Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Doh004 posted:

This came out alright. It was lacking a lot of curry flavor and I think I would attribute that to the lovely Thai ingredients that I had from my local generic grocery store. Here's my process:

- Heat neutral oil up until shimmering, place 5 chicken thighs in
- Brown on both sides, reserve
- Turn down heat, threw in two onions to let get translucent
- Throw in some cumin and toasted coriander, 2 cloves of chopped garlic, fresh chopped ginger
- 3 big tablespoons of the yellow Thai curry paste (lovely Roland brand)
- Put chicken back into pan then pour in two cans of coconut milk
- I put another glob of curry paste in as it didn't seem yellow enough, half a juice of lime
- Throw in sliced red pepper and carrot
- Simmer for ~30 minutes

It tasted like a yellow chicken curry but there wasn't really any sweetness that I thought would have come with the coconut milk and the curry flavor wasn't pronounced. Next time I don't want to use that paste and find the actual spices. Also, I think I should find thai basil and some other herbs to freshen it up more.

How far off was I?

Two tins of coconut milk seems rather excessive for the amount of paste you used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Socratic Moron
Oct 12, 2003
*sigh*
My cucumber vines are being quite generous this year. Other than pickles, does anyone have any nice vegetarian recipe suggestions?

Thank you!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm a big fan of oi muchim. An example recipe: http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJourna...AC%B4%EC%B9%A8/ I leave out the sugar.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Socratic Moron posted:

My cucumber vines are being quite generous this year. Other than pickles, does anyone have any nice vegetarian recipe suggestions?

Thank you!
Using a veggie peeler, "peel" off long strips of them and make that a salad base.
Use the cukes as like a pasta substitute.
Put curls in your martinis/other cocktails.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Vlex posted:

Two tins of coconut milk seems rather excessive for the amount of paste you used.

I was just going to use one, but it didn't cover the chicken completely. That said, next time I'll use either boneless thighs/white meat or just shread the meat when putting it back all together.

Also, I think next time I shouldn't have the skin on either. This seems rather greasy and I didn't use that much oil.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Happy Abobo posted:

Yeah, I thought so. The butcher didn't have any ground lamb on hand so he had to grind it for me. I should've specified that I wanted a lot of fat in there. I think I'll try it with ground pork next time. It's a lot easier to find and at least I'd be guaranteed that it'd be pretty fatty.

you can try doing a blend, too. Pork with a very lamby cut like shank

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Socratic Moron posted:

Thank you!

A few slices in ice water can be quite refreshing.

Make kimchi.

Make gazpacho.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But also be aware that almost all of Alton Brown's flavor profiles suck. His prep method's are generally sound (if overly laborious and byzantine), but his food tastes like poo poo.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Not sure if I'm exposing myself as a kitchen fraud but I've found AB's recipes to be quite rewarding, same goes for everyone I've served them to.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Doh004 posted:

This came out alright. It was lacking a lot of curry flavor and I think I would attribute that to the lovely Thai ingredients that I had from my local generic grocery store. Here's my process:

- Heat neutral oil up until shimmering, place 5 chicken thighs in
- Brown on both sides, reserve
- Turn down heat, threw in two onions to let get translucent
- Throw in some cumin and toasted coriander, 2 cloves of chopped garlic, fresh chopped ginger
- 3 big tablespoons of the yellow Thai curry paste (lovely Roland brand)
- Put chicken back into pan then pour in two cans of coconut milk
- I put another glob of curry paste in as it didn't seem yellow enough, half a juice of lime
- Throw in sliced red pepper and carrot
- Simmer for ~30 minutes

It tasted like a yellow chicken curry but there wasn't really any sweetness that I thought would have come with the coconut milk and the curry flavor wasn't pronounced. Next time I don't want to use that paste and find the actual spices. Also, I think I should find thai basil and some other herbs to freshen it up more.

How far off was I?

This sounds fairly close, but the majority of thai curry recipes I see don't brown the meat before adding the curry. I've seen it like this:

-Either:
a) heat a smallish amount of coconut cream until the oil separates
b) put some oil in a pan
-Add curry paste and spices and cook until fragrant
-Add coconut milk, cook until simmering
-Add some water (optional)
-Add chicken
-Add vegetables (Assuming your vegetables take less time to cook than the chicken).
-Add fish sauce

I've never seen onion in thai curry, but I don't see how that would hurt it either. I've only ever cooked the green variant so it might be in the yellow one for all I know.

A lot of recipes recommend adding water, so that can extend the coconut milk a bit.

I'm not sure if it's worth it to go get ingredients for the curry paste. Some of the ingredients might be hard to track down, it's a whole lot easier to just get a better curry paste if you think that's the problem. I've used the Mae Ploy brand before and it's served me fairly well on the few occasions I've made thai curry (green though). Plus they last a long time in the fridge. I found it at a local asian grocery.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'm agreeing with scuz on this one. I've made a handful of Brown's recipes and they have all turned out very well, and were all well received.

What is it about his flavor profiles that sucks, FGR? Serious question.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I wouldn't say his food tastes like poo poo. I've made a few of his recipes and they've turned out decent. I also wouldn't say his food is particularly good. I think a lot of his success is due to people depending on recipes on their soup cans or boxes of instant pudding mix. His are much better than those, and if you do the prep work reasonably and without a fully fitted woodshop, they don't take tons longer than green bean caserole from cans.

I think his biggest problem is balance. A lot of his food is very one-note. He could do a lot better job on that.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Aren't most of his things presented as just being the gist of how to do it with some ideas for playing around with it at the end? Very seldom is any of it presented as being exactly how you have to do it.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Phummus posted:

I wouldn't say his food tastes like poo poo. I've made a few of his recipes and they've turned out decent. I also wouldn't say his food is particularly good. I think a lot of his success is due to people depending on recipes on their soup cans or boxes of instant pudding mix. His are much better than those, and if you do the prep work reasonably and without a fully fitted woodshop, they don't take tons longer than green bean caserole from cans.

I think his biggest problem is balance. A lot of his food is very one-note. He could do a lot better job on that.
Sorry about your kid, Phummus. Hope it all turns up roses :love:

Anyhooters, yours is an argument that makes a lot of sense, and I sure used to fit the consumer model of "oh look, Campbell's says use their cream of mushroom this way" before I started watching Good Eats. I owe a lot to that show, so I'm a little biased. In defense of the one-note assertion, he's a self-confessed "purist", which may refer to the flat flavor profiles in his recipes. I've always interpreted this as a license to do whatever I like with the recipe, adding this or that until I get it where I like. None of the customization would be possible, mind you, without the confidence to perform them, which I found by way of AB's show and my own knack for tinkering with things that are perfectly fine.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Saying they taste like poo poo is an exaggeration, but I just find that most of his recipes are valuable for the technique rather than the seasoning. Sometimes the dishes just taste flat, and other times the profile is just...odd. Like weird combinations of spices, or pickles or olives where they don't belong, stuff like that.

Don't get me wrong, I learned a lot from his show, own the first couple of seasons on dvd and one or two of his cookbooks. I'm not a hater, I've just come to think his taste buds are broken or something. I have a lot of his recipes that I still use in one form or the other, that have evolved to fit my preferences.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Thanks scuz.

Yes, I agree. Alton Brown is responsible for me getting into cooking as well. Even if I don't use his recipes, his book "I'm just here for more food" made my baking exponentially better (because you can take exponents of a subjective measurement) because of the understanding of the techniques involved.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I think some of Alton's recipes are a little bland but I think that mostly comes from most of them being from his show, which generally focused on individual ingredients for episode themes and stuff.

That said he's not really the world's greatest chef or anything and people online are kinda over eager about him because he's kinda nerdy or whatever I guess?

Good Eats was still a great show for beginner/novice cooks though.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Eeyo posted:

advice

Thanks for this. What did you mean about the oil separating from the coconut milk? This happened with mine. Am I supposed to take the oil out?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Yeah, I can see how his stuff could be kind of one-note or bland. And yeah, his strong point is technique and the science behind it. He's like America's Test Kitchen with a sense of humor.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
He's an artist and educator ahead of being a culinary innovator. He's great if you have little or no exposure and want a good recipe to follow. Perhaps at some point you will graduate from using recipes (and if not, that's totally okay), and then when you begin exploring on your own, you might come back to find his solutions elementary. Like doing calculus for years and then having to fill in a multiplication table.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Bland is the word I would use as well. I've followed his recipes a few times because his techniques are sound, and I love the man to death, but I think he under-seasons. I haven't encountered any flavor combinations that didn't work, but I'll take FGR's word for it - since I generally just reference AB for technique, I probably have less chance of encountering a bad recipe.

His Italian style pork sausage recipe is actually pretty good, but I still ended up doubling the spices and 4x-ing the parsley. I also usually add red pepper flakes to mine for a little heat.

The one recipe of his that was rather disappointing was the mac and cheese. Again, sound technique. But it was totally boring. Sub in some stronger, more interesting cheeses, and increase the total amount of cheese, and you have a pretty decent dish.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Getting my oven replaced (:woop: ) and was going to celebrate by purchasing a 6-pack of Branston Pickle and making welsh rarebit all day. What else can I do with Branston Pickle, or what other sort of baked goods go well with it? Was thinking like maybe mini calzones stuffed with branston and a mild cheese and cream sauce.

RazorBunny posted:

His Italian style pork sausage recipe is actually pretty good, but I still ended up doubling the spices and 4x-ing the parsley. I also usually add red pepper flakes to mine for a little heat.
Yeah! I remember watching that episode and thinking "holy crap, he's telling me to heavily season something?!"

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

scuz posted:

Getting my oven replaced (:woop: ) and was going to celebrate by purchasing a 6-pack of Branston Pickle and making welsh rarebit all day. What else can I do with Branston Pickle, or what other sort of baked goods go well with it? Was thinking like maybe mini calzones stuffed with branston and a mild cheese and cream sauce.

I always keep a jar of it around in case I need to make a cheese sandwich for work. You see, a cheese sandwich with branston pickle is better than a cheese sandwich without.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Doh004 posted:

Thanks for this. What did you mean about the oil separating from the coconut milk? This happened with mine. Am I supposed to take the oil out?

If you just put a bit of coconut milk in the pan and cook it for a while, it should separate, more so than anything that will come from the bulk of the coconut milk. Kind of like rendering the fat out of a piece of bacon for cooking or something (but totally different since it's a liquid). I've read you can skim the thick part from the top like cream from milk. On the other hand, I'm not 100% sure if this can be achieved with canned milk, they might put in some additive to prevent it from breaking, so it's probably best to just use oil initially and add all the coconut milk after sautéing the paste.

I wouldn't remove the oil at the top, since the curry paste has been cooked in it. It has a lot of the curry paste flavor in it. There shouldn't be a huge amount though, maybe the skin from the breasts contributed a lot to it?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Eeyo posted:

I wouldn't remove the oil at the top, since the curry paste has been cooked in it. It has a lot of the curry paste flavor in it. There shouldn't be a huge amount though, maybe the skin from the breasts contributed a lot to it?

Yeah it was probably the skin. And they were thighs, so they were automatically greasier. I'll try white meat next time.

scanlonman
Feb 7, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Anyone know of a good banana bread recipe? Looking to make two loafs.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
Ok, I may have rendered judgement prematurely. I still wish I had cut the rosemary down a bit and used some oregano, but after frying up some slices, I have to say they're not too bad.

I think I agree with the consensus: the technique is sound, but the recipe could use a bit of work.

Happy Abobo fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 1, 2012

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

scanlonman posted:

Anyone know of a good banana bread recipe? Looking to make two loafs.

The Betty Crocker one that uses buttermilk is pretty sound.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Socratic Moron posted:

Thank you!

My mom always made a kind of Italian-ish cucumber salad. Sliced cucumber, red onion, tomato, some good olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. It's probably mostly that it feels like home but it's one of my favorite dishes. :)

Also, a few weeks ago I found wakame at the Asian store and made some Japanese-style cucumber salad, which was also delicious. Cucumbers, wakame, sesame seeds, rice vinegar, sugar, a little bit of soy sauce.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I had cucumber strips with a miso-mayo dip the other day and it was surprisingly good.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Tzatziki is great for so many things.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
I'm trying to figure out the recipe for a local crawfish chowder and could use a recipe or two as a starting point. Here's what it looks like:

I crave this poo poo, even though it's in a restauraunt that only serves beer like budweiser, has a layer of peanut shells on the floor, plays only country music, only has CRT TVs, and is guaranteed to have at least one screaming kid who will most likely spill something on you. It's next to a Wal-mart.

If I went there without wearing pants, I'm not entirely certain they would kick me out or even notice. But they serve a nice crawfish chowder and I want to clone it so I can can puree it and inject it directly into my stomach like I have crawfish diabetes.

It's creamy and thick, and most importantly the crawfish is somehow not chewy or rubbery but very tender. Tell me the mystery of its riddle. I must know. Please share your crawfish (or lobster) chowder recipes and help me get my fix.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
Has anyone had any experience regarding copper diffuser plates? I am stuck with an electric oven. The eye elements have hot (and cold) spots all over them.

Nhilist fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 2, 2012

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Noni posted:

It's creamy and thick, and most importantly the crawfish is somehow not chewy or rubbery but very tender. Tell me the mystery of its riddle. I must know. Please share your crawfish (or lobster) chowder recipes and help me get my fix.

Just guessing, but it's possible that the tender crawfish is that way because it's cooked separately to the chowder and stirred in when served.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

Cross-posting from apparently the wrong thread:

I'm starting to keep track of what I eat, trying to lose a bit of weight and working out to develop some muscle. I'm trying to determine roughly how many calories, etc are in my daily breakfast. The label lists the info for uncooked bacon, what I'm trying to figure out is how much that information is changed by cooking. I figure the calories and stuff would be a bit lower since I'm not drinking the grease that comes off the bacon.

I've tried using the about.com calorie site but the info there doesn't seem to jive with the label. It's Maple Leaf regular bacon, and I have a food scale on the way if that makes any difference. Thanks for the help guys!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Trap Star posted:

Cross-posting from apparently the wrong thread:

I'm starting to keep track of what I eat, trying to lose a bit of weight and working out to develop some muscle. I'm trying to determine roughly how many calories, etc are in my daily breakfast. The label lists the info for uncooked bacon, what I'm trying to figure out is how much that information is changed by cooking. I figure the calories and stuff would be a bit lower since I'm not drinking the grease that comes off the bacon.

I've tried using the about.com calorie site but the info there doesn't seem to jive with the label. It's Maple Leaf regular bacon, and I have a food scale on the way if that makes any difference. Thanks for the help guys!

For starters, if you're trying to watch what you eat, a lot of bacon is not going to help you lose weight. Everything is fine in moderation, but the trivial difference in calories between cooked and uncooked bacon is going to be much less than substituting the bacon for something healther, like a piece of fruit or some yogurt.

That said, I like to use MyFitnessPal (they have both a website and an app) to track calories - it's easy to use and very helpful.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

The Midniter posted:

For starters, if you're trying to watch what you eat, a lot of bacon is not going to help you lose weight. Everything is fine in moderation, but the trivial difference in calories between cooked and uncooked bacon is going to be much less than substituting the bacon for something healther, like a piece of fruit or some yogurt.

That said, I like to use MyFitnessPal (they have both a website and an app) to track calories - it's easy to use and very helpful.

I'm totally new to this "nutrition" thing, and understand that bacon isn't going to contribute much to weight loss. I read that some fatty foods are alright in that they keep you full, and since I've stopped eating most sweets and chips I'm probably not going to be cutting bacon out of my diet. I'll probably be sticking to a bacon+eggs breakfast, and swapping that for greek yogourt and some fruits every so often.

That said, you may have answered my question, in that the difference between cooked and uncooked is rather trivial. I guess I'll just use the 'uncooked' figured when calculating my intake. I'll check out MyFitnessPal a little later today, thanks.

\/ thanks! \/ (it's more like 6 slices, 3 eggs and a tomato with a glass of orange juice and coffee)

Trap Star fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 2, 2012

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
A slice or two of bacon isn't that many calories actually, if it's just a slice or two that's easily equivalent in calories to fruit or yogurt.

Fat is 9 calories per gram so you can weigh the fat that you cook off to calculate how many calories of the bacon you are not eating.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

I don't know how close this is to true, but according to fatsecret, there's a pretty big dropoff in calories for cooked vs. uncooked:

http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/usda/bacon-(cured-pan-fried-cooked)?portionid=33870&portionamount=1.000

I have a hard time believing you cook off 2/3 of the calories though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Fat is more than twice as many calories than protein. If a raw slice of bacon is about 139 calories and a cooked slice is 42 as indicated in that link it means you cook off about 11 grams of fat which is .4 ounces, that sounds about right.