Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Speaking of We Are One, one of my favourite tracks of the last few weeks has been the Nu:Logic remix of it. It's kind of a shame that Nu:Tone seems to be the only Hospital producer who can be bothered making this sort of tune, but that's by the by.

My absolute favourite of the moment, however, has to be 4U by Rockwell. I know it's been out for a while now but it's really grown on me lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkiUXFLOMI4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

zeldadude posted:

Also any opinions on the new logistics tune we are one? I loving love it just because I like catchy and well produced songs and am in love with logistics.

We Are One caught me off guard, I wasn't expecting anything like it from Logistics. Somehow it manages to sound like 90s rave and still feel modern. The B-side, Timelapse, is also pretty great, digging that synth fill.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

chrix posted:

Finished another mix last week. I promised my facebook fans that I'd make a jungle mix when I hit 1,000 fans, so here's the result. I'm pretty proud of this one, so sit back and enjoy.

DJ Hollow Point - Modern Jungle
http://soundcloud.com/djhollowpoint/modern-jungle

drat, I need to check this thread more often. Awesome mix!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Maximum Planck posted:

We Are One caught me off guard, I wasn't expecting anything like it from Logistics. Somehow it manages to sound like 90s rave and still feel modern. The B-side, Timelapse, is also pretty great, digging that synth fill.

This. I'm listening to it now, and it sounds retro as gently caress in some ways while still somehow managing to feel new in other ways. I love this.

I need this whole album.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
Neosignal Podcast volume 5

Tracklist:

1. Phace + Misanthrop - Progression - Neosignal 010
2. Alix Perez + Rockwell - Ballbag - Neosignal 009
3. Dub Phizix - Bateman - SoulR
4. Phace + Misanthrop - Energie - Neosignal EP001
5. Noisia + The Upbeats - Dustup - Vision
6. Royalston - Carnivore - Med School
7. Noisia - Tryhard - Vision
8. Rockwell - ConstantComplexRhythmicSound - Shogun
9. Phace - Systeme Mecanique - Neosignal 010
10. Mefjus - Distantia - Neodigital 003
11. Stray + Halogenix - Poison - Warm Communications
12. Noisia - Soul Purge feat. Foreign Beggars - Current Value Remix - Mau5trap
13. Phace - Stresstest - Neosignal 009
14. Phace + Noisia - Imperial - Vision
15. Eskamon - Fine Objects - Ancestor
16. Loops Haunt - Impact Omnihammer - Black Acre
17. Trent Reznor - Ghost 35 - The Null Corporation
18. Koan Sounds - The Edge - OWSLA
19. Misanthrop - Hammerfaust - Neodigital 002
20. Phace - Teufelswerk - Neodigital 002
21. Noisia - Stigma - Neosignal Remix - Mau5trap

VVVshit thanksVVV

Arthur Bowlsworth fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 26, 2012

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

^^ Your link's broken: http://soundcloud.com/phace/neosignal-podcast-volume-005 ^^

Looks awesome, going to have a listen now. Neosignal have always put out some awesome stuff.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
The new Logistics album is incredible! So much variety, lots of modern stuff and lots of old-school stuff and even a 140-tempo track or two but it's all really well done. This is probably my favourite track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HcUugjwWkY ~ reminds me so much of the early Logistics / High Contrast sound I love so much

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

I just uploaded my Electric Forest minimix (<15 minutes) and figured I'd give you guys a chance to check it out. If I get enough listens/favorites/shares, I could possibly play at Electric FOrest and get 2 free VIP tix.

http://www.mixcloud.com/djhollowpoint/electric-forest-mix-match-2012/

tracklist:
1) Camo & Krooked - Cryptkeeper (Mind Vortex remix)
2) Omni Trio - Renegade Snares (Bladerunner bootleg)
3) High Contrast - The Agony and The Ecstasy
4) TC - Tap Ho
5) Crystal Clear & Zen - Dancehall Thriller
6) Tyke - Infected Headphones
7) Serum - Special Technique
8) Serial Killaz - Authentic

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Listening to the new Logistics album now, and it's by far the best liquid I've heard since...well, probably the Netsky album in 2010.

seiken posted:

reminds me so much of the early Logistics / High Contrast sound I love so much

This is true of pretty much the whole thing. Somehow it sounds fresh and yet old-school simultaneously.

Basically, I dig the hell out of this album.

Most of the beats hit really fuckin' hard. I can't wait to take this thing out driving soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQg-putYLzo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbJRpft4L98
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2bR4OL4nyk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWdAt5Uu4OE

edit: Sendai Song is my favorite on the entire album so far. It's so mellow and gives out such wonderful vibes.

edit2: And then Over & Out comes and takes that spot. This album is just full of wonderful tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6V_2D8FoPs

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 27, 2012

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Just want to jump on the "Logistics new album is awesome" band wagon: I gave it a play-through on my daily commute today and am extremely impressed. Definitely worth a listen.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
On my phone and can't be bothered to get a YouTube link but everyone look up come alive by netsky. His new album is looking to be really good. But this song makes me go holy poo poo every time.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Here it is for the lazy. I also suggest checking out the Rockwell remix if you're still in need of a few more laughs.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Come Alive gets me just as excited as Give And Take, which is to say not at all.

They both sound like they'd fit right in among the boring tracks on The Agony And The Ecstasy, not a Netsky release.

That Rockwell remix actually makes the song kind of interesting, though.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
To be honest i think the Logistics album, at least the tracks i've heard, sounds crap.. it's just the standard modern Hospital fare. Cut-up unimaginative vocals, same annoying synths and just completely predictable. We Are One was notable to me as well because i thought it the worst, it's awful.. it's so simplistic melody wise, MORE cut-up vocals as if that isn't done enough already and the synths used sound even worse trying to give it a 90s breakbeat hardcore feel; don't think that poo poo main piano hook would have been popular back in the day.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

infinity2005 posted:

To be honest i think the Logistics album, at least the tracks i've heard, sounds crap.. it's just the standard modern Hospital fare. Cut-up unimaginative vocals, same annoying synths and just completely predictable. We Are One was notable to me as well because i thought it the worst, it's awful.. it's so simplistic melody wise, MORE cut-up vocals as if that isn't done enough already and the synths used sound even worse trying to give it a 90s breakbeat hardcore feel; don't think that poo poo main piano hook would have been popular back in the day.

Nonsense. Crystal Skies is incredible as is Over and Out and Sendai Song.

You guys are getting seriously harsh on Hospital lately, it's kind of ridiculous. Anything that comes out on Hospital or has even a snippet of female vocal sample in it is instantly poo poo in peoples minds I guess. Just seems a little close-minded to judge an album that has 15 tracks before even listening to it. Not sure how many songs you've heard though.

also the rockwell remix of come alive is loving awful. Seriously. Interesting sure but dear god. Culture Shock remix is looking to be the best version so far.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
Yeah, to be fair High Contrast's new one was no High Society but I still thought it was pretty good! New Logistics is great and Nu:Tone's one from last year was sick. The main players hospital style has certainly evolved over time but I don't think it's got loads worse or anything. Admittedly the best tracks are often the less-modern sounding ones but not always.

edit: I do think it would be an improvement if they stopped using those huge kinda electro-house-inspired synthy chord synths all over the place so much. I blame Netsky for that.

seiken fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 5, 2012

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Well all i know is i liked all of their output pre-09 then it seemed to be a total change of direction after Mistabishi - Drop, now very few of them grab my attention at all. I hope S.P.Y doesn't start making total cheese now he's signed with them.

edit: the Blokh4ed release in 2010, now that's a quality 12" and more what i would usually expect from NHS

infinity2005 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 6, 2012

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I typically love all of Hospital's output, but new High Contrast was a dud (besides Father Can't You See I'm Burning, which loving rules) and the 2 new Netsky tracks do nothing for me.

New Logistics album is off the chain, though.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
This doesn't seem like anything new, either. I had the same discussion with friends after stuff like High Society came out. We were all thinking "Well this isn't as good as Make it Tonight and True Colours...." I guess I just depends. I grew to like those, and I've always liked the chopped vocals at least in passing. Danny Byrd always did it well. (see: Wishing Well remix)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

lovely self promotion, but this thread hasn't been moving very fast as of late anyway:

I tried my hand at incorporating the Amen into one of my tunes for the first time. I guess it's ambient dnb of sorts. Check it out and lemme know if I should never do this again or if it's alright :shobon:

http://soundcloud.com/betaproject/false-flag

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

The thing about Hospital is that they've gone progressively more commercial over the years (I think the turning point was Return Of Forever) simply because it's worked for them in terms of fanbase and overall success. The problem people have with them is that the way they've done it is by alienating all their old fans and are now essentially focusing on the teen/student demographic.

infinity2005 posted:

Well all i know is i liked all of their output pre-09 then it seemed to be a total change of direction after Mistabishi - Drop, now very few of them grab my attention at all.

100% agreed, and it's no coincidence that dubstep took to prominence at around the same time. The Barbarix remix of Printer Jam marked the start of a new era, for better or worse.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
Well, I agree they have definitely got a lot more commercial on average, but I manage to like it despite that I guess. Not that I wouldn't love a new old-timey record from them. For the record I am a poser who only found out about drum&bass when Hold Your Colour happened so my favourite NHS stuff is from around that time, Now More Than Ever and things.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

lovely self promotion, but this thread hasn't been moving very fast as of late anyway:

I tried my hand at incorporating the Amen into one of my tunes for the first time. I guess it's ambient dnb of sorts. Check it out and lemme know if I should never do this again or if it's alright :shobon:

http://soundcloud.com/betaproject/false-flag

It's pretty cool, I like it. The amen volume going down and up when the bass comes in/out is a little odd-sounding. Other than that it's pleasing.

If we're posting stuff we did maybe you guys could tell me what you think of these? http://soundcloud.com/grandfunk/sets/dnb-wips/s-ZbARo I sort of just recently got good enough to make DnB that isn't awful but these are all still WIP sketches I intend to go back to and polish/redo a whole lot (haven't had time to for like half a year cause of graduate school). 1st one is the most polished, 2nd needs the cheesy piano fixed, 3rd is a half-finished remix of my friend's tune, in which I need to make the bass more interesting, 4th has too loud/aggressive drums. And the EQ/mastering is dodgy throughout. It's like chilled liquid stuff mostly.

seiken fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 6, 2012

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

seiken posted:

Well, I agree they have definitely got a lot more commercial on average, but I manage to like it despite that I guess. Not that I wouldn't love a new old-timey record from them. For the record I am a poser who only found out about drum&bass when Hold Your Colour happened so my favourite NHS stuff is from around that time, Now More Than Ever and things.

It's pretty cool, I like it. The amen volume going down and up when the bass comes in/out is a little odd-sounding. Other than that it's pleasing.

If we're posting stuff we did maybe you guys could tell me what you think of these? http://soundcloud.com/grandfunk/sets/dnb-wips/s-ZbARo I sort of just recently got good enough to make DnB that isn't awful but these are all still WIP sketches I intend to go back to and polish/redo a whole lot (haven't had time to for like half a year cause of graduate school). 1st one is the most polished, 2nd needs the cheesy piano fixed, 3rd is a half-finished remix of my friend's tune, in which I need to make the bass more interesting, 4th has too loud/aggressive drums. And the EQ/mastering is dodgy throughout. It's like chilled liquid stuff mostly.

Thanks :) Yeah, it's a work in progress. I had just finished the initial draft and it sounded better than what I'd anticipated, so I threw it up on SoundCloud.

Listening to your stuff and I dig it!

"Sudden" sounds a ton like Matrix+Futurebound's "Skyscraper", like it has almost the same bassline and a pretty similar structure to it. But I don't mind, considering that I love that song to pieces and yours is nice and funky. Something I could definitely rock in my car. "7" is awesome but would be even more awesome to listen to while driving in rain, I feel. Cityloop sounds verrrry old-school, which makes it immediately endearing to me. "Dizzle" reminds me of a Ratatat song for some reason. This sounds like it should be on an Adult Swim bump. Very nice.

A) I'm convinced I need to make my stuff more like this, since the style just rubs me the right way. B) Please make an album full of these and release it so I can download it and listen to it in my car all the time :3:

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
Oh yeah, I totally ripped off the main riff from Skyscraper (I love M+F) without consciously intending to, realised that once I had finished it, I think it's different enough stylistically that it's not a huge deal though. Cheers for your feedback! :unsmith: I will get round to tidying up and releasing this stuff in the summer when I have more time, hopefully.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

seiken posted:

Oh yeah, I totally ripped off the main riff from Skyscraper (I love M+F) without consciously intending to, realised that once I had finished it, I think it's different enough stylistically that it's not a huge deal though. Cheers for your feedback! :unsmith: I will get round to tidying up and releasing this stuff in the summer when I have more time, hopefully.

Good poo poo man. Production level is Pretty Great. I would post a song I'm working on but it has big synths and female vocals and the drop sucks and and and...

boxorocks
May 13, 2007

seiken posted:

That is really chilled out. Personally I make dark / heavy kind of stuff (I really like to create really dark/distorted synths :derp:) but I also quite like to chill out to some simple light hearted stuff.

Just on an arrangement point of view, consider bunching a few more fills/variations on your 8 bar or 16 bar intervals to keep the rhythm interesting. It might pay to make a few 8 or 16 bar variation/transitional patterns when you're making your break so you can shuffle them in later so you don't have interrupt your arrangement workflow (I'm guilty of this so much, I get so lazy I cbf).

Consider yourself followed though! This is the poo poo I make http://soundcloud.com/hostismusic, but I'm currently on pause to learn the ins and outs of my new (old) sampler. Then back to fixing my horrible mixdowns.

boxorocks fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 7, 2012

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
I think you're talking about the drum fills in the last bar of each phrase? If so yeah I definitely need more variation on those, trouble is it takes so much experimentation to get a nice one and then you like it so much!

And cool your stuff is tight, followed that!

seiken fucked around with this message at 12:30 on May 7, 2012

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

boxorocks posted:

Consider yourself followed though! This is the poo poo I make http://soundcloud.com/hostismusic, but I'm currently on pause to learn the ins and outs of my new (old) sampler. Then back to fixing my horrible mixdowns.

What did you pick up?

This is my latest dnb thing finished up: http://soundcloud.com/r4ns0m/r4ns0m-understand

And if any of you are in the DC area, I'm opening for S.P.Y. at U Hall on May 20th. Jaguar Skills is on the line-up too, but I'm not familiar with his stuff, just saw that he is on the BBC regularly and dresses up like a ninja.

boxorocks
May 13, 2007

SUBFRIES posted:

What did you pick up?

This is my latest dnb thing finished up: http://soundcloud.com/r4ns0m/r4ns0m-understand

And if any of you are in the DC area, I'm opening for S.P.Y. at U Hall on May 20th. Jaguar Skills is on the line-up too, but I'm not familiar with his stuff, just saw that he is on the BBC regularly and dresses up like a ninja.

It is an E-MU ultra e6400. I've done a hack to it that makes it easier to load samples on and off. I'm already in love with it :3

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

boxorocks posted:

It is an E-MU ultra e6400. I've done a hack to it that makes it easier to load samples on and off. I'm already in love with it :3

Nice, the CF card mod? I have one as well, but just use a Zip drive to transfer sounds. Need to put time in to some cord patching, experiment with it more.

boxorocks
May 13, 2007

SUBFRIES posted:

Nice, the CF card mod? I have one as well, but just use a Zip drive to transfer sounds. Need to put time in to some cord patching, experiment with it more.

Nah. This is what I did step by step (I took photos as well):

http://i.imgur.com/R1DqW.jpg

I should probably do up a decent bracket for that floppy drive, though.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

boxorocks posted:

Nah. This is what I did step by step (I took photos as well):

http://i.imgur.com/R1DqW.jpg

I should probably do up a decent bracket for that floppy drive, though.

I didn't know the e6400 came with a built in hard drive. IDE at that, no SCSI! So basically you just pull out the removable caddy/HDD everytime you want to upload samples from your PC, and it all works perfectly? Sure as hell beats the floppy drive.

I wish it was as easy for the ESI-2000. Not that I've used it in years but still it was the only thing that used to annoy me about it, especially since I didn't have a SCSI hard drive and I had more than one Zip disc fail on me to make me wary. Actually for all I know it could be as easy, but I don't remember it supporting an hard drive. I think the bigger brother 4000 had the option, and I don't actually think there is too much difference between the two outside of the software and what memory it had out the box.

boxorocks
May 13, 2007

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

I didn't know the e6400 came with a built in hard drive. IDE at that, no SCSI! So basically you just pull out the removable caddy/HDD everytime you want to upload samples from your PC, and it all works perfectly? Sure as hell beats the floppy drive.

Yeah the older firmware just did their own disc format and they originally had a 3.9 gb internal hdd but E-MU updated the later models to 30gb. The last firmware rev allowed the disk to be fat32 formatted which opened the door to this kind of mod.

I tried a bunch of ide to sata bridges to no avail and just hunted for ide caddies. Addonics is one of the only manufacturers still making/supporting and ide + usb caddy so that helped.

Loading stuff on is simple as dropping power to the sampler, plugging the caddy in via usb to the pc then transferring samples and popping it back in the sampler now. :3

edit: and here is my first output using it :) http://soundcloud.com/hostismusic/hostis-running-from-the

boxorocks fucked around with this message at 10:42 on May 8, 2012

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

chrix posted:

DJ Hollow Point - Modern Jungle
http://soundcloud.com/djhollowpoint/modern-jungle

Oh poo poo, I've seen you at The Mousetrap a few times. Big ups for local peeps!

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
The Prototypes - Abyss preview

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008
Listening to all of your guys's tracks as we speak. Some really cool stuff you guys are making. How many of you went to school for music, just wondering? I am pretty far from a music-related major at college but sometimes I wish I could go to school for music production. What are some books/websites that got you started learning on producing music if you didn't learn it at a school? I kind of want to get my feet wet in the business, and I don't think it would be hard to make something that sounds better than the terrible dubstep that kids are producing here in Lincoln.

In other news, I have a little shameless promotion here too. I am just starting to DJ, and I just recorded my 3rd mix - something I can honestly say I am mostly proud of. It's mostly liquid flavors (Very heavy on the Metrik songs) and you guys should check it out and give me some feedback.

http://soundcloud.com/kinetikdnb/moving-fast-v1-firez

Oh poo poo yes this release is going to be huge. Sounds just like something off of RAM. I understand there is some hate for RAM among the heads, but I love 99% of stuff released on there. Needless to say, Pandora/Abyss is going to be my favorite release for awhile.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dr. Goonstein posted:

In other news, I have a little shameless promotion here too. I am just starting to DJ, and I just recorded my 3rd mix - something I can honestly say I am mostly proud of. It's mostly liquid flavors (Very heavy on the Metrik songs) and you guys should check it out and give me some feedback.

http://soundcloud.com/kinetikdnb/moving-fast-v1-firez

:stare: Hot drat, this is fresh!

I feel kinda stupid for posting my song earlier because yours and seiken and boxorocks' stuff are all way better than mine. SUBFRIES too, your stuff is always great.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 21, 2012

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

Huh, this isn't bad, huge HYC-era pendulum vibe going on which is fine by me!

quote:

Listening to all of your guys's tracks as we speak. Some really cool stuff you guys are making. How many of you went to school for music, just wondering? I am pretty far from a music-related major at college but sometimes I wish I could go to school for music production.

I study math. Out of everyone I know who's good at producing, only one of them went to school for music. The most important thing by far is putting in the practice, and probably a bit of natural rhythm and good ear is a plus. I don't know much formal theory, just the intuition I've picked up.

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008

seiken posted:

I study math. Out of everyone I know who's good at producing, only one of them went to school for music. The most important thing by far is putting in the practice, and probably a bit of natural rhythm and good ear is a plus. I don't know much formal theory, just the intuition I've picked up.

You give me hope. I want to get started this summer on it. Most of you guys producing on Ableton?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:stare: Hot drat, this is fresh!

I feel kinda stupid for posting my song earlier because yours and seiken and boxorocks' stuff are all way better than mine. SUBFRIES too, your stuff is always great.

Thanks man! I think I am going to be doing a massive gear upgrade in the near future when I have the funds. I can't afford to import vinyl and whatnot, so I was thinking of getting a Numark V7. Couple of buddies in town use them, and they seem like what I am interested in. Any suggestions on that?

Also your track is really awesome. It's clearly still a WIP, but after some mastering, I can tell it will be a really good track.

Also, boxorocks, your dark tunes are SICK. I had to download "Running From the Thought of You". Just killer stuff. Keep it up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxorocks
May 13, 2007

Thanks Goonstein,

Just rolled this one off too... I've been pretty busy so it took longer than I'd have liked: http://soundcloud.com/hostismusic/hostistastetouchfeel

Have fun! :)

edit: also, I can't say how much fun it is to produce with a sampler. once the roadblock of loading samples on and off was removed there is just something fun about twiddling knobs and pressing butans to edit/change/chop up samples. That and the morphing filters, oh god... :3: