Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

n8r posted:

In theory yes - in practice unless you're way way far away from help its not necessary. If you're talking an open punctured lung you could try to occlude the wound with any sort of airtight material - think lunch baggie. But its probably not necessary because even though a punctured lung is bad its not going to kill you.

Pretty much this.

Granted, I'd use my ID card, but...

Anyone have some good pics or videos of old two strokes? Preferably old RDs, Kawi's, and Suzuki's, but 500cc MotoGP is always appreciated as well :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

Jesus christ. Why is everybody so damned intent on practicing roadside medicine?

Accident -> Call 911 -> Answer dispatcher's questions clearly and succinctly -> Do exactly as dispatcher says. -> Police/fire/ems arrive -> The end.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Thelonious posted:

Jesus christ. Why is everybody so damned intent on practicing roadside medicine?

Accident -> Call 911 -> Answer dispatcher's questions clearly and succinctly -> Do exactly as dispatcher says. -> Police/fire/ems arrive -> The end.

I'm not going to, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with being trained in life saving techniques and knowing how to use them (or having had to use them in the past.)

Sometimes you're too far out for EMS to be an option for 20-45 minutes.

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

If you're actually trained to provide emergency medical care, by all means do what needs to be done.

If not - answer the dispatchers questions and do as they say. The instructions provided to you will likely be more helpful to everyone involved. Dispatch will talk you through anything that needs to be done prior to EMS arrival.

Do as the dispatcher says, not what you once read on the internet. I cannot stress this enough.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Thelonious posted:

If you're actually trained to provide emergency medical care, by all means do what needs to be done.

If not - answer the dispatchers questions and do as they say. The instructions provided to you will likely be more helpful to everyone involved. Dispatch will talk you through anything that needs to be done prior to EMS arrival.

Do as the dispatcher says, not what you once read on the internet. I cannot stress this enough.

This. Please do not go practicing internet life saving techniques on my unconscious body.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Spiffness posted:

This. Please do not go practicing internet life saving techniques on my unconscious body.

Roger, will instead practice internet dating techniques on your unconscious body.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Spiffness posted:

"I swear, Officer, the internet said his penis has to go in there..."

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

"What was I supposed to do to a man bound in leather?"

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

"Officer! With your handcuffs and my leather whip, we can ensure this man gets his rocks off! It's a matter between blue balls, and ... well, blue balls!"

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

If you're that worried about coming across an accident or a buddy of your having one and you helping them out - why not take a first aid course & carry a small medkit around on your bike?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Shimrod posted:

If you're that worried about coming across an accident or a buddy of your having one and you helping them out - why not take a first aid course & carry a small medkit around on your bike?

That's exactly what I've done. I had first aid courses while I was studying, at my first job and as part of a traffic awareness course that gave me lower insurance rates. All of them for free, there are lots of opportunities.

And I carry this:

It's small enough that it fits nicely under the saddle while still leaving room for tools, locks etc.

Honestly, there's absolutely no reason why you should have at least a basic first aid course under your belt and a first aid kit in all your vehicles.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Any sort of first aid kit is probably won't help in a life threatening position. I do think there is some merit in knowing how to help someone get an open airway and putting in an oral airway. Beyond that I could see having a CPR mask to give rescue breaths might help as well. If you're doing CPR on someone in a traumatic accident they're dead anyway (the vast majority of the time) so have fun w/ that. If your buddy is going blue and not breathing on the side of the road waiting for an aid car is simply going to be picking up a corpse if you don't act. Inserting an oral airway and doing a head tilt / chin lift can mean the difference between life and death in certain accidents.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

n8r posted:

Any sort of first aid kit is probably won't help in a life threatening position. I do think there is some merit in knowing how to help someone get an open airway and putting in an oral airway. Beyond that I could see having a CPR mask to give rescue breaths might help as well. If you're doing CPR on someone in a traumatic accident they're dead anyway (the vast majority of the time) so have fun w/ that. If your buddy is going blue and not breathing on the side of the road waiting for an aid car is simply going to be picking up a corpse if you don't act. Inserting an oral airway and doing a head tilt / chin lift can mean the difference between life and death in certain accidents.

If you're going around giving OPA's and NPA's to people like some kind of loose-cannon off duty medic then there's a problem and you more than likely shouldn't carry airway stuff with you??

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Whoooop woop woppw woop woop wwooooooooooooooopppp wooooop

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thelonious can suck snake venom out of me any day :swoon:

Back on topic.

Dude trying to fall off his connie

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Thelonious posted:

Because the unfortunate truth is that accidents happen, and there are places where cell coverage is non-existent, or that are so far out it will take 30+ minutes (on a good day!) for an ambulance to reach you. The last accident my wife and I stopped at to help, another guy had to go ride up the road for another 15minutes before he got enough cell coverage to call 911.

Reasons like this are why I encourage everyone who rides to take a CPR class, and learn basic first aid. Would you rather have someone with half a clue taking charge of your accident scene, or would you rather have a bunch of people who mean well but are completely ignorant standing there doing nothing, or worse, moving you?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Raven457 posted:

Because the unfortunate truth is that accidents happen, and there are places where cell coverage is non-existent, or that are so far out it will take 30+ minutes (on a good day!) for an ambulance to reach you. The last accident my wife and I stopped at to help, another guy had to go ride up the road for another 15minutes before he got enough cell coverage to call 911.

Reasons like this are why I encourage everyone who rides to take a CPR class, and learn basic first aid. Would you rather have someone with half a clue taking charge of your accident scene, or would you rather have a bunch of people who mean well but are completely ignorant standing there doing nothing, or worse, moving you?

I'd wager that at least 75% of all motorcycle accidents occur within cell range and within reasonable time of emergency service. So at least 75% of all accidents shouldn't require fake roadside doctors.

I would rather have people do nothing and call professionals.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
toot toot

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

front wing flexing posted:

I'd wager that at least 75% of all motorcycle accidents occur within cell range and within reasonable time of emergency service. So at least 75% of all accidents shouldn't require fake roadside doctors.

I would rather have people do nothing and call professionals.

So you'd rather have a 1 in 4 chance of having a person die rather than doing something simple like taking their helmet off and opening their airway?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

n8r posted:

So you'd rather have a 1 in 4 chance of having a person die rather than doing something simple like taking their helmet off and opening their airway?

I don't have any medical training.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I do. Don't go down or I'm stabbing you in the chest with a 10 gauge needle, bro.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Slim Pickens posted:

I do. Don't go down or I'm stabbing you in the chest with a 10 gauge needle, bro.

What's in the needle?

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

nsaP posted:

Whoooop woop woppw woop woop wwooooooooooooooopppp wooooop

I feel like this picture could be posted every page and I'd still love it. I like how the caption in the bottom reads, "Performance Bikes."

Because, you know, a Goldwing popping a wheelie is the EPITOME of performance.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

What's in the needle?

Air. Congratulations on your embolism.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

What's in the needle?

The future.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

What's in the needle?

It's not really a needle. And by chest he meant your rear end mouth.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

What's in the needle?

Adrenalin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOoJoTAXDPk

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What's in the needle?

Nothing, it's to decompress a pneumothorax.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

Sagebrush posted:

god are we still on this?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2032191&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=418#post403154434

BlackMK4 I hope you're happy with what you've started.

Seeing as how I just bought a CB125, and Iron and air just featured one, I figure it's only fitting:
http://ironandair.com/featured-bikes/less-is-more-cb125-by-derek-despain/

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Boru posted:

I feel like this picture could be posted every page and I'd still love it. I like how the caption in the bottom reads, "Performance Bikes."

Because, you know, a Goldwing popping a wheelie is the EPITOME of performance.

I love it because of the look the guy holding the handlebars has.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Slim Pickens posted:

Harley tries to emigrate from Japan back to the good 'ol US, gets stuck in Canada instead. :(

If the owner gets his bike back, they should just get it running again and leave the body as-is. Makes for a cooler story.

Someone with HD tracked down the owner

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/05/01/bc-tsunami-motorcycle-owner.html

Sounds like he got hit pretty hard.

quote:

The reports said Yokoyama lost his home and three family members in the tsunami and is now living in temporary accommodation.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I don't have any medical training.

Then get some. It's valuable training that could help you save a life some day. Or to put it another, a person could possibly die because you didn't know what to do in an emergency.

Where I live, you can get prosecuted for not trying to help. I assume it's the same in the US.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Seeing as how I just bought a CB125, and Iron and air just featured one, I figure it's only fitting:
http://ironandair.com/featured-bikes/less-is-more-cb125-by-derek-despain/

That is a very nice bike indeed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

Where I live, you can get prosecuted for not trying to help.

What? How does that work? Does that just apply to people with relevant training, like off-duty paramedics or firefighters or whatever...or could I actually be prosecuted for, say, not providing CPR to someone with a bunch of obvious chest wounds because I don't have advanced training and was worried about puncturing a lung? That concept seems incredibly ill-advised.

Are you maybe thinking of a Good Samaritan law, which protects people from being sued if they try to help someone who's injured and don't do it right, but certainly doesn't oblige you to do anything if you don't feel qualified?

[e] it looks like Minnesota and Vermont both have "duty to assist" laws that apply if you're the first person on the scene of an accident, but you are considered to have done said duty by calling 911 and the penalty for not doing so is just a small fine.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 1, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

KozmoNaut posted:

Where I live, you can get prosecuted for not trying to help. I assume it's the same in the US.

:laffo:

No, it's the other way around. You can get prosecuted for trying to help but doing it wrong.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Z3n posted:

:laffo:

No, it's the other way around. You can get prosecuted for trying to help but doing it wrong.

And, if it's what you do for a profession, you can bill for services rendered.

e: and actually you're only partly right, check out Good Samaritan laws. It all varies by state, of course.

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 1, 2012

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

KozmoNaut posted:

Then get some. It's valuable training that could help you save a life some day. Or to put it another, a person could possibly die because you didn't know what to do in an emergency.

Being prior military I know just enough first aid to leave it to the professionals. Nothing I can do will save a life. The best I can do is tell them to keep still and try to talk to them to keep them calm. I had a solar blanket in my pack that I put over a dude once, he really appreciated that.

Motorcycle accident always go three ways. The first, the person is relatively fine and there's nothing you can do for them as a medical layman. The second, the person is really hosed up and there's nothing you can do for them as a medical layman. The third, the person is dead and there's nothing you can do for them.

Short of becoming an EMT there's really no amount of training that I could reasonably get that would make me an actual asset on the scene in a medical sense. The best I could do is report it, stay with the rider, provide emotional comfort, pick up their bike etc.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

That really isn't true. A lay person can do simple things like make sure the person's airway is clear. You can have all sorts of accidents where if all you do is make sure the person has a chance to breath you will save their life.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I always carry stimpacks on me at all times for situations such as this. I also use them on myself when I get hit with that 2:30 feeling.

Ahh that's the stuff

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Motorcycle accident always go three ways. The first, the person is relatively fine and there's nothing you can do for them as a medical layman. The second, the person is really hosed up and there's nothing you can do for them as a medical layman. The third, the person is dead and there's nothing you can do for them.

Motorcycle accidents don't always go one of three ways, there are a million things that can happen and go wrong. People can be in shock with broken limbs and a whole bunch of other things that aren't covered by your three categories.

Sagebrush posted:

What? How does that work? Does that just apply to people with relevant training, like off-duty paramedics or firefighters or whatever...or could I actually be prosecuted for, say, not providing CPR to someone with a bunch of obvious chest wounds because I don't have advanced training and was worried about puncturing a lung? That concept seems incredibly ill-advised.

Allow me to clarify. In Denmark, you can be prosecuted for not helping to the best of your abilities. For completely untrained adults, this includes stopping the accident in progress, preventing further accidents and calling emergency services. For police, paramedics, firefighters etc., the bar is obviously much higher.

§250 of the Danish criminal code states that if you deliberately place another person in a helpless situation or leave a person under your care in a helpless situation, the penalty is imprisonment for up to 8 years.

§254 states that unless the situation would place you in significant danger, if you do not help a person in a life-threatening situation or take the necessary steps to assist in a rescue of persons in a life-threatening situation, you can be fined or imprisoned for up to 2 years.

§9 of the Danish traffic code states that if you are involved in an accident, it is your duty to help any injured parties to the best of your abilities. You must also assist in preventing further accidents by putting up warning triangles etc., the penalty for not doing this is a fine or imprisonment for up to 1 year.

Keep in mind that the Danish licensing tests have included a basic traffic-oriented first aid course since 2006, and most people been through one as part of their jobs. So there is a reasonable level for what "to the best of your abilities" entails.

And obviously we have good samaritan-type laws as well. You can't be sued or prosecuted if you did the best you could under the circumstances, but of course you can be sued if you royally gently caress up and a judge rules that you should have known better.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KozmoNaut posted:

§250 of the Danish criminal code states that if you deliberately place another person in a helpless situation or leave a person under your care in a helpless situation, the penalty is imprisonment for up to 8 years.

Do not ever give someone a VFR/Magna 500/750 and just say "all it needs is a carb cleaning!" in Denmark or your rear end is going to prison for an octet!