Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pookdaddy G
Jun 13, 2007
Apparently there is a port of MVC2 in iTune's App store at the moment. Anyone try it out yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying High
Jan 7, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

i have both and i have UMVC3 for both but i mainly play on 360. i'll make an exception for you guys tho. psn: dorkasaurus_rex

dorkasaurus I have the game for the xbox 360 here, I can try to help you out also, just send me a friend request and I will play when I am on.

GT: Zerms

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Pookdaddy G posted:

Apparently there is a port of MVC2 in iTune's App store at the moment. Anyone try it out yet?

I haven't played it but the general consensus is the controls are as awful as you would expect, but it's cheap so if you wanna dick around then why not.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Pookdaddy G posted:

I can't even begin to imagine how horribly that must control. I wonder how much I would have to pay Yipes to do his Magneto combos on that? :v:

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

This game remains exceptionally unfun to play online. I win maybe one out of every 10 matches, and I win in a bullshit and stupid way that isn't even satisfying. I'm better offline but even then I'm still scrubby...

Oh man that's rough, although I'm not much better as I win roughly 1 out of 3. If I had to break down my losses, I'd say I lose 2 out of 9 to a gimmick to which I don't know the answer, 2 out of 9 due to bad play on my part, 1 out of 9 due to crappy online play, and 1 out of 9 where the person is actually really good and way beyond me.

This game certainly has a bunch of gimmicks, and not knowing when to push block/how to punish can lead to a lot of losses from my experience. I actually barely have combos, but I've noticed that at lower level play they're not as necessary as having answers to unsafe moves or being able to escape poor teleport set ups, moves with armor, or exchanges.

Anyway if you want to hit me up, my 360 tag is Topologic.

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?
Is it just me, or have all of Joker's Iron Man videos been made private on youtube? I finally decide to put some time into the character, and all of the matches I meant to study have vanished from public eyes, dang.

If anyone else is also sitting at that Just Barely Above Scrub level, feel free to send me a friend request at 'Merton Blask' on Live. I'm pretty terrible, but I'm always willing to take a beating.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

Merton Blask posted:

Is it just me, or have all of Joker's Iron Man videos been made private on youtube? I finally decide to put some time into the character, and all of the matches I meant to study have vanished from public eyes, dang.

If anyone else is also sitting at that Just Barely Above Scrub level, feel free to send me a friend request at 'Merton Blask' on Live. I'm pretty terrible, but I'm always willing to take a beating.

I made a playlist on YouTube of UMvC3 Iron Man players awhile ago. No Joker, but Danke and some good Japanese Iron Man players, none who are nearly as good as Joker but you can learn a lot:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC489CC74A47951B5&feature=mh_lolz

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Dante Strangelove or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Top Tier. Is the combo in the new testament good to learn or are there more optimized ones out there? I did a little bold cancel practice going from stinger to volcano, definitely seemed like something I could get down but I didn't want to put the time in and find out the combo is junk.

e: said combo does 672,700 with a net gain of slightly more than 1 meter

Fenn the Fool! fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 30, 2012

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Dante Strangelove or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Top Tier. Is the combo in the new testament good to learn or are there more optimized ones out there? I did a little bold cancel practice going from stinger to volcano, definitely seemed like something I could get down but I didn't want to put the time in and find out the combo is junk.

I still use it just because I have the muscle memory and nothing I've seen is thaaat much better, and it really wasn't that bad to learn as long as you break it down into more manageable pieces that you'll need anyway to play Dante like stinger ->bold cancel ->teleport. You probably want an OTG assist with Dante too (hurf Wesker) so his air grab isn't trash and it's super easy to pile even a little more damage onto that with OTG assist into hammer.

edit: also if you really want to pick top tier I'd pick up Spencer or Vergil :)

Eldred fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 30, 2012

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Here is the thing with Dante combos do the easiest and simplest combo that you will never ever drop THATS IT, like you can do really fancy poo poo for like 30-40k extra but you might drop it so don't.

This is the easy mode everywhere Dante combo.

5M,5H,6H,623L+S~M,j.M,j.H,236L,S~HH~S,8j.236L~L,land,(3HHH6H,L+S,j.S),623M~M,super
*only do the 3HHH stuff in the corner

Here is my hard mode midscreen Dante combo
5M,5H,6H,623L+S~M,j.M,j.H,236L,S~HH~S,2369L~L,236M~M,j.S,dash 3HHH6H~2L+S~2S,j.S,land,623M~M,super(ohh cool I did 20k extra sure is fun, I pretty much only go for this when screwing around)

Like I can basically screw around and make poo poo up and break 650k with Dante but I don't think I have ever broken 750k in a match without using 2 meter.

ShinsoBEAM! fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 30, 2012

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Eldred posted:

I still use it just because I have the muscle memory and nothing I've seen is thaaat much better, and it really wasn't that bad to learn as long as you break it down into more manageable pieces that you'll need anyway to play Dante like stinger ->bold cancel ->teleport. You probably want an OTG assist with Dante too (hurf Wesker) so his air grab isn't trash and it's super easy to pile even a little more damage onto that with OTG assist into hammer.

edit: also if you really want to pick top tier I'd pick up Spencer or Vergil :)

He has like 13 OTG moves, he really can't use any of them to combo after an air grab? I've been running Haggar/_____/Dr. D since vanilla; Hisen-Ko, then Hawkeye, Iron Man, Ryu, and finally "gently caress it, another character that everyone else plays". I don't think missiles would be fast enough to help me out there and Haggar gets more mileage out of plasma beam.

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
His air throw leaves him floating in the air for a long time, his only OTG that works is rain storm. While it's possible to use that to pick someone up and use an assist to hold them in place long enough to land a hammer, it's very difficult and becomes impossible if you land the air throw too high.

bomper
Apr 26, 2009

Fenn the Fool! posted:

He has like 13 OTG moves, he really can't use any of them to combo after an air grab? I've been running Haggar/_____/Dr. D since vanilla; Hisen-Ko, then Hawkeye, Iron Man, Ryu, and finally "gently caress it, another character that everyone else plays". I don't think missiles would be fast enough to help me out there and Haggar gets more mileage out of plasma beam.

For what it's worth, air grab isn't a vital tool for Dante, and he really benefits from a beam assist. Call Doom for a safe teleport, mixup and try to convert off the beam, etc. Plasma beam's not ideal, it's slow, combos off it are tricky to start and the damage scales poorly, but it gets the job done.

Don't pick Dante if you're just looking to throw in a top tier, though. Most people just run Vergil instead because he's similar and takes a lot less work. Wesker sounds like he'd fit well with Haggar and Doom-a. He's pretty simple, and a lot of fun, too!

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Liking a character and a having them be less commonly played is a pretty big deciding factor for me, thus the train of dysfunctional middle men. Dante does seem to have much more synergy with Haggar than Virgil, Jam Session is great in the neutral game, covers a very different area than the beam, and extends his combos well, all of which I don't think can be said for Rapid Slash. Further, while I'm sure Wesker's gunshot assist would be useful there's no way in hell I'd play him and when you give the mayor a million dollars he turns any random pipe into a million damage without breaking a sweat, Albert probably can't claim the same. Honestly I should be playing Haggar/Dr. D/Ammy, the dog hits all the right notes for both other characters, but I just don't like playing her.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Safety Scissors posted:

Oh man that's rough, although I'm not much better as I win roughly 1 out of 3. If I had to break down my losses, I'd say I lose 2 out of 9 to a gimmick to which I don't know the answer, 2 out of 9 due to bad play on my part, 1 out of 9 due to crappy online play, and 1 out of 9 where the person is actually really good and way beyond me.

This game certainly has a bunch of gimmicks, and not knowing when to push block/how to punish can lead to a lot of losses from my experience. I actually barely have combos, but I've noticed that at lower level play they're not as necessary as having answers to unsafe moves or being able to escape poor teleport set ups, moves with armor, or exchanges.

Anyway if you want to hit me up, my 360 tag is Topologic.

An embarrassing amount of my losses come from blatantly scrubby dudes teleporting all over the place with Vergil and using Rapid Slash and poo poo which is really hard for me to block for some reason. Vergil's teleports ARE punishable iirc but they always seem to catch me off guard.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

bomper posted:

Don't pick Dante if you're just looking to throw in a top tier, though. Most people just run Vergil instead because he's similar and takes a lot less work. Wesker sounds like he'd fit well with Haggar and Doom-a. He's pretty simple, and a lot of fun, too!

I kind of a agree with this, the reason you pick Dante is because JAM SESSION! He is a solid character after that but I know that I picked him for his assist. I found Vergil to be harder to play then Dante, Vergil actually has moves that are unsafe and punishable while Dante can kind of do w/e he want

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

An embarrassing amount of my losses come from blatantly scrubby dudes teleporting all over the place with Vergil and using Rapid Slash and poo poo which is really hard for me to block for some reason. Vergil's teleports ARE punishable iirc but they always seem to catch me off guard.

I'm gonna give you some tips on fighting Vergil.

Vergil's normals are all unsafe. If he ever forgets to cancel a blockstring into a special, punish him.

Vergil players like to teleport, rapid slash, judgement cut, or sometimes even dive kick when they are 2/3 to fullscreen. When you are at that distance you can empty jump, double jump, or walljump around a bit until they do something. Empty jumping around makes it harder for them to actually connect something on you. If they cover whatever they're doing with an assist you may have a hard time punishing them but after their assist disappears you will have an opportunity to call your assist and attempt to mix them up.

As I mentioned, Vergil players will cancel into one of his specials after a blockstring or use his specials + an assist to get in. If the Vergil player has meter there is a good chance he will use Vergil's install super or the swords super to stay safe after you block one of his specials. You can't punish him if he spends the meter to do one of his supers but you can pushblock him.

Generally you need Vergil to be out of meter or the help of an assist to cleanly attack Vergil.

Dorkasaurus are you dorkasaurus_rex on xbl? I will play you if I see you on.

PS - Last night I ended a match with Deadpool's lvl 3 counter against a Vajra-happy Strider and it made my night.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh man, my disc broke. There's 2 arc like scratches that were made by the xbox that stop the character select screen from loading. It's not covered by the warranty at this point. Does anyone who previously posted how much they hate the game want to sell me theirs? Should I just get a new copy? It's still 39.99. What should I do?

Mopey in Miami

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Try installing it to the hard drive if you can. I did that with my copy of Battlefield 3 after it gave up the ghost and it worked pretty well.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Safety Scissors posted:

Oh man, my disc broke. There's 2 arc like scratches that were made by the xbox that stop the character select screen from loading. It's not covered by the warranty at this point. Does anyone who previously posted how much they hate the game want to sell me theirs? Should I just get a new copy? It's still 39.99. What should I do?

Mopey in Miami

First figure out if your xbox is broken and would simply scratch a new disc too.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Cat Machine posted:

Try installing it to the hard drive if you can. I did that with my copy of Battlefield 3 after it gave up the ghost and it worked pretty well.

Even if you can't install that copy to the HDD, see if you can borrow a copy from a friend or someone at a meetup. It takes a disk to be pretty bad for it to not be able to verify the installed copy.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
What is up with install disc to drive anyway? I installed the game to my hard drive and the disc still spins like loving CRAZY while I am playing.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I don't think it's supposed to, after the starting check everything should be done from the HDD.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
My favorite way to dealing with teleporters is to just superjump straight up. Typically the other person will wait doing nothing until you come back down so try and hit them and call an assist if they block so you can get a mixup in.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Generally you don't want to be directly over characters since you set yourself up for right/left mixups, so neutral super jumping teleporters isn't always a good idea. You also have to guess if people will go for an airgrab or an airhit which is pretty hard to predict.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Doing neutral superjumps predictably is pretty risky because you're leaving yourself super open for airgrabs.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

WalrusWhiskers posted:

Generally you don't want to be directly over characters since you set yourself up for right/left mixups, so neutral super jumping teleporters isn't always a good idea. You also have to guess if people will go for an airgrab or an airhit which is pretty hard to predict.

Especially vs wesker, since he can call an assist and do an tiger knee air forward or down teleport and get a free high low left right mixup, plus a command grab option. :stare:

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

WalrusWhiskers posted:

Unless you're Spencer/X-23 and can do your best impression of Kirby in Smash Brothers.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Cuchulain posted:

Unless you're Spencer/X-23 and can do your best impression of Kirby in Smash Brothers.

Be careful doing that. On whiff, X-23 has 10 frames of recovery and Spencer has 22. Frank West's knee drop, a similar move, has 12.

If you telegraph your talon dive/bionic bomber/knee drop you can be easily whiff punished. Against X-23 or Frank West baiting a talon dive or knee drop is as easy as sort of almost standing under them when they super jump. With Spencer it's harder because he'll probably grapple instead of doing bionic bomber.

On the topic of empty super jumping vs. teleporters I agree that it's a bad idea for all of the reasons that have been mentioned. The key against teleporters is having a punish ready or staying mobile. For instance, a ton of teleports lose their effectiveness if you simply jump forward.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Dren posted:

Be careful doing that. On whiff, X-23 has 10 frames of recovery and Spencer has 22. Frank West's knee drop, a similar move, has 12.

If you telegraph your talon dive/bionic bomber/knee drop you can be easily whiff punished. Against X-23 or Frank West baiting a talon dive or knee drop is as easy as sort of almost standing under them when they super jump. With Spencer it's harder because he'll probably grapple instead of doing bionic bomber.

On the topic of empty super jumping vs. teleporters I agree that it's a bad idea for all of the reasons that have been mentioned. The key against teleporters is having a punish ready or staying mobile. For instance, a ton of teleports lose their effectiveness if you simply jump forward.

Spencer's air down grapple is reasonably safe, isn't it?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure you can cancel it into zipline so ya.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

That first time you counter teleport with a neutral jump, though? You'll get like 50 frames' worth of opening out of the opponent's surprise. I've turtled teleporters who go numb if you don't react the fourth time the same way you did the first three times. The teleporters were playing lazy, but hey, not all strategies are perfect.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
You just have to get used to the cheap online gimmicks. If you're playing against a teleport+beam team, I've had success beating them by staying on top of them with wolverine's fast normals and hyper sentinel force/bionic arm on reaction.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSIVm78WKoU

Nova gimmick due to his inferno being canceled by landing when very low on the screen but still "in the air"

bomper
Apr 26, 2009

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Liking a character and a having them be less commonly played is a pretty big deciding factor for me, thus the train of dysfunctional middle men. Dante does seem to have much more synergy with Haggar than Virgil, Jam Session is great in the neutral game, covers a very different area than the beam, and extends his combos well, all of which I don't think can be said for Rapid Slash. Further, while I'm sure Wesker's gunshot assist would be useful there's no way in hell I'd play him and when you give the mayor a million dollars he turns any random pipe into a million damage without breaking a sweat, Albert probably can't claim the same. Honestly I should be playing Haggar/Dr. D/Ammy, the dog hits all the right notes for both other characters, but I just don't like playing her.

If you're sticking with Dante then combo II from the book seems like a good starting point. When you hit the stinger->bold cancel->teleport, do j.s xx killer bee to cross up and position yourself for a corner Sphere Flame DHC. I'm pretty sure you can also squeeze in a Doom beam assist so it hits right as you're doing that last volcano->beehive.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

WalrusWhiskers posted:

You just have to get used to the cheap online gimmicks. If you're playing against a teleport+beam team, I've had success beating them by staying on top of them with wolverine's fast normals and hyper sentinel force/bionic arm on reaction.
Don't forget to throw out "random" berserker slashes against teleporters. If you throw out a b. slash just when they think they're at safe range to call assist + teleport it's almost a guaranteed happy birthday since most teleports in the game have significant startup.

Also, Sent's H drones (the bombs) are sooooo fun to use against teleporters. s.H xx c.H xx bombs is instant win against dumb Vergils.

Wozbo posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSIVm78WKoU

Nova gimmick due to his inferno being canceled by landing when very low on the screen but still "in the air"
Infrit made a video showing this glitch. He uses the glitch to cancel the recovery of M Centurion Rush, allowing him to extend combos a bit. He doesn't get a whole lot of extra damage for having spent the meter but there may be potential here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al65FSSEh1E

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
New Runnin' Sets. Combofiend vs. Mike Ross, but with Combofiend using a new team of Firebrand, Trish, and Doctor Doom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP8gT_hfIuY

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Been a few months since I played this, is the alternate costume mega pack out yet?

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Yes. 1600 Funbucks/$20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Medullah posted:

Been a few months since I played this, is the alternate costume mega pack out yet?

It does not include Magneto's alt costume though, and they patched out the glitch that let you select it.

• Locked thread