Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thArf
Oct 9, 2009
While the LS2 and above computers are very well calibrated from the factory there is still a considerable amount of torque management which can be removed to free up power. Massaging the timing tables is also useful and the acceleration enrichment on the factory cars is pig rich, leaning them out to ~12.7:1 AFR has shown to improve peak HP considerably without risk of detonation or other failures. If this sounds off to some of you consider that the LSX is capable of running leaner for longer than the traditional small block chevy or other engine types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Cool. How much would a tune run? And what's the GM tuning mechanism, anyways?

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
I usually charge 290 but for SA members I'll offer 260. If you want dyno time it will end up being ~450 total. With stock injectors/cam there isn't really a need for dyno time. I also sell a unit which you would own which can tune eight vehicles and you receive your tunes via email. Lots of new vehicle owners go for this as they can switch to stock at any time. I assume you're talking about a mostly stock LS7 vette, correct?

I use https://www.efilive.com

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

thArf posted:

I usually charge 290 but for SA members I'll offer 260. If you want dyno time it will end up being ~450 total. With stock injectors/cam there isn't really a need for dyno time. I also sell a unit which you would own which can tune eight vehicles and you receive your tunes via email. Lots of new vehicle owners go for this as they can switch to stock at any time. I assume you're talking about a mostly stock LS7 vette, correct?

I use https://www.efilive.com

Completely stock '08 Z06, yeah. I saw you explain the EFILive in the Colorado thread I'll read the link.

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
From last weekend at Englishtown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JinyGE0oh0M

The ASD/SIKKY cars are both LSX and both run my tuning.

Thought it was a pretty cool edit, enjoy.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I like the sound of the shop up in Nashua a bit more - more blowing stuff up, wrenching, and chilling rather than being sold tuner stuff... personally, I also don't have any LSx vehicles nor any real need to run my truck on a dyno.

8 days out and the weather forecast (ha!) is looking good...

We are probably gonna put CommissarGribbs' lift on his YJ this coming Monday at my place if anyone feels like hanging out. Beer's free, thermite testing will take place I'm sure (just got my magnesium ribbon, and already have the thermite ignition powder, which works quite nicely I might add), depending on how things go maybe a short wheeling run after it's back together and/or pavement testing.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

We are probably gonna put CommissarGribbs' lift on his YJ this coming Monday at my place if anyone feels like hanging out. Beer's free, thermite testing will take place I'm sure (just got my magnesium ribbon, and already have the thermite ignition powder, which works quite nicely I might add), depending on how things go maybe a short wheeling run after it's back together and/or pavement testing.

:waycool:

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

All packed up and ready to make the drive to Southbridge.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Gonna f5 this thread all day tomorrow expecting progress.

Also, grandmother is on deathwatch, hopefully I can still make it to #NEAI...

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
What are the details on this weekend's meet? All I know is Saturday at Kastein's

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Hillridge posted:

What are the details on this weekend's meet? All I know is Saturday at Kastein's

I'm in 100%.

ChrisGT and I will probably convoy down from Maine? Maybe hit some junkyards looking for subaru poo poo to throw in my gutted RS on the way down?

I'm bringing two cases of beer.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I'm at kasteins forest moon of endor jeep workshop now waiting for him to show up.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Slow is Fast posted:

I'm in 100%.

ChrisGT and I will probably convoy down from Maine? Maybe hit some junkyards looking for subaru poo poo to throw in my gutted RS on the way down?

I'm bringing two cases of beer.

I'm up to head down whenever. I'll bring a tarp so I can throw subaru drivelines in the back of my car. As long as we can load them out when we get to kastien's. Both for paved road hooning and so I can sleep in my car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You don't want to sleep in kastein's haunted house?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You don't want to sleep in kastein's haunted house?

I'd rather not get asbestos poisoning.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Pick me up a sohc EJ25 if you are going to be stocking up on parts on the way down. I'll pay you in beer.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I want to go, but I also want to check out this RB swapped 240sx in RI.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Billy Tully posted:

Pick me up a sohc EJ25 if you are going to be stocking up on parts on the way down. I'll pay you in beer.

I already have dibs of the first seven. HAH.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
It looks like I'm stuck in Queens until Saturday night, but maybe I can join in on Sunday, if anything is happening

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

chrisgt posted:

I already have dibs of the first seven. HAH.

rear end, if I'm going to have two cars with SOHC's I'm going to need like 3 more.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Slow is Fast posted:

rear end, if I'm going to have two cars with SOHC's I'm going to need like 3 more.

I don't have any cars with 2.5 SOHC motors, in fact, only one of my cars has a SOHC motor at all.
So I need some 2.5 SOHC love too :D haha.

I'm still quite certain I could make a 2.5 SOHC work in the older DOHC cars.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
We just finished the front lift on Commissar's jeep, currently working on the back lift. It's got some mad prerunner stance right now, yo.

Leaf eye bolts suck. Every single one so far except the first we pulled was seized into the center sleeve in the bushing, resulting in a lot of oxyacetylene torch usage, angle grinders, big hammers, chisels, prybars, etc... plus a few rusty brake lines. Everything else has generally gone according to plan.

Details - I'm not sure how to tell everyone what the address is / directions etc without posting them on the open forums, but will probably come up with something. Ideas? It's probably starting sometime in the late morning to early afternoon.

My family has decided they are coming down to see my progress working on the house Sunday afternoon, so hopefully there aren't still hungover people wandering around by then, we'll see. I doubt they'll show up anytime before about 2-3pm.

As for stuff to do -
- thermite is a go. I think I've got the mix and ignition method perfected now. Around 14lbs of oxide and 8lbs of aluminum left, so I have enough on hand for ~20lbs of thermite, if someone can bring 10lbs of red iron oxide, make that 32lbs of thermite left.
- small engine, big turbo is probably a go, I don't have any engines on hand to do it with or I'd start welding up some manifolds ahead of time.
- we can wrench on whatever people bring, etc.
- did anyone ever find any gallium? I can't afford to buy any at this point, unfortunately.
- there is parking on the street for street cars, and on the dirt road for rally/offroad vehicles and trucks.
- depending on turnout we can either hit the only twisty asphalt road I know of (I'm sure there are others, but don't know where they are) and/or the dirt road and offroad trails.
- the 5 ton is still not fixed... been too goddamn busy. Oh well.
- grilling, beer, possible campfire etc should go without saying.

edit:
- also, rockets are a very possible event... we tested them Saturday and caused a few horrible failures, but figured things out a bit better. Hopefully the next round will work perfectly. Also found that it's only $16 to get my 40cf oxygen tank filled, which is nice because we can empty it in a few tests if they're big ones.

Ace has helped me gut the second floor of my house a bit recently, and I can't thank him enough for that. If I manage to get a few solid days of work into it, we SHOULD have at least one good clean room upstairs in the house for crash space, bring a sleeping bag or something. I can't guarantee it, so anyone planning on getting drunk and staying overnight should probably bring camping equipment anyways unless I state otherwise later in the week.

Oh - my neighbor is a retired cop. He is pretty cool about everything but may or may not be very "smoke" friendly. I'm not too sure. If the wind's blowing the other way, do whatever, if it's blowing toward his place or fairly still, it might be a good idea to keep it tame... ask me which way his house is first, please. I could care less personally, I just don't want to cause an issue with him, and completely forgot this until he mentioned it to me a few weeks ago while warning me that the police nearly ticketed me for not putting my garbage in a proper garbage can, and that I only escaped it because the officer asked him first.

kastein fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 8, 2012

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I'll post the awesome photos tomorrow.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

kastein posted:

:words:

Details - I'm not sure how to tell everyone what the address is / directions etc without posting them on the open forums, but will probably come up with something. Ideas? It's probably starting sometime in the late morning to early afternoon.

Just have people email you for the address, that would seem to be the most effective way to go about it.

Also, I've been up for about 30 hours now.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Thanks to Ace and Kastein for helping me with my jeep. You guys did most of the wrenching and even though I bought you guys dinner I still feel like I got the better part of the deal.

It's too bad we didn't finish but with new springs and the weather conditions on the highway and the fact that it was 3am, I didn't really want to be driving back to Maine by myself.

I would not be saddened if a beefier rear axle somehow made its way in to replace my D35. Hell if you get really bored, I have a laundry list of small problems (the mystery of the fuel gauge that always reads empty, The D30 shifter motor of doom, The wiper system that couldn't ever stay fixed or the carb that's apparently running altogether too rich for example).

Anyhow- here are the pics from yesterday/this morning. Enjoy!

Gas Station in Lowell. Good before "hellaflush"/useless suspension photo.

As soon as I got to Kastein's, he made haste to injure himself a few times and blow up one of his tires.

My kit uninstalled.

Sandbagger positioned on Kastein's deck.

The first leaf installed!

This poo poo's exciting!

The driver's side brake line was torn up a bit and it turned out to be necessary to replace the metal line to relocate it.

The biggest and best cheat bar ever.

OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD...

It broke.

We'll just grind it off!

No? Just torch that fucker!

Dear carfax: please do not include fire damage in your report...

Starting on the D35 end.

I'll have to look up directions on how to make a leaf spring ballista before NEAIfest 2 or whenever I come down next.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 8, 2012

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

How much did you get done / whats left?

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Slow is Fast posted:

How much did you get done / whats left?

all 4 springs are in place. The front shocks and sways are set. the rear shocks are an issue at this point. due to the change in angle, the new shocks wont fit the old mounts.

Other than that, the kit is installed and it looks pretty drat good.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

hahahahah I look like a loving downie in that pic :downs:

The fire and cheater bar ones are pretty accurate though. Also, I'm still not a fan of metal brake lines.

The new shocks are a bit wider since they're heavier duty, which results in them not clearing the axle tube or the sides of the shock mount at full droop.

Other problem - I'm not sure we got the pinion angle shims in facing the right way. I've thought it over multiple times and I usually conclude that we did but it still worries me.

We also didn't put on the track bar drop/alignment kit or the transfer case drop - I figured out what those were only after looking at the description of the kit for sale online.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I shot this last night. It's us tearing the front end off an Audi to replace the alternator. This time lapse covers the first 90 minutes of what turned out to be a 4 hour job. There was so little space that someone had to glue a nut to the end of their (gloved) finger in order to position it so that the mounting bolt could thread into it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4pLstMeyXU&feature=youtu.be

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

commissargribb posted:

This is probably one of the most AI pictures ever. Let's explore why:

It includes all the necessary things to work on any car. That's it guys, you can do anything with the tools pictured.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

That's usually how all my projects look except with more garage and booze

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

that's a can of rustoleum that's been sitting on my porch since last July, when I built my MJ in exactly the same spot.

Also, RECORD BREAKING BREAKER BAR SPOTTED

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

chrisgt posted:

That's it guys, you can do anything with the tools pictured.

commissargribb posted:

OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD...

Yeah, you can do anything with the tools pictured, alright.

:master:

Kastein, make sure you post your email address or something soon.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Good point.

email me at kastein ATSYMBOLTHINGY w1kas.net (yes, the ham callsign :spergin:) for address/directions. Or hell, just internet detective that a bit and I'm sure you can find my address and phone number in less than thirty seconds, either way.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Dont forget to divvy up the BDUs I left up there on saturday :3:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

will do! Thanks a ton for that arctic coat, it's going to come in real handy if I don't have a furnace by this winter.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

will do! Thanks a ton for that arctic coat, it's going to come in real handy if I don't have a furnace by this winter.

Just run an I6 and pump the coolant through a radiator. Should warm your house right up.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
So what time does this shindig start officially?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

ChrisGT is crashing at my place tonight.

I imagine we'll get to mass around 10-11ish and hit up some junkyards till the afternoon?

And then I'll start drinking and wanna finish comissargribbs stupid Jeep.

Once I get drunkenly board of that I expect to haul the seized up block out of ChrisGT's trunk and fill it with thermite.

Seeing a theme here? I'm bringing down two cases of beer lets make this poo poo poppin :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Slow is Fast posted:

ChrisGT is crashing at my place tonight.

I imagine we'll get to mass around 10-11ish and hit up some junkyards till the afternoon?

And then I'll start drinking and wanna finish comissargribbs stupid Jeep.

Once I get drunkenly board of that I expect to haul the seized up block out of ChrisGT's trunk and fill it with thermite.

Seeing a theme here? I'm bringing down two cases of beer lets make this poo poo poppin :colbert:

I'll see your two cases of beer, and raise you two more! :smug: I picked up variety pack 12'ers from Saranac, Brooklyn Brewery and Blue Point, along with something called Mariachi :confused: Idk, it was $8 for a 12 pack and apparently is a South American Corona knockoff.

Also, I realized I have a large case diff out of my BMW that I don't want and can't seem to give away. It's the big 210mm ring gear unit that only fits E31s and E32s, and is an open 2.93 grandma gear diff that everyone swaps out for a 3:15 LS or a 3:64 - so, even though it's in perfect operating condition, it's basically worthless. If I can fit it in my trunk, I'll try to bring it so we can do poo poo with it. Like connect the input shaft to some kind of motor and put things in the gears, or put Thermite on it, or make the AIest blender, etc. All dependent on if I can fit it in my car though, it's not exactly a haulin stuff type of vehicle.

• Locked thread