Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I got wet. No idea how I did because I didn't even stay for trophies. Apparently I wasn't the only one though since they didn't do them at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km7hq7-1T5A&hd=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koollook124
Jan 15, 2008
Did my first autox sunday, need to work on some car and driver things. Wasnt last but I was close to it of about 25 people here on the upstate ny go kart track. Some pretty cool people around here, some dude had a full fairing rotax racecar there and there was a chumpcar bmw e30. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated including and up to telling me to use a different car. I already know I need to drop my pressure on my all seasons a bit if I'm going to use them, and I need to grow some bigger balls. This was one of my slower laps, sorry for the noise of the camera bashing the windshield. http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=EvNN7Bn857U

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Well this looks awesome and fun, definitely going to see if there are some events coming up this summer around PA in the Allentown area. A quick glance at Google indicates there are several clubs I could go to. If a local goon could point out one they prefer that'd be great!

Is there anyplace with a more detailed explanation of the classes? I found a pdf classing my car as "HS" in the stock category, but it wasn't quite too specific as to what cars are lumped into what class.

IronDoge fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 24, 2012

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ironsights posted:

Well this looks awesome and fun, definitely going to see if there are some events coming up this summer around PA in the Allentown area. A quick glance at Google indicates there are several clubs I could go to. If a local goon could point out one they prefer that'd be great!

Is there anyplace with a more detailed explanation of the classes? I found a pdf classing my car as "HS" in the stock category, but it wasn't quite too specific as to what cars are lumped into what class.

If your car is stock, find it on this listing, from the SCCA web site.

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/Documents/2011%20Tech/2011%20stock%20listings.pdf

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I'm a terrible environment hating criminal with no cats on my car. Does this make me ineligible for pretty much anything but some super mega unlimited class(or any class?). I've never autocrossed, but I vaguely remember reading over a rulebook that seemed to require cats for pretty much every class. How big of a problem is this.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

peepsalot posted:

I'm a terrible environment hating criminal with no cats on my car. Does this make me ineligible for pretty much anything but some super mega unlimited class(or any class?). I've never autocrossed, but I vaguely remember reading over a rulebook that seemed to require cats for pretty much every class. How big of a problem is this.

Kicks you up to Street Prepared

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Anyone hear running the San Diego tour this weekend?

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Before I attend my first event, I won't get laughed out for using a car with a CVT will I? :ohdear:

I've always wanted to learn manual, but never had the opportunity to practice in one.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Ironsights posted:

Before I attend my first event, I won't get laughed out for using a car with a CVT will I? :ohdear:

I've always wanted to learn manual, but never had the opportunity to practice in one.

If anything, I'd think CVT would give you an advantage, haha.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Ironsights posted:

It's more important that you get out there and have fun and decide if you want to participate than your skills going in.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

So, southern ontario goons - first PITL autox next Saturday, who's coming?

I'm also definitely going to be there on the 26th -

Scion + PITL posted:

Saturday, May 26 (PITL Event # 2) will be the Official Scion FR-S test drive day.
All competitors will be able to test drive the all new Scion FR-S on the course during our competition. Additionally, Scion dealers will be out to test drive the FR-S during the lunch break. VIP invitations have been sent out for the Media to participate in the Media Challenge class.

Lots of excitement, fun and Scion give-aways, don’t miss this exciting event.

http://www.wiredmotorsports.com/pitl/

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I just looked up the FR-S and holy poo poo, 25K USD to start?! I thought it was supposed to be a modern day AE-86...you know, cheap sporty fun?

e: don't get me wrong, I'm sure the FR-S is fun as hell to drive but I was under the impression that it was supposed to be priced as an alternative to small, staid FWD econoboxes.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
I'm very curious how the FRS will hold up to the V6 mustang.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

whiskas posted:

I'm very curious how the FRS will hold up to the V6 mustang.

First thing I looked at was a V6 Camaro. Starts at 23K and can't be too boring to drive. :v:

"Inside Line posted:

5. It Uses Prius Tires
Yes, we didn't believe it either, but the FR-S uses the same 215/45-R17 Michelin Primacy rubber that's optional on the Prius. In our first drive of the Toyota 86 we reported that the tires were the same size as those from the Prius option package, but we didn't think it possible that the much-hyped Toyota sports car would use the exact rubber as found on the efficiency-focused Prius.

Well, it does.

Tada-san insists that the FR-S's rubber doesn't share just a name with the tires on the FR-S. Rather, it's actually the exact same tire utilizing the same construction and compound as the optional Prius rubber. The reason, he says, is that the car's light weight and low center of gravity don't demand a high-grip tire.

Modest grip, stunning balance. It's a formula that works better than expected. The FR-S's fun quotient exceeds the sum of its parts.

Awesome, it comes with the same all-season whatever tires the Prius has. I know OE tire choices often aren't great but for 25k? Come on, Toyota.

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 29, 2012

whiskas
May 30, 2005

quote:

The car's light weight and low center of gravity don't demand a high-grip tire

That is just utter bullshit. "Our car is too light and too well balanced for the likes of silly performance summer tires" *flicks cigarette at you*

I honestly think toyota has forgotten how to build a performance car. This is the first remotely sporty car to come out with a toyota badge in almost a decade.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

whiskas posted:

That is just utter bullshit. "Our car is too light and too well balanced for the likes of silly performance summer tires" *flicks cigarette at you*

I honestly think toyota has forgotten how to build a performance car. This is the first remotely sporty car to come out with a toyota badge in almost a decade.

Reread the quote again:

quote:

The car's light weight and low center of gravity don't demand a high-grip tire

Keyword bolded. Even though wider, grippier tires would certainly make the car ride on rails, all they're saying is that it's not necessary due to the other factors listed. P.S., the car is mostly Subaru anyway, not Toyota.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
The real answer was "We didn't get the MPG numbers we wanted so we threw on rock hard tires to squeak out that last 1-2 MPG."

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

TrueChaos posted:

So, southern ontario goons - first PITL autox next Saturday, who's coming?

I'm also definitely going to be there on the 26th -

http://www.wiredmotorsports.com/pitl/

I think I might be able to go, but don't really have tires to burn. :smith:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Sockington posted:

I think I might be able to go, but don't really have tires to burn. :smith:

Are the ones on the miata almost dead, or just not good for auto-x? 'Cause if the answer is just not good for auto-x, come out anyway, just means you'll slide around a bit more than the rest of us.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

TrueChaos posted:

Are the ones on the miata almost dead, or just not good for auto-x? 'Cause if the answer is just not good for auto-x, come out anyway, just means you'll slide around a bit more than the rest of us.

The rear ones were already cooked before this season.

I could check the garage to see if my old 16" wheels have some decent rubber on them.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Update: I've been given the go ahead by the wife, so Ontario-AI goon meet?

Then we can all brag how we've beaten the poo poo out of an "exclusive" car in the Toyobaru thread. :smugbert:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Sockington posted:

Update: I've been given the go ahead by the wife, so Ontario-AI goon meet?

Then we can all brag how we've beaten the poo poo out of an "exclusive" car in the Toyobaru thread. :smugbert:

For the may 26th one? I'm definitely going to be there, and I'd bet Ziploc will too.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

I just looked up the FR-S and holy poo poo, 25K USD to start?! I thought it was supposed to be a modern day AE-86...you know, cheap sporty fun?

e: don't get me wrong, I'm sure the FR-S is fun as hell to drive but I was under the impression that it was supposed to be priced as an alternative to small, staid FWD econoboxes.

How much was a new AE-86? How much more did it cost than a comparable FWD econobox of the day?

I honestly can't find official MSRP on it but folks who claim to have owned originals are saying the paid anywhere between 10k and 13k for theirs. If that's the case, then the new model is barely more expensive (after inflation adjustment) than the original. And that's before we do any sort of adjustment for the features you get on a modern car.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

whiskas posted:

They did not put better tires on it because they wanted to limits to be low. The Miata has always had fairly slim tires (for a sports car) for the same. This is not a new thing. I'm not sure why it bothers you so.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Back to actual autocross (because there is a separate thread for the FRS/BRZ, with like all the answers and more to the crap in this thread) one of the top drivers in our region put together a coaching video from his various runs at Sunday's event. A bunch of good stuff in it, and not a half bad view (a lot better than some youtube videos I've seen).

Be sure to have sound on, because he actually talks about what is going on in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_woZLAcR5aI&feature=youtu.be

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Going to do some autocross this weekend in Albany, NY with MoHud SCCA: http://www.mohud-scca.org/solo/schedule-results/

Went a few times last year and it was a ton of fun.
Going to compete for points this year, I took off my raceland coilovers on my 01' 330ci (e46) and put back the stock sport springs/new shocks so it should be interesting to see the difference.

The only issue I have when I autoX is that I get this awful ticking sound from my engine after a few runs, but I noticed all the other BMW's and a 911 had the same thing so who knows. Goes away after driving on the road for a few minutes, maybe I need to switch oil viscosity? I just always feel like I am going to detonate my car each time I do a run.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Voltage posted:

330ci (e46)

The only issue I have when I autoX is that I get this awful ticking sound from my engine after a few runs, but I noticed all the other BMW's and a 911 had the same thing so who knows. Goes away after driving on the road for a few minutes, maybe I need to switch oil viscosity? I just always feel like I am going to detonate my car each time I do a run.

It's a BMW thing, my '95 E36 M3 (3.0 liter straight 6) does the same thing.

The cause is the hydraulic lifters don't get enough oil in high-g cornering situations, so after enough of that at high rpm's (like an autocross), air gets into the lifters and they start ticking.

Step 1 if you are going to autocross a BMW that is subject to this - overfill the oil by 1 quart.

Step 2 is to get used to that stupid annoying sound, as step 1 won't eliminate the problem, it just helps to make it take longer to start.

After a couple normal driving miles, the air works it's way out and the sound will be gone, and air in the lifters (in an autocross venue) shouldn't have any lasting ill effects.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Miatas are prone to the same thing. Yay for Hydraulic Lash Adjusters.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

The Locator posted:

It's a BMW thing, my '95 E36 M3 (3.0 liter straight 6) does the same thing.

The cause is the hydraulic lifters don't get enough oil in high-g cornering situations, so after enough of that at high rpm's (like an autocross), air gets into the lifters and they start ticking.

Step 1 if you are going to autocross a BMW that is subject to this - overfill the oil by 1 quart.

Step 2 is to get used to that stupid annoying sound, as step 1 won't eliminate the problem, it just helps to make it take longer to start.

After a couple normal driving miles, the air works it's way out and the sound will be gone, and air in the lifters (in an autocross venue) shouldn't have any lasting ill effects.

Well that's a relief! I'll take a bunch of pics this weekend.

El Gato
Nov 5, 2002
Any particular things to note about autocrossing an AWD car? This seems like it would be a lot of fun, but I only have the one car to try out.

Also it's an auto, but from the descriptions in the rest of the thread, it seems like I could mostly get by by putting it in manual mode and throwing it into 2nd after the start?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Is it a Subaru? If so, pull the ABS fuse.

When you engage ABS, it will shift the car into 4th gear.

El Gato
Nov 5, 2002
It's a 535. Most of the BMW's in the pics in here are 3 series, but the car still seems like it would be fun to drive fast (and I needed room for a baby seat soon).

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Do it. You might be surprised how nimble a 5 series can be.

I'm doing this years first autocross on the weekend in my 330i. I expect to roast the last of the terrible potenza REA50 runflats the PO put on.

El Gato
Nov 5, 2002
I'm not too crazy about the tires my car's PO put on either. Goodyear RSA's or something.

The DC region SCCA seems to do autocross instruction days once a month or so. I might try to do one of these so that I can get some basic idea of what the hell I'm doing. My only experience with anything like this before was one of the Mazda Rev it Up events after I got my mazda 6.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

First autox of the year, wooo! First in my class, only cause Ziploc wasn't competing today.

E: did significantly better after being reminded my options were braking or turning, pick one. Do both at once and plow...

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 5, 2012

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
First test day today, and it turns out the tires on my 330i didn't take long to eat it. Near the end of the day after about 10 runs total, I noticed the front passenger sidewall was cracked and bulging. Not sure if that happened today, but I throught I gave it a pretty good look while I was setting the pressure in the morning. Going to do a really early morning bleed of my e36 328is brakes in the morning for the competitive event.

It'll be nice to get a direct comparison between the two cars on what should be a very similar course due to the setup constraints. I already prefer everything on the e36 except for the steering ratio/transmission so it should be interesting.

El Gato posted:

I'm not too crazy about the tires my car's PO put on either. Goodyear RSA's or something.

The DC region SCCA seems to do autocross instruction days once a month or so. I might try to do one of these so that I can get some basic idea of what the hell I'm doing. My only experience with anything like this before was one of the Mazda Rev it Up events after I got my mazda 6.

If you're not familiar at all, the instruction day is probably the best way to start. I did my first one last year at a regional event so it was a little overwhelming. It didn't help that they made me the first car of the day. The school today was much better - I got seat time with a good instructor who eased me into going quick. Plus I got way more runs that I could get on a competition day.

I didn't get any pictures of it, but in typical BMW fashion a z3 popped a coolant hose mid-run.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
one of my local autocrossers has been streaming the san diego NT (last weekends event) and this weekends El Toro Pro Solo events live. http://www.ustream.tv/channel/SCCASolo

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I am loving garbage at autocross in the Mazda2, my god.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Phone posted:

I am loving garbage at autocross in the Mazda2, my god.

Would like video proof please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I haven't bothered to GoPro anything in ages. I'll get video of the next one.

• Locked thread