a Focus RS, the ST is a nice step but I'm holding out hope that they'll do a full on, balls out RS.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rhyno posted:

All I ever wanted was a Focus RS, the ST is a nice step but I'm holding out hope that they'll do a full on, balls out RS.

If they released the RS500 or something comparable here I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Sadly, I bet the ST is as close as we'll ever get.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

davebo posted:

It better hit significantly above 30, because if the same engine in a Fusion can't get the 22/33 a turbo Optima does with more power, then I need to go buy a new car before summer hits so I can have A/C. I mean this is a lot more hp than the base Focus, but the EPA tests don't really hammer the throttle anyway, right?

Not sure how much it matters, but the Focus sedan has a .30 Drag coeff. and the Optima has a .26

I can't find a number for the 5-door Focus.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Not sure how much it matters, but the Focus sedan has a .30 Drag coeff. and the Optima has a .26

I can't find a number for the 5-door Focus.

cd doesn't matter unless you know the frontal area, though.

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

I'm emailing dealerships to get offers, some people are apparently getting under MSRP. One guy asked me what I wanted to pay, :wtf:.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

PT6A posted:

I get 33 highway MPG in my Mustang V6, and around 26 in the city, even with the 3.73 axle ratio, so I would hope the Focus ST can get similar or better numbers. If you drive conservatively, I'd say 40 MPG highway could conceivably happen.

Why would you think that? Are there any turbocharged compacts on the market right now that do that?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Faceless Clock posted:

Why would you think that? Are there any turbocharged compacts on the market right now that do that?

I'm not sure, but the Focus is lighter and less powerful than the Mustang V6. If it can't get a slight fuel economy improvement (I can manage 6 L/100km driving very conservatively on the highway, not that I frequently do) then it's quite poorly engineered indeed. Why shouldn't it achieve that sort of fuel economy?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

PT6A posted:

I'm not sure, but the Focus is lighter and less powerful than the Mustang V6. If it can't get a slight fuel economy improvement (I can manage 6 L/100km driving very conservatively on the highway, not that I frequently do) then it's quite poorly engineered indeed. Why shouldn't it achieve that sort of fuel economy?

Right now only the special "eco" models of the Cruze and Focus, and the Elantra are rated 40 on the highway, with much less power than this hot Focus, so for it to also get 40 would be extraordinary.

OTOH the new Shelby gained a couple of MPG in fuel economy while also adding like 100hp so anything's possible I guess.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

PT6A posted:

Short gearing, perhaps? I know with my MS3, I can break 30 mpg if I'm doing straight highway driving, with the cruise control set below 70mph (maybe 65).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

PT6A posted:

No doubt it'll have much better around town economy than a Mustang. Not everyone spends the bulk of their time on the open road.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'm sure if you never got into boost and cruised at 60mph in 6th you'd get some decent numbers, but nobody does that so the comparison is worthless

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Bovril Delight posted:

I'm sure if you never got into boost and cruised at 60mph in 6th you'd get some decent numbers, but nobody does that so the comparison is worthless

People don't drive on highways? There are still areas, in both the US and Canada, where the highway speed limit is 55 mph or 90 km/h. 60mph is then a very reasonable cruising speed.

I got the 6 L/100km figure after deciding, as an experiment, to drive the speed limit all the way from the Banff park gates to Revelstoke on the Trans-Canada. Conclusion: good gas mileage, horribly loving boring.

EDIT: And even after re-reading the original question, I can't tell if we're supposed to be talking city or highway mileage.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

PT6A posted:

Because a turbocharger does not equal better fuel economy.

Turbocharging can be used for fuel economy IF you use the turbo to make up for using an engine with relatively small displacement. I.e. a Cruze Eco has a tiny 1.4 liter vs the normal 1.8. The F-150 Ecoboost has a measly 3.5L V6 but makes better power than the 5.0L V8.

But if you just take the same engine, and THEN slap a turbo on it, you will end up with reduced fuel economy. My proof? Um, every turbo 4-cylinder car even produced. It's very rare for them to hit EPA numbers above 30 MPG highway, nevermind close to 40.

Bovril Delight posted:

You've never been to Oregon, have you?

I do agree that it's likely someone will hit mid-30s fuel economy with the Focus ST but I'd be surprised if the EPA rating isn't somewhere around 24 city and 30 highway.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Faceless Clock posted:

My proof? Um, every turbo 4-cylinder car even produced. It's very rare for them to hit EPA numbers above 30 MPG highway, nevermind close to 40.

My old SRT-4 would see 22MPG mixed with a low of 15 in the city really romping on it, and up to 28 or so cruising long flat stretches of highway out of boost.

Bovril Delight posted:

Here in Texas everything is 70 or 75MPH now... and to be honest if you're not doing 80MPH on the big freeways you're going to get run over by a guy in a lifted F-350 or an 18 wheeler. I spend a lot of time on the freeway and I cruise at 80MPH. I wish my 6th gear was a little taller, no reason for my engine to be turning at 2500 RPM @ 80MPH when it could easily do it at 2000 or so and see much better gas mileage.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

skipdogg posted:

My old SRT-4 would see 22MPG mixed with a low of 15 in the city really romping on it, and up to 28 or so cruising long flat stretches of highway out of boost.

Yeah even out of boost turbo engines usually still get worse mileage because they are tuned very very rich to prevent knock. See also: the mazdaspeed 3.

Alphius
Nov 5, 2009
Why would they be tuned rich to prevent knock out of boost? That's where at minimal throttle opening the car would be running in closed-loop and adjusting to a stoichiometric mixture as measured by the oxygen sensor. There should be no appreciable difference between a turbo engine and an identical engine naturally aspirated as long as the turbo engine never goes above atmospheric pressure.

Any difference in mileage between say a real world 2.5 N/A and 2.5 Turbo engine in the same car given equal gearing and driving style should be mostly attributed to usually a lower compression ratio on the turbo engine.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

You might be right, I've forgotten what my SRT A/F ratio was out of boost. I know in boost the ECU dumped crazy amounts of fuel in there. It was common to see A/F ratios in the 9.xx's.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Faceless Clock posted:

But if you just take the same engine, and THEN slap a turbo on it, you will end up with reduced fuel economy. My proof? Um, every turbo 4-cylinder car even produced. It's very rare for them to hit EPA numbers above 30 MPG highway, nevermind close to 40.

Unless you run extremely low boost and keep the same CR. I installed a turbo kit on my '99 Eclipse GS which had 9.6:1 CR and saw a massive increase in gas mileage. I'd usually get around 340-350 miles per tank on the highway stock, and anywhere from 400-420 with the turbo installed. The turbo was large enough that it didn't spool at highyway RPM and load, so I always contributed it to the fact that the engine was no longer working as hard to suck air in, but who knows. (not me, clearly).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cream_Filling posted:

cd doesn't matter unless you know the frontal area, though.

well most cars are of a predictable/knowable frontal area.

Does the ST have Revoknuckle suspension?

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

BoostCreep posted:

Unless you run extremely low boost and keep the same CR. I installed a turbo kit on my '99 Eclipse GS which had 9.6:1 CR and saw a massive increase in gas mileage. I'd usually get around 340-350 miles per tank on the highway stock, and anywhere from 400-420 with the turbo installed. The turbo was large enough that it didn't spool at highyway RPM and load, so I always contributed it to the fact that the engine was no longer working as hard to suck air in, but who knows. (not me, clearly).

No one makes a production car like that.

It's cool that you did that and received an MPG boost but it's not relevant to what we're talking about here, which is production vehicles.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

I don't believe so, but I think it does use a slightly different front end setup to the base models, with some kind of active steering system taking over the torquesteer control duties. If I understand it correctly, they're actually looking to ditch the revoknuckles in favour of this on all models?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

kimbo305 posted:

I'm almost positive the ST does NOT have it like the Euro RS Focus. I remember reading it somewhere on a different forum. There was also some bitching about it not having a true LSD maybe? It uses the brakes or something to compensate? I'll try to dig around and find the info.

edit: found an article

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2011/09/2011-frankfurt-auto-show-more-details-on-2013-ford-focus-st.html

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 2, 2012