Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

SlightlyMadman posted:

I spoke to an RN.

FYI, RNs are prohibited from diagnosing and clearing a patient. Doctors specifically are supposed to evaluate you. I'm sure she performed a basic neurological exam on you, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

front wing flexing posted:

FYI, RNs are prohibited from diagnosing and clearing a patient. Doctors specifically are supposed to evaluate you. I'm sure she performed a basic neurological exam on you, right?

She's a friend, so yeah it was unofficial, but I trust her opinion way more than the internet's (no offense intended).

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

nsaP posted:

ReelBigLizard posted:

the walkin dude posted:

[helmet chat]
Alright, thanks for the info. I guess I'll just go with whatever fits best and doesn't seem like a piece of crap. I definitely need good venting though because I'm in Texas and it is hot as hell. I'll be checking on their credentials too, of course.

e: Back on topic, in 2010 I whacked my head on a solid piece of steel when I was doing inspections on a wind tower. That poo poo was almost 2 inches thick. I fell over, couldn't see straight for a few seconds, dizzy, and started heaving (but didn't actually puke). Company nurse checked me out, gave me some Tylenol and told me to chill in my office for the rest of the day, she came in to check on me every hour or so. Aside from a killer headache and cloudy thinking, I was fine. Got lucky on that one.

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 1, 2012

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

SlightlyMadman posted:

She's a friend, so yeah it was unofficial, but I trust her opinion way more than the internet's (no offense intended).

No offense taken. But an RN is far loving cry from a neurologist (no offense intended).

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

For what it's worth, the venting on my RF-1100 is really really good. Even the slightest breeze while standing still and my head feels like a Ricola commercial.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Can we please drop this? You're making me want to leave these forums, but if I do that then I'm worried everyone will be super excited thinking I died.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

No offense taken. But an RN is far loving cry from a neurologist (no offense intended).

As an EMT, I can assure you that RNs routinely triage patients and decide if they will even see a neurologist - in fact, in many hospitals nurses essentially run the show for incoming trauma.

You're also assuming that they would call a neurologist into the ER for head trauma - I've personally never seen that, usually it's the on-call physician calling for a scan and then a radiologist/neurologist interpreting it.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Radbot posted:

As an EMT, I can assure you that RNs routinely triage patients and decide if they will even see a neurologist - in fact, in many hospitals nurses essentially run the show for incoming trauma.

You're also assuming that they would call a neurologist into the ER for head trauma - I've personally never seen that, usually it's the on-call physician calling for a scan and then a radiologist/neurologist interpreting it.

There's a difference between an LPN and an RN. RNs don't make decisions as they don't have the adequate knowledge to do so or legal authority to do so. Triage is quite different.

No they wouldn't call a neurologist to see you in person. But a radiologist/neurologist will read your scan, not the ER physician as that's no their forte.

Basically what I'm saying is there is no way in hell a patient would walk into an ER stating they have impacted their head and have an RN say their fine without a REAL physician make an assessment or decision along the line.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

There's a difference between an LPN and an RN. RNs don't make decisions as they don't have the adequate knowledge to do so or legal authority to do so. Triage is quite different.

No they wouldn't call a neurologist to see you in person. But a radiologist/neurologist will read your scan, not the ER physician as that's no their forte.

Basically what I'm saying is there is no way in hell a patient would walk into an ER stating they have impacted their head and have an RN say their fine without a REAL physician make an assessment or decision along the line.

RNs do, in practice, make a lot of decisions that determine the care you're going to get. Try hanging out in a busy hospital in a poor area on a Friday night - I've spent quite a few there.

Besides, I'd rather have a seasoned RN tubing me than some tooth-breaker doc who hasn't touched a laryngoscope since med school.

And if you read my post, you'd have seen that I never said an ER doc would read scans.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Speaking of helmets, there's pretty much zero chance that a helmet can be reusable after even a minor impact, right? I of course wouldn't even consider riding with it again unless I sent it back to Shoei for inspection, but I'm wondering if I should even bother sending it in to be inspected?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

I don't know. I'd personally rather have someone with tested critical and higher level thinking skills. Nurses can emulate a DRs actions but they're not trained in practing medicine. For instance, they're not responsible for knowing drug interactions, nor are they accountable for making a mistake, they're awesome at reading the charts and orders and administering meds though. I'd much rather have a nurse give me an IV. But then again, we don't train doctors fir over a decade to stick a needle in someone.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

The EPS foam in the helmet will compress in an impact to absorb energy, so I doubt it's going to be usable. Dropping a helmet is fine, but having anything inside may cause a dent.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

MotoMind posted:

The EPS foam in the helmet will compress in an impact to absorb energy, so I doubt it's going to be usable. Dropping a helmet is fine, but having anything inside may cause a dent.

Yeah, I guess my question is whether or not there's ever been a case of a helmet surviving in a crash where it impacted, or if it's absolutely 100% certain to be ruined?

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

SlightlyMadman posted:

Thank you, I appreciate the concern, but I am suffering zero symptoms at this point, and have spoken with a Registered Nurse about it who gave me her qualified opinion that all a hospital would do is give me an expensive scan I don't need. I apologize for being an rear end in a top hat to everybody, I was a little stressed out because of the crash, but I do appreciate that everyone is trying to help.

Can someone just check SM's post history? If they only turned to poo poo today, he has a concussion.

OTOH, if he has always been a bad poster, he was dropped on his head as a child.

Ofc, my posting is horrid, and I still wear a helmet. So . . .

Realtalk - if you really high-sided onto your loving head and (a) are too cheap to see a doctor; and (b) are asking this forum if the helmet that saved your empty skull is "for sure" no longer usable, then there is no fixing you.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

SlightlyMadman posted:

Yeah, I guess my question is whether or not there's ever been a case of a helmet surviving in a crash where it impacted, or if it's absolutely 100% certain to be ruined?

There is very little statistics on helmet crash survivability and even less hearsay. So that route is out.

Outer shell damage is pretty easy to spot. A crack, hole, mayor belt sanding action, etc. is very visible. However, eps foam damage is harder to spot, since you can't see internal damage from the outside. You need to x-ray the foam to check the integrity.

If you've bonked your helmet with a head in it, it is safe to assume SOME foam has been compressed. This alone would make the helmet unsafe.

Sorry to say that yes, you need a new helmet.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

SlightlyMadman posted:

Send it to Shoei. I crashed at about 80 on the track with mine and my head impacted the ground, left visible damage on the helmet. Sent it to Shoei and they said it was fine.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

-Inu- posted:

Send it to Shoei. I crashed at about 80 on the track with mine and my head impacted the ground, left visible damage on the helmet. Sent it to Shoei and they said it was fine.

Awesome, thanks! I couldn't have been going more that 20 so this gives me hope.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

-Inu- posted:

I really, really dislike the idea that I could crash at that speed on the track, leave visible damage on the helmet, and still have the helmet be ok...isn't the whole point supposed to be that it compresses when you smack your head on the ground?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Z3n posted:

I really, really dislike the idea that I could crash at that speed on the track, leave visible damage on the helmet, and still have the helmet be ok...isn't the whole point supposed to be that it compresses when you smack your head on the ground?

I can't imagine Shoei would risk the liability of claiming a helmet is safe unless they were 100% sure it still was. Not just because they're nice guys or anything, but if they did that and somebody got into another crash and ended up a vegetable, their family could sue the poo poo out of them.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Z3n posted:

In some regard, yes, but considering that it's a company risking being sued for serious damage and losing out on the purchase of another helmet from their company, I'd assume that they're being honest about it, at least.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Z3n posted:

Well, it was a gentle lowside so my head didn't impact the ground hard like it would in a highside or similar type of crash.

toolshed
Sep 1, 2001

Z3n posted:

What you're saying without realizing it, is that all damage isn't created equal.

Scraping the side of your head briefly at 80mph could leave as much or more visible damage as landing directly on it at 20mph. Of course, the forces dissipated by the EPS foam would probably be much higher in the latter scenario.

vvv Agreed - at worst you're out the cost of shipping. At best, you've saved the cost of a new helmet.

toolshed fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 1, 2012

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I'm obviously not going to get my hopes up or anything, but that at least tells me it's worth sending it in to get checked out before I just chuck an expensive helmet in the bin.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

SlightlyMadman posted:

I can't imagine Shoei would risk the liability of claiming a helmet is safe unless they were 100% sure it still was. Not just because they're nice guys or anything, but if they did that and somebody got into another crash and ended up a vegetable, their family could sue the poo poo out of them.

Oh, I'm sure the helmet is fine. That's not what I'm concerned about...I'm more worried about the actual choices that went into the stiffness of the EPS liner in the helmet itself, ie. it's designed with stiffer foam to pass the SNELL double hit test, and that reduces the protection in lower impact accidents.

You can see the article that started this sort of controversy here:
http://www.westcoastweasels.com/archives/PDF/Blowing_the_Lid_Off.pdf

-Inu- posted:

Well, it was a gentle lowside so my head didn't impact the ground hard like it would in a highside or similar type of crash.

Ahh, ok, I see. I wasn't sure how hard you hit your head, I figured that when you said you hit it the ground that you hit it with some significant force. I've had a 70ish mph off where my head never even hit the ground, I was at basically full lean in the corner and lowsided and just sort of gently skipped off the track. It was like rolling onto my back in bed but at 70mph.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

SlightlyMadman posted:

I'm obviously not going to get my hopes up or anything, but that at least tells me it's worth sending it in to get checked out before I just chuck an expensive helmet in the bin.

Nope not worth it. Plus you owe me $20 for e-doctoring you. Save the money on shipping and send it to me.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

SlightlyMadman posted:

Decommissioned helmets make for great target practice. If you hit them in the right place, you can walk them down the range.

DSC_2270 by camerazn, on Flickr

Bonus picture: This helmet was hit with a .50BMG round at about 100 yards. It was knocked 3 feet into the air and 10 feet backwards.

Entry (through the visor):

DSC_2272 by camerazn, on Flickr

Exit (low center):

DSC_2271 by camerazn, on Flickr

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

Ahh, ok, I see. I wasn't sure how hard you hit your head, I figured that when you said you hit it the ground that you hit it with some significant force. I've had a 70ish mph off where my head never even hit the ground, I was at basically full lean in the corner and lowsided and just sort of gently skipped off the track. It was like rolling onto my back in bed but at 70mph.

Sounds like my colorado crash, except at lower speeds, tighter corners, more dong riding, and ended up with my bike falling off a cliff :downs:. It was almost relaxing as I was sliding across the pavement.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Decommissioned helmets make for great target practice. If you hit them in the right place, you can walk them down the range.

DSC_2270 by camerazn, on Flickr

Bonus picture: This helmet was hit with a .50BMG round at about 100 yards. It was knocked 3 feet into the air and 10 feet backwards.

Entry (through the visor):

DSC_2272 by camerazn, on Flickr

Exit (low center):

DSC_2271 by camerazn, on Flickr

These are awesome because they show exactly how strong modern helmets really are. :)

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

SM:
Did your "nurse" "friend" tell you to not do any activities that could expose you to another concussion for probably 6 weeks or so?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
What kind of health insurance/jobs do you guys have, and can you guys hook me up?

While I completely agree that he should have gone to the hospital, I also realize that it can be a tough decision to fork over $5k (since any ER visit with any kind of advanced radiology will cost this much) or so especially when there's a possibility you may be completely fine. Again, it's not what I would do, but have a little empathy for folks that may not have $5k+ in cash on hand at any one moment (the majority of the US population).

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

There is no reason he needed to go to the ER in the first place.

There is also no reason a doctor would order a CT scan unless it was medically necessary.

I imagine he would have left any sort of a walk in clinic with a bill <$150.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Radbot posted:

What kind of health insurance/jobs do you guys have, and can you guys hook me up?

While I completely agree that he should have gone to the hospital, I also realize that it can be a tough decision to fork over $5k (since any ER visit with any kind of advanced radiology will cost this much) or so especially when there's a possibility you may be completely fine. Again, it's not what I would do, but have a little empathy for folks that may not have $5k+ in cash on hand at any one moment (the majority of the US population).

Are you saying that's the cost with insurance or without?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

n8r posted:

There is also no reason a doctor would order a CT scan unless it was medically necessary.
Patient presented excellent insurance with a low deductible, so we ran him through the $100M MRI machine we haven't paid off yet several times at $500/hour, just to be sure there were no internal injuries.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Yah that's not how medicine works even with how hosed up our medical system is.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Not to mention he specifically said he had lovely insurance with a high deductible.

This thread has been a fun read.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

nsaP posted:

Not to mention he specifically said he had lovely insurance with a high deductible.

This thread has been a fun read.

You think it was a tough read? Try reading it while your brain hemorrhages inside your skull while struggling to resist death's sweet sleepy embrace. I should really get my bike out of this intersection.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

n8r posted:

There is no reason he needed to go to the ER in the first place.

I imagine he would have left any sort of a walk in clinic with a bill <$150.

Oh, you mean like the walk-in clinics that are staffed with PAs and RNs usually? The ones that apparently aren't qualified to make decisions like "clearing" someone with a head injury?

And I don't know what planet you live on where radiology is only ordered under the strictest circumstances. I know I want to live on it, because I've seen MDs order advanced radiology only after they know the patient has insurance. As in, I've personally seen it with my own eyes. Maybe it was an anomaly, though.

Are you saying that's the cost with insurance or without?

Considering he has a $5k deductible and an ER visit + advanced radiology would almost certainly be more than that, I'd say with. That's assuming he doesn't have copays or coinsurance, that he preauthorized his visit to the ER if his insurance requires it, and that he is fully reimbursed the first time he is billed with zero billing mistakes.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 2, 2012

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
At least at the end of it we can confidently diagnose you with a thick skull, concussion or no.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

I wake up to 70 odd new posts in this thread and was worried something had happened to someone. Turns out there was a minor crash, some self diagnosed mild concussion and a bit of sperging, ah SA.

Without turning this into a social welfare discussion, as an Australian it boggles my mind that someone would suffer a mild concussion and not go to the hospital to get himself checked out, or would pass up a ride to the hospital by the EMT's just to save a few bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Aargh posted:

just to save a few bucks.

Hah, you think anything in the American healthcare system is "a few bucks".

A woman I know broke her arm in an odd way and had to have it surgically set with some pins and screws. Three days in the hospital, one 90 minute operation, and some mechanical hardware and morphine. They billed her insurance company $78,000.

• Locked thread