Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?
I sure hope Shadow Minato or something is the new boss of Score Attack :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

:siren: Patch notes for the P4A update are up! :siren:

There seems to be a fair number of buffs, but one thing in particular could be scary, and that's the no throwbreaking during Fear. It seems like a very good way for Elizabeth to start stacking status effects on someone, especially if that includes purple throws (or the in-game equivalent).

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

S-Alpha posted:

There seems to be a fair number of buffs, but one thing in particular could be scary, and that's the no throwbreaking during Fear. It seems like a very good way for Elizabeth to start stacking status effects on someone, especially if that includes purple throws (or the in-game equivalent).

Fear already does that now actually. And there are no purple throws or anything like that in this game.

(I can't see the page because I'm at work right now :( )

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Fear already does that now actually. And there are no purple throws or anything like that in this game.

(I can't see the page because I'm at work right now :( )

The page lists it as being a change, so I dunno. Anyways, you can have this then:

System changes
after the round ends, you won't get burst meter after 3-hits in a combo
when using SB aka EX moves, you will gain SP meter on top of your SP gain being limited?
fear status: you are no longer able to break throws
max burst: only takes 67% of your burst gauge instead of 68% now
all skills that use SP: your SP gain will now continue even if you use SP moves in a combo
minijump: can no longer cancel the startup into specials

Narukami Yuu
j.2A now combos into j.D
j.D falls faster
2B hitbox has been adjusted
D ziodyne blackout timing (the stage?) is now the same as C's

Satonaka Chie
5B is no longer a fatal counter
SB nouten otoshi (236AorB): knockback on second hit has increased
all specials and SP specials: when charged up, they are all fatal counter
hyper counter (B+D): damage increases if charged up now
god hand (236236CorD): starting proration has been strengthened...?
is now ch state for the entirety of the move

Amagi Yukiko
2B: move is faster overall, duration of the entire move has been decreased
5AA: startup decreased, is faster
SB maharagi: attack startup and persona recovery time is now the same as the D version

Tatsumi Kanji
5B hitback on ground hit and guard is now 0
5B now vacuums on ground ch
j.A hitbox buffed
Ground throw: dash momentum increased, damage up
Uzatte! (B+D) follow up window has decreased, recovery increased
Tsukame! (236+CorD) c ver: if input when crossed up, it'll face the opponent now
Tsukame d ver: when you are on standby the persona is invincible
236236AorB: regarding the chair swing after the attack, the SP gain has been increased on hit and block

Kuma
Dr. Pepper NEO: (soft drink) SP gain has been doubled (20 instead of 10)
Denden Taiko: (thunderbolt atk after landing, causes paralysis) now generates SP on hit or block
Object X: (mudoon curry, causes poison) SP gain is now 0

Shirogane Naoto
03:53 dakanya: fate counter: recovers faster starting from the beginning of the round
03:54 dakanya: seigi no tate, the shield of justice: can only use specials during the hitstop
when the opponent gets caught?

i dont really know naoto at all so i got confused by the next thing and skipped to labrys per request

Kirijou Mitsuru
2B invulernability vs jumping attacks is earlier now
2D has a better hitbox
j.A has a bigger hurtbox and the untech time on ch has been decreased
236236B startup is faster
{4}6+A: for the entirety of the move she is in ch state
Bufudyne: hitbox has been adjusted
Mabufudyne: when her persona is off-screen, the delayed startup has been decreased
Mabufudyne: the range where her persona won't warp has been widened

Elizabeth
C and D Agidyne recovery decreased
Memento Mori now does at least 50% damage minimum?

Sanada Akihiko
5B, J.B: repeat proration... has been strengthened?
J.C recovery increased, increased landing recovery as well
launch? amount has been greatly increased
all D attacks: vacuum effect on airborne opponents has been adjusted
weaving (C ver): lv 0 corkscrew etc followups are no longer possible
specials followed up after sweep: startups are a little faster, startup is now low profile
thunder fist: now paralyzes on block
earth breaker: vacuum effect on airborne opponents has been adjusted

Hanamura Yousuke
no changes

Aigis
Mode Change (B ver): When cancelling Orgia mode, you will gain a little Orgia meter.
Giant Shield of the Goddess 236236(C ver):
Instant Kill:

Labrys
Axe Level: Can no longer generate axe meter via opponent's corpse
Fifth Style, Slash Axe: mashing B+D before the attack will let you charge it
forces counterhit and wallbounces when fully charged
Guillotine Axe: no longer counterhit during recovery?
Stringer "Sword" B,C,D: recovery on all moves has been changed to match the A version's
Stringer "Chariot Punishment" ??? starts up faster

Shadow Labrys
Guillotine Axe: no longer counterhit during recovery?
Fifth Style, Slash Axe: starts up faster
Brutal Impact (A ver.): starts up faster, recovery decreased

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Yosuke's so cool, he doesn't need to be changed at all. I do like how Yukiko's fans're a little better to throw out, though of course Konohana Sakuya's your main source of pinning your opponent down.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah the Fear thing is definitely not a change, unless it's referring to some bug we don't know about.

The rest of it, who knows. A lot of it doesn't make any sense so I'm assuming it's probably a bad translation, or extremely incomplete. Akihiko getting mostly nerfs? Also lets make Chie's Powerup super and R-Action even better while we're at it.

Is this coming from a loke test or is it an official list? If it was a loke test, that would make a lot more sense. Arcsys has a tenancy to throw a lot of random changes in those.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 26, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Is this coming from a loke test or is it an official list? If it was a loke test, that would make a lot more sense. Arcsys has a tenancy to throw a lot of random changes in those.

http://www.arcsystemworks.jp/p4u/topics/update.html

Official list, by the looks of it. I can't read Japanese, so I couldn't say poo poo about the translation quality.

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

Mitsuru got... buffs? :shepface:

Am I misreading things or did they really just make her better, because she already seemed ridiculously good with the range on her normals.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

BurningNinja posted:

Am I misreading things or did they really just make her better, because she already seemed ridiculously good with the range on her normals.

Unless Bufudyne's hitbox adjustment thing means it'll be worse, yeah! I'm not sure at all what's going on at ArcSys when it comes to Super Saiyan Chie and Mitsuru's big hitboxes.

EDIT: In better news, the official site updated with videos of Story Mode, you just need to go to Character, and check out Yu's story mode stuff there.

LightningKimba fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 26, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

BurningNinja posted:

Sounds like about half nerfs and half buffs to me. Keep in mind that none of these changes are very specific, so it's hard to judge what's significant or not. Some of theme are so nonspecific you can't tell if they're a nerf or not. Bufudyne having the hitbox 'adjusted' could go either way for example.

It's also very likely they didn't bother putting in all of the changes, that happens a lot.

Edit: Also, considering Chie lost 5B FC, and I believe that note on Godhand means the MINIMUM damage has been lowered, those are two REALLY big nerfs for her.
Edit2: Though "starting proration" could also mean "initial proration", meaning, the amount of scaling applied to it if it's the first hit of a combo. Which doesn't really matter nearly as much.

Overall the changes don't really seem that huge to me, which is a good thing. Fixing the JCC bug on minijumps was a very good thing so I'm glad that made it in.

The other thing that's kind of bothering me though, is the change to the SP gain after spending SP. I wonder what the reasoning is behind that. That could be a huuuuuuge buff for Elizabeth depending ...

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 26, 2012

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

I think Mitsuru's matches look interesting. I hope she stays strong. Chie losing the Fatal Counter off that 5B though, good times are here mang. I just hope the game remains interesting. Match vids always look interesting and the cast seems really diverse and fun. Yu losing his 2B is pretty funny, nerfed the poo poo out of his door knocker which is kind of sad because he looked really fun and solid even in spite of having that.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx8VKwYUbFQ

Sounds like Teddie and Rise's original voice actors aren't in.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

LightningKimba posted:

Oh god that Teddie sounds like he's trying WAY too hard.

The Rise sounds passable, though.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

LightningKimba posted:

That actually sounds pretty much like Rise to me. If it's not the original VA it's a decent soundalike.

Teddie sounds terrible though... hopefully they just didn't bother getting the actors for the tutorial videos and they'll have them for the full game? :ohdear:

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

LightningKimba posted:

That's UNBEARABLE. Just ain't Teddie without Wittenburg. :smugteddie:

But Rise still sounds like Laura Bailey, or at least the best imitation.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

I guess I'm hard of hearing, since I think Rise's voice is pitched differently than how Bailey usually voices her? No idea. If I ever hear back on who's voicing who, I'll post said notes. 'Till then, Youtube and Twitter are on a storm about this.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

LightningKimba posted:

Rise is the same, Teddie and Chie are different.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

LightningKimba posted:

Well, at least it isn't the dumb Funi'smuchk who's gonna get stringed for not being Wittingburg for The Animation.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Yeah, I think Bailey toned down the pitch for Rise this time. Sad about Teddie, though. :(

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

LightningKimba posted:

I seriously hope this is just a case of getting a temp voice for a trailer, god drat Teddie's original VO loving nailed it and this just sounds wrong :(

God recently after hearing so many issues about contracts and unions I've begun to hate the VO industry.

Lucinice fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 1, 2012

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?
Why would you even care about english voices when they have the japanese audio anways?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Because I played Persona 4 with English voices and they were pretty good??

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Also Teddie's JP voice actor is godawful.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

And Rise/Chie's JP VAs are even worse.

Really, so long as they keep Kanji and Naoto's VAs, I'll be happy. Right now though, I'm wondering who they've got lined up to play Labrys.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

Also Teddie's JP voice actor is godawful.

This. Kappei Yamaguchi doing the most annoying loving voice imaginable.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

S-Alpha posted:

And Rise/Chie's JP VAs are even worse.

Really, so long as they keep Kanji and Naoto's VAs, I'll be happy. Right now though, I'm wondering who they've got lined up to play Labrys.

You usually don't need to worry about Troy Baker, I'm pretty sure ATLUS USA has him on speedial or something.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

dj_de posted:

Why would you even care about english voices when they have the japanese audio anways?

Because I don't speak the japanese? Also because the P4 voices were actually well done and part of what people enjoyed about the game?

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

Hace posted:

Because I don't speak the japanese? Also because the P4 voices were actually well done and part of what people enjoyed about the game?
Pretty sure I can still play a fighting game regardless if they're shouting in english or japanese!

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
Actually this has me worried about P4G (the Vita remake.) I do hope they get the originals to voice all the added content.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

dj_de posted:

Pretty sure I can still play a fighting game regardless if they're shouting in english or japanese!

I could play a fighting game with all the audio muted too but that's kinda besides the point isn't it?

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

El Belmondo posted:

You usually don't need to worry about Troy Baker, I'm pretty sure ATLUS USA has him on speedial or something.

He's basically Nolan North for Japanese games at this point.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

dj_de posted:

You could still play a fighting game if they weren't shouting at all, so what does it "already having the japanese voices" have to do with it

EDIT: Literally "what Bland said". yeah

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It would be nice to play a JRPG with teenage characters who don't sound like they're 40 (for the English voices, I mean).

Seriously, why does that keep happening, it is the Most Annoying Thing. It's also much worse with the female characters than the male, usually.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I liked Chie's Japanese voice in the anime. :shobon: Still, I'm probably going to keep the voices on English when I play.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

PunkBoy posted:

I liked Chie's Japanese voice in the anime. :shobon: Still, I'm probably going to keep the voices on English when I play.
Yeah, "Don!" is just adorable, really and makes an awesome move that so much better.

Teddie's is like hearing cats going though the washing machine though. Only real plus is hearing Yu Imatate him that one time.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

dj_de posted:

Atlus commonly does not leave Japanese audio in their games.

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.

TurnipFritter posted:

Rise is the same, Teddie and Chie are different.

I thought it sounded like her, I guess she's just trying to tone it down because Arena takes place months later or something?

I think what bugs me most isn't her pitch, it's that it's lacking all of Rise's usual tone, inflection and enthusiasm. It sounded more to me like a fandub or something. This tells me more so that there might be more fault with whoever is directing the voices; even the best VAs can falter under a bad voice director. I would also say "well it has been 4 years" but Rise was kind of one of her standard voices.

Then again it's also just a tutorial teaser vid to build hype so no one cared when they put it together probably.

Is that Sam Riegel as Teddie? I feel more bad for whoever it is than anything else. He's obviously trying, but he's trying way too hard and some fans can get pretty crazy...

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So this probably isn't gonna get an Australian release, is it?

Shame, that, I was quite looking forward to it. Oh well.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I thought Arena was only 2 months after the end of 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

PunkBoy posted:

I thought Arena was only 2 months after the end of 4?

He's talking about 4 years since she's voiced Persona 4.

• Locked thread